Scenes that always spark the same response in you

jimmyjazz

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me, it's Upham pussing out while Mellish gets stabbed with his own bayonet in "Saving Private Ryan".  

Every time I watch that film I end up screaming "get up the stairs, you coward".  I bet I've seen it 30 times and it never fails to make me furious, especially since he had started to show a little backbone earlier in the fight, or at least minor usefulness.

Yours?

Same. I also question Ryan curling up in a ball while everyone else is fighting/dying. 

same movie as the OP... but for me it is the absolute last scene.

first time I saw SPR it was a normal scene and a great end to the movie.

2nd time I saw it was 2 weeks after my grandfather, who had served in the European Theater, had died.  The whole family learned at the funeral that he had been awarded a Bronze Star with V device, and Purple Heart - which NO ONE (other than Gram) knew about, not even his two sons who both were officers who served 10+ years each in the army.

That scene where old Ryan falls down in tears at the grave of Captain Miller and  begs his wife to tell him was he a good man, that he had earned the right to live fucking broke me. 

I broke into tears and had to get up and walk outside because I was gutted.    its made it so I cant even watch the end of the movie for me anymore.

Just thinking about it now got the water works going.... 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, that shot has always seemed incongruous with his character.

I always thought Spielberg employed the Upham character as the audience. As a reporter he's an observer, thrown into a deadly conflict. He's "trained", but not for what he's experiencing. That scene was required to show the terrifying impact of war, and the impact of inaction. For the record, I think SPR is vastly overrated & a classic example of Spielberg at his best (D-Day cinematography) and worst (cartoon character development; when in doubt, go for the cheese).

To answer the question, as when that bell rings on the Christmas tree at the end of It's a Wonderful Life and Clarence gets his wings, yeah...I'm gonna have a smile on my face and a tear in my eye.

The Best Years of Our Lives when Homer (Harold Russell) shows Wilma what his reality is when he removes his prosthetics and has no hooks for hands.

No dust, no allergies, just plain old tears.

Glory - Charging Fort Wagner to the end. Hope, glory, and eternal peace.

Kingdom of Heaven (Director’s Cut) - Balian’s night on Calvary, swearing in the men of Jerusalem during battle. 

Conan the Barbarian - the battle of the mounds. 

Edited by Apep

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For me, it's Upham pussing out while Mellish gets stabbed with his own bayonet in "Saving Private Ryan".  

Every time I watch that film I end up screaming "get up the stairs, you coward".  I bet I've seen it 30 times and it never fails to make me furious, especially since he had started to show a little backbone earlier in the fight, or at least minor usefulness.

Yours?

Great kickoff  to the thread.  I get pissed too.  It is a brilliant depiction of how none of us really knows how they’re gonna react when shit gets real. We all tell ourselves we would react to protect our fellow man, right, but then LIFE happens.

For me, it is Men of Honor, admittedly a bit campy/ corny, but Cuba Goodinq. Jr’s passing the impossible set up test in the dive suit as Master Diver Carl Brashear as Billy Sunday( DeNiro) implores him, ‘ Goddamit Cookie, move your ass! I want my 12 (steps.)

Deniro delivers the line after earlier telling the douchebag Captain Hanks that he was all in on Brashear passing the test .

’and what if he fails…?’

‘ He ain’t gonna fail.’

I have seen the movie almost as much as Shawshank or whatever. The scene always elicits a ‘Fuck yeah and fuck you, smarmy prick’ from me.

Edited by slorch

55 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Without a Trace. It came out in ‘83 and its not a great movie by any stretch but if it’s on when I’m flipping channels I’ll watch it to the end. Still get verklimpt when Judd Hirsch finally finds the kidnapped kid and returns him to his mom

Damn good call.  

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Great kickoff  to the thread.  I get pissed too.  It is a brilliant depiction of how none of us really knows how they’re gonna react when shit gets real. We all tell ourselves we would react to protect our fellow man, right, but then LIFE happens.

For me, it is Men of Honor, admittedly a bit campy/ corny, but Cuba Goodinq. Jr’s passing the impossible set up test in the dive suit as Master Diver Carl Brashear as Billy Sunday( DeNiro) implores him, ‘ Goddamit Cookie, move your ass! I want my 12 (steps.)

Deniro delivers the line after earlier telling the douchebag Captain Hanks that he was all in on Brashear passing the test .

’and what if he fails…?’

‘ He ain’t gonna fail.’

I have seen the movie almost as much as Shawshank or whatever. The scene always elicits a ‘Fuck yeah and fuck you, smarmy prick’ from me.

Another good call, favorite scene of mine from that movie is the dive/pipe assembly.  

I still get goosebumps for the whole You're gonna need a bigger boat sequence.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is absolutely mine as well since I never got to play catch with my father. 

Every Thanksgiving/ or whatever occasion my grown ass  boys and I throw the football around.  I think of you fuckers and your Field of Dreams moment.

Fuck my dad too for not being around.

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah right.  Don't be dissing Upham.  You would have refused to jump out of the Higgin's boat on Omaha Beach, you big pussy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I guess the way people are reading this thread is:

Scenes that always spark the same (strong) response in you

I was having trouble with the literal title because I was thinking - why wouldn't the same scene seen over and over again spark the same response in me? 

Gut feeling that scenes that make you angry or laugh probably retain their power over time, and over the top sad scenes probably lose some of their impact.  The only "sad" scenes that seem to stick with me are the ones that are sad because in regular life, shit just ends.

The end of Almost Famous isn't per se sad -- it just fucking gets me every time because stories just always end, and chapters turn.

Shit, the end of National Velvet is sad as fuck, because I loved those parents, and Mickey Rooney goes off to become a Chinaman.

• Like 1