Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think he's a stud. Heading into the season I thought he'd have a chance to be a top ten prospect in the state, and I still think he has that upside

Same.  I've been driving that bus for a while -- Incredibly high ceiling.-- but after seeing him this season as a LB, his best position may be TE. He's got freakish athleticism and if he played with as much hate in his heart as his brother he'd be a top 20 player in the nation. Someone's got to untap that potential. It is a small red flag that his mother seems to want to keep him close to home, after letting his brother go off to school. Possible immaturity? The other possibility is that the mother/distance angle has been way over-played by Aggy echo chamber. 

46 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Same.  I've been driving that bus for a while -- Incredibly high ceiling.-- but after seeing him this season as a LB, his best position may be TE. He's got freakish athleticism and if he played with as much hate in his heart as his brother he'd be a top 20 player in the nation. Someone's got to untap that potential. It is a small red flag that his mother seems to want to keep him close to home, after letting his brother go off to school. Possible immaturity? The other possibility is that the mother/distance angle has been way over-played by Aggy echo chamber. 

Just mom being a mom, imo 

He looked like Chaisson in his junior hudl as an edge guy, but he plateaued a bit. I know a lot of schools like him as an H-back

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Paging @golfclap... @golfclap to the red courtesy telephone, please

heh. 

The craziest part is that fucking 247 kowtowed to the fucking crying ass Aggy board, because those tinfoil hat wearing morons think EJ (or Bobby) had something to do with his position change, and moved him back. Fucking ridiculous. And no, it's not just his height. He's an OG and a very good one, but he is not an elite OT prospect. He plays out over his feet and reaches and grabs a tremendous amount because he doesn't have the innate balance needed to be effective on the outside in pass protection. He's a fucking mauler and there's nothing wrong with that but Aggy gonna Aggy. 

Spoiler

Liucci

4:35p

Staff

AG

Quote:

Do we beat LSU? 

Not ready to say that for sure, but I certainly think the Ags have a real shot at it. It's all about match-ups in the SEC this season if you're name isn't Alabama. I think the Aggies actually match-up fairly well with Ed O's Bayou Bengals. Not in every area, mind you, but in enough spots that it's going to be a four-quarter football game decided in the final five minutes either way. I'll go a lot more in-depth next week, but I think the Ags' run defense and what I think will be the ability to run the football with at least modest success keeps this game a 60-minute defensive struggle.

Quote:

Do you think the targeting rule stays as is, or do we get any help after so many inconsistencies in calling it across the league? 

I think it's something the SEC is going to be forced to take a very hard look at during the off-season, and I do think we'll see some significant changes designed to add some consistency in terms of how it's called (and maybe some changes in the way it's punished). Both absolutely suck as of today, and that's generally not the SEC way of doing business.

Quote:

Are we now a team that is legitimately dominating the line of scrimmage in your opinion? 

It sure seems like we are. 

Quote:

Can we expect that next year?

It's hard to believe what Jimbo and Elko have done with essentially the same team that couldn't dominate either side the year prior. Well, they are absolutely dominating the line of scrimmage on defense and there have been several Saturdays this fall - even against some SEC opposition - where they've done it while still very much being a work in progress on the o-line. Still, it's pretty hard to say that when they lead the league in sacks allowed by a wide margin and when they've run the ball against Auburn (8th in the SEC vs. the run) and Ole Miss (last in the league in that category) the past two weeks. I do see a LOT of progress, and if they close it out by running the ball in the last three (against UAB this weekend and especially vs. LSU) then you could say the OL might be the most improved unit on the team from the beginning of the season until the end. The o-line should be noticeably improved next season, and while the DL might take a very brief step back, the way they are recruiting up front combined with what Elko has been able to do this season bodes very well for the Aggies playing top-10 run defense throughout his tenure in College Station.

Quote:

If JJ and the Boys lure Lincoln Riley away from OU, then who does OU hire as its next HC? Leach? Holgo? KK? Sumlin? Mark Stoops? 

I'm still standing by my two-year old prediction that Dan Campbell is the next Dallas Cowboys head coach. If Riley somehow left, I have no idea where OU would go but I don't think it would be Sumlin or Kliff. Mark Stoops would just feel forced as well. Leach would be fascinating and Dana too, but I could also see them going after someone like Justin Fuente or James Franklin.

Quote:

Who do you think will be the starting secondary in 2019 including the starting nickel? 

This is as tough as any question I'll field in this thread. It's absolutely anyone's guess at this point. I really don't have a clue (and don't even think Elko or Linguist will). You're returning everyone but Wilson out of the current starters and lose only Capers-Smith and Pryor from the rotation. You're adding Chattman to the mix in 2019, and Myles Jones is surging at corner these past couple of weeks. Plus you'll mix in Leon O'Neal and Jordan Moore as second-year guys ready to compete beginning this spring PLUS no fewer than four and perhaps five newcomers in the defensive backfield. Get back to me this spring because even the coaches wouldn't have a chance at answering this one right now. Heck, I'm not even sure you couldn't move Chattman or even Renfro to safety if you wanted to.

Quote:

Starkel staying or leaving?

My guess is that he leaves, but Nick is too much of a team guy and too classy to talk about his intentions to probably anyone but those closest to him. To be honest, when I see Nick and talk to him it's the last thing I consider asking him. I know that's not the 'reporter' thing for me to do but I'm not out there trying to dig around and make a player who has been so loyal to this school and program feel pressed. We'll find out that in good time, and if I'm fortunate enough to get the story (like I did with Kyler and to a lesser extent Kyle) then you guys will be the first to know. It just seems to make too much sense for a young man who still has a LOT of football in him.

Quote:

What do you make of the Ags who seem to have soured on Fisher in year one? 

Seems like the average negative poster here truly believes he or she knows better than Jimbo in regard to who should play, play calling, and just about every facet of the game. For me, the change in attitude alone has been amazing. The other parts will follow. I think it's absolutely ridiculous, and whether Jimbo succeeds or not (and it sure is trending in the right direction, not to mention his track record of success), anyone who jumps to irrational conclusions this early while the Ags have been 'down to the last minute' competitive in every game but one (the team no one has stayed within 22 points of - and that was A&M)? Well, I really have neither the time nor the patience to continue to wade into such discussions.

