What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

31 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I know the default position is to laugh at people who bemoan the loss of the good old days of Austin, but shit like this sure does make those folks seem at least a little bit right. 

You are misidentifying the purpose of the default position.  It functions to keep things positive.  It does not exist to oppose the belief that Austin is starting to become more like the bigger cities in Texas.  Austin does in fact suck much more than it used to.  

• Hook 'Em 3

You are misidentifying the purpose of the default position.  It functions to keep things positive.  It does not exist to oppose the belief that Austin is starting to become more like the bigger cities in Texas.  Austin does in fact suck much more than it used to.  

The only thing the differentiates Austin from other Texas cities is the cost of living and the excessive amount of homeless people. Beyond that, there isn’t much special about the city (with the exception of some natural beauty, most of which is outside the city limits).
  • Hook 'Em 2

I haven't been able to find it online yet, but apparently the boy racers called into one of our local TV stations, defiantly proclaiming that since they're taxpayers, they 'have the right to use the streets any way they see fit'. 

Traffic tied up and emergency vehicles can't get through? 'So what. I have rights'. 911 lines tied up for hours, causing delays in emergency response throughout the county? 'So what, I have my rights. Fuck everyone else'. Someone gets hit and dies because of your impromptu exhibition? Cause an accident while street racing and kill someone?  'Oh well. Everyone dies sometime. Not my fault. I was just using the streets I helped pay for. All that matters is 'what I want'

Sadly, this has been an all too common attitude among street racers for decades. "Well, there's nowhere else we can go to race" is something I've personally heard over and over, often at scenes of street racing accidents where we're rescuing people trapped in cars, or at best just cleaning up their messes after they abandoned their wrecked cars. 

I love racing and like to get my hoon on as much as just about anyone, but I'm not gonna do it on the roads, and especially not in an intersection packed with bystanders.

Fuck these pieces of shit.

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

they block off all sides of the intersection. Unless the officers are going on foot, it’s going to take a bit and some sidewalk driving to reach the intersection 

Yep. And a cop going into that scene on foot is either brave or stupid or both, and will have little to no effect.

Like I said before, when you block off an area like that one, it's gonna be gridlock. Hell, it's damn near gridlock there most of the time now anyway. If the cars in front of a PD car, fire truck, or ambulance have no way to get out of the way, all the lights and sirens in the world aren't going to help. Even when they have room, they often don't get out of the way. 

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

The only thing the differentiates Austin from other Texas cities is the cost of living and the excessive amount of homeless people. Beyond that, there isn’t much special about the city (with the exception of some natural beauty, most of which is outside the city limits).

Vince Vaughn GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree here--I've lived in San Antonio and Houston and Austin is far prettier.  Even our "hood", so to speak, is way nicer than the more downtrodden parts of Houston and SA. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Y’all must not remember the Fast And Furious, rice-beater races in NW Austin circa 2001-2003.

The parking lot where Dave and Busters and Circuit City used to be was packed every weekend back then. No dumb shit like throwing fireworks at the cops but streets were shutdown and taken over.

When I was listening to the Texas Standard this morning, they mentioned this is something that "car clubs" have been doing in other Texas cities. I'm completely ignorant on the culture, but they said that these groups come in and proclaim it's a "street takeover" of a city. Specifically, they mentioned some were from Houston and San Antonio, as well as I'm sure some local fuck heads. I did not know this was a thing.

1 hour ago, Stunns38 said:

Y’all must not remember the Fast And Furious, rice-beater races in NW Austin circa 2001-2003.

The parking lot where Dave and Busters and Circuit City used to be was packed every weekend back then. No dumb shit like throwing fireworks at the cops but streets were shutdown and taken over.

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

When I was listening to the Texas Standard this morning, they mentioned this is something that "car clubs" have been doing in other Texas cities. I'm completely ignorant on the culture, but they said that these groups come in and proclaim it's a "street takeover" of a city. Specifically, they mentioned some were from Houston and San Antonio, as well as I'm sure some local fuck heads. I did not know this was a thing.

No, no, you guys have it wrong, this is the first time it's ever happened in Texas, and it happened because we defunded our police department. 

That's according to a conversation I had earlier this evening.  

