What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Flying into Cancun one time a few years ago, we were probably 400 to 500 feet off the ground on approach when the pilot suddenly punched it and pulled us up outta there to go around for another try. It was sunny out, no rain, and not too bumpy, so I always wondered why we aborted. Another time going into Gatwick on a 747, we aborted pretty low. Pilot came on the comm & said they had to abort due to a fog bank drifting across the runway. Aight. That 747 had amazing thrust. Put us way back in our seats. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1

On Cronk- he was on thin ice (rimshot) even without the storm, but he put his head in the noose last week with the APD contract, possibly on purpose.

Somebody sent me a text last Friday that said “at this point Cronk is doing his job like Dean Wormer has him on double secret probation.”

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

On Cronk- he was on thin ice (rimshot) even without the storm, but he put his head in the noose last week with the APD contract, possibly on purpose.

Somebody sent me a text last Friday that said “at this point Cronk is doing his job like Dean Wormer has him on double secret probation.”

Note to self after seeing Cronk tinkering with a windowless sedan in the City Hall parking garage:  Do not sit in the bleachers on Congress Avenue at next month's Independence Day parade

• Haha 1

Looks like they recovered the missing guy's body from Town Lake. This is the 3rd or 4th guy who somehow ended up dead in Town Lake after walking off by themselves from Rainey Street after a night of partying. That's too fucking odd for it be just just a coincidence. 

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/apd-body-pulled-from-lady-bird-lake

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Looks like they recovered the missing guy's body from Town Lake. This is the 3rd or 4th guy who somehow ended up dead in Town Lake after walking off by themselves from Rainey Street after a night of partying. That's too fucking odd for it be just just a coincidence. 

4 minutes ago, demos said:

giphy.gif

There has been a rash of people drugging men on Rainey, not to rape them but to use their fingerprint/face id to access their phones and then send Venmo/cash app payments to the person who drugged them. Wonder if that is happening and then the drugged men wander into the lake since Rainey is closer to the water. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The bar scene at this point isn't that far off from places like NOLA or Miami. I would actually assume that the average weekend in Austin is livelier than in NOLA. 

That is to say - shit like this is going to happen. It's a consequence of being a destination nightlife city. Maybe this is a linked pattern that can be attributed to one offender but my main takeaway would be that shit like this happens in cities like this. 

This sounds exactly like the Houston Next Door Karens convinced there’s a serial killer killing men and throwing them in the bayou. Murder podcasts and true crime have broken our brains 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 2/6/2023 at 6:41 PM, TKthunder2 said:

How about they spend some money and bury the damn lines at the most tree impacted neighborhoods that way when there is an outage they have less to worry about. Use some of the sweet sweet bike lane homeless hotel money…

People are complaining about trees being cut….digging up yards will cause an all out war in this dumbass city. Fuck Austin.

Yeah, Cronk's gone today. As noted above the APD deal was the final straw, planned or otherwise. He's already clashed with the council over Manley in '20, how to handle the (ongoing) camping issue and then there's this ice storm fiasco. There are four members of the current council who voted to give Cronk a $38,000 raise 60 days ago. Of course, two of those are sponsoring the meeting / execution that will be occurring today. 

On to the next city manager and the 2, or 22, consultants that will no doubt be engaged. As with most anything that this council / tribe of buffoons undertakes it's not about making a good decision. It's about simply hoping we'll see a minimal level of idiocy that no doubt will occur, somehow or someway.

• Hook 'Em 4

Has that pay increase for Cronk gone into actual effect yet?  If he's been paid a portion of it, that should come off his severance package.  I know it won't though, because maths.  And yeah, shitcanning Cronk was long overdue, the ice storm thing wasn't all on him though.  But we're gonna wander the fucking desert again paying consultants (as stated above) and search firms hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire another incompetent who'll be presented to us a "Game-Changer!"  And 3-5 years from now, we'll right back to this exact same moment.  

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Has that pay increase for Cronk gone into actual effect yet?  If he's been paid a portion of it, that should come off his severance package.  I know it won't though, because maths.  And yeah, shitcanning Cronk was long overdue, the ice storm thing wasn't all on him though.  But we're gonna wander the fucking desert again paying consultants (as stated above) and search firms hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire another incompetent who'll be presented to us a "Game-Changer!"  And 3-5 years from now, we'll right back to this exact same moment.  

No doubt. Still, I'm somewhat hopeful that with a new council just sworn in, there's a big change happening at the top of city management. Cronk has a hard fucking job, but I can't really think of anything that went smoothly with him in charge. Homeless especially was and still is a debacle. This police contract is just weird. 

I hold hope that this is Watson, et. al, making a statement that this isn't Adler's limp council anymore. 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

This sounds exactly like the Houston Next Door Karens convinced there’s a serial killer killing men and throwing them in the bayou. Murder podcasts and true crime have broken our brains 

C'mon... maybe he ate some Halloween candy that looked like Fentanyl? 

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

C'mon... maybe he ate some Halloween candy that looked like Fentanyl? 