Quote:

Do you think Texas high school football will ever go back to a more physical style of football? 

I'm not optimistic about it. 7-on-7 football and the mass proliferation of spread offenses make it seem as if that genie escaped from the bottle long ago. I don't see it going back anytime soon, and I do think it's having a profound impact at the college level in this state and region. There's a reason why the Big 12 plays the style of ball that it plays and why the NFL Draft numbers look like they do year in and year out when you compare leagues.

Quote:

Do we get a big enough lead against UAB to see some backups and if so which guys would you be most excited to see out there? Not necessarily who WILL play... 

I don't expect this will be an 'empty the bench' kind of game. Yes, I think the Ags win and pull away, but not enough to clear the benches. if entire backup units are coming in, I doubt it's for more than a series or so very late, if that. UAB is a legit team, regardless of whether they're a Group of Five opponent or not.

Quote:

Why hasn't Leon O'Neal seen the field more?

Still learning the defense and adjusting to the college game. Remember, the majority of these big plays allowed have come with guys being where they need to be. This hasn't been a big 'bust' secondary for the most part. It's just failing to make plays on the ball and missing tackles. I think with Leon they're trying to figure out exactly where he fits in the defense because he's a pretty damn big safety who can run and cover ground but isn't necessarily a blazer. I think O'Neal starts somewhere on the A&M defense next fall as a sophomore, but I'm not 100% positive as to where. Could be as a deep safety or it could be close to the line of scrimmage, somewhere like Rover even.

Quote:

Does that incident hurt Matt Luke down the road? 

Not as much as losing football games is going to hurt him. Going for an extra 15 yards via a cheap targeting call will hurt him about as much as that chili-bowl haircut will. It's nothing more than a bad look.

Quote:

Do any of our current commits NOT plan to sign in December? 

Let's check with Howell and Brauny and put a comprehensive list together. Most will sign in December.

Quote:

Which three offensive linemen not playing this year do you think will push the hardest to start next year? 

I'd say Luke Matthews an Kenyon Green the third one is up in the air.

Quote:

Why do you think Trayveon is not getting very much hype? As the SEC's leading rusher you would think he would garner more national attention than he has. I assume it's our overall record, but leading the country's best conference in rushing is no small feat and he has a legitimate chance at All-America honors. Yet, crickets on the national media front. 

Yeah, I haven't heard a whole lot but he's only REALLY emerged the past couple of weeks, and you know how it goes when a guy enters a season with very little hype. I do think folks all over the SEC know exactly who he is and know how much of a game-changer the dude is. If he finishes the seasons strong and returns next season, he's a legitimate pre-season Heisman contender. Because running backs have a short shelf life and with the position being undervalued in the draft, it's tough to do much to go from a third-rounder to a first in one season. He's going to have a pretty tough 'stay or go' decision IMO. He is the underclassman most likely to exit early, though that's by no means a sure thing, so don't misinterpret. Again, come back and try to become A&M's all-time leading rusher, be a part of the breakthrough season all of Aggieland has been waiting for and make a run at NYC in December. Those are the carrots out there for #5 in 2019. We'll know soon enough.

Quote:

How did Elko transform the weakest area of this team: its run defense and getting off the field on third down, into its greatest strength, in one season with the same players from last year? 

It really is pretty incredible, isn't it? I think the find of Kingsley Keke (who has done an amazing job of consistently setting the edge) was a huge part of the equation, but also the coaching jobs done by Terry Price and Elijah Robinson. What Robinson has done with Daylon Mack has been next-level type stuff. The Ags also field a line starting three seniors, which REALLY matters in this league, and they have excellent depth in the middle and versatility across the front. Otaro Alaka and Tyrel Dodson also don't get the credit they deserve. They're veterans and very smart football players. Alaka is starting to draw some real looks from NFL scouts, by the way. More than anything else, Elko is just an outstanding defensive mind who knows exactly what an offense is trying to do to him, and quite frankly, he's just not going to let his defense give up much on the ground. Get used to it.

Quote:

Has Alabama's dominance ruined the SEC/college football? 

How? It's just a talking point for people like Kannell and Klatt use to garner attention and attempt to build up their personal brand. It hasn't impacted any of the other schools on the recruiting front, and for as great as Bama is, they have gone undefeated I think just once or maybe only twice in Saban's tenure, losing an SEC game nearly every season he's been in T-Town. They've also been dumped in two of the four playoffs and nearly lost to Georgia in a third. College football is fine, and the SEC is fine last I checked, despite what the Big 12 honks will shamelessly try to tell you. I mean, is there a more embarrassing group of shills than the folks like Klatt and the guy the Sooner fan posing as an objective national college football guy this week who went on Finebaum talking up Oklahoma? 

Quote:

How close in skill set/instant impact are Greg Little and Kenyon Green as high school seniors? Thanks for doing this. 

They're different players in that Little was a pure tackle all the way and Green could just as easily play tackle or guard. From a raw talent/athleticism standpoint, I think the two are very comparable. Pretty obvious five stars and 'early-entry NFL Draft pick if they have the right work ethic' type of guys since about their junior seasons of high school.

Quote:

Who's the key recruit left? 

If you made me say just one I'd go with Nakobe Dean, but even though he's visiting this weekend, I still think he's a major longshot. It might be someone like one of the JC corners or a pure pass-rusher like David Ugwoegbu.

Quote:

With the chatter of NFL expansion to Europe (still hearing it on the radio), do you think college football will follow by having a few choice college games played there as well? Not just Notre Dame or BC, but more prime out of conference matchups? 

Yes, I could definitely see that eventually happening, but not necessarily on a grand scale. Maybe teams like A&M, Texas, Bama or OU do it once every ten years or so. Just three or four games a season in early September or even late August, but that's about it. The problem is that in college football every single game means SO much to the careers of coaches and the trajectory of programs that not many are going to be excited about signing up for the variable that comes with traveling across the globe, playing in front of a half-empty stadium consisting of a bunch of foreign fans and seeing how 18-22 years old respond.