And that same person, bless her heart, thought my family was in danger, and she had to mention that "You know, I gave you that gun for a reason, I hope you still have it" and I'm thinking "you didn't give it to me, your dad gave it to me in his will, and he did so because he saw me use the same model rifle back in the 1980s at a JROTC drill competition and it amazed me that he remembered that 30 years later when he last revised his will right before he died, and while it's a beautiful rifle that I fully intend to restore and I treasure it because he and his dad hunted with it, it's also a fucking 1903 Springfield, and I don't intend on fighting off the street racer hordes with a bolt-action WWI rifle" (technically made in the 1920s).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No, no, you guys have it wrong, this is the first time it's ever happened in Texas, and it happened because we defunded our police department. 

That's according to a conversation I had earlier this evening.  

And that same person, bless her heart, thought my family was in danger, and she had to mention that "You know, I gave you that gun for a reason, I hope you still have it" and I'm thinking "you didn't give it to me, your dad gave it to me in his will, and he did so because he saw me use the same model rifle back in the 1980s at a JROTC drill competition and it amazed me that he remembered that 30 years later when he last revised his will right before he died, and while it's a beautiful rifle that I fully intend to restore and I treasure it because he and his dad hunted with it, it's also a fucking 1903 Springfield, and I don't intend on fighting off the street racer hordes with a bolt-action WWI rifle" (technically made in the 1920s).

Well.....I know someone who won't be getting the evite for this week's patriot rally

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

That was such an odd time period.  There was an asian yutes gang culture sprout up for a couple of years, both the car guys and dudes down on 6th roving in packs and looking to fight anyone who looked at them.  I wondered if there was going to be a Houston-like culture clash w/ the bars, but then...

kevin-spacey-and-like-that-hes-gone.gif 

12 hours ago, wood said:

I haven't been able to find it online yet, but apparently the boy racers called into one of our local TV stations, defiantly proclaiming that since they're taxpayers, they 'have the right to use the streets any way they see fit'. 

Traffic tied up and emergency vehicles can't get through? 'So what. I have rights'. 911 lines tied up for hours, causing delays in emergency response throughout the county? 'So what, I have my rights. Fuck everyone else'. Someone gets hit and dies because of your impromptu exhibition? Cause an accident while street racing and kill someone?  'Oh well. Everyone dies sometime. Not my fault. I was just using the streets I helped pay for. All that matters is 'what I want'

Sadly, this has been an all too common attitude among street racers for decades. "Well, there's nowhere else we can go to race" is something I've personally heard over and over, often at scenes of street racing accidents where we're rescuing people trapped in cars, or at best just cleaning up their messes after they abandoned their wrecked cars. 

I love racing and like to get my hoon on as much as just about anyone, but I'm not gonna do it on the roads, and especially not in an intersection packed with bystanders.

Fuck these pieces of shit.

Sounds a loooooot like bicyclists.  They should all hang out.

11 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

I had indeed forgotten that.  Highland Mall parking lot was also a hot spot for this crap for a while.

13 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. And a cop going into that scene on foot is either brave or stupid or both, and will have little to no effect.

Like I said before, when you block off an area like that one, it's gonna be gridlock. Hell, it's damn near gridlock there most of the time now anyway. If the cars in front of a PD car, fire truck, or ambulance have no way to get out of the way, all the lights and sirens in the world aren't going to help. Even when they have room, they often don't get out of the way. 

well yeah unless you think they all coordinated a slow response for contract negotiating leverage.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Agree completely about hobby identity people (this includes over top top sports fan guy too) but the street racing fucks that shut down roads takes that “hobby” to super douche level.

Most of them are driving Dodge Chargers now.     A week of driving around all over Houston confirmed this with me.     No longer BMWs or some other foreign car.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

well yeah unless you think they all coordinated a slow response for contract negotiating leverage.

I think that's possible, but I have no idea either way. Not defending them. I'm just saying a significantly delayed response is completely understandable in this situation - and likely - even if they were nearby and started responding immediately.  Could be one thing or the other, or a bit of both. Who knows ...

Edited by wood

I think that's possible, but I have no idea either way. Not defending them. I'm just saying a delayed response is completely understandable in this situation - and likely - even if they were nearby and started responding immediately.  Could be one thing or the other, or a bit of both. Who knows ...

It’s APD. Assume they acted in bad faith, and you’ll rarely be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s APD. Assume they acted in bad faith, and you’ll rarely be wrong.

Well, it's all recorded down at CTECC - when the calls came in from the public, when the Popo was dispatched, when they hit their CAD's 'responding' key or responded verbally on the radio, when they actually started moving (via GPS), how long it took them to arrive on scene, etc. APD doesn't run CTECC, and all of that info is available to anyone who wants to dig into it.

