Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

5 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Jimbo hired a really good staff of recruiters

Outside of Elijah Robinson and Jay Graham I think that's pretty much what this A&M staff is. Just a bunch of recruiters. Those two coaches are the only two that I think are really developmental type coaches. 

Dameyone Craig is the perfect example. There's no doubt he can recruit but A&M's WRs have made absolutely no progress and they actually have talent at WR. But this isn't surprising because there were a lot of LSU/Auburn fans that thought Craig wasn't as good a coach as he is recruiter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Losing Carter would be a crippling loss because he's probably the one '19 commit most ready to contribute next year at corner. 

A&M's corners are terrible and they almost certainly have to replace at least one of them. They should be trying to replace both their starting corners. Oliver's regression has been incredible. Renfro has probably been better than Oliver this year. 

They're getting Banks, and they probably shouldn't count on Carter too heavily even if he doesn't flip 

11 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Jimbo hired a really good staff of recruiters, but selling a boring style at a slumping A&M is a lot harder than selling 'Bama or LSU.

That's a given.  A&M has always recruited reasonably well.  How can they not?  They're a big ass school in one of the top recruiting regions in the country.  The math alone of a 1,000+ high schools all but guarantees a top 20-30 class every year.  They like to play that card, but they've always had talent.  They just can't do shit with it.  Soon as they get close, their bat-crap crazy fans put the weight of the world on the backs of their players to get them the relevance they feel they deserve....and they invariably shit the bed.  It took a transcendent player like JM to get them close....and even he fell into their gravity.  

So in summary:  know your role bitches.... 

9 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

That's a given.  A&M has always recruited reasonably well.  How can they not?  They're a big ass school in one of the top recruiting regions in the country.  The math alone of a 1,000+ high schools all but guarantees a top 20-30 class every year.  They like to play that card, but they've always had talent.  They just can't do shit with it.  Soon as they get close, their bat-crap crazy fans put the weight of the world on the backs of their players to get them the relevance they feel they deserve....and they invariably shit the bed.  It took a transcendent player like JM to get them close....and even he fell into their gravity.  

So in summary:  know your role bitches.... 

They put the weight of the world on their shoulders because they're overpaying the f'k out of recruits and unlike those snagged by Bama, can't deliver.  LSU puts guys in the NFL annually win or lose which aggie can't sell yet.      

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

giphy.gif

Probably, but he was already like their 4th or 5th option. Not sure what they're going to do about the most important position on the field in this class. They better hope James Foster works out because the rest of the QBs on campus aren't looking so good, their '19 QB sucks, and it would be wise to not count on Hornsby right now imo.

E: If any aggies try to compare their class this year to ours last year, just refer them to the difference at the QB position. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

The top remaining uncommitted pro QB is Justin Fomby. 3*, #30 pro. Calzada is the #18 pro. 

There are a couple uncommitted dual QBs. I don't see them getting in on a Louisiana kid with 100% LSU CBs, so I guess Jayden Daniels is there only other option. I don't know anything about him but they're in his top 8. That said I bet they end up just taking Calzada. Fans and writers will just say he's raw and that Jimbo can develop QBs. 

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They weren’t in on foster until like 2 weeks before signing day. Minds can be changed. 

This is true. He was at least decommitted from Mizzou at this point. 

I think the funniest timeline would be if they didn't take a QB "to go all in on Hornsby" but a close runner up would be trying to get back in on Gunnell

Most important thing is we got our guy who was Jimbo's first choice lol

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

A&M's OL is 62nd in line yards and 121st in sack rate. 

So they're 121/130 teams in sack rate. This is one of the worst teams in the country in pass pro. The longer they keep Jim Turner the better. 

And their 2020 class already has four interior linemen committed 

Edited by Fud

So we've seen Aggy start to talk about Turner, noting what the rest of the world is saying. But they are Aggy and part of the roller coaster is ignoring what everyone else and the 2%ers have to say, right? 

Well now a few of them (2%ers for sure) have noted that CB recruiting has been terribad and that maybe Jimbo taking another class full of slow S isn't going to improve the situation. Although he does finish it with "Jimbo is on the right track" 

Oh, but not to be outdone we all know that Jimbo is a QB whisperer and "if Jimbo wants him, I want him" but the Calzada stats caused an Aggy to research Jimbo's takes at QB post-Jameis and well, that thread cracked me up. I'll spoiler the main elements and split it into 2 posts for your enjoyment. 

