What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

6th was great when I was at UT but I think it started getting worse about a couple of years afterwards.  

Anyway, at least even during the tough times, we had the Kind of Sixth Street, no thanks to APD...

https://austin.towers.net/the-king-of-sixth-street-fights-for-his-crown-in-early-2000s-austin/

Man I miss the Bass King dude, Leslie, Hoeks vs Roppolo’s at closing, Irish pub, those spray paint dudes blasting techno, etc. 

Probably romanticizing my 20’s, sixth was never an upscale howdy doody environment, and there were a lot fewer options across the city at the time I regularly hung out down there (2002-2005ish)…but I still miss it.  

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Man I miss the Bass King dude, Leslie, Hoeks vs Roppolo’s at closing, Irish pub, those spray paint dudes blasting techno, etc. 

Probably romanticizing my 20’s, sixth was never an upscale howdy doody environment, and there were a lot fewer options across the city at the time I regularly hung out down there (2002-2005ish)…but I still miss it.  

I totally get it - I get some nostalgia down there sometimes when we go to Antone's.  I forgot about the guys spraypainting.  

holy shit, i didn't even see the reaction to the street racers over the weekend as a serious news story.

some dudes doing donuts?

my in laws got burgled, their shit stolen, their home invaded, their car stolen, their neighbor assaulted (with a deadly weapon, a car, also attempted murder probably), someone hit head on in a traffic accident and hurt. oh, and they have footage of the guys who did it. 

but some kids with fireworks and doing fucking donuts? better call the fucking lege and get a press conference going.

fuck you, austin pd. fuck you forever.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, texasdago said:

6th was great when I was at UT but I think it started getting worse about a couple of years afterwards.  

Anyway, at least even during the tough times, we had the Kind of Sixth Street, no thanks to APD...

https://austin.towers.net/the-king-of-sixth-street-fights-for-his-crown-in-early-2000s-austin/

18 minutes ago, Homercles said:

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2001-03-02/80723/

fucking chronicle whitewashing the riot that the fucking cops started. i was there for that one too.

i still maintain that the city hated mardi gras and wanted it shut down and sent out its thugs to do just that. and they did.

fuckers.

god, it's been more than a week, and i'm still fucking irate.  

it's not about me, it's about my 70 year old mother in law. just send a goddamn uniform by to fucking pretend to give a shit and give her some level of comfort that the taxes she's spent to keep her safe give any kind of shit about her HOME. her house, where her grandkids come over to play. 

just pretend to give a shit.

it wouldn't have mattered to me, it's become obvious that from city leadership onb down, policing in this community is a fucking joke. and apd treats it like a joke.

apd is a joke.

fuck austin police.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's not about me, it's about my 70 year old mother in law. just send a goddamn uniform by to fucking pretend to give a shit and give her some level of comfort that the taxes she's spent to keep her safe give any kind of shit about her HOME. her house, where her grandkids come over to play. 

it wouldn't have mattered to me, it's become obvious that from city leadership onb down, policing in this community is a fucking joke. and apd treats it like a joke.

apd is a joke.

fuck austin police.

Guessing your parents “fell” into one of these categories for APD

The Austin Police Department will no longer respond to the scene of nonemergency crimes, interim police Chief Joseph Chacon announced Sept. 29.

Chacon said several types of crimes, including verbal disturbances, theft and prostitution, that are no longer an active threat people or property should be considered nonemergency and reported to 311 or online instead of to 911.”

https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/2021/09/30/austin-police-department-to-no-longer-respond-to-scene-of-some-nonemergency-calls/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Guessing your parents “fell” into one of these categories for APD

The Austin Police Department will no longer respond to the scene of nonemergency crimes, interim police Chief Joseph Chacon announced Sept. 29.

Chacon said several types of crimes, including verbal disturbances, theft and prostitution, that are no longer an active threat people or property should be considered nonemergency and reported to 311 or online instead of to 911.”

https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/2021/09/30/austin-police-department-to-no-longer-respond-to-scene-of-some-nonemergency-calls/

yeah, that looks to be accurate.

it's fucking bollix though. 

what sort of shit was happening on a saturday morning at 8 fucking 30 that they couldn't spare a unit to check out an actual crime? oh, right, when i left, a cop had someone pulled over at stassney. THAT must have been the emergency. not a stolen fucking car with a methed out lunatic at the wheel.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2001-03-02/80723/
fucking chronicle whitewashing the riot that the fucking cops started. i was there for that one too.
i still maintain that the city hated mardi gras and wanted it shut down and sent out its thugs to do just that. and they did.
fuckers.

