Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

Beyond the L2 Lagrange point, the next sizeable body with the mass to allow the installation of an aggy coaster waypoint is very difficult to determine.  There are literally thousands of NEOs detected in the last 20 years that roam closer than the asteroid belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asteroid_close_approaches_to_Earth

7 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Next up, L2.

The Earth-Moon L2 point is about 33,000 miles beyond the far side of the Moon. Adding this to the average distance from the Earth to the Moon of about 239,000 miles gives a total distance of about 272,000 miles from Earth to the Earth-Moon Lagrange L2 point.

look at the big brain on Hagbard.

I think aggy is just weird, though I have hate for OU.  BUT...  how can aggy "kill off OU" or " do nothing to help them survive"?   A team that's been around for >120 years with 7 titles and another 10 unclaimed titles, and 47 conference titles?   

Sick-Of-It-All-The-Last-Act-Of-Defiance-

Alas, the Aggies believe they're the rattler. 

Edited by RomaVicta

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you could post in the 2nd person, rather than diss with the 3rd.  i'm 99% team CTJ / team Sydney, so you'll just have to live with me around supporting you.

Well, I wasn’t trying to rag on you. Just saying your posts go beyond my reach at times these days. 

Perroni VIP notes

Texas A&M has 22 commitments in the class of 2019 with very limited space left. Things could start to get interesting with a few players.

-Though Texas A&M does not have an official recruiting event this coming weekend, a lot of prospects will be in town anyway. There is a pool party that has been organized by players on the team with a number of commits and targets planning to be there.

You can bet that commits such as Bobby Wolfe and Erick Young will be in attendance. Marcus Stripling says he will be either there or at Alabama's barbecue this weekend. With it already being Monday and him not sure of which school, the trip that is much easier to make seems likely for the four-star defensive end from Katy Mayde Creek.

Stripling has long said he plans to take all of his official visits and announce on Signing Day, or at least close to Signing Day, but I still do not believe he will wait nearly that long. He has seen a number of his good friends commit to the Aggies and spots are also at a premium. I believe the 6-foot-2.5, 260-pound defender will make a decision before the end of the summer and it would be very surprising if it were not A&M.

As for this weekend's event, we will have more on the attendees throughout the week.

-Speaking of the Alabama barbecue, there will be an interesting name in attendance in Tuscaloosa.

Baton Rouge (La.) U-High linebacker Christian Harris is planning to make the trip. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound four-star prospect was once thought to be a heavy lean to the Tide before a recent unofficial visit to Aggieland. Alabama also did not seemingly have the room. However, with Harris receiving the invite and making the trip, it is an interesting development on both fronts.

I still have my Crystal Ball for A&M and I believe he will be an Aggie, but I will definitely be keeping my eye on the situation over the weekend.

-Things with Mansfield Legacy four-star cornerback Jeffery Carter are never easy to figure out. Again, I have my Crystal Ball for A&M and he has seemingly been very close to committing for some time, but there is a lot of optimism in the Oklahoma camp with him at the moment.

As of now, Carter is expected to be in Norman this weekend for the Sooners' big recruiting event. He was once a very early Oklahoma pledge and the staff looks to have circled back to him.

The one consistent throughout Carter's recruitment has been A&M. He has almost committed several times to several programs, but the Aggies have always been in the picture. They are the only ones where that has been the case. However, he is still a wild card and nothing with him would be too surprising.

Oklahoma has passed Alabama as the other team that is in contention with A&M for Carter, though, so that situation this weekend will be one to watch as well.

-I think it is a bit of a longshot but the current A&M commits have been working on four-star cornerback Devin Bush out of New Orleans Edna Karr quite a bit.

The nation's No. 154 overall prospect has said he likes the Aggies, though, so it is a situation at least worth monitoring. Quite a few Crystal Ball predictions have come in for Tennessee as of late for the 6-foot, 190-pound defender and the Vols are definitely in good shape there.

-A&M really needs one of the relatively similar players of David Ugwoegbu or Adisa Isaac. My Crystal Ball has long been on A&M for the former.

The Katy Seven Lakes defensive end/linebacker is very high on the Aggies but also likes Alabama. However, with him not being on the visitor list for the Tide this coming weekend and not having camped in Tuscaloosa over the summer, there may not be a spot for him there.

The 6-foot-4.5, 225-pound hybrid defender has pretty much only been to A&M throughout the process. It would not be too surprising to see the Aggies try and put some pressure on him.

-If you are looking for a candidate to be the next commitment in the class of 2020, five-star cornerback Dwight McGlothern is as good a bet as any. McGlothern was in Aggieland over the weekend hanging out with current players. This is much like Stripling a year ago, where he makes it to town seemingly any chance he can get.

Formerly at New Caney, the nation's No. 28 overall prospect will suit for Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill this fall.

Hahahaha

Baton Rouge (La.) U-High linebacker Christian Harris is planning to make the trip. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound four-star prospect was once thought to be a heavy lean to the Tide before a recent unofficial visit to Aggieland. Alabama also did not seemingly have the room. However, with Harris receiving the invite and making the trip, it is an interesting development on both fronts.

"Aggieland just blew him away! Head-to-head win! Also Alabama is recruiting better players"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hahahaha

"Aggieland just blew him away! Head-to-head win! Also Alabama is recruiting better players"

Yeah, Perroni love to throw around the "Alabama lean", "once high on Alabama" type descriptions before alluding to ... he would still go there in a heartbeat but Alabama already has better players committed so ... "somethings changed", "A&M jumping to the top of his list"

3 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I like how aggy has been the 'one consistent' for Carter, even though OU insiders like their chances and he was actually committed to the thieves at one point. I would say OU has as much, if not more, claim to the 'one consistent' spot at this point.

Yeah well just look at how many times he has almost committed to aggy throughout the process.

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Corrnerback Dwight McGlothern is as good a bet as any. McGlothern was in Aggieland over the weekend hanging out with current players. This is much like Stripling a year ago, where he makes it to town seemingly any chance he can get.

Wait a second, since when did this guy become an aTm lean?

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Another OUsucks pick for Carter.  From an OU mod that just recently left the brainiacs.

