New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

fuck that noise

bring it on

I don't know that I would have scheduled Arky and aggy away on the same year. That plus the neutral site game at the cotton bowl means zero rivalry games at DKR. LSU on the road will be wild, can't wait for that. If it is true that we get Georgia at home, then that will be awesome. 

Either way, it all beats the hell out of KState, Kansas, and Baylor at home or some other bullshit B12 schedule. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why would you even consider spending the night in Collieville???

If you're into pegging fake soldiers, maybe, but otherwise....

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

so A&M is dodging both Bama and Georgia in 2024? Good grief.

Dodging Georgia is turdition.

3 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

There are a lot of similarities between USC going from the Pac 12 to the B1G and Texas going from the Big 12 to the SEC.  One that I think both teams will seriously benefit from is no longer being the only 800 pound gorilla in the room (USC) or 1 of 2 800 pound gorillas in the room (Texas and Oklahoma).  Coaches and teams in the B1G/SEC aren't going to spend a grossly disproportionate amount of time prepping for USC/Texas and treating it as their Super Bowl like schools in the Pac 12/Big 12 do.  People talk a lot of shit when USC/Texas lose to teams like Oregon State, Arizona State, Iowa State, Texas Tech etc but it's a different kind of tough to get through a schedule where every conference opponent treats you like their biggest game of the year while you really don't care much about most of them.  Every B1G/SEC schedule will have multiple opponents on USC's/Texas' level which makes it harder for the underdogs to laser focus on you.

Here are Baylor's games before and after Texas this fall: Long Island, Texas, at UCF.  They can dedicate the entire previous week to extra Texas prep and still have that game over by halftime.  If they have a hangover the following week against UCF that's still a winnable game.  Even if blowing their load vs Texas costs them the UCF game I'm sure Baylor's fans, players and coaches would accept your offer if you guaranteed them a win over Texas followed by a loss to UCF.  This Super Bowl shit isn't feasible in the SEC or the B1G and that's a major reason why those conferences have fewer upsets.  If Mississippi State has a stretch of Alabama/Texas/LSU and they treat their game against Texas the way Baylor does they will get their ass handed to them the week before and after playing Texas.  Even if it's a more manageable stretch of Arkansas/Texas/South Carolina there will still be other juggernauts on Mississippi State's schedule eventually and the Davids can only get up for so many David vs Goliath types of games a year, so being in a conference with more Goliaths means you're less likely to catch David on his giant killer day.

There's also the fact teams in the B1G/SEC have less history with USC/Texas and thus less motivation to circle the calendar and play with their hair on fire that week, though this is more pronounced for USC since Texas is a better regional fit in the SEC than USC is in the B1G and Texas has more rivals in their new conference.  In any case, USC will benefit from no longer playing against teams that live on California recruiting and I'm sure there will be a similar benefit for Texas playing fewer games against teams built on Texas recruiting.  Every fucking conference game I have to hear the announcers talk about how so and so on the other team is a local boy who grew up a USC fan but USC never offered because he was a low 3* recruit and now he comes into the game with a massive chip on his shoulder.  I'm sure there are similar narratives for Texas' Big 12 games.  Put about 50 more of those chips on the shoulder for every Big 12/Pac 12 game played by Texas/USC and it starts to explain why these teams that shouldn't be able to compete on paper give Texas/USC a lot of trouble.

Agreed with you on all of your points.  But, I had to comment because of the "Here are Baylor's games before and after Texas this fall: Long Island."  I had to look that up because I never heard of a football team called Long Island.  Sure enough: Long Island University Post Sharks. What the fuck.  These Baylor pussies are unreal.  SMDH

7 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Um, I was told that that drunk Cajun was a liar.

I don't know the truth about all that.  I do know that it will be great to have all of these SEC schools come down to visit.  Florida and Georgia coming to town will be much more exciting than Kansas St. and West Virginia. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Plorant said:

Agreed with you on all of your points.  But, I had to comment because of the "Here are Baylor's games before and after Texas this fall: Long Island."  I had to look that up because I never heard of a football team called Long Island.  Sure enough: Long Island University Post Sharks. What the fuck.  These Baylor pussies are unreal.  SMDH

I had never heard of them before either, but to be fair Baylor plays Utah the week before they play Long Island.