If they did intentionally slow response, it would be pretty evident in that info.

Edited by wood

so i've been waiting to post this because i've been fucking furious about it.
austin police is a fucking joke. fuck you all. just a complete fucking joke of an organization. 
last weekend, my in laws were robbed. burgled. whatever. some dude broke into their house. then that dude let in another dude. luckily, my in laws were out for the evening. anyways, at 2:30ish in the am, first guy is seen on ring. 3:30ish in the am, another dude shows up with a goddamn hammer and starts in on the front door, before (presumably) he is let in by the other guy. 
no real camera activity until 8:30ish in the morning, when one of the dudes is loading up one of my inlaws cars, wearing my father in law's clothes, boots, $300 hat. neighbor (elderly gentleman) wielding a freshly cut bamboo pole confronts the car thief as he's getting in the car. thier speeds off, nearly dragging neighbor with him. guy speeds off, police are called. 8:30am.
stolen car. oh well.
possible drunk/high perp driving at high speed. oh well.
oh, they robbed the house. oh well.
anyways, i arrive to help them clean up around 9:30, expecting to see multiple police cruisers on the scene. haha. nothing.
the dudes tossed their house. i mean, i guess, luckily my in-laws are not super well off, but they work fucking hard and their stuff is fucking theirs. but there were no guns to take, no major valuables. just the car and some clothes, som broken stuff. they took a shower in there, changed clothes, left behind all their old clothes, wallet, drug periphenalia, condoms, whatever. they raided the fridge and threw full beer cans around. they ate provolone and chocolate. it was a strange scene. sampled various nice things from the liquor cabinet, ruining probably more than $1000 worth of booze.
i helped clean up. hours pass. no cops show up. there's a police report, and suddenly mom in law asks me if she should handle her car insurance. i told her if it made her feel useful to call the insurance and report it stolen, but the police already had the report, so she needn't worry at that moment, etc. well, she wanted to feel useful, so she called, and...
there has been an injury accident reported with her vehicle to her insurance.
the motherfucker hit someone. we have pics from nextdoor of police on the scene of the accident. the car is totaled. booze all over the car. happened in the morning. still, nobody from apd has showed up at the house. the meth head walked away toward 183, presumably never to be heard from again until his next shining moment of breaking in and stealing shit is once again unpunished.
anyways, by and by, i leave. shit's mostly cleaned up and most importantly, the inlaws are more at ease. i guess. as i am driving home, i idly notice that a police cruiser has pulled someone over not 5 minutes away from their house. looks like a speeding ticket or something. nevermind the victimized family minutes away, get that money, apd!
anyways, the police showed up at 11:30pm.
so, robbery, stolen vehicle, injury accident, perp on the loose, oh well. we'll just show up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT AFTER A BREAK IN. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
needless to say, my father in law answered the door with a baseball bat. cops are shining lights in his eyes, etc. it all ended more or less amicably with my father in law telling them to fuck off.
eventually, the police came by to collect the items left by the perps. 
car was totaled. hat was recovered from the scene of the wreck. 
well done, apd. not only did you not bother to try and catch the guys, by the way, whose faces are clear on the ring doorbell footage you were offered, but declined to even view it. a pretty hip south austin neighborhood was fairly traumatized by these two methheads, but no cops bothered to show up to even, i dunno, pretend they were on the fucking case and gave a shit about the residents of the neighborhood?
casual neglect might get you a few extra concessions in your negotiations, but you get a hearty forever fuck you from me for dereliction of duty.
fuck you apd. you suck.

Gosh, Hayden. You shouldn’t have defunded them. Maybe that’ll learn you for next time. Worship them, apologize for ever having hurt their feelings, and give them every single thing they want in their contract negotiations, and MAYBE they’ll be able to do their jobs. It’s a darn shame, they obviously want to do their job, they just can’t, because…you know…reasons.