CB/DB recruiting sucks? (also known as no fucking shit Gomers - we've been telling you all of this every year) :: 

Let's talk DBs on our team

I ordered them by composite rating coming out of HS.

We've got 7 4-stars and 9 3-stars.

2 Seniors 
4 Juniors 
7 Sophomores 
3 Freshmen

Added some comments next to them as well

Leon O'Neal Jr. - 0.9624 FR (****) 
Highly rated freshman who has time to develop. Hope he becomes the stud he's ranked as because our secondary will need it.

Larry Pryor - 0.9320 JR (****) 
Bust? A junior that doesn't seem like he's developed much. Will he contribute as a senior? Doubtful?

Derrick Tucker - 0.9303 SO (****) 
Bust? He's a Sophomore so he's got time, but he looks so lost on the field and has cost us a lot. We're better off replacing him with the new talent coming in IMO.

Roney Elam - 0.9203 JR (****) 
Bust? I don't think he's done much of anything for us.

Jordan Moore - 0.9143 FR (****) 
Does this guy have speed? Is he redshirting? He's got time but if he doesn't have SEC speed I doubt he'll see time.

Travon Fuller - 0.9123 SO (****) 
Where is this dude? I had high hopes for him out of HS. He's 170 lb. Will he ever fill out? How fast is he?

Charles Oliver - 0.9081 JR (****) 
I hope he improves next year but I don't know if he's fast enough. Seems to have trouble keeping up with some WRs. He might be the best we've got though. Hopefully he has that experienced SR season some guys have.

Keldrick Carper - 0.8893 SO (***) 
Myles Jones - 0.8761 SO (***) 
What's up with these two? Any hope here? They'll probably be passed up by our recruits. Transfer candidates?

DCS - 0.8721 SR (***) 
He is what he is. He's also a SR, so we'll need to replace him. Did he ever get faster?

Devin Morris - 0.8692 FR (***) 
Moses Reynolds - 0.8634 SO (***) 
Clifford Chattman - 0.8590 SO (***) 
What's up with these three? I guess they're all projects. Would be cool to see a 6'5" CB in Chattman kicking ass, but can he move his hips? Is he fast enough? I guess we'll see in a year or two if any of these guys contribute.

Donovan Wilson - 0.8390 SR (***) 
We'll need to replace his production somehow. Pretty solid diamond in the rough despite all his targeting.

Debione Renfro - 0.8221 SO (***) 
Of every DB we have on the team, we've got our second lowest rated guy starting at CB. There isn't a single guy faster, more aware, willing to fight for the ball on the team? I don't know what his future is, but he's looked pretty bad. Can't blame him... he's a low 3-star sophomore in the SEC.

Antonio Howard - 0.8000 JR (***) 
Who?

Almost half of our 4-stars seem like busts and there is a chance more than half end up busts. We recruited 9 3-star DBs to play ball in the SEC and we're relying on 3 of them heavily right now.

When it comes to developing players, I feel like you can recruit great 3-star players for the trenches, but as you move from DL to LB to DB that becomes less true and you're better off trying to land the top guys in the nation.

Jimbo is on the right track. We've got 2 of the top 4 safeties in the nation and 2 of the top 10 cornerbacks in the nation committed to us for 2019. We've got to keep this trend up. Hopefully, if we do a similar look at our roster in 2-3 years, we'll see many more 4-star and 5-star DBs and many less 3-star DBs.

Choice replies ::

a. Really wish the last staff would’ve pressed harder for Innis Gaines and Moehrig-Woodard. Those were 2 huge steals by tcu. We let them get away with the good evals far too often. 

b. They're all terrible. Corners, even if they are in the rare position of making a play, can't do it. Safeties are good at run support. Otherwise they couldn't cover an intramural squad.Hell our best dB has been ejected 3 times for crying out loud. 

c. Like I said on tos, If we lose Lee, I wouldn't be against using his spot for a CB, close with Beason and Banks. You'd sign three shut down corners (potential) Banks, Carter and Beason.... And three guys that can play Safety or Rover Williams, Richardson and Erick Young

d. Agreed, but still think EY could potentially stick at corner. Also might want to just go for one of Beason and Banks, then land one of Blades, Daniel, and Miller if possible. Need help now.