Quote:

What areas have we improved since the Clemson game, what areas have regressed? 

I really don't think the Aggies have regressed in any areas "since the Clemson game." They're better on both lines. Have gotten better and better against the run. The return game is better. They were bad against the deep and downfield passing game in that one and haven't shown much improvement in that regard, unfortunately... They're much better at running the football. Pass pro has been about the same, IMO. Do a decent job against some teams and struggle against the elite pass rushes. Return game has improved. Punting is still outstanding and kicking is unfair to judge because you went from a senior All-SEC candidate to a true freshman. Tight end and fullback blocking is MUCH better. Trayveon has gotten better and better as the season has gone on. Mond obviously hasn't had that kind of game since then, and the receivers haven't either, but I don't think that means they've regressed. They overachieved for that one night at home early in the season and did so against a lot of zone defense. Teams have adjusted and made the Ags beat a lot more man than they saw in that game, and it's definitely not yet a strength. Are they better in the passing game now than they were in September in general? Probably so, but I don't think they've necessarily made huge strides there. Still, I don't think they've regressed because they were never the type of offense that was regularly going to go for 500 yards against an elite defense, and so many of those plays were more of a flash of guys like Mond and his pass-catchers could be at their absolute best. You'd never ever complain about a performance like that, and it almost led to a season- and even program-defining win, but it certainly led to expectations for year one soaring through the roof almost immediately.

Quote:

Elko leaves after which season?
A. 2019
B. 2020
C. 2021
D. 2022

Why do we have to play this game? The guy has been here for like 45 minutes and I'm constantly asked when he's leaving. It doesn't help recruiting for a fan base to constantly be thinking this way. I'm serious about that. IMO, he's here at least three years and maybe four. Who knows, he may stick around six. Believe it or not, it's happened where great coordinators stay somewhere more than a couple of seasons.

Quote:

Predict our starting defensive front seven next year. 

Wow, see a couple of questions below. That one is REALLY tough because there are so many variables. I'll go Tyree Johnson-Justin Madubuike-Jayden Peevy-Bobby Brown when the Ags go heavy, but I think DeMarvin Leal cracks the lineup at some point as a true freshman. So many other combinations I could see shaking out with so much raw talent this year when it comes to the newcomers (true freshmen and Diallo) and some real studs coming in like Leal, Mowry and possibly Ugwoegbu and/or Hunter (to name a few).

Quote:

How close was Jimbo to pulling Mond? 

Probably not as close as even he made it seem right after the game. But close enough. If Kellen had gone back out there and turned the ball over again then I think absolutely it would've happened, but he didn't. Instead he led the Aggies on long touchdown drives and made a couple of terrific throws, so that's a long way from failing and being taken out, right? Where it would've been interesting would have been a quick three-and-out with Mond missing a read or an open receiver. He may not have survived that one either because it was really getting down to crunch time there. Sticking with him proved to be the right play for not only that particular game but also the season, IMO. It's so late in the year that it would be pretty disruptive to make a change at that position. You only make it if your QB is playing so poorly that you're in real jeopardy of losing a game and KNOW you'd have a better chance of winning that particular game with QB2.

Quote:

Who is the best first-year coach of the year not named Jimbo? 

Well let me start by saying coaches who take over where a guy wasn't fired are at an advantage, as are coaches who are simply promoted from within. Even without factoring that in, I'd say maybe Mullen at Florida. Pruitt has made a slight run, but they were SO bad at the outset it negates their two big wins to a large degree. Obviously Heupel at UCF but they play NO ONE and have the most talent every time they take the field.

Quote:

For years we seem to give up huge sweep & screen gains on our right side, even with Myles out there. Scheme, players problem, or my imagination? 

I think it's your imagination in that it just happens to everyone save maybe a small handful of defenses over the course of just about any game. Now, it happened a TON in recent seasons under Snides (and then even Chavis), and I do think when it happens with that degree of regularity it has to do with the scheme or style of play. In all honesty, we haven't seen very much of that at all this year, and the Ags have actually done a nice job against the quick passing and screen game as well. For the most part, where they're giving up chunk plays is in the downfield passing game, and the majority of those are contested, but the DBs just aren't making plays on the ball and finishing.

Quote:

What do you hear about some of the guys who are redshirting up front: Tank, Matthews, Clement, Blanton on the OL, and Tyree Wilson and Diallo on the DL? 

Hearing VERY good things about Matthews. Colten Blanton is going to be a very interesting one to watch as he fills out that frame. Tyree Wilson has a chance to be special off the edge, but he's still pretty raw. Further along than I expected though. I'm VERY interested to see how things shake out at end next year with Landis and Keke gone but Clemons returning. Not to mention guys like Wilson, Jeremiah Martin, Max Wright and Tyree Johnson (plus DeMarvin Leal and Braedon Mowry), and also seeing if Bobby Brown makes the full-time move inside or is used in the same way Kingsley has been this fall. As for Diallo, he's one of the tougher guys on the team to block at times in practice. Year one has been a learning experience for a guy who didn't even play football in high school and is coming out of the JC ranks, but he has folks VERY excited about what he'll be able to do over the next two seasons.

Quote:

What is your takeaway from Manziel's first season in the CFL and his NFL prospects now that he has finished year 1 of the required 2 years in the CFL? I would imagine his off the field behavior would be a large factor in NFL teams considering him, and even though he didn't get much playing time this year, he has made great strides off the field. 

He has made great strides off the field, no question about it. I'm happy for him, and it's just good to see him as a part of a team, happily married and playing the game he loves again. The key now is the off-season. It's a long one. He'll need a little break to recharge back home in Cali, but if he REALLY devotes himself to returning to form beginning after the New Year, I think he could have the type of season in 2019 that catches the attention of an NFL team or three. If not, then he can play for several years as a starting QB in Canada and make some good money playing football for six months out of the year well into his 30s. Not bad work if you can get it.

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Quote:

What's your favorite steakhouse? 