It would be really nice if these recruits could get "SEC Ready" certified earlier in the cycle. We waste so much time trying to figure it out only be told the truth on the day the player commits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, txhorns said:

Yeah well just look at how many times he has almost committed to aggy throughout the process.

I have it on good authority from persons close to the recruitment that he almost committed to aggy twice earlier today-- WAIT! This just in, he has almost committed to the Aggies for a third time today just now while having a Whopper at the Burger King. Keep an eye on this one!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I have it on good authority from persons close to the recruitment that he almost committed to aggy twice earlier today-- WAIT! This just in, he has almost committed to the Aggies for a third time today just now while having a Whopper at the Burger King. Keep an eye on this one!

No shit, that is what I love about these updates the most. The number of times these kids nearly pull the trigger to aggy.

Because the offseason is boring. 

Spoiler

Liucci

9:27p

Staff

AG

Quote:

What does A&M need to do on the field to maintain recruiting momentum?

I think anything short of a very disappointing season and Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies keep up their current roll on the recruiting front. Win 9 games or more (including a bowl) and it goes up a few more notches, which it should anyway as Fisher and his staff begin dealing with a 2020 class that they will have essentially gotten in on from the start of their recruitments. Look at it this way: Tom Herman and Texas went 6-6 and dealt with Jimbo's arrival and Lincoln Riley's breakout first year and haven't slipped much (especially if you count how they've done out west because they have lost a few noteworthy battles in state). Sure, he has Austin and the tradition of Texas but outside of that, doesn't have half the cache that Fisher has with recruits around the country. I only see A&M trending upward with at least a bowl season in 2018. Too wordy for the group who thinks I'm not succinct enough?

Quote:

Record projection and why?

I'm currently sitting at 8-4 with a win over LSU to end the season and a bowl victory to reach 9-4. I don't think 7-5 is out of the question either but think they'll figure things out as the season goes along. Brutal schedule especially on the road - and give this group a season to get their guys in and we'll see a big jump. I'm saying 9, 10 and then 11 wins or more for this bunch over the next three seasons (including the bowl).

Quote:

Have you stopped laughing/shaking your head at the "some" response yet? I know I haven't.

I just don't know what he was thinking at that moment. Apparently, nothing. Who knows, maybe he was on some Hermensa stuff and just decided not to confuse the inferior media members in attendance with his answer. Seriously though, not a good couple of days for the Hermanator. Like I've said, if things go south over there at any point, his personality doesn't seem equipped to handle it very well.

Quote:

Do you think there is more talent on defense than offense for 2018?

Tough question but a good one. I believe that all depends on how well the offensive line performs. My quick answer would be yes but I think the defense is better at the top but that the offense has more talent across-the-board. My sources seemed to come out of spring feeling pleasantly surprised with what they saw at wide receiver and along the OL, Trayveon was among the most improved from start to finish and the tight ends should make for a pretty dynamic 1-2 punch. It's close but I'm going offense, which might surprise some. Hell, it kind of surprised me. The wildcards who could change that with strong Augusts are Dono Wilson, Buddy Johnson, Daylon Mack, Mohammed Diallo, Clifford Chattman, Debione Renfro and Bobby Brown.

Quote:

It's off season I think, was Joe's Stone crabs open?

Yes, it was. We ate there on Saturday and it lived up to the hype. I'd been to the one in Vegas before but had to check out the original.

Quote:

The one potential uncommitted recruit class of 19 that you would like to sign more than any other? A guy on A&M's radar whether realistic or longshot. Who would you choose? Nakobe DeanIshmael Sopsher? Someone else?

More realistic I'd go with Christian Harris. I just think the dude is going to be a flat-out baller. I also think if you asked Jimbo that question guys like David Ugwoegbu and Jalen Wydermyer would rate a lot higher on the priority list than some of you a little consumed with the star rankings seem to believe. As far as the longer shots go, I'd say a dream prospect on the radar would be Ish Sopsher, Adisa Isaac or the DE Bogel out of Miami. I'll go with Bogel. Think he's a game-changer and a true edge guy, which the Ags need pretty badly.

Quote:

How glad are you to have a coach that preaches being physical? To me, that was one of the biggest problems of the Sumlin Era. We were soft. 

I absolutely love it. And I think it's really going to pay off in this league and on both sides of the ball due to the way they practice day after day. Don't discount Schmidt's impact on the way this team is going to play either. He's in there setting the mental tone daily and it's already begun to take. This is going to be a VERY tough group of players in fairly short order. Fisher won't have it any other way. As for the spread and 'Sumlin style,' I think it was actually exactly what the Aggies needed coming into the league and allowed them to shake things up in the west behind a player who could absolutely thrive in it. It also took advantage of the offensive weapons on campus, was able to work because of a great o-line and was Nick Saban's kryptonite (still is to some degree but you have to have a great QB to really get to them). However, and as Hunter told us while banging on the desk, it just wasn't a sustainable method of attack in the West.

Quote:

Thoughts on where Adisa Isaac is leaning?

The Aggies are battling here but I've felt for a while that he's leaning towards Penn State.

Quote:

Do you think Deneric Prince has much of a shot at RB? I watched the state championship game last year and he hardly got any touches in that game.

He'll be an interesting one to watch because he was definitely part of a rotation at Manvel and didn't necessary enjoy a monster senior season. He's very talented and has the skill set to emerge as a pleasant surprise, a la Ben Malena, however. Give him a year in the weight room and the opportunity. Crowded group of contenders though.

Quote:

What year into Herman's tenure do you think the wheels truly come off? Are we already seeing it? stress fractures so to speak?

I think you saw that last year and, yes, at times throughout the off-season. I think it goes one way or the other this fall. If the Horns lose five games or more, I think the wheels fall offespecially if A&M can get around 8. If Texas takes advantage of the fact that there will be so much QB turnover on their schedule this year and wins 10, then they won't be 'back' but Herman is recruiting better talent the past two cycles then he's had on campus so he'll be able to be as hard on his players as he wants and be the control freak he has to be and the guys will accept it because they'll be convinced that it works.

Quote:

What are reasonable expectations for Diallo and Peevy this year? Any possibility that these guys end up playing a bigger role than we anticipate?

