New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

was also at the nd Texas game in 2015. Highlight of that weekend was spending Friday afternoon at Wrigley and the cubby bear afterwards. Also a home team win so most were in a good mood. 

Was at the ballgame too just did our postgame festivities at the dueling piano bar at Sluggers.  Man I got my ass kicked riding to the game on my motorcycle had to pull over and hide under a underpasses a couple of times on I-94 on the way in.  Once I got to Linebacker Lounge and met up with my friends pregame was literally the only fun I had on that trip.  I wound up leaving the game early because I was flying back to Houston the next day to pack for my Singapore trip.

In 1995 the only claim to fame/fun there was it was my first game in South Bend and I sat in front of Coral Noonan's mom

Other than that fuck South Bend when wearing burnt orange....

11 hours ago, TornACL said:

That Michigan trip is going to be fucking epic. Still have never been there, on my short list of big time CFB venues left to experience.

Yeah... Ann Arbor and "The Big House" fucks!!!

Texas will play at Michigan to begin the series on Sept. 7, 2024 before the Wolverines head south to play the Longhorns on the road on Sept. 11, 2027, the schools announced Tuesday.

OIF.tJ12CUpp13wnthNPgqp3lQ?pid=ImgDet&dp

Great venue, awesome tailgating, fantastic fans

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So, the SEC is going to be 2 divisions and you will not play everyone in that division. This is fucking stupid.

It is fucking stupid but they will throw out that crazy redneck randomizer and pick games at least for 2024.

As long as we get a schedule of OU, Ag, Pig, & Corndog for 2024 I don't really care about the other 4 slackjaws they pick.

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I doubt it will be a 1 year bridge schedule. They're going to do 2 years to allow for home and homes with the other 7 teams. At the earliest, I bet the 3-6, 9 game schedule begins in '26.

5 hours ago, TheContractor said:

many of yall are super confident we will play aggie in 2024. hope so but i dont think we will. If, $ is the reason, they should not play that game in 24 and make networks pay for that one in 25. Iron bowl, egg bowl, RRR, UGA/Auburn, Lsu/Bama, UF/UGA will be played but they will keep a couple of games off the schedule to make networks want them. Texas/Aggie, Bama/Tenn, UF/LSU are all options of games not played in 24. 

hoping they change it to 9 in 25 but i do think itll be 2 years(so they can even it up(1-7-7), unless networks really pay up. 

It'll be 1 year if Disney decides to cough up the cash for a 9-game schedule after 1 year.  It'll be more, if not.

But I disagree with the idea that they'll switch to the "other" 7 teams in 2025 if the conference schedule remains 8 games, with some plan to round out the rotation.  The SEC doesn't give a crap about rounding out the rotation.  The ags have only played Georgia once in the 11 years they've been in the SEC. The SEC doesn't care at all about that.

And assuming they use the 2024 no-division schedule to maintain all of the key rivalries, then there's no way they could flip to the "opposite 7" in 2025 because it would immediately break all of those rivalries they managed to preserve in 2024.  Having one perma-rival isn't enough for most teams in the SEC.

If it does remain an 8-game schedule in 2025, then I expect they'll maintain all of the key rivalries they protected in 2024, and only rotate the remaining games.  

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Why does everyone think SEC will eventually go to 9 conference games? That’s not something that’s ever going to happen 

You clearly do not understand the concept of money.  As soon as the pedo mouse network ponies up they will all fall in line but they are going to hold out until then.

• Hook 'Em 1

Given we're just wrapping up a series, I would think Texas getting Bama isn't as likely. I'd imagine OU will get Tennessee as they had a series planned  for 2024 that was cancelled by the SEC. We'll get a marquee opponent for sure like Georgia. I'd imagine regionality is going to be a big part of this temporary schedule. So we'll see most of the SEC West and then a couple from the SEC East. That way everyone's panties don't get in a wad. I'm hoping for Tennessee and Vandy because those would be fun destinations to travel to. There's worse things than a weekend in Nashville. 