In town, Wade at the Republic runs an outstanding operation and the food is second to none. Absolutely cannot wait until the new one opens up next month. It'll be a great spot for food, libations and hanging out. Porter's is a regular stop as well. I love that entire Century Square area... especially this time of year. In general, I've always felt like Pappas Bros does as good a steak as any of the big-name spots. In Dallas, I'm a big fan of Al Beirnat's, and I know you're not 'cool' in Dallas if you're not at Nick & Sam's or in Houston and not at Mastro's, and they're both worth it. Had a really good one in Miami at Prime 112 but have had better.

Quote:

Hey Billy, would love to get your thoughts on the Zach Smith scorched-earth attack on the Hermans...is there a fire storm brewing in the heart of texass?

I'll get back to this one shortly. Want to get it in the thread now so you guys don't have to wait.

Quote:

Will you be married in the next 3 years? 

Well if we're just playing the odds here, I'd have to say it's not likely. If I am great, I'd love to find that special woman, but if I'm not it's not the end of the world for me. I'm pretty content with where things are at now, even though everyone else seems to spend an inordinate amount of time wondering about it. The only one who really has a fair reason to complain is my mom.

Quote:

What's your perfect plate of Thanksgiving food? 

About a pound of stuffing. Multiple types of stuffing. Just a little turkey but topped with a lot of really good brown gravy. Green beans. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and some baked ham that I can tear up and put into those little fresh baked rolls (maybe even with a scoop of mashed potatoes IN them), topped off with a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top.

Quote:

Wrestling match between Petrino, Hugh Freeze, Herman and Briles with a pig...who wins? 

Not sure where the pig comes in, but let's just say between that group... I'd say Herman wins if a sledgehammer is involved, Petrino if they're battling it out on Harleys, Freeze if said wrestling match also included escorts and Briles... well, actually, I think Briles would knock all of those fools out. I remember back when the Ags hired Sumlin someone was actively pushing Briles to me behind the scenes (as if I had any real pull), and two of my friends who were also close with Art were both citing the fact that he could bench press some ungodly amount of weight and that he "goes in the weight room and squats with the players" as a huge selling point. But seriously though, Art in a landslide, but don't tell that to Hulk Herman.

Quote:

Do you think EA Sports will ever resurrect the NCAA Football game?

Unfortunately no and it's because of the whole climate of the whole 'players should or shouldn't be paid' debate. Until that's resolved, I don't think the NCAA would touch it as far as licensing it, and too many players would try to sue. That's sadly the world we live in today. A shame because that game was THE game we'd play in college. Once beat my roommates so soundly and so repeatedly that one got in his truck, turned on 'All Along the Watchtower' and repeatedly ran over the controller. I think I threw our doormat on the other roomie after a particularly sound beating. Dante Hall and I had a longstanding rivalry and myself, Bumgardner and Rich Coady were probably all better than Dan Campbell, and well, let's just say DC doesn't handle losing very well, so we had a house secret that we'd occasionally throw a game here or there so the mood was better at dinner or when we were pre-gaming before going out.

Quote:

Since Dalton sucks at picking questions, can I have his job? 

Seriously though. But I think I'm being too mean to Dalton. I've got to compliment him soon. Maybe when the finally does a good job of picking questions.

Quote:

Favorite holiday? 

Thanksgiving I suppose. I like the food, fam and the football. Christmas is a close second. Never been a huge New Year's Eve guy because it just takes too much planning to get everyone on the same page, and Valentine's Day is the day before my birthday so it pales in comparison. Fourth of July? Probably comes in at No. 3. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Paging @golfclap... @golfclap to the red courtesy telephone, please

DsDvdyzUwAEDypN.jpgDsDveKlVYAEt8Fo.jpgDsDveiWU4AAn2YL.jpg

If anyone knows low-IQ internet t-shirt fans, it’s aggy. 

What’s that racist trolling piece of shit’s name? Ah yes. Daniel Joseph Figurelli. Super Cougar High fan, but oh yeah, aggy extraordinaire. . 

• Like 2

This idoit talking about the Aggy secondary and not being a bust unit under the O'Neal section.

They're just not making plays on the ball and missing tackles.

Ha, that's called a bust unit.  They're 6-4 and this guy is talking like they're Alabama.  Don't sleep on UAB and hope LSU doesn't embarrass you.  The loss is inevitable.  You're 7-5 at best.

Edited by Snotrocket
I suck at typing.

25 minutes ago, Snotrocket said:

This idoit talking about the Aggy secondary and not being a bust unit under the O'Neal section.

They're just not making plays on the ball and missing tackles.

Ha, that's called a bust unit.  They're 6-4 and this guy is talking like they're Alabama.  Don't sleep on UAB and hope LSU doesn't embarrass you.  The loss is inevitable.  You're 7-5 at best.

I couldn't bring myself to read most of the interview because for equivalent insight, I could have asked the homeless guy that sleeps in my neighbors cat house and talks in broken Spanish. It's really difficult to read and take seriously.  I mean the depth of his takes from the Cowboys HC to where O'Neal will play in the secondary next year is piss.  

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

I couldn't bring myself to read most of the interview because for equivalent insight, I could have asked the homeless guy that sleeps in my neighbors cat house and talks in broken Spanish. It's really difficult to read and take seriously.  I mean the depth of his takes from the Cowboys HC to where O'Neal will play in the secondary next year is piss.  

That's smart.  I rarely read anything Aggy.  But that was like quicksand.  The more I read, the more sucked in I got.  Just when I read peak stupidity, they went ahead and found another level.  It was an absolute trainwreck.  So much grand standing with absolute zero substance.  I need to take a break.  My head hurts.

17 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Liucci

4:35p

Staff

AG

Quote:

Do we beat LSU? 

Not ready to say that for sure, but I certainly think the Ags have a real shot at it. It's all about match-ups in the SEC this season if you're name isn't Alabama. I think the Aggies actually match-up fairly well with Ed O's Bayou Bengals. Not in every area, mind you, but in enough spots that it's going to be a four-quarter football game decided in the final five minutes either way. I'll go a lot more in-depth next week, but I think the Ags' run defense and what I think will be the ability to run the football with at least modest success keeps this game a 60-minute defensive struggle.

