New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

18 hours ago, TexArcher said:

"Classless!"

--aggy

"I can't wait until we get a cheap shot in on Arch and make him the new Cart McCry!"

-- Also aggy

Can't wait until they deliver a cheap shot on the sideline again to allow our QB to herp and derp down the middle of the field to set up the game winning field goal.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

If they run this back in 2025 we will be in the OU situation

We wont, they said that all sec schools will play the newcomers the first two seasons. 

so that means 2025 season we will draw LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Bama, SCar, and Mizzou plus whatever other games. 

55 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

We wont, they said that all sec schools will play the newcomers the first two seasons. 

so that means 2025 season we will draw LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Bama, SCar, and Mizzou plus whatever other games. 

Think you got some wires crossed no way we won’t play aggy in 2025…

florida and georgia at dkr is the big payout

2 name-brand national-title schools IN CONFERENCE at dkr in the same season is the reason for this move

4 homers for us v. 3 for 0u reads to me like a fiscal thing.....  we're getting paid back for paying for their buyout....

however no tears for them

they get bammer at home

they also get vols

2 name-brand national-title schools IN CONFERENCE in Norman

the revenue bonus for us is the klan aggy game

they get cock, we get ken-tuck-ee, that's a wash

klan aggy is the first payment for our funding their buyout

i expect 3 or 4 more of these 'payments' over the next 10 years

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm guessing 2025 will be the same schedule for all schools, to allow everyone who went on the road to host (ex: Georgia to host Texas).  After that, who knows.

Was thinking that, but that would mean we aren't playing Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, etc for two years.  

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Was thinking that, but that would mean we aren't playing Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, etc for two years.  

I think anyone expecting any form of symmetry between 2024 and 2025 is going to be disappointed. The SEC has shown historically that they'll do whatever the hell they want with scheduling, no matter who thinks it makes sense. I expect 2025 to either be the launch of 9 game schedules or another 8 games of random shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think anyone expecting any form of symmetry between 2024 and 2025 is going to be disappointed. The SEC has shown historically that they'll do whatever the hell they want with scheduling, no matter who thinks it makes sense. I expect 2025 to either be the launch of 9 game schedules or another 8 games of random shitshow.

IIRC they said 2024 was a "one off" because they couldn't figure out how to do a 9 game schedule.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hope it is the launch of the 3/6 9 game schedule. It makes too much sense.

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

True.  They could either flip the 24 schedule or say we play the other teams next year somehow.  But no way would we not play arky/aggy again.  JMO>

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Think you got some wires crossed no way we won’t play aggy in 2025…

Oh I don't doubt we will. Notice I did not name 8 games. I just know that the league wants everyone to play the new teams the first two years. I think the SEC is going to give us OU and aggy every year they possibly can. Arky may or may not get that game every season until we go to 9. 

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they get cock, we get ken-tuck-ee, that's a wash

ou ALWAYS gets cock. It is known. 

17 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

This is pretty damn funny.

This is fucking excellent. CDC retweeting puts the icing on the cake.

16 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Trip to Nashville eh?  

Monell’s!

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Am I the only one that thinks that 2024 is a "one-off" because the B1G & the SEC are still (off the record, through backchannels) negotiating with ACC member institutions and they know that enough of them will eject in the next 12 months to give them optimism as a collective of defeating the GOR in court?

FYI - I drank at breakfast again.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I betcha they stay with 8.  

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

listening to the SEC radio on XM yesterday and today.. they been chirping about keeping it at 8 now.. they were all in at 9 til recently. 

Two problems with that:

1) They're getting a lot of pressure from other conferences and the media now about the 8 game issue. There is a credible argument to be made that teams playing 9 games conference schedules should and will be given a preference in the 12 team CFP. Reasoning for that is competitiveness of schedule. Is a 3 loss OSU team in 2025 that lost to Texas, USC and Michigan a worse candidate for the final CFP spot than a 3 loss Alabama team that lost to Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss?

Who knows, but if OSU played 9 conference games and had 2 FBS wins OOC and Bama played only 8 conference opponents, 3 OOC lightweights and an FCS program, the committee is going to be picking the Big 10 program every time going forward. Everyone is going to be putting pressure on the SEC to comply and the ACC, a band of imbeciles only hiding in the shadows because the Pac X is on another level, is assuredly going to get repeatedly punished. The only chances an 8 conference game ACC team has of making the playoffs is winning the league or being Florida State and going 11-2 or better with a title game loss and UF win. Maybe the same is true for Clemson if South Carolina is bizarrely good one year. 

2) Money. It's publicly acknowledged that the SEC is talking to their "media partners" about future changes in their inventory. There isn't a credible argument anyone can make about 16 games against FCS schools and the likes of ULM being more valuable than 8 more in-conference games in terms of viewership and ad dollars.

The difference in what anyone makes in the televising of Arkansas vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff instead of, say, Arkansas versus Oklahoma as a 9th conference game in 2024 would legitimately be millions, if not tens of millions of dollars. That's just a simple match-up whereas some of the 8 additional match-ups could be huge games. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, jetsfan76 said:

It'd be great to have aggy as just some rando Sept matchup.

