New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

Going to aggy I can understand but going to Fayettenam when we just went there is a tad weird. But everyone across the SEC will be somewhat upset with the reveal tonight. I don’t mind playing Georgia. This is what we signed up for. I bet OU gets Florida for sure. A bunch of regional play and then some cross country travel. 

Yeah we should not be going to Arkansas. It’s LSU we owe a visit. Beyond that, don’t really care where we get sent.

10 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Its clear that Sankey is unsure what schedules will look like in 2025 and beyond, so he just schedules a buncha big names to play each other in 2024

No, if we’re playing Arkansas and aggy then that means there’s somewhat of a pairing in mind with your permanent rivals but a lot of that will fall on regionality and tradition. Bama will still have Auburn, Tennessee, and some of the old SEC West opponents. The only thing that doesn’t make a ton of sense is away at Arkansas because that will create an uneven split when we’re also the away side against OU. I figured we’d get a 1/2 split of home/away with those 3. Years we’re home team in Dallas, we get Arkansas or aggy at home. But we might be looking at 2026 for the whole move to 9 conference games scenario.

Yeah throw it all out the window if true and this is maybe a 2 year stop gap. I’m going to guess we get miss state, auburn, Kentucky, and LSU. OU gets Florida, Bama, Ole Miss, Mizzou (away), Vandy, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Edited by mdmost

37 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Colorado State, @Michigan, UTSA, + another cupcake school, then @arky, Georgia, vs. OU, @aggy... my guess to complete the schedule is @LSU (complete the home and home), Vandy at home, @KY or USCe, and one of the Miss Schools at home. 

Right, because the SEC is sticking with the 7-1 model, we only have 11 regular season games scheduled at the moment. I feel stupid that this is just now occurring to me.

But who could we even schedule this late? Every P5 has already got their 2024 built out and I would imagine most of the G5 does as well. It's especially difficult because the gap in our schedule probably comes late in the season (unless we want to add a week 0 game). I'm sure an FCS team would jump at the chance, but I don't love the idea of playing an FCS. 

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Right, because the SEC is sticking with the 7-1 model, we only have 11 regular season games scheduled at the moment. I feel stupid that this is just now occurring to me.

But who could we even schedule this late? Every P5 has already got their 2024 built out and I would imagine most of the G5 does as well. It's especially difficult because the gap in our schedule probably comes late in the season (unless we want to add a week 0 game). I'm sure an FCS team would jump at the chance, but I don't love the idea of playing an FCS. 

We almost certainly will end up with an FCS opponent.  And fuck the SEC for putting us into this position.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Rage+1 2

Who cares who/where we have play on the road?  Let's just roll in and fuck 'em up, whoever it is.  Would be sweet to open SEC play with wins against Arky and Aggy in their houses. 

I know Sark's been recruiting in preparation for the move (bigger in the trenches, etc.), but to be competitive in the SEC, we're going to have to find that last little "something" that's been missing for the last decade.  Can't be the rich program riding tradition anymore...we're going to have to get a blue collar attitude and start getting nasty.

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This. Fuck fcs opponents

how did we end up with SHSU in the past? Didnt someone back out and we didnt have anyone?

It's pretty fucking simple. NCAA went from 11 regular season games to 12 so we had to find an opponent last minute essentially which is pretty much what happened here. No point in blaming SEC for it.

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah it was big damned deal when Peyton Manning was there. I’d say Florida has more shared history with Tennessee than LSU, but I can’t say I understand the situation very well as an outsider. 

Perhaps some of the thread Gators could explain. 

No idea.

When the 3-6-6 model first started being talked about a year ago, we were told Florida-Tennessee would be gone because:

• Bama is Tennessee's biggest rivalry
  • Tennessee is Vandy's biggest rivalry
  • Tennessee is Kentucky's biggest rivalry
  • Florida/Tennessee isn't an old rivalry
  • Tennessee is a "bottom 8" program and can only play 1 "top 8" program

We only know a year later that the last bullet isn't necessarily the methodology used to create permanent matchups.

Florida has a lot of rivalries. I think the most important thing is that we keep Georgia and there's no risk to our #2 rival in FSU OOC. The rest is negotiable since we'll be playing everyone 2/4 years anyway, we're still "getting back" lost rivalries like Auburn even if they aren't yearly.

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

Colorado State, @Michigan, UTSA, + another cupcake school, then @arky, Georgia, vs. OU, @aggy... my guess to complete the schedule is @LSU (complete the home and home), Vandy at home, @KY or USCe, and one of the Miss Schools at home. 

@Mich, @LSU, @aggy, @arky plus OU and Georgia... most teams go years without a single game at this level.  Gonna be a fucking warzone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.22fc273ac825549d2b7c8cf2c9f8971d.png

The Arkansas backout yall keep talking about was for the 2009 season and the 2008 game was canceled if I'm not mistake because of a Hurricane.

The 2008 game was played. One of our 52-10 non-conf wins that season. We beat 3 diff non-conf teams 52-10 that season (Rice, Arky and FAU)

Game was pushed back 2 weeks. We lost our scheduled bye week and then played that murder‘s row of OU, Mizz, OSU and Tech

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.22fc273ac825549d2b7c8cf2c9f8971d.png

The Arkansas backout yall keep talking about was for the 2009 season and the 2008 game was canceled if I'm not mistake because of a Hurricane.

We did not have a hurricane cancellation, just a delay of two weeks.

If the Arkansas game was originally scheduled for '09, that suggests that Louisiana-Monroe was our substitution.

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

aggy gets their wish. They also set themselves up for the full aggy. We beat them at home they can rationalize. When we beat their ass in College Station though….

Be careful what you ask for.

I’m just thinking of the cluster fuck it will be to get a place to stay where they’re not price gouging the shit out of you. 

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Couldn't remember if it was played or canceled. Thanks for the reminder!

We were supposed to have a bye before we rolled into conf play and since we didn’t, we had to play 9 straight weeks. We were gassed by Tech

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

aggy gets their wish. They also set themselves up for the full aggy. We beat them at home they can rationalize. When we beat their ass in College Station though….

Be careful what you ask for.

Exactly this.  They put themselves in a must-win situation and they seem to have forgotten that the last time the Horns came to college station they lost to a team led by this guy

Case McCoy, Texas, Quarterback

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The first trip to Fayetteville they should make the team go by bus.  That would get the idea across.

Since we never went to Norman, and nobody likes going to college station, Fayetteville was always my favorite road trip. It was just like being on location for Deliverance.

It's not Akers/Broyles Fayettenam anymore.  The 412 Turnpike, I-540, XNA and the rise of Wal-Mart in the last 30 years have transformed Northwest Arkansas.

500k+ live there now.  4-story buildings with all of the big corporate names dot the landscape.  All the national chains present.

In the 90s fog at Drake field (the old airport in use in '69 on the south side of Fayetteville with crappy ILS approaches both directions) still required a diversion to Ft. Smith and a 2-hour bus ride up the old US-71 2-lane road.  Today, XNA sits up on a plateau west of town with nonstop flights to all the hubs on mainline metal. 

Today, tons of Dallas kids who want the out-of-state experience are choosing Pig over Klan because it's only 5 hours away (at ticketing speed).

It will still be a rivalry but Starkville and Auburn will replace Fayetteville on the Deliverance calendar.

A long drive from Austin and Houston, but from Dallas, a 2pm kick is potentially a day trip with multiple drivers.