Quote:

Do you think the targeting rule stays as is, or do we get any help after so many inconsistencies in calling it across the league? 

I think it's something the SEC is going to be forced to take a very hard look at during the off-season, and I do think we'll see some significant changes designed to add some consistency in terms of how it's called (and maybe some changes in the way it's punished). Both absolutely suck as of today, and that's generally not the SEC way of doing business.

Quote:

Are we now a team that is legitimately dominating the line of scrimmage in your opinion? 

It sure seems like we are. 

Quote:

Can we expect that next year?

It's hard to believe what Jimbo and Elko have done with essentially the same team that couldn't dominate either side the year prior. Well, they are absolutely dominating the line of scrimmage on defense and there have been several Saturdays this fall - even against some SEC opposition - where they've done it while still very much being a work in progress on the o-line. Still, it's pretty hard to say that when they lead the league in sacks allowed by a wide margin and when they've run the ball against Auburn (8th in the SEC vs. the run) and Ole Miss (last in the league in that category) the past two weeks. I do see a LOT of progress, and if they close it out by running the ball in the last three (against UAB this weekend and especially vs. LSU) then you could say the OL might be the most improved unit on the team from the beginning of the season until the end. The o-line should be noticeably improved next season, and while the DL might take a very brief step back, the way they are recruiting up front combined with what Elko has been able to do this season bodes very well for the Aggies playing top-10 run defense throughout his tenure in College Station.

Quote:

If JJ and the Boys lure Lincoln Riley away from OU, then who does OU hire as its next HC? Leach? Holgo? KK? Sumlin? Mark Stoops? 

I'm still standing by my two-year old prediction that Dan Campbell is the next Dallas Cowboys head coach. If Riley somehow left, I have no idea where OU would go but I don't think it would be Sumlin or Kliff. Mark Stoops would just feel forced as well. Leach would be fascinating and Dana too, but I could also see them going after someone like Justin Fuente or James Franklin.

Quote:

Who do you think will be the starting secondary in 2019 including the starting nickel? 

This is as tough as any question I'll field in this thread. It's absolutely anyone's guess at this point. I really don't have a clue (and don't even think Elko or Linguist will). You're returning everyone but Wilson out of the current starters and lose only Capers-Smith and Pryor from the rotation. You're adding Chattman to the mix in 2019, and Myles Jones is surging at corner these past couple of weeks. Plus you'll mix in Leon O'Neal and Jordan Moore as second-year guys ready to compete beginning this spring PLUS no fewer than four and perhaps five newcomers in the defensive backfield. Get back to me this spring because even the coaches wouldn't have a chance at answering this one right now. Heck, I'm not even sure you couldn't move Chattman or even Renfro to safety if you wanted to.

Quote:

Starkel staying or leaving?

My guess is that he leaves, but Nick is too much of a team guy and too classy to talk about his intentions to probably anyone but those closest to him. To be honest, when I see Nick and talk to him it's the last thing I consider asking him. I know that's not the 'reporter' thing for me to do but I'm not out there trying to dig around and make a player who has been so loyal to this school and program feel pressed. We'll find out that in good time, and if I'm fortunate enough to get the story (like I did with Kyler and to a lesser extent Kyle) then you guys will be the first to know. It just seems to make too much sense for a young man who still has a LOT of football in him.

Quote:

What do you make of the Ags who seem to have soured on Fisher in year one? 

Seems like the average negative poster here truly believes he or she knows better than Jimbo in regard to who should play, play calling, and just about every facet of the game. For me, the change in attitude alone has been amazing. The other parts will follow. I think it's absolutely ridiculous, and whether Jimbo succeeds or not (and it sure is trending in the right direction, not to mention his track record of success), anyone who jumps to irrational conclusions this early while the Ags have been 'down to the last minute' competitive in every game but one (the team no one has stayed within 22 points of - and that was A&M)? Well, I really have neither the time nor the patience to continue to wade into such discussions.

Quote:

Do you think Texas high school football will ever go back to a more physical style of football? 

I'm not optimistic about it. 7-on-7 football and the mass proliferation of spread offenses make it seem as if that genie escaped from the bottle long ago. I don't see it going back anytime soon, and I do think it's having a profound impact at the college level in this state and region. There's a reason why the Big 12 plays the style of ball that it plays and why the NFL Draft numbers look like they do year in and year out when you compare leagues.

Quote:

Do we get a big enough lead against UAB to see some backups and if so which guys would you be most excited to see out there? Not necessarily who WILL play... 

I don't expect this will be an 'empty the bench' kind of game. Yes, I think the Ags win and pull away, but not enough to clear the benches. if entire backup units are coming in, I doubt it's for more than a series or so very late, if that. UAB is a legit team, regardless of whether they're a Group of Five opponent or not.

Quote:

Why hasn't Leon O'Neal seen the field more?

Still learning the defense and adjusting to the college game. Remember, the majority of these big plays allowed have come with guys being where they need to be. This hasn't been a big 'bust' secondary for the most part. It's just failing to make plays on the ball and missing tackles. I think with Leon they're trying to figure out exactly where he fits in the defense because he's a pretty damn big safety who can run and cover ground but isn't necessarily a blazer. I think O'Neal starts somewhere on the A&M defense next fall as a sophomore, but I'm not 100% positive as to where. Could be as a deep safety or it could be close to the line of scrimmage, somewhere like Rover even.

Quote:

Does that incident hurt Matt Luke down the road? 

Not as much as losing football games is going to hurt him. Going for an extra 15 yards via a cheap targeting call will hurt him about as much as that chili-bowl haircut will. It's nothing more than a bad look.

Quote:

Do any of our current commits NOT plan to sign in December? 

Let's check with Howell and Brauny and put a comprehensive list together. Most will sign in December.

Quote:

Which three offensive linemen not playing this year do you think will push the hardest to start next year? 

I'd say Luke Matthews an Kenyon Green the third one is up in the air.