This series of dead men is kinda weird.  As stated upthread, Austin is just becoming a party destination just like New Orleans.  Even if they're here for a work conference, they are fanning out to Rainey Street, East Austin, West Sixth in larger and larger numbers so statistically more deaths are gonna happen.  I'm sure there was an uptick like this during the really big proliferation of Dirty Sixth in the 80's and 90's...we just didn't hear about it with limited media.  The other element besides pedestrian fatalities is there are two points on Rainey where you could stumble rather quickly into the water without much difficulty---behind the Travis/MACC area and then at the southern tip of Rainey proper.  You can drag yourself from the front door of a nearby bar into where you can't stand up in Town Lake within 90 seconds if nobody stops you. 

To this point...whatever happened with all that fentanyl that was supposed to kill millions on Halloween (like Halloween 3, but instead of masks...fentanyl)?  The same Karens that told me "These kids today, the helicopter parenting style isn't healthy.  In my day, we trick or treated by ourselves on Halloween and ate all the candy that week.  Even the candy with  nuts in it, none of it was organic.  We stayed out until all hours of the night.  Nobody claimed about insensitive costumes or any of that crap.  People get so worked up about Halloween" lost their fucking minds and insisted they examine and test every piece of candy their kid got for fentanyl or monkey pox. 

Back to Austin---big meeting starts in 15 minutes.  I may have to tune in on ATXtv to see the fireworks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

^
This.  There isn't a fisherman's bar or dive in the Northwoods of MI/WI/MN where the bartender didn't have some story for us of some shitfaced patron trying to walk back to his cabin and ending up dead in one of the lakes.  

There's way more people down on Rainey now and once that Waller project gets finished out---there'll be even more places to fall in/pedestrian bridges to fall off of/etc.  I don't know where these 3 or 4 dead men turned up (as much as we crack wise, Town Lake does have a wee bit of a current).  But I could easily see them starting out near the convention center/downtown restaurants/that cluster of hotels near CC...start at north end of Rainey and just bar crawl south until they find themselves stumbling around in the dark across the hike and bike trail and plonk!...right into the water where they are disoriented or panic and end up where it's 18 feet instead of 18 inches.  

Watson going to do jack about the new homeless encampments?

"I'm sure there was an uptick like this during the really big proliferation of Dirty Sixth in the 80's and 90's...we just didn't hear about it with limited media."

That's part of it... no one had social media to whine and bitch publicly or to see everything that was going on.  I routinely point out that the per capita homicide rate was higher in Austin back when I was in college (you know... the good ole days when Austin was a small hamlet full of lovely people) and yet people casually ignore that and point to the overall numbers.  That's not how statistics work.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

cliff notes?

Essentially reading the riot act for how things have gone done with this contract negotiation so far. So lighting into Cronk (without naming him) and how the contract should have been agreed to with enough time to be reviewed by all parties instead of a last-minute deal. Essentially saying that's now how things are going to work in this city anymore.

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

They will if the City Leadership make them, right? Right?

Not really. The relationship between Council and APD is roughly analogous to the relationship between Congress and the Army.
Council provides indirect oversight, controls the funding and legislates, but the police dept doesn't answer to the council on enforcement matters. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

So evidently if a 4-year police contract is agreed to, we will all be killed by the police as they will all go rogue with no oversight.

If a 1-year police contract is agreed to, the police will all quit and lawlessness will reign supreme.

Oh, have a Nextdoor reference from a public comment. Also mentioned "thugs and criminals" saying they are in charge of a neighborhood.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

35 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Shit, man. The father of Raj Moonesinghe just spoke. Could barely get the words out. Just devastating. 

I just watched that Youtube video prompted by your post Go Full Bernard Here

I'm really starting to question whether police, absent an escalation force (SWAT) should be able to carry fire arms at all. 

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I just watched that Youtube video prompted by your post Go Full Bernard Here

I'm really starting to question whether police, absent an escalation force (SWAT) should be able to carry fire arms at all. 

I don't think that's a good idea at all. But oversight and re-training needs to be major.

The off-duty cop that shot into a car with a baby... and then the guy who he shot is disoriented and gets blasted by other cops checking on the baby is just unbelievable.  

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So evidently if a 4-year police contract is agreed to, we will all be killed by the police as they will all go rogue with no oversight.

If a 1-year police contract is agreed to, the police will all quit and lawlessness will reign supreme.

The police who are testifying are just saying that if they don't get the 4 year contract, they won't agree to any additional oversight. Cool argument, APD. 

Now the APA negotiator is foretelling police dying due to understaffing and 911 calls with no answer.

Also, evidently the 4-year contract requires steroid testing for officers. Wow. Didn't realize that was something both sides thought was needed.

5 minutes ago, hornian said:

The police who are testifying are just saying that if they don't get the 4 year contract, they won't agree to any additional oversight. Cool argument, APD. 

Between this and @Bozo_Casanova's frequent condemnation of their dereliction of duty, it would seem there is some severe chain of command issues.