Some poor chick right in front of me (around the Treasure Island bar block) got hit in the face with a runner bullet that APD just aimlessly started shouting everywhere to disperse the crowd.

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, that looks to be accurate.

it's fucking bollix though. 

what sort of shit was happening on a saturday morning at 8 fucking 30 that they couldn't spare a unit to check out an actual crime? oh, right, when i left, a cop had someone pulled over at stassney. THAT must have been the emergency. not a stolen fucking car with a methed out lunatic at the wheel.

Well, at that time, there were two things going on:

1) the complete and utter contempt that APD has for those who it is supposed to "protect and serve."  Seriously, they think that the people are absolutely beneath them, and our sole role in this society is to lick their boots and give them everything they demand.  A giant statue of a hero cop at the top of Mt. Bonnell, which the citizens are required to worship, would be a good start.

And,

2)

KrispyKreme_GlazedDozen.jpg?height=700&t

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

so i've been waiting to post this because i've been fucking furious about it.
austin police is a fucking joke. fuck you all. just a complete fucking joke of an organization. 
last weekend, my in laws were robbed. burgled. whatever. some dude broke into their house. then that dude let in another dude. luckily, my in laws were out for the evening. anyways, at 2:30ish in the am, first guy is seen on ring. 3:30ish in the am, another dude shows up with a goddamn hammer and starts in on the front door, before (presumably) he is let in by the other guy. 
no real camera activity until 8:30ish in the morning, when one of the dudes is loading up one of my inlaws cars, wearing my father in law's clothes, boots, $300 hat. neighbor (elderly gentleman) wielding a freshly cut bamboo pole confronts the car thief as he's getting in the car. thier speeds off, nearly dragging neighbor with him. guy speeds off, police are called. 8:30am.
stolen car. oh well.
possible drunk/high perp driving at high speed. oh well.
oh, they robbed the house. oh well.
anyways, i arrive to help them clean up around 9:30, expecting to see multiple police cruisers on the scene. haha. nothing.
the dudes tossed their house. i mean, i guess, luckily my in-laws are not super well off, but they work fucking hard and their stuff is fucking theirs. but there were no guns to take, no major valuables. just the car and some clothes, som broken stuff. they took a shower in there, changed clothes, left behind all their old clothes, wallet, drug periphenalia, condoms, whatever. they raided the fridge and threw full beer cans around. they ate provolone and chocolate. it was a strange scene. sampled various nice things from the liquor cabinet, ruining probably more than $1000 worth of booze.
i helped clean up. hours pass. no cops show up. there's a police report, and suddenly mom in law asks me if she should handle her car insurance. i told her if it made her feel useful to call the insurance and report it stolen, but the police already had the report, so she needn't worry at that moment, etc. well, she wanted to feel useful, so she called, and...
there has been an injury accident reported with her vehicle to her insurance.
the motherfucker hit someone. we have pics from nextdoor of police on the scene of the accident. the car is totaled. booze all over the car. happened in the morning. still, nobody from apd has showed up at the house. the meth head walked away toward 183, presumably never to be heard from again until his next shining moment of breaking in and stealing shit is once again unpunished.
anyways, by and by, i leave. shit's mostly cleaned up and most importantly, the inlaws are more at ease. i guess. as i am driving home, i idly notice that a police cruiser has pulled someone over not 5 minutes away from their house. looks like a speeding ticket or something. nevermind the victimized family minutes away, get that money, apd!
anyways, the police showed up at 11:30pm.
so, robbery, stolen vehicle, injury accident, perp on the loose, oh well. we'll just show up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT AFTER A BREAK IN. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
needless to say, my father in law answered the door with a baseball bat. cops are shining lights in his eyes, etc. it all ended more or less amicably with my father in law telling them to fuck off.
eventually, the police came by to collect the items left by the perps. 
car was totaled. hat was recovered from the scene of the wreck. 
well done, apd. not only did you not bother to try and catch the guys, by the way, whose faces are clear on the ring doorbell footage you were offered, but declined to even view it. a pretty hip south austin neighborhood was fairly traumatized by these two methheads, but no cops bothered to show up to even, i dunno, pretend they were on the fucking case and gave a shit about the residents of the neighborhood?
casual neglect might get you a few extra concessions in your negotiations, but you get a hearty forever fuck you from me for dereliction of duty.
fuck you apd. you suck.