Quote:

Why do you think Trayveon is not getting very much hype? As the SEC's leading rusher you would think he would garner more national attention than he has. I assume it's our overall record, but leading the country's best conference in rushing is no small feat and he has a legitimate chance at All-America honors. Yet, crickets on the national media front. 

Yeah, I haven't heard a whole lot but he's only REALLY emerged the past couple of weeks, and you know how it goes when a guy enters a season with very little hype. I do think folks all over the SEC know exactly who he is and know how much of a game-changer the dude is. If he finishes the seasons strong and returns next season, he's a legitimate pre-season Heisman contender. Because running backs have a short shelf life and with the position being undervalued in the draft, it's tough to do much to go from a third-rounder to a first in one season. He's going to have a pretty tough 'stay or go' decision IMO. He is the underclassman most likely to exit early, though that's by no means a sure thing, so don't misinterpret. Again, come back and try to become A&M's all-time leading rusher, be a part of the breakthrough season all of Aggieland has been waiting for and make a run at NYC in December. Those are the carrots out there for #5 in 2019. We'll know soon enough.

Quote:

How did Elko transform the weakest area of this team: its run defense and getting off the field on third down, into its greatest strength, in one season with the same players from last year? 

It really is pretty incredible, isn't it? I think the find of Kingsley Keke (who has done an amazing job of consistently setting the edge) was a huge part of the equation, but also the coaching jobs done by Terry Price and Elijah Robinson. What Robinson has done with Daylon Mack has been next-level type stuff. The Ags also field a line starting three seniors, which REALLY matters in this league, and they have excellent depth in the middle and versatility across the front. Otaro Alaka and Tyrel Dodson also don't get the credit they deserve. They're veterans and very smart football players. Alaka is starting to draw some real looks from NFL scouts, by the way. More than anything else, Elko is just an outstanding defensive mind who knows exactly what an offense is trying to do to him, and quite frankly, he's just not going to let his defense give up much on the ground. Get used to it.

Quote:

Has Alabama's dominance ruined the SEC/college football? 

How? It's just a talking point for people like Kannell and Klatt use to garner attention and attempt to build up their personal brand. It hasn't impacted any of the other schools on the recruiting front, and for as great as Bama is, they have gone undefeated I think just once or maybe only twice in Saban's tenure, losing an SEC game nearly every season he's been in T-Town. They've also been dumped in two of the four playoffs and nearly lost to Georgia in a third. College football is fine, and the SEC is fine last I checked, despite what the Big 12 honks will shamelessly try to tell you. I mean, is there a more embarrassing group of shills than the folks like Klatt and the guy the Sooner fan posing as an objective national college football guy this week who went on Finebaum talking up Oklahoma? 

Quote:

How close in skill set/instant impact are Greg Little and Kenyon Green as high school seniors? Thanks for doing this. 

They're different players in that Little was a pure tackle all the way and Green could just as easily play tackle or guard. From a raw talent/athleticism standpoint, I think the two are very comparable. Pretty obvious five stars and 'early-entry NFL Draft pick if they have the right work ethic' type of guys since about their junior seasons of high school.

Quote:

Who's the key recruit left? 

If you made me say just one I'd go with Nakobe Dean, but even though he's visiting this weekend, I still think he's a major longshot. It might be someone like one of the JC corners or a pure pass-rusher like David Ugwoegbu.

Quote:

With the chatter of NFL expansion to Europe (still hearing it on the radio), do you think college football will follow by having a few choice college games played there as well? Not just Notre Dame or BC, but more prime out of conference matchups? 

Yes, I could definitely see that eventually happening, but not necessarily on a grand scale. Maybe teams like A&M, Texas, Bama or OU do it once every ten years or so. Just three or four games a season in early September or even late August, but that's about it. The problem is that in college football every single game means SO much to the careers of coaches and the trajectory of programs that not many are going to be excited about signing up for the variable that comes with traveling across the globe, playing in front of a half-empty stadium consisting of a bunch of foreign fans and seeing how 18-22 years old respond.

Quote:

What areas have we improved since the Clemson game, what areas have regressed? 

I really don't think the Aggies have regressed in any areas "since the Clemson game." They're better on both lines. Have gotten better and better against the run. The return game is better. They were bad against the deep and downfield passing game in that one and haven't shown much improvement in that regard, unfortunately... They're much better at running the football. Pass pro has been about the same, IMO. Do a decent job against some teams and struggle against the elite pass rushes. Return game has improved. Punting is still outstanding and kicking is unfair to judge because you went from a senior All-SEC candidate to a true freshman. Tight end and fullback blocking is MUCH better. Trayveon has gotten better and better as the season has gone on. Mond obviously hasn't had that kind of game since then, and the receivers haven't either, but I don't think that means they've regressed. They overachieved for that one night at home early in the season and did so against a lot of zone defense. Teams have adjusted and made the Ags beat a lot more man than they saw in that game, and it's definitely not yet a strength. Are they better in the passing game now than they were in September in general? Probably so, but I don't think they've necessarily made huge strides there. Still, I don't think they've regressed because they were never the type of offense that was regularly going to go for 500 yards against an elite defense, and so many of those plays were more of a flash of guys like Mond and his pass-catchers could be at their absolute best. You'd never ever complain about a performance like that, and it almost led to a season- and even program-defining win, but it certainly led to expectations for year one soaring through the roof almost immediately.

Quote:

Elko leaves after which season?
A. 2019
B. 2020
C. 2021
D. 2022

Why do we have to play this game? The guy has been here for like 45 minutes and I'm constantly asked when he's leaving. It doesn't help recruiting for a fan base to constantly be thinking this way. I'm serious about that. IMO, he's here at least three years and maybe four. Who knows, he may stick around six. Believe it or not, it's happened where great coordinators stay somewhere more than a couple of seasons.

Quote:

Predict our starting defensive front seven next year. 

Wow, see a couple of questions below. That one is REALLY tough because there are so many variables. I'll go Tyree Johnson-Justin Madubuike-Jayden Peevy-Bobby Brown when the Ags go heavy, but I think DeMarvin Leal cracks the lineup at some point as a true freshman. So many other combinations I could see shaking out with so much raw talent this year when it comes to the newcomers (true freshmen and Diallo) and some real studs coming in like Leal, Mowry and possibly Ugwoegbu and/or Hunter (to name a few).

