New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

so with only 8 conference games and only 3 currently scheduled non-conference games, we have an opening in 2024.  is it going to be against some dogshit sun belt team?

If by dogshit sun belt team you mean Tech then yes.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I thought it was just one rival that you play every year and that would be OU?  Idk shits stupid and confusing.  

They decided to not decide on 3-6-6 or 1-7-7.

This is a one year bridge schedule with 8 games. It sounds like they will have at least 2 rivalries protected.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

So the one rival will be OU right?  Maybe we can schedule a&m in a non conference game..  lol.   

24 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

a&m will be one of the other 7 for us.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are assuming that the "one rival" for a 2024 one-off bridge season schedule, means "one and only one rival."  

If there are no divisions, then they can slot absolutely anyone into those other 7 games.  For Texas I'd be very surprised if our 8-game conference schedule for 2024 doesn't include all 3 of OU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M.  I mean, it's not like any of the traditional SEC powers are going to be clamoring to play the ags or pigs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

This reeks of holding out for more TV money before making the jump to 9.  TV benefits from the additional eyes on that non-cupcake game, why shouldn't the SEC get their share?  The recent talk of a "short term" 8 conference game schedule screams "until someone pays us to do more."

Curb Your Enthusiasm Bingo GIF by Jason Clarke

My prediction:

OU (rival)

@ Aggy

@ LSU

@ South Carolina

Auburn

Arky

Alabama

Kentucky

They might sub Alabama for Florida or Tennessee since we will have just completed a home and home. Might throw Alabama to Oklahoma instead.

Just now, Foosters said:

I hope aggy gets the hardest schedule bc they will 100% blame it on Texas and Looch will tell everyone that he has it on good authority that Texas officials orchestrated the entire thing.

To be fair any schedule is going to be the hardest (for them) because they're fucking spare as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I'm not sure why people are assuming that the "one rival" for a 2024 one-off bridge season schedule, means "one and only one rival."  

If there are no divisions, then they can slot absolutely anyone into those other 7 games.  For Texas I'd be very surprised if our 8-game conference schedule for 2024 doesn't include all 3 of OU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M.  I mean, it's not like any of the traditional SEC powers are going to be clamoring to play the ags or pigs.

100%.

If those 3 schools aren't on UT's 2024 schedule, someone in Birmingham has fucked up royally.

The "temporary schedule" for 2024 will allow all the rivalries that matter to be preserved, while also sending a message to ESPN that there is a deal to be made to get to 9 games, but it's not going to happen for free.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TornACL said:

My prediction:

OU (rival)

@ Aggy

@ LSU

@ South Carolina

Auburn

Arky

Alabama

Kentucky

They might sub Alabama for Florida or Tennessee since we will have just completed a home and home. Might throw Alabama to Oklahoma instead.

To be fair any schedule is going to be the hardest (for them) because they're fucking spare as fuck.

My guess

2024 Texas:
vs Oklahoma (Texas is the away team)
at aggy, at LSU, at South Carolina
Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Mississippi St at DKR

2024 Oklahoma:
at Alabama, at Ole Miss, at Tennessee, at Vandy
Mizzou, Georgia, Kentucky at Gaylord
vs Texas (Oklahoma is the home team)

Because we’ll have an off balanced schedule with the Cotton Bowl, OU in home team in even years so they’ll only get 3 SEC home games while we get 4.

We owed LSU a return game, aggy/pig are likely our 9 game rivals so we play them. Just played at Arkansas so we get them at home, aggy is whiny bitch so that’s away, and we literally just played Alabama, and also faced Ole Miss semi recently so they’ll give them to OU.

Oklahoma had at 2023 home game with Georgia and a 2024 game at Tennessee cancelled so they’ll play those. They’ve also played aggy and Auburn more recently (in bowls) so those are Texas games and likely will be a rival with Mizzou and so they get them too.

That leaves Texas with Florida as the last top 8 opponent not assigned, Mississippi State (since OU got Ole Miss) and South Carolina since our schedule looks far weaker so OU gets Vandy/Kentucky.