975b0fd4d50772e28ad1f067ee071f8c.gif

18 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

holy shit, i didn't even see the reaction to the street racers over the weekend as a serious news story.

some dudes doing donuts?

but some kids with fireworks and doing fucking donuts? better call the fucking lege and get a press conference going.

fuck you, austin pd. fuck you forever.

Fox News, man. My Fox News 24/7 watching parents called me and asked if i was doing ok with all the riots going on. They got the impression my life was in danger and the city had slipped into some chaotic hell-scape.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

^
This.  My in-laws come down here twice a year to Texas from Kansas, and are consistently befuddled that the creekbed we live by isn't filled with immigrants running through to their dayjobs.  They are genuinely bummed out that there aren't droves of brown people in my backyard as was promised on cable news.  Meanwhile, all the corporate farms and meatpacking plants in Western/Southern Kansas are almost completely filled with migrant workers.  And I have to tell them all unenthusiastically, "I mean yeah, the area has me...half-Mexican and the Brazilian mom at the end of the street.  And I think somewhere across the HOA is a family from Argentina.  But yeah, we're totally overrun with cartel crime for sure.  I think the Russian dude at the end the cul-de-sac once talked about doing blow.  Crazy out here, yo" 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

Fox News, man. My Fox News 24/7 watching parents called me and asked if i was doing ok with all the riots going on. They got the impression my life was in danger and the city had slipped into some chaotic hell-scape.

The Office Thank You GIF

People from out-of-state asking me about Austin turning into the Escape from New York movie.

And I'm going to start telling them that it is, and if I talk to any of them voice, I'm going to play gun sounds from some YouTube clip and say "hold on for a minute, I gotta get the kids in their body armor and helmets, those gunshots sounded pretty close".

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Its funny when people in Houston ask me about crime in Austin.

Seriously.

Number of bullets I had fall through my roof while living in Houston for 18 years: 1.

Number of bullets I had fall through my roof while living in Austin for 30+ years: 0.

They're both even on burglaries I drove up on (one each), so, there's that.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seriously.

Number of bullets I had fall through my roof while living in Houston for 18 years: 1.

Number of bullets I had fall through my roof while living in Austin for 30+ years: 0.

Cars stolen in Houston: 0

Cars stolen in Austin: 1

Oh... I didn't do that properly.  Then again, this was during Austin's golden age so it probably didn't count.  It would definitely count today.  Someone was carjacked and shot in his driveway on my parents' street in Houston so that's not great.

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seriously.

Counterpoint:  I've been trafficked as a sex slave in Austin three times, but never in Houston.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2023 murders beating out both 2021 and 2022 at this point:

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/austin-homicide-map-2023/

In 2019, didn't hit murder #10 until April. This year it was the end of January. Fucking boo.

----------------

Also, this story about an 81 year old man murdered and a 23 year old arrested (https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-charged-with-murder-after-neighbors-body-found-in-his-apartment/). Police get multiple reports and can't show up for an hour... and more than 30 minutes after being told the guy pointed a gun? That's some bullshit.

Police received several more reports over the next half hour about the man, according to the affidavit. They are detailed below:

3 p.m.: Caller said they witnessed a Black man walking to Foster’s apartment carrying trash bags and “looking nervous.”

3:15: Secondary caller reports the same man was wearing latex gloves and carrying trash bags, then got into a black GMC pickup truck. Police ran the license plate number and it came back as belonging to Foster.

3:27: Caller said the same man pointed a gun at them, causing the caller to leave the area in fear of being shot.

3:59: APD officers arrive on the scene and found Moore carrying a black trash bag over his shoulder.

--------------------

Then a plant nursery has been hit four times in two months (for nearly $50K in goods stolen) had have a clear photo of the guy. 
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-plant-nursery-reports-multiple-thefts-49k-in-stolen-items/

Yet this guy is hitting this and other businesses.  

-----------------------

How can you blame that on funding/staffing? How many cops do you need to where someone literally pointing a gun at another takes 32 minutes for a cop to show up when there is record funding? There's not one squad car working something less important that can respond?