I think both will play bigger roles than man expect, actually. Peevy is pretty versatile and if he's healthy (which he is), I think he might really turns heads as a sophomore. Diallo is kind of a wild card in year one out of JUCO but physically, he's as impressive as anyone the Aggies have.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these sessions. How many spots are left in 2019 class? Does Gharda (sp) have committable offer? 

I'd have a hard time seeing David Gbenda end up an Aggie at this point. Think he may have waited too long like a couple of other early offers have. He might be facing the same situation at Texas but these things do tend to come back around from time to time so the Aggies need to continue to recruit the Houston-area LB. He's just a little undersized is all. I think TCU might be the play here. How many spots left? Probably no more than five if all the current verbals hold.

Quote:

Did you meet Gloria Estefan?

No Miami Sound Machine for me.

Quote:

Did you break out your Miami Vice white jacket?

I wish. Wasn't thinking ahead enough to rock the pastel t shirt and white Miami Vice jacket or I damn sure would've. Best I could do is white pants and a navy blue linen short sleeved button up. You're an 80s kid like me, aren't you?

Quote:

With Santino being gone, do you anticipate any players cross training or making the move to LB full time, like an Aaron Hansford?

Really need to ask about Hansford. He was injured in the spring and I just haven't heard his name much yet this summer. I think the biggest move along those lines was spinning Okeke down during the spring. He looked like he had a chance there and will be someone to keep an eye on in August. As far as converting guys to LB, I haven't heard anything specific but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't happen, assuming the guys they have are healthy. 

Quote:

Do you anticipate we do OL rotations this year like we did last year? Wasn't sure if that was a Sumlin thing or a JT thing.

Definitely wasn't a Sumlin thing but I also think it was a JT thing out of sheer desperation with how poorly the starting five were playing. Not sure if going with an entire reserve unit was designed to motivate the starters or to develop depth because he knew Green and Moore and Hocker would eventually start. The latter would be my guess but, no, I don't expect we'll see a repeat this fall.

Quote:

Thoughts on Special Teams this year? We bring back our place kicker and Mann returns to handle kickoffs and take over Punting. Who steps up in the return game for us this season?

No clue who steps up in the return game and I think that one ranks pretty high on the list of staff concerns heading into fall camp. Could be an interesting battle at punter with Seth Small coming in from Katy, as well.

Quote:

How would you rank the performances of the new SEC coaches at media days (including Mullen)? Are you a Godzilla fan and if so, what do you think of the new trailer?

Ohhhh, I haven't seen the new Godzilla trailer but loved it as a kid. A couple of week ago I stumbled upon some sort of old-school Godzilla marathon on something like Sci-Fi and couldn't stop watching them. They were so damned bad that they're good, right? New coaches based on how they did at Media Days? HmmmI'll go Jimbo as a no-brainer at the top followed by (in order) Moorehead, Mullen, Pruitt and, bringing up the rear, Morris.

Quote:

What about OU. Do you think year one under Riley was due to a generational player in Mayfield, or do you think he ultimately settles in as a slightly above average head coach? 

That reads like an "I'll tell you how to answer because I'm not giving you a secondary option" kind of question! But I tend to agree. I think he's going to pan out better than average because he's smart, innovative and, because he inherited the best player in the college game (who he played as big a role in developing as anyone so he gets the credit here) and took full advantage, he's recruiting like a man possessed. That will carry him a few years in the Big 12 and OU will keep winning a lot of games. I think he's very good but I'm not going to say I see him being elite, long-term. Kind of a Gus Malzahn type as he levels off. He's good. Definitely better than average.

Quote:

Defensive and or Offensive group that u think will surprise this season? Thanks.

Defense: Maybe defensive end as the season progresses and guys like Clemmons, Brown, Martin and maybe one other begin to hit their stride. Offense: I'm going to say the o-line. Think if they can stay healthy, Turner will have a solid starting five with some experience and that the unit begins to flourish in a new, more lineman-friendly system. For those who don't follow Aggie football as closely, they'll be surprised by tight end play.

Quote:

Let's say we have only a few spots remaining by the end of August and we have a 2012 type season. I would assume as a result of big on field success we would be in play for a number of elite prospects. How would Jimbo manage only having a couple spot and the desire to pull in as many elite recruits as possible? He wouldn't give a stiff arm to any of our current commits, would he? Thanks for doing these Q&A's.

No, they wouldn't. First off, they simply won't have many scholarships to give and we can all see that coming from a mile away. What I could actually see happening, however, is that the guys down near the 'bottom' of the list would probably be wise to not take any visits or be anything but rock solid. That's simply holding up their own end of the bargain, in which case I expect the Ags would do the same. I think if anyone leaves in terms of the 'lesser-ranked' guys, it will be because they're worried about Fisher and Co. stocking up at their particular position.

Quote:

What's your thoughts on defending Travis Etienne in the Clemson game? Physical and a burner in his highlights.

My thoughts are the dude is a total stud and I would have loved to have seen him or Oklahoma's Rodney Anderson in Maroon & White. Two former Aggie commitments so it's a big frustrating. Etienne is going to be tough to deal with the next two years but the key is going to be gang tackling and being very physical with him.

Quote:

Any chance we move a running back to linebacker? If not, how do we adjust to lack of depth at the position group this year?

Not sure if it happens right out of the chute because they really want to see who can emerge in the backfield as a power, between-the-tackles option. Long term, however, I definitely feel like both Vernon Jackson and Charles Strong have the frame and ability.

Quote:

Who makes the playoff this year? Any dark horse playoff candidates you like?

I'll say Bama, Clemson (yeah, those two September foes), Wisconsin and either Georgia or Washington. I think the Big 12 cannibalizes itself this year because there won't be a dominant team and gets left out. Maybe Stanford as a dark horse? I just think the PAC-12 will really stink this year and either the Huskies or Cardinal could have a chance to run the table and sneak in. I picked Washington to challenge Georgia for that spot because they have a shot to knock off Auburn in week one and really make a statement.

Quote:

Who will be the 2019 version of Landis Durham?

I don't think we see guys emerge like that every year. Here or anywhere else, really. But if you're asking me who could be a breakout performer for the Ags in 2018 from the veteran ranks who hasn't done much to date, I'll go with Clifford Chattman or Kendrick Rodgers. Of course, if it needs to be totally out of left field (which usually doesn't happen, mind you) what about Hez Jones? 