Quote:

How close was Jimbo to pulling Mond? 

Probably not as close as even he made it seem right after the game. But close enough. If Kellen had gone back out there and turned the ball over again then I think absolutely it would've happened, but he didn't. Instead he led the Aggies on long touchdown drives and made a couple of terrific throws, so that's a long way from failing and being taken out, right? Where it would've been interesting would have been a quick three-and-out with Mond missing a read or an open receiver. He may not have survived that one either because it was really getting down to crunch time there. Sticking with him proved to be the right play for not only that particular game but also the season, IMO. It's so late in the year that it would be pretty disruptive to make a change at that position. You only make it if your QB is playing so poorly that you're in real jeopardy of losing a game and KNOW you'd have a better chance of winning that particular game with QB2.

Quote:

Who is the best first-year coach of the year not named Jimbo? 

Well let me start by saying coaches who take over where a guy wasn't fired are at an advantage, as are coaches who are simply promoted from within. Even without factoring that in, I'd say maybe Mullen at Florida. Pruitt has made a slight run, but they were SO bad at the outset it negates their two big wins to a large degree. Obviously Heupel at UCF but they play NO ONE and have the most talent every time they take the field.

Quote:

For years we seem to give up huge sweep & screen gains on our right side, even with Myles out there. Scheme, players problem, or my imagination? 

I think it's your imagination in that it just happens to everyone save maybe a small handful of defenses over the course of just about any game. Now, it happened a TON in recent seasons under Snides (and then even Chavis), and I do think when it happens with that degree of regularity it has to do with the scheme or style of play. In all honesty, we haven't seen very much of that at all this year, and the Ags have actually done a nice job against the quick passing and screen game as well. For the most part, where they're giving up chunk plays is in the downfield passing game, and the majority of those are contested, but the DBs just aren't making plays on the ball and finishing.

Quote:

What do you hear about some of the guys who are redshirting up front: Tank, Matthews, Clement, Blanton on the OL, and Tyree Wilson and Diallo on the DL? 

Hearing VERY good things about Matthews. Colten Blanton is going to be a very interesting one to watch as he fills out that frame. Tyree Wilson has a chance to be special off the edge, but he's still pretty raw. Further along than I expected though. I'm VERY interested to see how things shake out at end next year with Landis and Keke gone but Clemons returning. Not to mention guys like Wilson, Jeremiah Martin, Max Wright and Tyree Johnson (plus DeMarvin Leal and Braedon Mowry), and also seeing if Bobby Brown makes the full-time move inside or is used in the same way Kingsley has been this fall. As for Diallo, he's one of the tougher guys on the team to block at times in practice. Year one has been a learning experience for a guy who didn't even play football in high school and is coming out of the JC ranks, but he has folks VERY excited about what he'll be able to do over the next two seasons.

Quote:

What is your takeaway from Manziel's first season in the CFL and his NFL prospects now that he has finished year 1 of the required 2 years in the CFL? I would imagine his off the field behavior would be a large factor in NFL teams considering him, and even though he didn't get much playing time this year, he has made great strides off the field. 

He has made great strides off the field, no question about it. I'm happy for him, and it's just good to see him as a part of a team, happily married and playing the game he loves again. The key now is the off-season. It's a long one. He'll need a little break to recharge back home in Cali, but if he REALLY devotes himself to returning to form beginning after the New Year, I think he could have the type of season in 2019 that catches the attention of an NFL team or three. If not, then he can play for several years as a starting QB in Canada and make some good money playing football for six months out of the year well into his 30s. Not bad work if you can get it.

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Quote:

What's your favorite steakhouse? 

In town, Wade at the Republic runs an outstanding operation and the food is second to none. Absolutely cannot wait until the new one opens up next month. It'll be a great spot for food, libations and hanging out. Porter's is a regular stop as well. I love that entire Century Square area... especially this time of year. In general, I've always felt like Pappas Bros does as good a steak as any of the big-name spots. In Dallas, I'm a big fan of Al Beirnat's, and I know you're not 'cool' in Dallas if you're not at Nick & Sam's or in Houston and not at Mastro's, and they're both worth it. Had a really good one in Miami at Prime 112 but have had better.

Quote:

Hey Billy, would love to get your thoughts on the Zach Smith scorched-earth attack on the Hermans...is there a fire storm brewing in the heart of texass?

I'll get back to this one shortly. Want to get it in the thread now so you guys don't have to wait.

Quote:

Will you be married in the next 3 years? 

Well if we're just playing the odds here, I'd have to say it's not likely. If I am great, I'd love to find that special woman, but if I'm not it's not the end of the world for me. I'm pretty content with where things are at now, even though everyone else seems to spend an inordinate amount of time wondering about it. The only one who really has a fair reason to complain is my mom.

Quote:

What's your perfect plate of Thanksgiving food? 

About a pound of stuffing. Multiple types of stuffing. Just a little turkey but topped with a lot of really good brown gravy. Green beans. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and some baked ham that I can tear up and put into those little fresh baked rolls (maybe even with a scoop of mashed potatoes IN them), topped off with a slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top.

Quote:

Wrestling match between Petrino, Hugh Freeze, Herman and Briles with a pig...who wins? 

Not sure where the pig comes in, but let's just say between that group... I'd say Herman wins if a sledgehammer is involved, Petrino if they're battling it out on Harleys, Freeze if said wrestling match also included escorts and Briles... well, actually, I think Briles would knock all of those fools out. I remember back when the Ags hired Sumlin someone was actively pushing Briles to me behind the scenes (as if I had any real pull), and two of my friends who were also close with Art were both citing the fact that he could bench press some ungodly amount of weight and that he "goes in the weight room and squats with the players" as a huge selling point. But seriously though, Art in a landslide, but don't tell that to Hulk Herman.

Quote:

Do you think EA Sports will ever resurrect the NCAA Football game?

