So TTU finally gets thier Vet School?

Orange&White

this is a good deal I hope The State of Texas steps up with the proper funding as they should and does not force Amarillo to fund most of the start up on their own

with the money that the north Texas state system and the A&M system are pissing away around the DFW metromess on unneeded crap and around the College Station and South Texas area it is pretty pathetic that the state has not funded this better while stopping A&M and north Texas state especially from shitting away money on things that are simply not needed and that are a total waste

while I am generally not in favor of the "make money" aspect of a public university the good thing about this for Tech and Texas and the Amarillo area is there are 30 vet medicine programs in the USA and that includes two in Alabama, Tennessee and Ca

the places that do not have a vet medicine program are New Mexico (that has an agreement with OkState), Utah (that has an agreement with WSU), Nebraska (that I think has something worked out with either ISU or KSU or both), Arkansas, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and North and South Dakota in the western US.....Arizona has one, but it is not at AU it is private

in the east Kentucky, South Carolina, West Virginia, NJ, VT, DE, NH, Maine, CT,  and RI plus Alaska and Hawaii do not as well and Maryland and Virginia share theirs in the 30 listed above 

so I think there will be a real appeal for students from New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nebraska and even Utah and Arizona to consider the Texas Tech school

and possibly even from California considering their massive population, the difficulty of UC Davis for admissions and their second school is private

I think that Kentucky and WVU (because of the Big 12 connection) might have applicants

so Tech will have a number of states to choose top students from and many of them have animal agriculture as a major economic focus, they are rural areas (shit Amarillo will be the "big city" to many of them) and those places either do not have Vet schools or they have small private ones or working agreements with other schools that are some distance away

I don't think nearly as many students are leaving Texas to Nebraska as in the past, but a shit ton leave to Arkansas and this is a chance to draw them back with a graduate/professional program not offered by Arkansas and a chance to lure back some of the ones that go over to the New Mexico universities

Texas has the population, industry and economy to support this school and with the demand that is there from other states the ability to round out the program and make it more economically viable with some better quality students paying out of state tuition so I am glad Texas Tech and Amarillo stepped up and got this done and hopefully The State of Texas will fund it properly now that Amarillo has made it happen to start and it will be an attractive program

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

aggy’s middling vet program is going to be exposed. They’ve been able to hide its performance by being the only one in the state. I give tech 5 years before they outrank aggy.

Is their vet program middling? 

Glad to see Tech get a vet school.

2 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Is their vet program middling? 

Glad to see Tech get a vet school.

I looked it up once and out of the 30-odd vet schools, aggy was like 12th. Pretty much the definition of middling.

Edited by CooterBrown

Nebraska has a 2+2 deal with Iowa State now, but a lot still go to K-State because it is close and pretty much every large animal Vet in the state is a KSU alum anyway so it makes sense with networking. A Tech school would probably draw Nebraskan's that want to work in a feedlot setting if it is a better deal than KSU. 

8 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Nebraska has a 2+2 deal with Iowa State now, but a lot still go to K-State because it is close and pretty much every large animal Vet in the state is a KSU alum anyway so it makes sense with networking. A Tech school would probably draw Nebraskan's that want to work in a feedlot setting if it is a better deal than KSU. 

Feedlot setting? Vic's gonna have a new career.

34 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I looked it up once and out of the 30-odd vet schools, aggy was like 12th. Pretty much the definition of middling.

I'd call that slightly above average.  Right in that meaty part of the curve.  Not showing off, not falling behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I know anecdotal evidence sucks, but our main vet is an A&M grad, and he's the fucking best.  He (and his office) have been taking care of our dogs for nearly 20 years and I have absolute unconditional trust in him.  He has had a couple of other A&M grads working in the office, and they've been excellent, and also a couple of non-A&M grads who have been great, and I think that also reflects extremely well on him.

The biggest problem with the A&M vet school is the same problem that pervades all A&M graduate programs -- they give (large to huge) preference to A&M undergrads in admission decisions.  It's not as bad as their MSF or LERE programs which formally restricted their admissions to A&M undergrads at one point, but when my daughter was about 10 and wanting to be a vet, my closest A&M friend told me, "She needs to go to A&M for undergrad, because the A&M vet school will turn down UT grads with a 4.0 in a pre-vet track."

15 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

What's the timeline for this?  My daughter is only 10 but she'll answer the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question with "veterinarian".  And I couldn't take her going to aggy if this holds up.

Lol, see the above post -- I was there once, and had the exact same anxiety.

Fortunately, she decided that she couldn't bear putting an animal to sleep, and decided she wanted to be an engineer.

Good for Tech and I hope they kick aggy ass. It's stupid that an agricultural powerhouse the size of Texas only has one vet school. I wonder how this will affect LSU and Miss St's schools. My FIL says that's where most of the Texas kids that don't get into aggy end up. 

Similar to Beau my vet is an aggie and hes outstanding. My family have been taking our animals to him for nearly 40 years.   I dont trust anyone else.

I would drive my dog 2hours to see him.  However hes is close to retiring and the aggys hes brought in ive been less than impressed with. Im dreading his retirement

The more good vets you have to choose from the better of your family is.