Quote:

Can he live up to last year's performance?

I'm not sure if Landon will be able to top his shocking SEC-leading sack total this year because Chavis' system was so DE-friendly in terms of his guys just cutting loose and crashing off the edge but Landis' sacks were definitely earned in that he had to beat a lot of SEC tackles en route to the QB and didn't pad his stats against lesser guys. Makes you wonder what Myles could have done had he not spent about 30% of his snaps inside (or so it seemed) and been healthy as a junior. Getting back to Durham, what I do think is that he can be a better all-around player as a senior, including being more effective against the run after an off-season with Jerry Schmidt plus a season's worth of starting experience. He'll be bigger and stronger, that's for sure. I think he'll be a 'wow' guy when the media sees him at the start of fall camp.

Quote:

Predict the future of football in light of the CTE stuff and declining participation numbers across the country. 

Well without going all Larry Fedora on you guys, I do see what he was saying in terms of his concern for where things are heading. I've just talked to so many people over the last few years who say they won't let their sons play football that it's a little alarming in terms of wondering where it's all heading. What's going to be interesting is to see over the next few years how many of the parents who feel that way when their children are younger will still say no when the day comes that little Johnny decides he wants to go out for the 7th or 9th grade team. That's going to be the test. I think the game survives on the interest front but what I think we'll see is significant changes on down the line in terms of things like doing away with kickoffs and equipment and perhaps even hitting the quarterback, things like that. I know it sounds insane but these are all things that will be discussed and, in some instances, are already.

Quote:

Favorite hangover meal?

Usually Mexican food does the trick for me. Especially enchiladas. Do you have any recommendations because I kind of need them now and this flight is a little bumpy, which isn't helping matters any?

Quote:

Follow-up Q: Did the rhythm get you?

Nope. The words got in the way but I did hear some El Debarge last night ('Rhythm of the night') so I'm all good.

Quote:

Sumlin spent years stockpiling talent but not fully developing it. Now that Jimbo is here with decent talent in-place, why do pundits act so coy about our upside this year?

First of all, I think you have to factor in a new coach and two entirely different systems on offense and defense. That typically stunts the development temporarily. And you said it best. "With decent talent in place." It's still nowhere near overwhelming and I don't think Fisher is working with any more and in some instances less than anyone on this year's SEC schedule save Arkansas and Kentucky. They need to upgrade in several areas and I think the '18 and '19 classes plus so many returning for 'year two' under the new regime is why you see this thing really take a giant step towards emerging as a power in 2019.

Quote:

It seems like this team "could" develop a chip on their shoulder similar to what the 2012 team had when everyone thought they were going to get rolled in their first year in the SEC. Do you get any sense of that "underdog" mentality from the players and staff?

I agree with that and think Sumlin and Kingsbury did a tremendous job of instilling that mindset into a veteran group in 2012. They also knew they had the perfect guys leading that charge in cats like Johnny, Mike and Jake plus guys like Malena, Porter and Swope. For this group, I think Jimbo is focusing much more on making these guys tougher mentally and physically than he's preaching the 'they don't think you can do it' mantra. Toughness and he's really hammering them on actually believing they're going to win every time they take the field. Expecting it, not simply hoping or wanting to.

Quote:

Will we see more improvement in our run or pass defense this year? How do you think Elko feels about our secondary so far?

I like the Ags being able to stop the run a lot better this year, actually. As far as the secondary goes, I get the feeling that Elko is really excited to see how much better things start to look when Donovan Wilson is all the way back from his 2017 injury (as he's looked this summer), when Renfro and O'Neal are added to the mix and how the returning guys (particularly Chattman and Tucker) look in the fall after getting acclimated to the new system during spring ball. Chattman is one of those guys who is really creating summertime buzz and he looks better than he did this spring when maybe he was thinking a little more than playing.

Quote:

Best hole in the wall food spot I should try in B/CS?

There are so many that I feel like I'd be leaving some out. A lot of really good Mexican and Italian joints and some outstanding burgers. PM me and I'll send you a list.

Quote:

Can you discuss your thoughts on media day and just overall day-to-day performance leading their respective programs between Jimbo and Herman?

Is there even anything to discuss? Joking aside, I think you saw what a polished, experienced head coach used to presiding over a college football power program looks like versus one who has been a boss for three years with only one coming at the P5 level. Makes you wonder how that contrast looks on the recruiting trail, as well, doesn't it?

Quote:

Do you play fantasy football?

I did it one year and it was waaaaay too much of a Sunday distraction for me. Can't be watching too much NFL and following every single thing that happens. I wish I could handle it but I can't!

Quote:

Who's the most underrated of the incoming freshman?

It might be Caleb Chapman. He's been turning heads this summer during workouts and voluntary sessions.

Quote:

Which current 2019 commit on Offense & Defense will have the biggest first year impact?

First year impact, huh? Hmmmif I were forced to pick just one on each side, I'll go with Baylor Cupp on offense with a slight nod over Kenyon Green (I'm just 100% convinced that Cupp plays a ton of tight end as a true freshman and immediately impacts the passing game alongside Jace Sternberger) and, on defense, it might be too tough to answer. DeMarvin LealErick Young Young or Bobby Wolfe? Williams or Richardson? I will give you this name though as a very underrated commit who keeps flying under the radar a bit but who could be a day one type of guy  Braedon Mowry.

Quote:

What will be Jimbo's WAR (I know it's a baseball term)? As in with the same talent but different coach, how many games does he alone push us over the top...

Not sure about this year and that's tough to compare because he'll add his own talent with each passing class. As far as year-in, year-out? I think this program goes from average 8 wins in five years from '13-'17 to averaging 10-plus from '19-'23 (the five-year window after this one).

Quote:

How many of our commits will sign in December? Out of those how many are early enrollees?

Trying to track that down specifically but it's hard because a lot of kids haven't decided yet. 

Quote:

What's your favorite hobby/bar type sport to play (i.e. darts, bowling, pool, shuffleboard, etc.)?

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not very good at any of the 'bar games' but can hold my own at air hockey, shuffleboard and pop-a-shot). I don't suck at darts, either, which may come as a surprise to some. My favorite is bowling thougheven though I'm not good. Usually around 130-140 and rarely higher than that. I have days when I'm worse but rarely am I better.

