What was your football mud back in the day?

markstanco

Conditioning footballs is a thing. Specific muds in new footballs to darken and make them tacky is real. For fun, just curious what y’all did as kids.

I/we used to use saddle soap and water. Then, some brown shoe polish, maybe a few coats of it. The tacky would last for days.

Speaking, what products does the equipment crew use for texas?

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Speaking, what products does the equipment crew use for texas?

Filtered mud mined from the bottom of the Deleaware River and only umps are allowed to handle . . . No, wait; that's baseballs. For football, we use filtered Bevodung mined from the bottom of the Silver Spurs' trailer.

Don't recall using mud on footballs, just cleaned 'em up with saddle soap if they got scuffed or muddied. As a punter and receiver, I liked them tight as possible and sticky. Did use mud on baseballs, coach had a big ol' bucket of dirt/mud which he would take a couple of scoops out of and make a coffee can full of damp mud. He said it was from his granddad's farm near Greenville, Mississippi, let behind by the Great Flood of '27. Baseballs only, no mud on footballs or basketballs.

Our varsity field went from mud to fieldturf my Freshman year. We also went from a veer option team to a spread/screen team the following year. No more fullback for me only LB. 

On 7/8/2021 at 3:48 AM, slorch said:

broke in our baseball gloves/ catcher's mitts, but never a football.  We just played with them until that waxy shit wore off.

I like to throw my footballs around in the road for a while and let them get a bit scuffed up before throwing them in the truck. 

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Couldn’t care less. Learn it, use it correctly.

Fool, or liar? You could definitely care less and not bother to post about something. You care some, own it.

EDIT: By "you" I mean someone, or other. Never mind.

Edited by Tex Long

30 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Fool, or liar? You could definitely care less and not bother to post about something. You care some, own it.

EDIT: By "you" I mean someone, or other. Never mind.

My post was toward the statement

”James Brown could care less” in a post from a different user.

Good try though grandpa. Keep talking about god knows what from Mississippi.

3 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

My post was toward the statement

”James Brown could care less” in a post from a different user.

Good try though grandpa. Keep talking about god knows what from Mississippi.

Be so good as to go fuck yourself, you snot-nosed little shit. If you actually couldn't care less, you wouldn't have bothered to post. 

By the way, you have misunderestimated the situation: the title is great-grandpa.

Mississippi mud has been used for rubbng up baseballs for many years, although I've heard MLB uses New Jersey mud now. Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Not least, your post appears to be a random post, as it addresses no other post. Learn to quote properly when your post is directed at an antecedent that is not close by. 

But, lastly, learn to actually use punctuation... you know, the odd comma here and there, and period at the end of what passes for a sentence.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Be so good as to go fuck yourself, you snot-nosed little shit. If you actually couldn't care less, you wouldn't have bothered to post. 

By the way, you have misunderestimated the situation: the title is great-grandpa.

Mississippi mud has been used for rubbng up baseballs for many years, although I've heard MLB uses New Jersey mud now. Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

Not least, your post appears to be a random post, as it addresses no other post. Learn to quote properly when your post is directed at an antecedent that is not close by. 

But, lastly, learn to actually use punctuation... you know, the odd comma here and there, and period at the end of what passes for a sentence.

My entire post was about using the phrase correctly instead of sounding like a dramatic 12 year old girl. “I could care less” is a grammatical epidemic. You then tried to use the same routine on me believing I was making a point on this topic of mud. Continue to show no understanding of what’s going on around you old balls.

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

“Learn to use punctuation!” As he yells at the clouds and uses ellipses for some fucking reason

... annddd?

Looky here, grasshopper, if you're gonna rely on insultification to replace actual argumentation, you're gonna need to come up with some new material to plagiarize instead of just regurgitating shit that gets brayed fifty times a day by various surly types.

Snap to it, chicken-fucker... or don't. Pretty sure nobody has an unused fuck to give.

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

... annddd?

Looky here, grasshopper, if you're gonna rely on insultification to replace actual argumentation, you're gonna need to come up with some new material to plagiarize instead of just regurgitating shit that gets brayed fifty times a day by various surly types.

Snap to it, chicken-fucker... or don't. Pretty sure nobody has an unused fuck to give.

You have literally no idea what’s going on. I hope I never get this old.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

You have literally no idea what’s going on. I hope I never get this old.

Literally? Burn, baby, burn.

Fuckstick, you've been warned about your habitual use of plagiarizitizingness. But be fair, maybe you're just a cliche'ster, rather than a plagiarist. If so, go in peace. If not, don't you feel ashamed enough to go fuck yourself?

Either one will do.

As to your age, I suspect your penchant for giving a fuck about things that few, if any, surlies have a fuck to give about, is going to take care of any excess breathing, so you needn't hope for yourself to die at an earlier age, it's pretty much guaranteed.

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Literally? Burn, baby, burn.

Fuckstick, you've been warned about your habitual use of plagiarizitizingness. But be fair, maybe you're just a cliche'ster, rather than a plagiarist. If so, go in peace. If not, don't you feel ashamed enough to go fuck yourself?

Either one will do.

As to your age, I suspect your penchant for giving a fuck about things that few, if any, surlies have a fuck to give about, is going to take care of any excess breathing, so you needn't hope for yourself to die at an earlier age, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Type it again in English

9 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

That or kiss

You prolly oughta be a little wary. All things considered, you (or at least your avatar) are on the fence there, somewhere in between kissable and punchable. No worries from my perspective, on account of you ain't my type, but I can't vouch for the other guy.

• Haha 1

When I was a kid, Former Port Arthur Jefferson Head Coach and UT QB coach Ronnie Thompson lived down the street from my grandfather. This was during the heyday of TJ football with Todd Dodge at QB throwing to another future Longhorn Brent Duhon. Anyway, Coach Thompson would occasionally bring a sack of old footballs home and give them out to the neighborhood kids. There was one vacant lot in the neighborhood that was the official sports field for the subdivision, so sometimes he'd just walk over and dump the bag and say "have fun, boys" and walk off. I think every football I ever had growing up had the Old English PA logo branded into it.