16 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

so i've been waiting to post this because i've been fucking furious about it.

austin police is a fucking joke. fuck you all. just a complete fucking joke of an organization. 

last weekend, my in laws were robbed. burgled. whatever. some dude broke into their house. then that dude let in another dude. luckily, my in laws were out for the evening. anyways, at 2:30ish in the am, first guy is seen on ring. 3:30ish in the am, another dude shows up with a goddamn hammer and starts in on the front door, before (presumably) he is let in by the other guy. 

no real camera activity until 8:30ish in the morning, when one of the dudes is loading up one of my inlaws cars, wearing my father in law's clothes, boots, $300 hat. neighbor (elderly gentleman) wielding a freshly cut bamboo pole confronts the car thief as he's getting in the car. thier speeds off, nearly dragging neighbor with him. guy speeds off, police are called. 8:30am.

stolen car. oh well.

possible drunk/high perp driving at high speed. oh well.

oh, they robbed the house. oh well.

anyways, i arrive to help them clean up around 9:30, expecting to see multiple police cruisers on the scene. haha. nothing.

the dudes tossed their house. i mean, i guess, luckily my in-laws are not super well off, but they work fucking hard and their stuff is fucking theirs. but there were no guns to take, no major valuables. just the car and some clothes, som broken stuff. they took a shower in there, changed clothes, left behind all their old clothes, wallet, drug periphenalia, condoms, whatever. they raided the fridge and threw full beer cans around. they ate provolone and chocolate. it was a strange scene. sampled various nice things from the liquor cabinet, ruining probably more than $1000 worth of booze.

i helped clean up. hours pass. no cops show up. there's a police report, and suddenly mom in law asks me if she should handle her car insurance. i told her if it made her feel useful to call the insurance and report it stolen, but the police already had the report, so she needn't worry at that moment, etc. well, she wanted to feel useful, so she called, and...

there has been an injury accident reported with her vehicle to her insurance.

the motherfucker hit someone. we have pics from nextdoor of police on the scene of the accident. the car is totaled. booze all over the car. happened in the morning. still, nobody from apd has showed up at the house. the meth head walked away toward 183, presumably never to be heard from again until his next shining moment of breaking in and stealing shit is once again unpunished.

anyways, by and by, i leave. shit's mostly cleaned up and most importantly, the inlaws are more at ease. i guess. as i am driving home, i idly notice that a police cruiser has pulled someone over not 5 minutes away from their house. looks like a speeding ticket or something. nevermind the victimized family minutes away, get that money, apd!

anyways, the police showed up at 11:30pm.

so, robbery, stolen vehicle, injury accident, perp on the loose, oh well. we'll just show up IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT AFTER A BREAK IN. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

needless to say, my father in law answered the door with a baseball bat. cops are shining lights in his eyes, etc. it all ended more or less amicably with my father in law telling them to fuck off.

eventually, the police came by to collect the items left by the perps. 

car was totaled. hat was recovered from the scene of the wreck. 

well done, apd. not only did you not bother to try and catch the guys, by the way, whose faces are clear on the ring doorbell footage you were offered, but declined to even view it. a pretty hip south austin neighborhood was fairly traumatized by these two methheads, but no cops bothered to show up to even, i dunno, pretend they were on the fucking case and gave a shit about the residents of the neighborhood?

casual neglect might get you a few extra concessions in your negotiations, but you get a hearty forever fuck you from me for dereliction of duty.

fuck you apd. you suck.

Oh wow, I saw this one on my neighborhood Nextdoor.  Was the car ... snip<hh> and one of the perps a white dude wearing glasses?

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gosh, Hayden. You shouldn’t have defunded them. Maybe that’ll learn you for next time. Worship them, apologize for ever having hurt their feelings, and give them every single thing they want in their contract negotiations, and MAYBE they’ll be able to do their jobs. It’s a darn shame, they obviously want to do their job, they just can’t, because…you know…reasons.

Anyone who wants government control of our lives is an idiot. When I lived in Houston (posted about this before) I was driving back from watching a movie with a friend. Got pulled over bc (cop was running my license plate and car came back stolen because he ran it wrong) three cars show up cops with weapons drawn. I will never forget that. Scary shit. Handing over my DL and proof of insurance. After ten minutes of holding hands in the air with my friend doing the same he stomps back to my window hands back my stuff and tells me “you are lucky I didn’t shoot you. Your license plate came back as a stolen vehicle.” And just walks away. Fuck them sincerely.

• Hook 'Em 2

If APD is really going to go with the story that it took 20 minutes to respond because there weren't any cruisers in the area, what the fuck would they do if a shooter started rampaging through Austin High or O'Henry Middle School?

Either the cops are fucking lying or the Council needs to be ready to explain a half hour response to a mass shooting event. It's one or the other and both need to be fucking fixed.