Quote:

With Santino transferring out and no true LBs from the 2018 recruiting class, do you anticipate either Braden White or McGee (the other walk-on) stepping into the rotation?

Yeah, I could see that but not to the degree we've seen it in the past (as long as the 'first four' stay healthy.

Quote:

I just started following recruiting on twitter. Who do you think are the most obnoxious college fans on twitter? Twitter makes college message boards look tame. It's a crazy world of delusion.

My top three: 1 Arkansas 2 OU 3 Nebraska. Something about that part of the country, I guess. Maybe something to do with one pro sports team (OKC Thunder) in those three states combined? 

Quote:

If you actually had "magic fairy dust" which defensive and offensive (excluding QB) player would you sprinkle it on to for the biggest impact this season? 

Either one of the freshmen defensive ends not named Bobby Brown (because I don't think we need fairy dust for him to make an immediate impact) or Clifford Chattman on defense and Dan Moore on offense.

Quote:

Two parter: Could you 'talk about' trying to share an Uber Chevy Chevette with R Cessna at ATL, and the great 'Napkin on the Floor' incident at Waffle House at #SECMEDIA2018.

Well, we gave it the old college try Z but there was a moment of late-night panic there by our friend Cease and the next thing we knew the Uber was zipping off to downtown Atlanta without us. As for the 'Napkin Incident,' let's just say timing is everything and sometimes it doesn't work out as well as you'd hope.

Quote:

Will we renew the contract with JerryWorld and Arky or opt for a home and home with them at some point? When does that contract expire?

I'll have to check on both counts. I lean towards thinking the Ags would try and opt for a home and home but I honestly haven't asked to be sure about that one. Jerry loves it, which will make it hard for Arkansas to opt out.

Quote:

Ever been to India?

No. It's not quite as high on my list of places I want to see in that part of the world because I'd like to ease in by tackling Europe first. Italy and Greece are currently 1-2 though I feel like I'll be lured to London first, probably sometime right after the season.

Quote:

Reason Santino moved on, timing seems odd?

See somewhere else in the thread but it definitely seemed odd.

Quote:

Ultimately, what is it going to take from Jimbo and Co. to break the North Shore curse and pull Zach Evans to Texas A&M?

This is going to be a wide-open recruitment but it's still going to take an awful lot to break the dry spell at the Houston-area power. They've now got some real 'ins' at the school and Jimbo is going to make it a point to break through and I think personally handle a ton of Evans' recruitment. Also, Jay Graham has a couple of five-star skins on the wall while at FSU so don't count out his ability to pull off the coup of all coups. That said, getting Evans in Maroon & White is going to be as tough a task facing Fisher and the Ags as perhaps any Texas player he's had to battle for thus far. It's doable, however, but may require a breakthrough win or two this fall.

Quote:

Follow up: we're up to 22 commits in 2019 with a few more who might jump in before the end of the summer. With most of the class committed, so long as everyone stays solid, how much of an advantage does that give us for 2020 recruiting?

A tremendous advantage. Between that and a quick head start in the trenches, the Ags could REALLY knock it out of the park in 2020we're talking going from a top-5 haul in '19 to something that competes for the top overall spot with programs like UGA and Alabama in year two. Just climbing the SEC ladder and it sure feels like they're skipping steps along the way.

Quote:

Did you hit up Prime 112? One of my favorite Miami spots, been going there since '04.

Love it and wish we would've gone but we only had two nights there and went to STK because of a connection with the guy who runs it and then Joe's because she wanted stone crab in the worst way (Jorts, keep your mouth shutI know where your head is at, creep).

Quote:

If we can win one upset this season, who would you want it to be against? 

Clemson. I thought about this one and it's tough because of what beating Bama for the second time in Tuscaloosa would mean in terms of the big picture and potential for an eventual rivalry like the one we saw between the Tide and LSU prior to A&M joining the SEC but I just think beating Clemson at Kyle Field at night in week two would be absolutely magical and the impact it would have on those in attendance recruits from around the country and most of your top '19, '20 and even '21 targets would be profound. It would be the springboard for the Aggies CONSISTENTLY fielding teams capable of beating the Tide moving forward.
but I'd happily take either.

Quote:

Now that they've been here for a little while and generated some buzz, name two freshman (1 offense, 1 defense) that have the biggest impacts this year.

Brown on defense and Preston on offense. That hasn't changed for me.

Quote:

In Lindy's SEC mag, there is a section in every team profile called opposing coach's view. Whoever assessed the Ags was complimentary of Jimbo and the offense but very dismissive of Elko at Notre Dame and made the statement that our "defense sucked" in the spring game. Do you believe any SEC coach would actually say that? If so, why?

If he said that, he doesn't know a damned thing about quality defense. Take a look at Wake's progress and what Notre Dame did in year one under him and then consider what he was working with and who he was doing it against. Then factor in what literally everyone else in the profession is saying and you have a formula that spits out one result: Grade A dumbass assistant who probably was one of the few stupid enough to pop off to a pre-season magazine even if it is anonymous. And exactly how smart is a coach who thinks it's worth reading anything into a spring game after a head coach or coordinator's first fifteen practices at a school?

Quote:

Which year one will have the biggest impact on the football program, Coach Sumlin's 2012 season or Coach Fisher's 2018 season?

I don't think that's an apples to apples comparison but if you're asking me if the Aggies are going to win 11 games this year, win a New Year's Six bowl by four TDs, beat Alabama in T-Town and produce the Heisman Trophy winner, my answer would be no. However, if you ask me about the next five years, I think Fisher will help take the program to previous unreached heights.

Quote:

What makes Alaka a better fit at Mike and Dodson a better fit at Will? It seems backwards to me.

Dodson is a little faster and quicker. He runs better. Alaka plays better moving forward and understands the position due to his extensive experience (not that Dodson doesn't, but Otaro's ability to play both is what's allowing Elko to see what works best).

Quote:

Favorite SEC stadium you've been to so far to watch A&M?

Alabama hands down No. 1 with the Swamp coming in second.

Quote:

Favorite spot to hang out in NOLA?

I'm starting to really like the area around Tulane. Try it if you haven't already.