Fuck that. That should be the Thanksgiving rivalry game. And fuck Aggys that think LSU is their Thanksgiving rival. Enough with trying to devalue this game. There are literally houses divided on Thanksgiving, which is what this game is all about.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Fuck that. That should be the Thanksgiving rivalry game. And fuck Aggys that think LSU is their Thanksgiving rival. Enough with trying to devalue this game. There are literally houses divided on Thanksgiving, which is what this game is all about.

Literally?

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

The NFL has killed thanksgiving day college games. Best to move on. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Viper said:

The NFL has killed thanksgiving day college games. Best to move on. 

Sad but true.  Personally I don't give a rat's ass and would gladly attend the game on T-day, but the broadcast partner is going to want to showcase that game in some time slot that is NOT completely dominated  by the NFL.

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Lsu rather play Auburn yearly and Piggy on T-giving weekend than Aggie 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Two problems with that:

1) They're getting a lot of pressure from other conferences and the media now about the 8 game issue. There is a credible argument to be made that teams playing 9 games conference schedules should and will be given a preference in the 12 team CFP. Reasoning for that is competitiveness of schedule. Is a 3 loss OSU team in 2025 that lost to Texas, USC and Michigan a worse candidate for the final CFP spot than a 3 loss Alabama team that lost to Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss?

Who knows, but if OSU played 9 conference games and had 2 FBS wins OOC and Bama played only 8 conference opponents, 3 OOC lightweights and an FCS program, the committee is going to be picking the Big 10 program every time going forward. Everyone is going to be putting pressure on the SEC to comply and the ACC, a band of imbeciles only hiding in the shadows because the Pac X is on another level, is assuredly going to get repeatedly punished. The only chances an 8 conference game ACC team has of making the playoffs is winning the league or being Florida State and going 11-2 or better with a title game loss and UF win. Maybe the same is true for Clemson if South Carolina is bizarrely good one year. 

2) Money. It's publicly acknowledged that the SEC is talking to their "media partners" about future changes in their inventory. There isn't a credible argument anyone can make about 16 games against FCS schools and the likes of ULM being more valuable than 8 more in-conference games in terms of viewership and ad dollars.

The difference in what anyone makes in the televising of Arkansas vs. Arkansas Pine Bluff instead of, say, Arkansas versus Oklahoma as a 9th conference game in 2024 would legitimately be millions, if not tens of millions of dollars. That's just a simple match-up whereas some of the 8 additional match-ups could be huge games. 

If only having 8 conference games hasn't hurt the SEC in getting playoff teams into a 4 team field, I can't imagine it is going to be more difficult in a 12 team field. This conference has always gotten the benefit of the doubt with their bullshit scheduling, and that was before adding two bluebloods into the mix and dispatching with their imbalanced divisional matchups.

What is going to be interesting to me is how the polls work going forward. Going back as far as I can remember, the polls have always had their own sort of internal logic based on teams needing to go undefeated as the standard to win a national championship. They've always put more emphasis on punishing losing teams and rewarding the winners, regardless of the competition. There needs to be a recalibration of this mindset that the dolt sportswriters and whoever the fuck fills out the coach's ballots are probably incapable of. I suppose the polls should be meaningless going forward when they used to mean everything, but I still wonder how they factor into playoff team selection. So to me, the question isn't a 3 loss Ohio State vs. Bama (they're both likely getting in), it's one of them against a one loss Boise State who hasn't played anybody.

With regard to your second point, if the networks aren't willing to pony up more cash (which they haven't done yet) for more games and it's not impacting the playoff selection, what is the motivation? And I ask that as someone who is in favor of the 9 game schedule. I also wonder if there isn't a law of diminishing returns somewhere here. Sure, Arkansas v. Oklahoma is worth X more than Arkansas v. Pine Bluff, but not if it's being played on the SEC channel at the same time as Tenn v. Texas. I'm too lazy to do the math on just how many truly marquee games there are, but just browsing through the schedule it's staggering how many great matchups there are across the board. I'm all for having more of them, but I don't know how much it moves the needle when there are already so many good games.

5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

the game should be T+2 and kick at 4pm after the michigan/tosu game ends

in years played at pyle, leave at 10am from wherever you are and you're at the tailgate by 1pm latest, and plenty of time to get to austin or houston afterwards; dallasites probably heading to either before heading home sunday

sure houses divided, but every other year at home, season holders dont' get to have the holiday meal - sure the tailgate is great - but thursday itself is now an nfl day triple: t+2 = brilliant

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

I will concede this point. Nevertheless, Texas should play Aggy this Friday/Saturday rivalry weekend moving forward.

I think we’ll play aggy on Black Friday in primetime. I’m sure the Iron Bowl will hold on to Saturday night. 

I hope ESPN doesn’t press the issue. The NFL owns Thanksgiving. They’d get a good number on the first game, but it would taper off after that. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Thiefery said:

listening to the SEC radio on XM yesterday and today.. they been chirping about keeping it at 8 now.. they were all in at 9 til recently. 

Historically, our FSU game every year provides a high-quality opponent for an OOC game. We make a bunch of money at home playing directional schools, and we are trying to play Miami now and again, because we need to vastly improve our south Florida recruiting.  There are always $$ issues that lead us to not want nine conference games. 

Edited by Gatorubet