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

2023 murders beating out both 2021 and 2022 at this point:

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/austin-homicide-map-2023/

In 2019, didn't hit murder #10 until April. This year it was the end of January. Fucking boo.

----------------

Also, this story about an 81 year old man murdered and a 23 year old arrested (https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-charged-with-murder-after-neighbors-body-found-in-his-apartment/). Police get multiple reports and can't show up for an hour... and more than 30 minutes after being told the guy pointed a gun? That's some bullshit.

Police received several more reports over the next half hour about the man, according to the affidavit. They are detailed below:

3 p.m.: Caller said they witnessed a Black man walking to Foster’s apartment carrying trash bags and “looking nervous.”

3:15: Secondary caller reports the same man was wearing latex gloves and carrying trash bags, then got into a black GMC pickup truck. Police ran the license plate number and it came back as belonging to Foster.

3:27: Caller said the same man pointed a gun at them, causing the caller to leave the area in fear of being shot.

3:59: APD officers arrive on the scene and found Moore carrying a black trash bag over his shoulder.

--------------------

Then a plant nursery has been hit four times in two months (for nearly $50K in goods stolen) had have a clear photo of the guy. 
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-plant-nursery-reports-multiple-thefts-49k-in-stolen-items/

Yet this guy is hitting this and other businesses.  

-----------------------

How can you blame that on funding/staffing? How many cops do you need to where someone literally pointing a gun at another takes 32 minutes for a cop to show up when there is record funding? There's not one squad car working something less important that can respond?

Those traffic tickets aren’t going to write themselves.

32 minutes ago, royiv said:

Those traffic tickets aren’t going to write themselves.

But they aren't. Do you live in Austin? There's no traffic enforcement that I ever see. Red light runners are everywhere.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

But they aren't. Do you live in Austin? There's no traffic enforcement that I ever see. Red light runners are everywhere.

Oh, there's traffic enforcement.  But just of the easy revenue variety, not of the "actually contribute to public safety" variety.  APD only does shit if it's super-easy.  Or if they get to whoop up on someone.  That's about it, thus endeth the job description.

28 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't see red-light runners.  But everyone seems to be driving a bit faster now that there are no cops posted along Mopac like it used to be.  Two or three years ago it was pretty common to see a cop car routinely on the weekend in the area between Far West and The Domain.  I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one either parked off Mopac or pulling someone over for a traffic stop.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

There is traffic enforcement in Austin. The problem is that is in only performed in two places and only at rush hours. North MOPAC and South MOPAC. You can see 3-4 officers shooting radar North MOPAC between 183 and Parmer every single weekday morning.

These locations allow them to write a lot of tickets in a condensed area in a short amount of time.

So when more pedestrians die on surface streets downtown or in the neighborhoods and on the arterials like congress, burnet, lamar, etc, and the public gets back in an uproar about lack of traffic enforcement, Chacon can print out the report and say, "Look, we wrote 1 brazillion tickets last month, which is on par with every other years. We're doing our part!"

But no one ever notices that those tickets were all written to people going 70 mph in a 65 mph zone on a freeway, where there is never any traffic complaints or deaths and all of the known traffic issues and red light running continues to occur in all of the same places it has always happened.

Edited by Orange&White

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I don't see red-light runners.  But everyone seems to be driving a bit faster now that there are no cops posted along Mopac like it used to be.  Two or three years ago it was pretty common to see a cop car routinely on the weekend in the area between Far West and The Domain.  I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one either parked off Mopac or pulling someone over for a traffic stop.

Honestly, saw that for the first time in many months -- if not a year or more -- this week. 

I’d like to see a simple stat for the past five years: number of arrests per police officer.

If there’s any statistically significant drop off in 22-23, then it’s blatantly obvious APD is intentionally not doing their job.

@Constant, i know it is not your town...but i would genuinely be curious about your honest input on the visible changes in apd.  in an overall sense, most people don't realize that we have significantly less crime in austin than we did 20 years ago and it was on a long-term downward trajectory for a long time.  combined with the insane growth, there is certainly no surprise that in the last 5 years, that trend has reversed.  however, even for a non-pearl clutcher like myself, the visibility of apd in a nominal sense is materially diminished compared to my first 20 years here.  that's not to mention the utter lack of urgency to things like an active scene with firearm hostilities as described above.

is it a recruiting thing?  are 18-25 years olds just reluctant to pursue law enforcement due to a stigma/low pay?  is it "hey, you fuckers are hostile to law enforcement so fuck you, see how you like it when no one is around?"  curious what your take is.