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 1

and the QB discussion that leads from this ::

I may have missed this so my apologies if so. 
What's going on with Zach's performance? Is this accurate? I know it's been said he has a horrible team, horrible OL but this is pretty bad. 
Thoughts on 13%? Delete if you need.

3-22, 32 yards, 4 INTs

jimbo had a great run with Ponder, Manuel, and Winston. But he didnt recruit ponder. No doubt jimbo can coach QBs. thats not the issue. were talking evaluating the guys to take.

he had 7 straight Qbs signed and only 1 has shown to be anywhere near starting d1 quality. and many had off field issues, including francois.

2013 - John Franklin III. Left team for many reasons. went juco. then to auburn. never really played anywhere. 
2014 - JJ cosentino. stayed on roster. never pushed for PT 
2015 - deandre francois. started as a true fish. still the starter. been a solid player. 
2015 - deondre johnson. kicked off team for punching women in bar. now backup at FAU 
2016 - malik henry. transferred after 1 year 
2017 - bailey hockmann. named 3rd string and transferred to juco 
2017 - james blackmann. backup. forced into starting role in 2017 due to injuries stat line: 
SEASON    CMP    ATT    YDS    CMP%    YPA    LNG    TD    INT    SACK    RAT    RAW QBR    ADJ QBR

2017    173    297    2230    58.2    7.51    60    19    11    29    135.0    35.1    44.5

(29 sacks is interesting)

Jimbo QB recruiting continued ::

Here were his LSU QB commits 2001-2006: (I didnt list 2000, since that was his first year and likely didnt recruit their commit)

2001 - rick clausen. transferred to Tenn and whipped our ass in cotton bowl. not very talented but good game manager. 
2002 - Lester ricard. dual thread. who? 
2003 - Matt Flynn and Jamarcus Russell. 2 huge hits. flynn was under the radar kid who ended up as a highly paid pro. 
2004 - none 
2005 - ryan perriloux. national #1. bust. played for a lot of teams 
2006 - none

Here was FSU 2008 - 2012

2008 - EJ Manual. 5 star. national #2 qb. eventual 1st rddraft pick 
2009 - will secord. from frisco tx. who? 
2010 - jarred Haggins. dual threat 3 star. 
2010 - clint trickett. son of OL coach. transferred to WVA and had some very good games. 
2011 - jake coker. 3 star from alabama. pro style. transferred to bama and won a national championship 
2012 - jameis. national #1 qb 5 star. won heisman

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

So we've seen Aggy start to talk about Turner, noting what the rest of the world is saying. But they are Aggy and part of the roller coaster is ignoring what everyone else and the 2%ers have to say, right? 

Reveal hidden contents

2 Seniors 
4 Juniors 
7 Sophomores 
3 Freshmen

Highly rated freshman who has time to develop. Hope he becomes the stud he's ranked as because our secondary will need it.

Bust? A junior that doesn't seem like he's developed much. Will he contribute as a senior? Doubtful?

Bust? He's a Sophomore so he's got time, but he looks so lost on the field and has cost us a lot. We're better off replacing him with the new talent coming in IMO.

Does this guy have speed? Is he redshirting? He's got time but if he doesn't have SEC speed I doubt he'll see time.

Where is this dude? I had high hopes for him out of HS. He's 170 lb. Will he ever fill out? How fast is he?

I hope he improves next year but I don't know if he's fast enough. Seems to have trouble keeping up with some WRs. He might be the best we've got though. Hopefully he has that experienced SR season some guys have.

What's up with these two? Any hope here? They'll probably be passed up by our recruits. Transfer candidates?

DCS - 0.8721 SR (***) 
He is what he is. He's also a SR, so we'll need to replace him. Did he ever get faster?

What's up with these three? I guess they're all projects. Would be cool to see a 6'5" CB in Chattman kicking ass, but can he move his hips? Is he fast enough? I guess we'll see in a year or two if any of these guys contribute.

We'll need to replace his production somehow. Pretty solid diamond in the rough despite all his targeting.

Of every DB we have on the team, we've got our second lowest rated guy starting at CB. There isn't a single guy faster, more aware, willing to fight for the ball on the team? I don't know what his future is, but he's looked pretty bad. Can't blame him... he's a low 3-star sophomore in the SEC.

Who?

Almost half of our 4-stars seem like busts and there is a chance more than half end up busts. We recruited 9 3-star DBs to play ball in the SEC and we're relying on 3 of them heavily right now.