Quote:

After hearing Stidham say that A&M didn't really recruit him and former IMG linebacker Marchiol leaving the team, do you think it was a mistake not to seriously pursue Stidham in order to solidify that recruiting class?

It had more to do with Mond, Ausbon and Hez Jones than anything to do with Santino. However, I think the real discussion is whether or not Sumlin and staff would have made it through last year with Stidham as the starter and how much of a difference he makes on the SEC landscape if he's in CS right now and Mond is at Auburn. So many 'what ifs' I don't think it's worth the time of rehashing. You could literally spend all day going to the various 'Choose your own adventure' paths here. I think the one thing we know is that Auburn sure as hell wouldn't have had the season they did last year and the Ags probably getting a game or two more with an experienced signal-caller. Then again, what if Stidham starts last year, you don't get Mond, and he breaks his lower leg against UCLA. See what I did there?

Quote:

After seeing the way Jimbo operates and his approach to recruiting, how would you describe the core differences between Sumlin's recruiting philosophy and Jimbo's? Are there substantive differences or does it just appear that Jimbo's more effective at it?

I'll keep it simple: Kevin Sumlin is a very good recruiter. Jimbo Fisher is one of the truly elite when it comes to this phase of the job. That and his contacts and ties in the profession allowed him to put together a staff full of elite recruiters, including two of the three best from Sumlin's staff in Aggieland. The thing that stands out about Jimbo (as compared to everyone and not just the previous head coach) is the level of organization and accountability that he brings to the recruiting process. It's impressive to watch and learn about, that's for sure.

Quote:

Since we are still in it for players like Isaac, Khris Bogle, Dean, Sopsher, Jaquaze Sorrells, DU, Wydermeyer, Wright, Higgins, Carter, and Marcus Stripling, is it possible that some players in this class won't have a ship anymore or might be asked to grey shirt?

This is a popular question these days now that the spots are filling up. I think if anyone leaves the class on the back end of it, so to speak, it will be because they're seeing a better opportunity for early playing time somewhere else or if their position starts to feel too crowded for their personal comfort level. It's not out of the question.

Quote:

Which QB fits what Jimbo wants from QB in all the QB's he's got coming? 

I really don't think there's a specific prototype for him if you look at the collection of guys he's started and developed into NFL signal-callers. He can make it work with any of the guys on campus or committed, it's just a matter of who wins the job.

Quote:

Who calls offensive plays this year?

Jimbo Fisher.

Quote:

Is it my imagination or are we seeing less recruiting targets for the Ags being mentioned as trying to decide between us and schools like Baylor and Tech, while more t-sip recruiting updates seem to include those schools as other places their recruits might go?!

I don't think that's your imagination at all. Look at the DE position and how they're recruiting it for proof. Didn't get Leal when they thought they had him and lost out to A&M for Mowry. They won't get Stripling or David Ugwoegbu, either and are instead going on guys like Peter Mpagi and Taurean Carter.

Quote:

Your thoughts on AAS Fab 55 ranking Johnson over Green.

Typical. Johnson is a very good prospect but to rank him ahead of Green is pure, unadulterated bias. The spin doctors are already hard at work at hyping a couple of 2020 OLs they think they're getting. Brauny, Howell and I typically get a good laugh out of it because you can see it coming a mile away. Laughably transparent. There you go, use that one as a tweet Gooseneck.

Quote:

Your thoughts on how well Scott Woodward is killing it here in Aggieland with all these awesome hires?

He's the man who hired Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State to Texas A&M and who convinced Chris Petersen to leave Boise for Washington when USC or UCLA couldn't get it done. What more needs to be said? He's patient and likes to have runway to make the best hire he can possibly makealways remember that if you're feeling impatient because you're not hearing enough chatter.

Quote:

You're on a desert island all alone and you can only bring 3 things with you, what do you bring?

A girl, my dog and TexAgs. Duh.

Quote:

Which one of the following is going to improve the play of the OL this year- different blocking scheme or an additional year of experience?

Both. Why can't it be both? Because both should help.

Quote:

A&M and other schools in our area run a spread of offense largely because Texas doesn't produce the athletes to win a grudge match against schools from LA, AL, GA, FL. We are now reverting back to a more traditional offense. I know we won't spread 'em out like Mazzone and Sumlin. Whose offense other than Florida State's can we expect to be the most similar to?

I'm not sure how to answer that one. Maybe Alabama, not so much in terms of scheme but use of the tight end, power running game and a lot of three wide with physical blockers on the edge at receiver. It's just tough to tell how much if any Fisher will change things up or tinker with new ideas with a more spread-based guy like Dickey on staff. We'll know a lot more this fall.

Quote:

How would you define success in the Clemson game?

Winning. If not that, then playing the Tigers into the fourth quarter and have all of the recruits in attendance and the entire college football world wondering if the Aggies can pull it off in Fisher's second game on the A&M sidelines. Keeping Kyle Field electric from start to finish would be a huge win for the Ags in terms of recruiting momentum.

Quote:

Why are animated cartoons and fantasy movies so much better at making sequels than serious adult movies living up to their original, like Jaws, Rocky, Godfather, Sicario?

That's a such a damned good question and I agree with you in light of how we saw Sicario fall off. I liked the original a lot and thought the sequel was solid but nothing special. By the way, let's not compare Jaws, Rocky and The Godfather to Sicario though. Replace Sicario with Karate Kid and you've got a more consistent point haha

Quote:

Considering our LB depth and his spring production, why would Marchiol leave the program this summer?

Pretty curious decision but he was a Mazzone recruit to A&M, was very good friends with Congel dating back to their days as high school players in Colorado and was a Sumlin recruit. He didn't have any sort of breakout spring or anything like that but he had a chance to contribute. The key for him at A&M, Arizona or anywhere will be staying healthy.

Quote:

V Jackson lost weight before arriving showing his attention towards his status. Do you see him as 1 of the 2 fish RB's getting playing time, the big power back? or any chance they look at him for another position? How has he done this summer? Thanks!

He's been pretty impressive this summer, but so have Strong and Corbin. Will be a very fun battle to watch in fall camp as these guys jockey for carries and playing time. See around the thread for some other insight into the Aggie backfield and possible scenarios.