23 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

There are a lot of similarities between USC going from the Pac 12 to the B1G and Texas going from the Big 12 to the SEC.  One that I think both teams will seriously benefit from is no longer being the only 800 pound gorilla in the room (USC) or 1 of 2 800 pound gorillas in the room (Texas and Oklahoma).  Coaches and teams in the B1G/SEC aren't going to spend a grossly disproportionate amount of time prepping for USC/Texas and treating it as their Super Bowl like schools in the Pac 12/Big 12 do.  People talk a lot of shit when USC/Texas lose to teams like Oregon State, Arizona State, Iowa State, Texas Tech etc but it's a different kind of tough to get through a schedule where every conference opponent treats you like their biggest game of the year while you really don't care much about most of them.  Every B1G/SEC schedule will have multiple opponents on USC's/Texas' level which makes it harder for the underdogs to laser focus on you.

Here are Baylor's games before and after Texas this fall: Long Island, Texas, at UCF.  They can dedicate the entire previous week to extra Texas prep and still have that game over by halftime.  If they have a hangover the following week against UCF that's still a winnable game.  Even if blowing their load vs Texas costs them the UCF game I'm sure Baylor's fans, players and coaches would accept your offer if you guaranteed them a win over Texas followed by a loss to UCF.  This Super Bowl shit isn't feasible in the SEC or the B1G and that's a major reason why those conferences have fewer upsets.  If Mississippi State has a stretch of Alabama/Texas/LSU and they treat their game against Texas the way Baylor does they will get their ass handed to them the week before and after playing Texas.  Even if it's a more manageable stretch of Arkansas/Texas/South Carolina there will still be other juggernauts on Mississippi State's schedule eventually and the Davids can only get up for so many David vs Goliath types of games a year, so being in a conference with more Goliaths means you're less likely to catch David on his giant killer day.

There's also the fact teams in the B1G/SEC have less history with USC/Texas and thus less motivation to circle the calendar and play with their hair on fire that week, though this is more pronounced for USC since Texas is a better regional fit in the SEC than USC is in the B1G and Texas has more rivals in their new conference.  In any case, USC will benefit from no longer playing against teams that live on California recruiting and I'm sure there will be a similar benefit for Texas playing fewer games against teams built on Texas recruiting.  Every fucking conference game I have to hear the announcers talk about how so and so on the other team is a local boy who grew up a USC fan but USC never offered because he was a low 3* recruit and now he comes into the game with a massive chip on his shoulder.  I'm sure there are similar narratives for Texas' Big 12 games.  Put about 50 more of those chips on the shoulder for every Big 12/Pac 12 game played by Texas/USC and it starts to explain why these teams that shouldn't be able to compete on paper give Texas/USC a lot of trouble.

Great post and dead on. The part about the 3* that "Texas didn't even offer" is as common for us as you, believe it. It's fucking nauseating and I can't wait for less of it. That will pop up against the local non-con and damned near no one else from the conference. Baylor, Tech, TCU, and Okie State games against UT have had that shit said 10,000 times by the announcers. 

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2024 SEC Schedule reveal 6pm CT tonight on 

Screenshot_20230614-161931_kindlephoto-21137932.png.a4464dae473dca954a8c0bcebbeae8d1.png

Gratuitous spam. No shit this is happening and everyone on this thread is aware of it. Pull it together.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Great post and dead on. The part about the 3* that "Texas didn't even offer" is as common for us as you, believe it. It's fucking nauseating and I can't wait for less of it. That will pop up against the local non-con and damned near no one else from the conference. Baylor, Tech, TCU, and Okie State games against UT have had that shit said 10,000 times by the announcers. 

Gratuitous spam. No shit this is happening and everyone on this thread is aware of it. Pull it together.

Hell Greg McElroy said it about himself this year during the OU game. 

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why are you so hot under the collar?  Because of what Deion is building up north?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BERT said:

He's baiting you into another bet he can't lose. 

Deion got that train rolling.  Thinking third place in PAC at worst

Just now, closetojumping said:

That's done, sir. If Deion doesn't go bowling this year with a winning record, I am a crisp $1000 richer.

No sir.  5 hundo.  My 5 hundo vs your 1k.  Don't get greedy now. And it was just bowling.

Edited by closetohumping

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Deion got that train rolling.  Thinking third place in PAC at worst

No sir.  5 hundo.  My 5 hundo vs your 1k.  Don't get greedy now. And it was just bowling.