Edited by mdmost

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

You clearly do not understand the concept of money.  As soon as the pedo mouse network ponies up they will all fall in line but they are going to hold out until then.

Really ?

Take that shit to CR.

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Why does everyone think SEC will eventually go to 9 conference games? That’s not something that’s ever going to happen 

Because the SEC has 2 conflicting wants/needs.

1) Everyone wants to play everyone else more often. No one likes the current rotation which takes 12 seasons to complete a home-home with everyone.

2) There are a lot of existing rivalries in the conference. Most of the schools want multiple protected games.

3-6-6 is the format that handles both needs the best.

Edited by gatormarc
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

So, 2034 then?  I do not see why anyone would assume that ESPN would pay the SEC more for 9 games in 2025-2033 if they were not willing to pay more in 2024.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30492065/sec-espn-strike-10-year-deal-college-football-basketball-starting-2024

ESPN and the SEC announced Thursday that they have reached a 10-year deal beginning in 2024 that will make the network the exclusive rights holder of SEC football and men's basketball.

4 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

So, 2034 then?  I do not see why anyone would assume that ESPN would pay the SEC more for 9 games in 2025-2033 if they were not willing to pay more in 2024.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30492065/sec-espn-strike-10-year-deal-college-football-basketball-starting-2024

I think we're all assuming there's a look-in window or clause that ups the amount if the SEC adds teams of value or adds conference games. 

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Embarrassing. 

Very embarrassing to have aggy be right.

16 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Expecting this eight game slate for next year:

bama

georgia

florida

aggy

lsu

oklahoma

piggy

ole miss

welcome to the sec

bama - W

georgia - L

florida - W

aggy - W

lsu - W

oklahoma - W

piggy - W

ole miss  - W

welcome to the sec - I like it. Rematch against UGA in our inaugural SEC CCG.

Put SHSU or TxSt on for 2024. At least they are FBS now

edit: i see TxSt is on schedule already for 2026. Guess its SHSU then. Or it would be nice to somehow put SMU on, seeing how they are the only FBS team in Texas that we havent played in the past 20 years

Edited by GreenspointTexas

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

Very embarrassing to have aggy be right.

bama - W

georgia - L

florida - W

aggy - W

lsu - W

oklahoma - W

piggy - W

ole miss  - W

welcome to the sec - I like it. Rematch against UGA in our inaugural SEC CCG.

All this while possibly starting a new QB.

I’ll have what you’re having!

• Haha 1

I think Sankey will be looking for precedent, so I imagine most of the projected permanent opponents will be on the 2024 schedule. As it was said upthread, I bet Texas plays aggy and piggy. We also owe LSU a home game. I'd rather it address it in the one off year than kick it down the road. 

That leaves 4 spots for 11 teams probably minus Bama. I'd like to play Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida/Tennessee/Georgia, and Vandy/Kentucky. No Misery, South Carolina, and StarkVegas would be nice. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Sankey will be looking for precedent, so I imagine most of the projected permanent opponents will be on the 2024 schedule. As it was said upthread, I bet Texas plays aggy and piggy. We also owe LSU a home game. I'd rather it address it in the one off year than kick it down the road. 

That leaves 4 spots for 11 teams probably minus Bama. I'd like to play Auburn, Ole Miss, Florida/Tennessee/Georgia, and Vandy/Kentucky. No Misery, South Carolina, and StarkVegas would be nice. 

There will also be a push for some of the rotation games that still haven't happened because of the ridiculously long 12 year rotation that the SEC adopted when Mizzou and A&M joined.

Like UGA @ A&M or Ole Miss @ Florida

Edited by gatormarc

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I forgot about that night game. We'll definitely have @LSU on there. 

If I had to guess I think we'll get this:

OU in Dallas

Arkansas- home

aggy- away

LSU- away

Miss State- home

Mizzou- home

Florida- away

South Carolina- away

I think OU and us will trade the home game for whomever is the host of Texas OU. So if it's our year to host, we lose a home game. 2025 these flip. 2026 everyone goes to 9 games. The South Carolina could flip to home and the Arkansas or Mizzou game flip to away to give those two a little kiss for Texas being back in. Though I'd imagine OU will go to Mizzou and be a permanent rival at some point when 9 games is agreed to. 