Quote:

Trayveon no doubt lost a step last year due to injury. Do you see him returning to form this year and who gets the lion's share of carries behind him? Bussey/Kibodi or one of the new guys?

Bussey is no longer with the team and I actually think it's going to be one of the new guys Strong, Corbin or Jackson. And, yes, I not only see Trayveon returning to form, I see him emerging as one of the SEC's breakout stars this fall.

Quote:

How safe are we with Scott Woodard going home to LSU? LSU alum shared info I promised not to post that suggests he is looking that way.

Here's the thing: Those rumors are going to persist as long as Alleva is a dead man walking there and loathed by most of that fan base. It's even worse now that Jimbo Fisher is coaching at a division rival and that an LSU alum and former Tiger staffer hired him. I know what the folks in Louisiana are saying, but I just think the fact that taking on the challenge in Baton Rouge right now is a pretty damned daunting task because of the lack of funds and the climate over there plus the fact that Scott has his dream coach in Aggieland and is also building his dream home makes it tough to envision him leaving. He really does love it at A&M.

Quote:

Who are our starters at cornerback?

Pretty tough question at this point but my guesses will be Chattman and Renfro. Oliver will obviously have a big say in that and the potential 'Landis Durham-style' surprise would be someone like Travon Fuller. I'll stick with the first two, however.

Quote:

Starkle has been saying he is on Jimbo for black uniforms. I know you got that scoop on the unis!

I never reveal anything uniform-related. My boys on the equipment staff get pretty protective on that stuff but I will say they always come up with something good in the throwback department and then in terms of an alternate uni.

Quote:

Is Bobby Brown the next Ty Warren?

Not a bad comparison at all. They're similar in terms of size and talent level, that's for sure. Give Bobby some time to come into his own and adjust to the college game and I think he has all the makings of a first-round, All-SEC defensive lineman who can move around the front at over 300 pounds. He'll make an impact this year, much like Warren did as a true freshman on a talented defense nearly 20 years ago (yikes).

Quote:

Which game do we win that no one really expects and why? If no one specific, at which point in the season do you think we become a concern for other teams that are favored?

First off, I'll say it now that the Ags take out Clemson, Bama or Georgia next year and that will be their first true 'breakout' win of the Fisher Era. For this year, I think it could be Auburn and I'm not even just going off of the whole 'road team wins' thing.

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Because the offseason is boring. 

Liucci

9:27p

Staff

Quote:

Can you discuss your thoughts on media day and just overall day-to-day performance leading their respective programs between Jimbo and Herman?

Is there even anything to discuss? Joking aside, I think you saw what a polished, experienced head coach used to presiding over a college football power program looks like versus one who has been a boss for three years with only one coming at the P5 level. Makes you wonder how that contrast looks on the recruiting trail, as well, doesn't it?

So I guess no one bothered to tell Looch that Sumlin actually has one more year of experience as a head coach than Jimbo? And started coaching in FBS three years before Jimbo?

file.php?40,file=319102,filename=fb6b51f

What a fucktard Liucci is. He really thinks he’s Billy Badass. And like a good aggy, he’s already spinning the Clemson game into a win/win scenario:

How would you define success in the Clemson game?

Winning. If not that, then playing the Tigers into the fourth quarter and have all of the recruits in attendance and the entire college football world wondering if the Aggies can pull it off in Fisher's second game on the A&M sidelines. Keeping Kyle Field electric from start to finish would be a huge win for the Ags in terms of recruiting momentum.

Edited by Sejjr
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, campcrunk said:

So I guess no one bothered to tell Looch that Sumlin actually has one more year of experience as a head coach than Jimbo? And started coaching in FBS three years before Jimbo?

file.php?40,file=319102,filename=fb6b51f

You git on outta here with them thar facts. We dont want none o that shit round here

With Bussey gone they better keep Trayveon Williams healthy. The only other returning production they have at the position is Kibodi who had 121 yards rushing last year.. Almost all of those yards came against trash opponents (Nichols, ULL, and New Mexico). 

Chin Pubes is probably right. One of the true FR will likely be aggys 2nd string RB next year. 

This is also somewhat amusing because I've seen several aggys hyping Bussey to have a big year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Didn't see Bussey left the team before... adios: https://247sports.com/player/kendall-bussey-24023

Trayveon is good, but he's not exactly a workhorse you pound SEC defenses into submission with, especially without anything special at offensive line. I don't know anything about Kibodi, but assuming he's nothing special based on Loochi already hyping up the three true freshmen, this is is actually a hit to A&M. Wonder why he's no longer with the team?

Yeah, Trayveon Williams isn't a workhorse back at all. He's only 5'9 and 200 pounds. I don't think people realize how small Williams is. Ideally, he should only be getting 15 to 20 carries a game max. 

A&M was probably using him too much last year which is why he always banged up. 

Edited by texasstrong12

20 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, Trayveon Williams isn't a workhorse back at all. He's only 5'9 and 200 pounds. I don't think people realize how small Williams is. Ideally, he should only be getting 15 to 20 carries a game max. 

A&M was probably using him too much last year which is why he always banged up. 

Their best chance to move the ball early in the season against Clemson and Bama will be to feed Trayveon, the best player on the team, 30+ times per game. It's easy to see him getting banged up or even injured after those two games. Of course, if the games get out of hand early, maybe he doesn't get as many touches. 

It'll be interesting to see how many touches he gets against NW State and La-Monroe in weeks 1 and 3. 

This whole article screams insecurity and little man syndrome. They have to keep telling everyone how great they are. 

Jimbo Fisher's recruiting pitch same thing that drew him to A&M

SAN ANTONIO - Jimbo Fisher was in a good spot. The Florida State head coach won a national championship in 2013 and was firmly entrenched at one of the top programs in the country. In previous offseasons, he had rebuffed efforts from other schools trying to lure him away from Tallahassee.

This past offseason was different, though.

Texas A&M made Fisher its only target as the Aggies looked to replace Kevin Sumlin. Seminole fans as well as media members that covered the team scoffed at the idea that he would leave Florida State for Aggieland. However, that is exactly what happened. In fact, as it became increasingly obvious that he was headed to A&M, he didn't even coach the team's final game as the powers that be in Tallahassee were resigned to the fact that Fisher was leaving.

