Scenes that always spark the same response in you

jimmyjazz

On 7/2/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jive Turkey said:

when Red asks for a one way ticket to Fort Hancock, Texas.  i've watched that scene a hundred time, but i still get chills and start to well up.  i know he makes it across the border.   i know he's gonna find Andy on the beach.  but i still get emotional.

I was talking about this movie last night with my gf. Just found out she has never seen it. Watching it now. I am always pretty damn shocked when someone hasn't seen this 

The showdown at Sad Hill from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly never fails to inspire awe. Might've seen it 50 times, but I still sit in wonder at each second.

Every detail is perfect, from Lee Van Cleef's nubbin middle finger and Tuco's cut-up eyebrow to the bloodshoot scleras and brassy fortissimo.

• Hook 'Em 3

Field of Dreams is on right now on the Sundance Channel.  I have it on in the background, but I will watch that final scene tonight.  I'll tear up and wonder what it would be like to "have a catch with" my father yet again tonight.  Damn, I wish I could just not watch this movie when it's on, but I just keep watching and hoping that one day I'll hear a voice. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The showdown at Sad Hill from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly never fails to inspire awe. Might've seen it 50 times, but I still sit in wonder at each second.

Every detail is perfect, from Lee Van Cleef's nubbin middle finger and Tuco's cut-up eyebrow to the bloodshoot scleras and brassy fortissimo.

Rewatched this recently. Such a stupidly good movie. Maybe the GOAT soundtrack, too. 

• Like 1

THIS scene. gah. 

and on the other end of the spectrum..

i literally cannot not laugh at Brad Pitt in this movie. every time. 

it's not as iconic as TBL, but it's every bit as funny 🤣

Edited by mchookem

Just this image in Fargo

brainerd.png?w=596&h=289

I love the Coen Brothers, and it's hard to pick a favorite, but this is probably it and maybe their best movie. But, this scene opening with the music is perfect, and the whole surrounding context to this shot is all perfect. Lundegaard's wife watching Good Morning Twin Cities and not being able to square the reality of what is happening until the glass breaks. Lundegaard's idiot request to borrow money to invest and banging the ice scraper in the parking lot. Lundegaard coming home and seeing the reality of what he's started (and the shower curtain ripped from the rings). Lundegaard rehearsing his panicked phone call and then bungling even that because he didn't expect to get the secretary, and then darkness, a bassoon playing the theme, and the strings coming in as the looming head of paul bunyan enters the screen. The train has left the station.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

At least this link worked...

So here's the story behind this one.

When I was on the 40, I was Costner's character.  Carefree, did what I wanted, clown of the room ... at times at the expense of others.  I had a handful of really good friends and the perfect girlfriend (who looks a hell of a lot like the girl getting married in this movie -Susy Cameron ).  I did not treat the aforementioned well.  I left Austin in much the same way as Costner does at the end of this movie - alone with a lot of regrets.  I never get through the last 10 mins of this movie with dry eyes.

• Hook 'Em 6

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Rewatched this recently. Such a stupidly good movie. Maybe the GOAT soundtrack, too. 

I agree it's really good in a bizarre, difficult to describe way.

The only thing I hate about it is that all the dialogue was was recorded in a studio and dubbed over, versus using the audio recorded on the set.

Gives it an unrealistic quality that is a constant distraction for me.

18 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i agree, you can feel Michael's grief in that scene.

however, the main thing that scene makes me think is just how inferior Sofia Coppola's acting was to literally everyone in that movie lol

She made up for it by being a pretty good director. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

She made up for it by being a pretty good director. 

I'm not suggesting the criticism of her as an actress in that movie was at all unfounded, but I do believe it took on a life of its own and went overboard.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/4/2021 at 2:25 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

At least this link worked...

So here's the story behind this one.

When I was on the 40, I was Costner's character.  Carefree, did what I wanted, clown of the room ... at times at the expense of others.  I had a handful of really good friends and the perfect girlfriend (who looks a hell of a lot like the girl getting married in this movie -Susy Cameron ).  I did not treat the aforementioned well.  I left Austin in much the same way as Costner does at the end of this movie - alone with a lot of regrets.  I never get through the last 10 mins of this movie with dry eyes.

This!

/thread

still gives me goosebumps

5 hours ago, Constant said:

Red coat girl’s body being carted away in Schindler’s List. Just see my daughters laying there. 

My dumbass took my aforementioned (see Fandango above) college sweetheart to see this movie on our 2nd date.  She started bawling about 10 mins in.  I spent the entire movie thinking of anything else I possible could to ignore what I was watching - intramural football plays, TX/OU game, Coke or Pepsi?, etc...  To this day, this is one of my favorite movies ever; however, I've never had the guts to watch it a second time.

39 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My dumbass took my aforementioned (see Fandango above) college sweetheart to see this movie on our 2nd date.  She started bawling about 10 mins in.  I spent the entire movie thinking of anything else I possible could to ignore what I was watching - intramural football plays, TX/OU game, Coke or Pepsi?, etc...  To this day, this is one of my favorite movies ever; however, I've never had the guts to watch it a second time.

You do that same trick a couple hours later while you comforted her?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

The opening to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I feel like a little kid again any time I watch that. 

This sounds super dumb but one of my favorite things about that movie is the typeface they use to establish the opening scene (wherever it is in South America). I don't know who chose that font but they fucking nailed it.

• Like 2

From the emotional/allergies theme that most adopted in this thread, I would submit…

but the scene that never fails to elicit the same emotional response from me whenever I watch, even though it isn’t an allergy scene for me…

• Hook 'Em 1

In Miller’s Crossing, when Tom coldly kills Bernie its amazing scene but, as its a good example of subverting expectations in movies. You were not expecting the protagonist, who had already spared his life, to kill him like that.

I’ve only seen the movie several times, but I always remember the Tommy Gun scene, Bernie groveling in the Pines, Tom scared shitless in the Pines, and the “what heart” scene.

Its an oddball movie, a little slow and dry, but those scenes resonate.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:03 AM, Augustus said:

"But that didn't scare Little Bill, did it?"

Gives me a chill every time.

I could make a list from that movie alone.

"We all have it coming, Kid"

"He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend"

"Its a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I could make a list from that movie alone.

"We all have it coming, Kid"

"He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend"

"Its a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's ever gonna have"

"You still talking about the Queen, Bob, on Independence Day?"

"Innocent? Innocent of what?"

"Who did you shoot first?"

"All I know is who I'm going to shoot next."

16 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

"You still talking about the Queen, Bob, on Independence Day?"

"Innocent? Innocent of what?"

"Who did you shoot first?"

"All I know is who I'm going to shoot next."

"I just don't want to get killed for lack of shooting back!"

"Little Bill?  Scared?"  "Naw, he wasn't scared.  He just ain't no carpenter."

"It ain't so easy to shoot a man, anyhow. Especially if the son of a bitch is shooting back at you.  I mean, that'll just flat rattle some folks."

"Yeah, well a lot of folks called him 'two gun' but that wasn't because he was sporting two pistols. It was because he had a dick that was so big it was longer than the barrel of that Walker Colt he carried.  And the only insulting to a lady he ever did was to stick that thing of his into this French lady Bob here was kind of sweet on."

That movie is a trove of great dialogue.