Texas plays at Michigan (which we moved to facilitate this early release) and Oklahoma only has Tulane/Temple currently scheduled as out of conference so their logic to this balance.

5 hours ago, gatormarc said:

They decided to not decide on 3-6-6 or 1-7-7.

This is a one year bridge schedule with 8 games. It sounds like they will have at least 2 rivalries protected.

I doubt it will be a 1 year bridge schedule. They're going to do 2 years to allow for home and homes with the other 7 teams. At the earliest, I bet the 3-6, 9 game schedule begins in '26.

37 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I doubt it will be a 1 year bridge schedule. They're going to do 2 years to allow for home and homes with the other 7 teams. At the earliest, I bet the 3-6, 9 game schedule begins in '26.

I said home and homes but I mean allow the teams to see the other 7 they missed the first year. 

many of yall are super confident we will play aggie in 2024. hope so but i dont think we will. If, $ is the reason, they should not play that game in 24 and make networks pay for that one in 25. Iron bowl, egg bowl, RRR, UGA/Auburn, Lsu/Bama, UF/UGA will be played but they will keep a couple of games off the schedule to make networks want them. Texas/Aggie, Bama/Tenn, UF/LSU are all options of games not played in 24. 

hoping they change it to 9 in 25 but i do think itll be 2 years(so they can even it up(1-7-7), unless networks really pay up. 

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

'26 will bring a fight over going to a 7 game conference schedule. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, TornACL said:

That Michigan trip is going to be fucking epic. Still have never been there, on my short list of big time CFB venues left to experience.

Track down the business school bus they have a pretty good pregame party scene

University of Michigan MBAs gather around 'The Bus' before a football game

19 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Track down the business school bus they have a pretty good pregame party scene

University of Michigan MBAs gather around 'The Bus' before a football game

Tangential, but I went to a Michigan @ notre dame game and the guy that started, I think, Oppenheimer funds had a crazy spread with drinks and catering that included a fucking menu change halfway through.  I assume it was open to all due to the number of people there, but our host happened to be friends with the guy so that didn’t hurt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tangential, but I went to a Michigan @ notre dame game and the guy that started, I think, Oppenheimer funds had a crazy spread with drinks and catering that included a fucking menu change halfway through.  I assume it was open to all due to the number of people there, but our host happened to be friends with the guy so that didn’t hurt. 

Which Michigan @ ND game were you at?  I was there in 2006 when Mario Manningham drug his nuts all over the ND secondary.

The only other UM ND games I went to were in Ann Arbor but it was always a good time.

2007 good ole Jimmy Claussen came in a pitched a shutout
2009 ND let Tate Forcier score the winning TD with 11 seconds to go
2011 was the Denard Robinson 4th quarter special

The only games I've seen Notre Dame win were the 1995, 1996, & 2015 games vs Texas #fuck

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Which Michigan @ ND game were you at?  I was there in 2006 when Mario Manningham drug his nuts all over the ND secondary.

The only other UM ND games I went to were in Ann Arbor but it was always a good time.

2007 good ole Jimmy Claussen came in a pitched a shutout
2009 ND let Tate Forcier score the winning TD with 11 seconds to go
2011 was the Denard Robinson 4th quarter special

The only games I've seen Notre Dame win were the 1995, 1996, & 2015 games vs Texas #fuck

Don’t remember the year but it was the end of the annual series. 2014?  Nd won 30-0. Home team kicking ass made it a big party for a neutral observer. 

was also at the nd Texas game in 2015. Highlight of that weekend was spending Friday afternoon at Wrigley and the cubby bear afterwards. Also a home team win so most were in a good mood. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Don’t remember the year but it was the end of the annual series. 2014?  Nd won 30-0. Home team kicking ass made it a big party for a neutral observer. 

Yep it was 2014 when it was originally suspended then they played two games in 2018 & 2019 but not since.

Just had a Brady Hoke flashback hahaaha fuck that turd.

Edited by Pimphand

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)