Other than the money - Fisher was given a record $75 million guaranteed contract over 10 years - a lot of the national media has questioned why he would make the move. He is very familiar with the SEC, having cut his teeth at LSU and Auburn as an assistant, so it was a return to a conference that he considers the best in the country. However, there was much more that he felt Aggieland had to offer.

At the Texas High School Coaches Association (THSCA) convention, Fisher was asked about his sales pitch to recruits and how it has enabled he and his staff to have the current No. 2 class in the country.

"I’ll put A&M up with any university in the country," Fisher said. "That affects you personally by being there from the culture of the people – how much they love it, the way they care for people, how they treat people – there’s a demeanor that everywhere you go on campus…walk across the campus and I bet 10 people ask, ‘Can I help you?’ There’s a culture about wanting to give back."

Fisher also pointed out how strong of an academic institution that Texas A&M is. That is something that resonates with recruits and their parents.

"Academically, whether it’s engineering, whether it’s technology, whether it’s agriculture, whether it’s veterinary school, whether it’s business – most universities are known for just a few majors," he said. "A&M, it’s everybody. There’s more CEOs of Fortune 500 companies from A&M than any school in America."

Then there is the athletics side of things. Though A&M has not won a conference title in some time, the Aggies are seen as somewhat of a sleeping giant. The commitment is there from the University as well and that's something Fisher is able to show to recruits in a tangible way.

"Athletically, all you’ve got to do is walk in and see the stadium, see the facilities, see the commitment to the importance of what you do," he said. "Most of those kids love ball more than they love everything else. You take ball and you turn it into a life and career. It’s a 40-year decision, not a four one going to A&M."

To cap everything off, Fisher has already discovered what it means to be a part of the Aggie Network. Most players from the state of Texas plan to stay in its borders when they graduate and, if they go to A&M, they will be set when it comes time to find a job outside of football.

"That school of all schools can do it more than anybody because of the resources it has and the commitment it has," he said of A&M. "You’re talking about when you’re done, getting that Aggie ring and being a part of that Aggie Network. I heard about it when I came. I was at Auburn, I was at Florida State, I was at LSU – I was at great universities. We tried to take care of our players when they were done as much as anywhere in the world but the resources and the network that A&M has, it’s utterly amazing and I’ve never been around anything like it."

Fisher's four-pronged approach, as well as his staff of recruiters, has certainly paid off. He has first-hand experience with them being factors that would convince somebody to go to A&M.

"I think, when you put all those four things, that was one of those huge reasons that A&M attracted me," he said.

247Sports' Jeff Howe contributed to this report.

Normally I would be against the idea of a good player picking OU but it sounds like Carter is a cancer and knucklehead. This seems like a win/win to me. OU gets a cancer and aggy fans go crazy over missing another top end corner. 

Now Stripling. I hope he picks A&M or Alabama. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Though A&M has not won a conference title in some time, the Aggies are seen as somewhat of a sleeping giant.

247Sports' Jeff Howe contributed to this report.

Ah, the ole Fake News game of repetition where if someone repeats it enough, it becomes fact. Seen as somewhat of a sleeping giant by who exactly? Well, other aggies obviously, specifically the dipshit writing this article. 

Speaking of which, what the fuck did Jeff Howe have to contribute to that steaming pile of detritus? It had to have just been a quote form the THSCA meeting, right? Because other than a quote, there's one fact in that article and it's google level common knowledge at this point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, the ole Fake News game of repetition where if someone repeats it enough, it becomes fact. Seen as somewhat of a sleeping giant by who exactly? Well, other aggies obviously, specifically the dipshit writing this article. 

Speaking of which, what the fuck did Jeff Howe have to contribute to that steaming pile of detritus? It had to have just been a quote form the THSCA meeting, right? Because other than a quote, there's one fact in that article and it's google level common knowledge at this point. 

He may have added the 'somewhat of a' as I don't know of any aggy who doesn't KNOW they are a 'sleeping giant' full stop.

Per Hamm Lite -- Wydermeyer is on commit watch :: 

Jalen Wydermyer tweeted about doing a project with a media company about "the next chapter of my life." I believe it is a commitment video and I believe it will likely happen in the near future.

A&M feels good about him.

Also here's a list for their unofficial pool party Friday :: 

Here's who we have so far. Keep in mind that plans could change between now and Friday:

2019 COMMITS 
S Brian Williams, Dallas Bishop Dunne 
S Demani Richardson, Waxahachie 
WR Chase Lane, Houston St. Pius X 
DL DeMarvin Leal, Converse Judson 
CB Erick Young, Fort Bend Bush 
CB Bobby Wolfe, Houston Madison 
DE Braedon Mowry, Katy Taylor 
LB RJ Orebo, Dayton 
TE Baylor Cupp, Brock 
OC Layden Robinson, Manvel

2019 TARGETS 
TE Jalen Wydermyer, Dickinson

2020 COMMITS 
OG Josh Bankhead, The Woodlands College Park 
OT Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower 
OG Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner

2020 TARGETS 
S Chris Thompson, Duncanville 
WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin 
CB Joseph Wilson, North Shore

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Per Hamm Lite -- Wydermeyer is on commit watch :: 

Also here's a list for their unofficial pool party Friday :: 

Here's who we have so far. Keep in mind that plans could change between now and Friday:

2019 COMMITS 
S Brian Williams, Dallas Bishop Dunne 
S Demani Richardson, Waxahachie 
WR Chase Lane, Houston St. Pius X 
DL DeMarvin Leal, Converse Judson 
CB Erick Young, Fort Bend Bush 
CB Bobby Wolfe, Houston Madison 
DE Braedon Mowry, Katy Taylor 
LB RJ Orebo, Dayton 
TE Baylor Cupp, Brock 
OC Layden Robinson, Manvel

2019 TARGETS 
TE Jalen Wydermyer, Dickinson

2020 COMMITS 
OG Josh Bankhead, The Woodlands College Park 
OT Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower 
OG Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner

2020 TARGETS 
S Chris Thompson, Duncanville 
WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin 
CB Joseph Wilson, North Shore

Getting Thompson to show up is good for them. Omeire really needs to visit somewhere else just to see the world.