When it comes to developing players, I feel like you can recruit great 3-star players for the trenches, but as you move from DL to LB to DB that becomes less true and you're better off trying to land the top guys in the nation.

Jimbo is on the right track. We've got 2 of the top 4 safeties in the nation and 2 of the top 10 cornerbacks in the nation committed to us for 2019. We've got to keep this trend up. Hopefully, if we do a similar look at our roster in 2-3 years, we'll see many more 4-star and 5-star DBs and many less 3-star DBs.

a. Really wish the last staff would’ve pressed harder for Innis Gaines and Moehrig-Woodard. Those were 2 huge steals by tcu. We let them get away with the good evals far too often. 

b. They're all terrible. Corners, even if they are in the rare position of making a play, can't do it. Safeties are good at run support. Otherwise they couldn't cover an intramural squad.Hell our best dB has been ejected 3 times for crying out loud. 

c. Like I said on tos, If we lose Lee, I wouldn't be against using his spot for a CB, close with Beason and Banks. You'd sign three shut down corners (potential) Banks, Carter and Beason.... And three guys that can play Safety or Rover Williams, Richardson and Erick Young

d. Agreed, but still think EY could potentially stick at corner. Also might want to just go for one of Beason and Banks, then land one of Blades, Daniel, and Miller if possible. Need help now.

We’ve been pointing out that Turner wasn’t the mastermind behind Johnny Cocaine’s success and that he was hired back to them as a different position coach, but they willfully ignored the “stupid sips”. Now they are realizing it themselves like it’s some sort of revelation.

That’s the beauty of their thinking, they are so adamant that Texas fans don’t know anything that they’ll continue to ignore the issues for an extra year or two after they even realize it just so they can avoid saying that we were right. 

In the end, it just makes it that much better for us because we were right all along and they dragged out the suck longer than needed.

Its happenened with their last three head coaches, numerous DC’s, Turner, and now Jimbo is up next. But this one will drag out even further because of the ridiculous contract, the unwarranted expectations and bravado.

clickity clack

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

We’ve been pointing out that Turner wasn’t the mastermind behind Johnny Cocaine’s success and that he was hired back to them as a different position coach, but they willfully ignored the “stupid sips”. Now they are realizing it themselves like it’s some sort of revelation.

That’s the beauty of their thinking, they are so adamant that Texas fans don’t know anything that they’ll continue to ignore the issues for an extra year or two after they even realize it just so they can avoid saying that we were right. 

In the end, it just makes it that much better for us because we were right all along and they dragged out the suck longer than needed.

Its happenened with their last three head coaches, numerous DC’s, Turner, and now Jimbo is up next. But this one will drag out even further because of the ridiculous contract, the unwarranted expectations and bravado.

clickity clack

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Fisher earned the nickname "Slim Jimbo" because of his affinity for meat snacks. He has mentioned in numerous interviews that he wishes to launch an organic jerky company after he retires from coaching. The company would feature jerky made from animals native to both the Deep South and his native West Virginia, such as alligator, muskrat, and wild boar.

48 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Fisher earned the nickname "Slim Jimbo" because of his affinity for meat snacks. He has mentioned in numerous interviews that he wishes to launch an organic jerky company after he retires from coaching. The company would feature jerky made from animals native to both the Deep South and his native West Virginia, such as alligator, muskrat, and wild boar.

Forgot squirrel, opossum, raccoon and armadillo--all your basic road kill jerky. 

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

Well now a few of them (2%ers for sure) have noted that CB recruiting has been terribad and that maybe Jimbo taking another class full of slow S isn't going to improve the situation. Although he does finish it with "Jimbo is on the right track" 

Oh, but not to be outdone we all know that Jimbo is a QB whisperer and "if Jimbo wants him, I want him" but the Calzada stats caused an Aggy to research Jimbo's takes at QB post-Jameis and well, that thread cracked me up. I'll spoiler the main elements and split it into 2 posts for your enjoyment. 

CB/DB recruiting sucks? (also known as no fucking shit Gomers - we've been telling you all of this every year) :: 

Hide contents

2 Seniors 
4 Juniors 
7 Sophomores 
3 Freshmen

DCS - 0.8721 SR (***) 

Who?

Too bad Wolfe was too much of a moron and shithead to make it in their class, he would have fit in nicely