Happy 40th, MTV

Francisco 2.0

I thought all those reality shows were unscripted?  I thought that was their schtick?  I dunno, I didn't get cable until '96 or so.  

We did have "Friday Night Videos" with the pencil intro for a few years.  That was something...is that anything?  

Edited by Lobo

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought all those reality shows were unscripted?  I thought that was their schtick?  I dunno, I didn't get cable until '96 or so.  

We did have "Friday Night Videos" with the pencil intro for a few years.  That was something...is that anything?  

It was no Up All Night.

RelievedGrandioseKillerwhale-size_restri

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Had a serious thing for Martha Quinn

Somewhere I’ve got an autographed photo of Nina Blackwood that I got at a promo event at a Mishawaka record store before an REO Speedwagon show at Notre Dame.  There are also nude photos of her out there from back before she bleached her hair and got a job as an MTV VJ.

There was a time when I was young and foolish and thought that MTV was one of the greatest things ever, that it was the future of popular music, and that maybe I’d like to pursue a career producing music videos. Later I realized that it was actually really bad for music. And then they thrust reality tv into the mainstream and that’s been bad for tv and even worse for our culture. In retrospect, I think we would’ve been better off if MTV had never existed. 

I actually thought that MTV show "Austin Stories" was decent.  It was right after I finally got cable and was living in Austin at the time.  Is there any way to rewatch that show?  You can't stream it anywhere.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I actually thought that MTV show "Austin Stories" was decent.  It was right after I finally got cable and was living in Austin at the time.  Is there any way to rewatch that show?  You can't stream it anywhere.  

it says all episodes.. but it look like a episode 6 is only a partial.

See youtube link below.

(that Austin skyline!)

Edited by yoladu

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I enjoyed that show and couldn't find the entire series anywhere to watch online. In other MTV news, I recently googled Jesse Camp and was pleasantly surprised to see that he is still alive. 

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I didn't even know it was still around

Apparently, there are 6 MTV channels now, and they own CMT as well.  I honestly haven't watched MTV since around 95 or so.

They also have something called MTV Classic, which shows only music videos from the 80's-through 2010 or so.  Our tv provider carries this channel, and this channel offers blocks (80's, 90's, etc).  It's a diversion from time to time.

On 8/2/2021 at 10:52 AM, South Austin said:

I was bitching about it in my late teens and early 20s when it started sucking around the mid 1990s.  

So you were angry that you aged out of the audience the programming was intended for? Were you also angry at nickelodeon? 

1 hour ago, seven said:

So you were angry that you aged out of the audience the programming was intended for? Were you also angry at nickelodeon? 

Again, username checks out. It’s a childish response to accuse someone of being “angry” for losing interest in something. I’ve never been angry at MTV. I just grew up. I came to grips with the fact that music is an aural medium and trying to turn it into a visual medium was a bad idea. It’s not that coupling visuals with the music is bad in and of itself. I’ll never forget the first time I saw the movie Help! I’ve dropped acid and watched Yellow Submarine and The Wall. And The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. But what MTV did was to force artists to be selected and cultivated with the visual image in mind before the aural one. The look took precedence over the sound. That was bad for music. I’m not angry about it. I took part in it. But that’s what happened. It’s just an historical fact.

MTV’s comedy spinoff Ha! and HBO’s Comedy Channel merged to form Comedy Central and that was a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Again, username checks out. It’s a childish response to accuse someone of being “angry” for losing interest in something. I’ve never been angry at MTV. I just grew up. I came to grips with the fact that music is an aural medium and trying to turn it into a visual medium was a bad idea. It’s not that coupling visuals with the music is bad in and of itself. I’ll never forget the first time I saw the movie Help! I’ve dropped acid and watched Yellow Submarine and The Wall. And The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. But what MTV did was to force artists to be selected and cultivated with the visual image in mind before the aural one. The look took precedence over the sound. That was bad for music. I’m not angry about it. I took part in it. But that’s what happened. It’s just an historical fact.

MTV’s comedy spinoff Ha! and HBO’s Comedy Channel merged to form Comedy Central and that was a good thing. 

None of my posts have been about you, I apologize that you thought they were.