I just checked and that's correct on the money. I have to say that there should be a caveat about bowling with a record below .500 just nullifies the bet because the whole thing was about arguing over them making a legitimate bowl run.

Just now, closetojumping said:

I just checked and that's correct on the money. I have to say that there should be a caveat about bowling with a record below .500 just nullifies the bet because the whole thing was about arguing over them making a legitimate bowl run.

I'll say 5-7 is a push.  6-6 and a bowl invite I win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Great post.  Compounding things even further is that while the Big 12 didn't really ever have a 'Bama/Ohio St/Georgia caliber monster in recent years, they generally have 6-8 GOOD teams every year ... that nobody nationally gives a fuck about.  Getting beat by a stout Iowa State or Oklahoma State team is worthy of mockery for us, yet a matchup against a lesser talented Ole Miss or Auburn team is a nationally hyped event for the big dogs in the SEC.
We've had a garbage product on the field for a while now, but I also don't think the difficulties presented by being one of only two nationally relevant programs in a conference is fully appreciated by the college football universe.  It will be great to get the fuck out.

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not sure how SEC plans to do it for 2024 with our addition and OU. Last year they released the schedule with dates in September. They've presumptively been working on scheduling for 6 months or more so I don't see why they just wouldn't release full schedule with dates.

This is how they released it last year:

https://www.secsports.com/article/34632093/sec-releases-2023-football-schedule

Confirmed just now. Just releasing the home/away and the opponents. They aren't releasing the dates until later. 

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

USC. 
or Bama as a non conference game. 

That would be fun, but USC already has LSU and Notre Dame on the schedule in 2024.  USC also has a 2025-26 home and home with Ole Miss, but going forward I think USC's noncon spots will be mostly cupcake home games with the occasional neutral site game close to LA (the LSU game is in Las Vegas).  With 4-5 trips a year to the Central and Eastern time zones to play B1G games + Notre Dame USC should be minimizing travel in the noncon schedule.

37 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Great post.  Compounding things even further is that while the Big 12 didn't really ever have a 'Bama/Ohio St/Georgia caliber monster in recent years, they generally have 6-8 GOOD teams every year ... that nobody nationally gives a fuck about.  Getting beat by a stout Iowa State or Oklahoma State team is worthy of mockery for us, yet a matchup against a lesser talented Ole Miss or Auburn team is a nationally hyped event for the big dogs in the SEC.
We've had a garbage product on the field for a while now, but I also don't think the difficulties presented by being one of only two nationally relevant programs in a conference is fully appreciated by the college football universe.  It will be great to get the fuck out.

Right, from the beauty pageant aspect of things wins and losses vs SEC teams are viewed differently than they are vs Big 12 or Pac 12 teams.  In their last two bowl games Texas Tech spanked both of the Mississippi schools yet I guarantee next year Alabama and LSU will get more love for beating those teams than any Big 12 team will get for beating Tech.  The SEC is always great at the very top but their middle class gets way too much credit from voters and the committee.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Trojan Man said:

Don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but I don't think it has as much of an effect as you do.  Texas has been getting beaten because we haven't been very good, plain and simple.  We haven't had the coaching and we've been trying to play 2000's football.

I am a Texas alumnus and obviously love Longhorns football, but I'm also a realist.  Back when the Big 12 was stout and Texas/OU were in the mix for Nattys, I used to scoff when people would tell me the SEC was a different animal.  Then I moved to an SEC powerhouse city for a few years for work.  The first week I was there, I saw some of the football players in a local gym.  Not "collegiate student athletes" like I was used to seeing in the Big 12...these guys were grown ass men.  I was mid-30s and not a small guy myself - former collegiate athlete and have stayed in good shape - and these guys made me look like a little kid.  Looked up their jersey numbers from their t-shirts - "19 years old, RS freshman", "20 years old, second string OLB"...MFers looked more like a 30-year old NFL players.

It's one thing to hang with Alabama at home for 4 quarters and lose by 1 point.  It's another to play SEC teams week in and week out.  I hope we're ready, but like I said before - it's going to take a big mentality shift.  Finesse, skill players, and "we're Texas" won't cut it.  We're going to have to get nasty...which is a little more difficult for us than most of the SEC schools because...well, we're Texas (a public ivy with standards).

Whatever happens, it's going to be a helluva ride and fun to watch.