Edited by mdmost

32 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Lots of words, so I'm not sure if you all want it pasted in full here.

Trying to break down everyone's preference and why it is.

https://flyoversports.substack.com/p/making-sense-of-sec-scheduling-preferences

I can't believe 9 of 14 teams chose an 8-game SEC schedule.

It's both cowardly and financially irresponsible. I thought Sankey already had a deal in place with ESPN for the additional two bluebloods and 16 league games? What a clusterfuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pimphand said:

WTF, are you Ron Desantis?

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

It's both cowardly and financially irresponsible. I thought Sankey already had a deal in place with ESPN for the additional two bluebloods and 16 league games? What a clusterfuck.

Cowardly YES, but it IS financially responsible to vote 8 game schedule right now bc they want espn/abc to pony up for those extra 8 games. If espn/abc said we will pay you $5mm/extra sec game, they vote yes today. Espn isnt willing to right now. 

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

It'll be 1 year if Disney decides to cough up the cash for a 9-game schedule after 1 year.  It'll be more, if not.

But I disagree with the idea that they'll switch to the "other" 7 teams in 2025 if the conference schedule remains 8 games, with some plan to round out the rotation.  The SEC doesn't give a crap about rounding out the rotation.  The ags have only played Georgia once in the 11 years they've been in the SEC. The SEC doesn't care at all about that.

And assuming they use the 2024 no-division schedule to maintain all of the key rivalries, then there's no way they could flip to the "opposite 7" in 2025 because it would immediately break all of those rivalries they managed to preserve in 2024.  Having one perma-rival isn't enough for most teams in the SEC.

If it does remain an 8-game schedule in 2025, then I expect they'll maintain all of the key rivalries they protected in 2024, and only rotate the remaining games.  

Definitely makes sense. Iron bowl and uga/auburn, fla/tenn, egg bowl get played every year no matter what. 

10 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

It really looks like we had 5 votes for 3-6-6; 5 votes for 1-7-7; and 4 schools that wouldn't commit to either yet, hence the 1-year bridge schedule being voted in.

I'm just glad they didn't lock in 1-7-7 for 8 seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gatormarc said:

It really looks like we had 5 votes for 3-6-6; 5 votes for 1-7-7; and 4 schools that wouldn't commit to either yet, hence the 1-year bridge schedule being voted in.

I'm just glad they didn't lock in 1-7-7 for 8 seasons.

Need majority vote in June 2024. 5 this year + Texas + ou = 7 out of 16. Need 2 more. Bama and Saban will remain a no if he gets Lsu, Auburn, Tenn and Saban has some pull(somehow). Should be able to get 2 more yes next year to get to 9 yes votes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Cowardly YES, but it IS financially responsible to vote 8 game schedule right now bc they want espn/abc to pony up for those extra 8 games. If espn/abc said we will pay you $5mm/extra sec game, they vote yes today. Espn isnt willing to right now. 

When does the current SEC contract with ESPN expire?

I'm just surprised there's no renegotiation clause with UT and OU joining. We bring valuable inventory to the table. I know the SEC move is a long-term decision, but this sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

I'm just surprised there's no renegotiation clause with UT and OU joining. We bring valuable inventory to the table. I know the SEC move is a long-term decision, but this sucks.

Good question. I think, not sure, espn has a new sec deal from 2024 to 2034 but i dont think that includes Texas/Ou. Logically, IF thats true, espn has to up the deal. If it does include Tx/ou, thats that's bad on Sec part. 

4 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

There probably is and the negotiation is ongoing.

May not be a bad idea to separate the OU/UT negotiation with the 9 game negotiation.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Good question. I think, not sure, espn has a new sec deal from 2024 to 2034 but i dont think that includes Texas/Ou. Logically, IF thats true, espn has to up the deal. If it does include Tx/ou, thats that's bad on Sec part. 

The deal was announced December 2020, so before OU and UTx.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)