I know anecdotal evidence sucks, but our main vet is an A&M grad, and he's the fucking best.  He (and his office) have been taking care of our dogs for nearly 20 years and I have absolute unconditional trust in him.  He has had a couple of other A&M grads working in the office, and they've been excellent, and also a couple of non-A&M grads who have been great, and I think that also reflects extremely well on him.
The biggest problem with the A&M vet school is the same problem that pervades all A&M graduate programs -- they give (large to huge) preference to A&M undergrads in admission decisions.  It's not as bad as their MSF or LERE programs which formally restricted their admissions to A&M undergrads at one point, but when my daughter was about 10 and wanting to be a vet, my closest A&M friend told me, "She needs to go to A&M for undergrad, because the A&M vet school will turn down UT grads with a 4.0 in a pre-vet track."
Pretty sure you aren't allowed to say nice things about Aggy on this board.

It's a start, but it isn't enough. Texas deserves more than 2 veterinary schools. I am happy for Texas Tech, but Amarillo alone isn't going to cut it for our state's needs. Ideally, there should be a veterinary school in El Paso (could be Texas Tech or UTEP), one in the Valley (maybe UT-RGV), and one in East Texas (UT Longview) in addition to the shitty one in College Station and the one to be constructed in Amarillo. In addition to your average bird-cat-dog vet, you need vets that take care of livestock, and large animal vets. Imagine how much more scholarly research that could be done with trained veterinarians? 

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It's a start, but it isn't enough. Texas deserves more than 2 veterinary schools. I am happy for Texas Tech, but Amarillo alone isn't going to cut it for our state's needs. Ideally, there should be a veterinary school in El Paso (could be Texas Tech or UTEP), one in the Valley (maybe UT-RGV), and one in East Texas (UT Longview) in addition to the shitty one in College Station and the one to be constructed in Amarillo. In addition to your average bird-cat-dog vet, you need vets that take care of livestock, and large animal vets. Imagine how much more scholarly research that could be done with trained veterinarians? 

the Texas Tech one pretty much covers what Texas needs

the reality is the "money" is small animals because people will pay about anything for fluffy and fido while a rancher that is looking at a per head (if they are very lucky) profit on a cow of $100 is not going to pay $110 or $150 to have a cow doctored up and forget it with sheep and goats those fucking things can die from the wind blowing sometimes and chicken producers and swine producers need a consulting vet, but still one of them can handle a lot of growers

if there was a desire to increase the research dollars flowing in then the answer would be to start comparative medicine programs at some of the existing UT Medical Schools.....in addition to the ability to still research traditional domesticated and livestock related diseases you can go for the more exotic research dollars like shit that people get from monkey fucking, gorilla eating, camel asshole licking, or goat fucking (A&M has the sheep thing wrapped up.....well not wrapped up because they like raw dog.....well raw sheep....but they are the experts in that shit)

the graduates from comparative medicine programs would have a much broader base of knowledge and many more avenues of employment and they would be doing much more research as graduate students Vs practical training

when my daughter was about 10 and wanting to be a vet, my closest A&M friend told me, "She needs to go to A&M for undergrad, because the A&M vet school will turn down UT grads with a 4.0 in a pre-vet track."

That is absolutely true because it happened to my sister back in the late 1970s. I use Mississippi vets whenever possible.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

My (limited) understanding is that the Tech vet school will specialize in large animals and livestock as opposed to the family pets. And if anyone doubts Tech's existing expertise in dealing with large animals and livestock, I invite them to watch this hilarious video.

What's the timeline for this?  My daughter is only 10 but she'll answer the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question with "veterinarian".  And I couldn't take her going to aggy if this holds up.
Had a conversation with my 13 year old several years back along those lines. Tried to start getting her excited about uc Davis, lol.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I was always surprised that aggy didn't partner up with the King Ranch and drop a vet school in South Texas 

there was a short period of time when A&M and the A&M System was somewhat supportive of the programs and universities they took over in south Texas specifically (not so much in other areas).....they still pretty much shit on Laredo, Texarkana, Commerce and others and they would still be shitting on West Texas A&M if they did not need to dump money up there to try and stop the Texas Tech vet program and if they did not have a large research and extension center up there

they moved a lot of their wildlife program focus to A&M Kingsville after the Klebergs gave a lot of money, but then after a while they had the programs be "in partnership" with College Station.....they still do a lot of Citrus research out of the facility that was associated with Kingsville, but much of that is actually in far south Texas at a USDA owned facility and many of the faculty they have there now are as much or more a part of College Station as they are Kingsville

hell College Station would not even let Kingsville have the Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy program even thought it is on their campus they had to make it be a part of the health science center and then about 5 years or so later College Station took over all of the HSC programs state wide (once it became clear UT Austin was getting a medical school)

they tried to fuck over their college of engineering by cutting the natural gas engineering program (petroleum) and that was just before the big boom in south Texas and Kingsville and the area politicians said enough and stopped that

shit the people in that area distrust them so much now that one of their politicians came out and talked about merging Kingsville and Corpus (similar to UT RGV) and everyone in the area shitted a brick because they do not trust not-so sharp to not fuck them over in the process......even though it would be a major benefit to them just like it is for UT RGV......of course the UT System is trying to build up their system schools to take pressure off of Austin while the A&M system is trying to compete with the university of phoenix for enrollment growth and total enrollment and wasting money on a juco at disaster city in College Station and trying to open a "branch campus" "under College Station" in McAllen

their system is a fucking disaster

Edited by ButtFumble