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Co-worker just had her SUV stolen. Broke the back window. Destroyed the steering column. Abandoned with a bunch of stolen goods in it. 78704 area. 

Its a damn Hyundai. Sucks for her but she was already planning to moving out of the area

when i lived on riverside in college, my piece of shit 94 jeep cherokee got stolen twice.  both times abandoned in buda close to the same location, both times towed by the same tow company on burleson that tried to charge me $100 cash to just go see if it was mine in the yard.  zero doubt in my mind that it was a scam being run by the tow company.  still infuriates me to this day.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

My in-laws come down here twice a year to Texas from Kansas, and are consistently befuddled that the creekbed we live by isn't filled with immigrants running through to their dayjobs.

No room to run with all the homeless people camping in the creekbeds. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, sidis said:

@Constant, i know it is not your town...but i would genuinely be curious about your honest input on the visible changes in apd.  in an overall sense, most people don't realize that we have significantly less crime in austin than we did 20 years ago and it was on a long-term downward trajectory for a long time.  combined with the insane growth, there is certainly no surprise that in the last 5 years, that trend has reversed.  however, even for a non-pearl clutcher like myself, the visibility of apd in a nominal sense is materially diminished compared to my first 20 years here.  that's not to mention the utter lack of urgency to things like an active scene with firearm hostilities as described above.

is it a recruiting thing?  are 18-25 years olds just reluctant to pursue law enforcement due to a stigma/low pay?  is it "hey, you fuckers are hostile to law enforcement so fuck you, see how you like it when no one is around?"  curious what your take is.

Sounds like a great job. Strong union, plenty of overtime, and you can kill people with impunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/21/2023 at 4:20 PM, hayden_horn said:

apd is a joke.

fuck austin police.

This is incorrect. This is One Austin, Safer Together.

Says so right there on their website.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

when i lived on riverside in college, my piece of shit 94 jeep cherokee got stolen twice.  both times abandoned in buda close to the same location, both times towed by the same tow company on burleson that tried to charge me $100 cash to just go see if it was mine in the yard.  zero doubt in my mind that it was a scam being run by the tow company.  still infuriates me to this day.

have you tried throwing rocks on them from highway overpasses?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 10:13 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

at some point, if the central Texas police departments dont start intervening,  these street racers are gonna cut off Karl and keep him from getting after some pussy. .

our hypothetical Karl is a pure country boy, maybe a bit over-served, visiting the big city with his jacked-up, banged-up, 20 year old F250 dually

Karl is gonna be pissed and at some point, hes gonna go Leroy Jenkins through the guys keeping him from getting laid.   

and by Leroy Jenkings, I am saying Karl is not gonna give a shit if his truck gets a few more dings and scratches, and is just going to gun it, and plow through the blocking vehicles, maybe take out a few gatekeepers, and possibly plow into the drifiting/racing cars on his way to the other side of the intersection.   

when that happens, 2-3 "good kids who never did anything wrong except be lookouts for the drifters"  are going to die and suddenly the whole world is gonna wonder where the fuck were the cops... 

and APD will be sitting there going... 

1541433154053?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=Sv9d

Sounds like Karl is the hero Austin needs.

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Co-worker just had her SUV stolen. Broke the back window. Destroyed the steering column. Abandoned with a bunch of stolen goods in it. 78704 area. 

Its a damn Hyundai. Sucks for her but she was already planning to moving out of the area

If you have a Hyundai or Kia and park it outside, it’s just a matter of time.   

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

6 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If you have a Hyundai or Kia and park it outside, it’s just a matter of time.   

yeah Chicken, there is a class action lawsuit against Kia and hyundai because of this

Hyundai and Kia both went the extra cheap route when making their vehicles from either 2011-2021  & 2015 to 2021. And didnt spend something like $5 more to build in any engine immobilizer chips. Allowing them to have the steering column ripped off and bypassed with the screwdriver, just like the 1980s old school screwdriver in the ignition starter path.

a tik tok video, calling itself the "Kia Challenge" went viral during the pandemic that showed how to break into the cars and those vehicle thefts shot through the roof, like 200% or more country wide since 2021.  as the article mentions,  77% of all the vehicle thefts in Chicago as of last year are Kia's & Hyundai's 

• Hook 'Em 1