That's kind of an important distinction chief. I like Austin because there are dozens of bad ass mountain bike trails and two lakes within 30 minutes of downtown.

Just now, Nicole44 said:

Anyone who wants government control of our lives is an idiot. When I lived in Houston (posted about this before) I was driving back from watching a movie with a friend. Got pulled over bc (cop was running my license plate and car came back stolen because he ran it wrong) three cars show up cops with weapons drawn. I will never forget that. Scary shit. Handing over my DL and proof of insurance. After ten minutes of holding hands in the air with my friend doing the same he stomps back to my window hands back my stuff and tells me “you are lucky I didn’t shoot you. Your license plate came back as a stolen vehicle.” And just walks away. Fuck them sincerely.

Or.....and I know that this is a wackadoo, pie-in-the-sky idea, but....how about they just DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS?

Imagine if we felt the same way about the fire department: you can't trust them to show up at your house when it's on fire, because maybe they want to make a point to City leadership about their upcoming contract negotiation?  And even if they do show up, you can't count on 'em to do their job right -- they're just as likely to burn your house down as they are to put the fire out.  And when they DO show up, they abuse you, treat you like shit, and demand that you worship them for it and say "thank you for your service."

We don't have to feel that way about the FD, we shouldn't feel that way about the PD.  The PD should do their fucking job, just like the FD does.  We want and need them to do their job.  Hayden's family NEEDED the police to do their job.  The member of the public who got injured in the car crash that followed NEEDED the police to do their job.  The role of the PD is an important one.  But the institution of APD is a pile of shit.

911 Response times have been shit for a while

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/austin-police-911-response-times-up-for-critical-calls-dire-staffing-blamed/amp/

Take a look at Friday, July 15: 

• Total calls: 868
  • Average response time: 37:37

Sundays are typically slower for patrol officers, so response times are quicker.

Take a look at Sunday, July 17:

• Total calls: 831
  • Average response time: 31:53

•  

https://www.kvue.com/amp/article/news/investigations/defenders/austin-police-patrol-officer-shortage/269-16f38194-2ffb-4f02-becc-3b4db6375f20

Wild random thought while I am simultaneously watching this shitshow of a murder trial of Alex Murdaugh…maybe if police were thought of as protectors instead of randomly pulling people over for tickets and profiling they’d be heralded. Instead their primary job is to earn money by issuing bullshit tickets for random reasons.

21 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

There is something here for everyone…lulz.

enjoy the beat down 

OMG OMG OMG Kenny Webster is right.  What has happened to this previously pastoral section of 6th street?  I remember taking my kids out on evening walks in their strollers to buy ice cream and balloon animals while listening to folk music at Steamboat.  This must be a recent development and due to woke culture. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, texasdago said:

OMG OMG OMG Kenny Webster is right.  What has happened to this previously pastoral section of 6th street?  I remember taking my kids out on evening walks in their strollers to buy ice cream and balloon animals while listening to folk music at Steamboat.  This must be a recent development and due to woke culture. 

The best bars were never on 6th imo from my time at UT. It was just to bar hop and see and be seen but 6th street did seem a bit safer back then. Naturally, I think of my time spent there as fun. I just saw that Tweet on my feed I don’t subscribe to the follower at all in terms of his opinions about shit just saw the video and wanted to share as it was surly worthy. 6th isn’t what it used to be. Imo. 

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The best bars were never on 6th imo from my time at UT. It was just to bar hop and see and be seen but 6th street did seem a bit safer back then. Naturally, I think of my time spent there as fun. I just saw that Tweet on my feed I don’t subscribe to the follower at all in terms of his opinions about shit just saw the video and wanted to share as it was surly worthy. 6th isn’t what it used to be. Imo. 

6th street has been a shithole for probably 20 years, likely longer.  It's shitholery is far from a recent development.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

6th street has been a shithole for probably 20 years, likely longer.  It's shitholery is far from a recent development.

Agreed. I can’t remember the name of the one bar my sorority sisters and I used to frequent (wasn’t on 6th) we basically went to 6th after Abel’s bc the sorority house was right across the parking lot 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Wild random thought while I am simultaneously watching this shitshow of a murder trial of Alex Murdaugh…maybe if police were thought of as protectors instead of randomly pulling people over for tickets and profiling they’d be heralded. Instead their primary job is to earn money by issuing bullshit tickets for random reasons.

AKA "ticket quotas"

• Hook 'Em 1