Unfortunately no and it's because of the whole climate of the whole 'players should or shouldn't be paid' debate. Until that's resolved, I don't think the NCAA would touch it as far as licensing it, and too many players would try to sue. That's sadly the world we live in today. A shame because that game was THE game we'd play in college. Once beat my roommates so soundly and so repeatedly that one got in his truck, turned on 'All Along the Watchtower' and repeatedly ran over the controller. I think I threw our doormat on the other roomie after a particularly sound beating. Dante Hall and I had a longstanding rivalry and myself, Bumgardner and Rich Coady were probably all better than Dan Campbell, and well, let's just say DC doesn't handle losing very well, so we had a house secret that we'd occasionally throw a game here or there so the mood was better at dinner or when we were pre-gaming before going out.

Quote:

Since Dalton sucks at picking questions, can I have his job? 

Seriously though. But I think I'm being too mean to Dalton. I've got to compliment him soon. Maybe when the finally does a good job of picking questions.

Quote:

Favorite holiday? 

Thanksgiving I suppose. I like the food, fam and the football. Christmas is a close second. Never been a huge New Year's Eve guy because it just takes too much planning to get everyone on the same page, and Valentine's Day is the day before my birthday so it pales in comparison. Fourth of July? Probably comes in at No. 3. 

Combating the Propaganda Minister. 

1. . The LSU game won't be a game. And Fisher is gonna lose to Coach Fried Gumbo. You've simply replaced having Texas as your dadd with LSU and Bama. Two for the price of one. 

2. You don't dominate the LOS when you lead the league in sacks given up "by a wide margin" Your OL is ass my dude. The DL is pretty good. But still not nor ever will be "dominate"

3. O'neal is fast and big and cover ground.. but isn't a blaze? Wut?... Leon is slow as shit for a high 4* safety.

4. Trayveon is gone. 

5. Next-level hype with Mack? He's still fat and slow. For a 5* DT that hasn't had 100 tackles yet in 4 years. He's a bust. 

6. We haven't really regressed in any area... oh but wait we still can't cover the deep ball. So still not a regression... okay.. you still suck at it so.... yeah... 

7. Perfect T-day is a pound of stuffing? Not really a surprise there you're full of stuffing yourself you fat, basic, white bitch. 

8. Tom... lol Tom still leaving rent free in your head. Don't forget that you wanted him to be your coach circa 2015/2016.

In Conclusion: You've fired the best coach in your history reset the coaching pay market (again). For late era Mack Brown. Congrats on the storied streak of going 7-5, 8-4 in your shiny new sec for perpetuity. 

Edited by theaveragejon
  • Like 6

Spoiler

Ryan Brauninger

9:25p

Staff

First, we are aware of what is out there regarding Eastern Arizona College CB Dreshun Miller flipping to the Aggies. Jason and I have reached to multiple sources, and I can say that those familiar with LSU recruiting are thinking a decommitment from the Tigers is possible (one source even said likely). Now, what I'm not prepared to say after running things down is that there is an impending immediate flip about to happen. It sounds like a 50/50 proposition at this point, and I do not believe anything has been communicated from Miller's camp to the Aggie staff. It is definitely something to watch throughout the night and in to tomorrow. There's smoke there, no doubt. 

A&M commit Jeffery Carter did not get into town until early today, but he did have a chance to spend some quality, sit down time with various members of the A&M staff, including Leah Knight and Scott Woodward. Alabama is making a serious push for Carter down the stretch. We'll have more on Scooby tomorrow after he wraps up his visit. 

3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Ryan Brauninger

9:25p

Staff

A&M commit Jeffery Carter did not get into town until early today, but he did have a chance to spend some quality, sit down time with various members of the A&M staff, including Leah Knight and Scott Woodward. Alabama is making a serious push for Carter down the stretch. We'll have more on Scooby tomorrow after he wraps up his visit. 

blow jobs and benjamins?

Damon Sayles: 4-star CB Marcus Banks discusses return to 'electric' Kyle Field

Houston 4-star cornerback Marcus Banks had an amazing time in College Station last weekend, as he watched Texas A&M defeat Ole Miss in the Aggies' first home game in over a month. The Spring Dekaney standout enjoyed his time so much last weekend that he decided to return to College Station this weekend to see the Aggies face UAB. It was Texas A&M's Senior Night, and Banks was part of the 97,584 at Kyle Field to see the Aggies top UAB, 41-20. He was part of a crowd of more than 102,000 for the Ole Miss game, and regardless of the attendance count, one thing remains clear for Banks: Kyle Field will always bring the energy. "It's electric. The fans never stop cheering," Banks said. "It's one of the loudest stadiums and one of the biggest in the nation, so that speaks for itself."

Banks making back-to-back trips to College Station has to make Aggie fans smile. He is one of the primary remaining targets in the 2019 class after decommitting from LSU on Oct. 16, and with the recent decommitment of cornerback Bobby Wolfe, the Aggies would love to see the 6-foot, 190-pound shutdown defender added to the 2019 class -- a class that already has commitments from 4-star cornerbacks Erick Young and Jeffery Carter and 4-star safeties Brian Williams and Demani Richardson.

Texas A&M has the nation's No. 2 2019 class, and cornerbacks coach Maurice Linguist and defensive coordinator Mike Elko are doing all they can to win Banks over. Currently, Banks' Crystal Ball predictions collectively favor Texas A&M heavily over Alabama, but since his decommitment from LSU, six predictions have been made -- three for the Aggies and three for Alabama.

Banks took an official visit to Texas A&M the weekend of April 27 and an official to Alabama the weekend of Sept. 22. Additionally, he has scheduled official visits to Florida State (weekend of Nov. 30) and Florida (weekend of Dec. 7). He will announce his commitment Jan. 5 at the All-American Bowl in San Antonio. Still, having Banks make consecutive trips to Texas A&M has to make fans feel good about where he possibly is leaning. It also helped to get a big win against a team ranked No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. "It was fun to see them get the win at home," Banks said.

Banks is ranked the nation's No. 14 cornerback and No. 124 player overall in the 2019 class, according to 247Sports. He is ranked the No. 18 player in the state of Texas.