How excited are you about the SEC move?

TexArcher

How excited are you about the SEC move?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How excited are you about the SEC move?

• Bart Scott-level Can't Wait. Let's fucking go.
    • I like it, but I have some reservations.
    • Neutral. Meh. Whatever.
    • I don't like it. I would've preferred ____________.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:26 PM, jinx said:

One of my favorite memories was yelling Poooooor Aggies! in BCS after the 2003 game. Going to College Station and humiliating the Aggies is something every Longhorn should experience.

a) That is completely untrue, and being in the SEC will allow us to schedule tougher OOC, because SEC treatment means good losses don't hurt as bad

b) I've been to numerous SEC games, and the only times I remember hearing this chant was 2008 SEC title game, 2008 National Title Game, 2019 Sugar Bowl (by me and all of the Texas fans). Sure it happens, but it isn't an every game type of thing.

c) not gonna argue this one, because it is kinda true. I hope we don't adopt that mentality.

d) Cheating had a part, but cheating also killed the SWC and none of those cheaters gained from it. The main reason it is the premier conference is because it has been forward looking and innovative since adding Arky and SC in 91 and playing the first conference championship ever. The SEC has elevated that spot by branding themselves as the best conference and having it repeated by ESPN long enough that it actually came true.

The flip side to this coin is the fact that everyone on the $9.95 board wants us to join the cheating party, and I agree to an extent. We now have the leadership bold enough to move us into that conference, and I doubt we are doing this eyes wide shut. We just need to figure out the new landscape and maximize our brand potential. Being in the SEC will be the way we get back to the top. 

CSB:

I was sitting in the “Zone” for this game with 6 aggy friends. I was the only Burnt Orange for 10 rows or so. The aggy guy in front of me had a slight English accent and his lady had the full English accent. He and I talked before the game and said that he brought his girlfriend over from London to see his beloved aggy beat Texas. I replied “Man, you came all the way to BCS from London? You should have picked a different game. This is going to be over quickly.” The aggy band kicks up the “war hymn” and I start swaying with my friends and laughing my ass off. Guy turns around and asks me what I’m doing, and I reply, “I’m just trying to make my friends laugh and enjoy this experience because everyone around me will be leaving by the 3rd quarter and you came thousands of miles to do so.” 

That TE slip TD and Ced B posing for a photo in the end zone of one of many TDs that day were glorious, but not as glorious as watching that guy sigh and get up to leave in the 3rd quarter with his girl. 🤣 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/9/2021 at 4:41 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Thought we already had one of these?...

I'll be frank, it's the association with a bunch of fucking rednecks that has me not feeling this. The rest I get but god damn... we'll be surrounded by fucking rednecks. 

How is that any different from our normal life living in Texas? 

I know our university overall isn't nearly as redneck as many others in the state but at the core of it Texas is full of rednecks

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, BachelorTrek said:

I'm surprised the SEC just doesn't play everyone in the SWAC and call it a season for their needed OOC blowout scrimmage-like "games" each year.

( SWAC = Southwestern Athletic Conference: consists of Prairie View aggy, Grambling State, Texas Southern [aka tsu], Southern, Alabama aggy, Alabama State, Jackson State, Mississippi Valley State, Alcorn State, and Arkansas-Pine Bluff )

Isn't Deion coaching one of those teams and acting like his usual complete ass self while doing so? 

Yeah, let's bring him in and humiliate his pompous ass. I'd love to see that.  

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'll just be excited to have an awesome home game matchup in conference for once. This year's home slate is terrible all the way around. 

I'll also be excited for a road trip to Florida. 

Ever been to Gainesville? I toured it back in '87 when considering UF and it's a more humid, FL version of Collie Station. Just a college town in BFE and you're 1.5-2 hours from the beach.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'll just be excited to have an awesome home game matchup in conference for once. This year's home slate is terrible all the way around. 

I'll also be excited for a road trip to Florida. 

Yep so in a given year, we could have:

aggy

Pig

Thief

LSU

Bama

Georgia

5 of those games would absolutely be game of the years on our schedule almost any year.

48 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Ever been to Gainesville? I toured it back in '87 when considering UF and it's a more humid, FL version of Collie Station. Just a college town in BFE and you're 1.5-2 hours from the beach.

Global warming has made it much better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

I know our university overall isn't nearly as redneck as many others in the state but at the core of it Texas is full of rednecks

It's almost like y'all don't really know anything about the southeast. Yes, the match ups are appetizing. The people and fans....

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Different kinda redneck over there.

Edited by wood

54 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It's almost like y'all don't really know anything about the southeast. Yes, the match ups are appetizing. The people and fans....

Yep. Florida/Alabama/Mississippi redneck is a whole 'nother ballgame. I was born in Pensacola in the Florida panhandle - basically South Alabama. I got out as quick as I could. Thank God.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

Lexington is underrated and features the horse races at Keeneland and bourbon tours nearby. Pretty cool trip, especially after the leaves change.

Very true.  My daughter (no pics) lives in Lexington.  Always have fun visiting there.  Restaurant and bar scene are improving.  Reminds me a little of Austin in 1970's and 1980's.  About same size as Austin was back then (350k). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Yeah Gainesville sucks for sure, but it's a two hour drive from Caliente Resort which the wife and I love so we'd make a week of it there and drive up for the game before flying back from Tampa. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, wood said:

Different kinda redneck over there.

It is but it's not like I'll be socializing with them at any time. I want the good matchups on Saturdays. The only one I'll miss is Ok St, even though Stillwater is a tiny college town I enjoy the gamedays there. I wish we were on the road there this year I'd go for sure. 

Edited by Hermanator

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It is but it's not like I'll be socializing with them at any time. I want the good matchups on Saturdays. The only one I'll miss is Ok St, even though Stillwater is a tiny college town I enjoy the gamedays there. I wish we were on the road there this year I'd go for sure. 

Oh, I agree. I'm very excited for the switch and the better games. The Big 12 can eabod and diaf. Yeah, and Fuck Mack Brown, and Fuck Art Briles, and Fuck aggy too while we're at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

also appetizing?

Counterpoint: Southeastern peeps that are shitty get to leave and go back to their "homes" and we don't have to sit here in Texas and listen to them bleat on and on, except for aggy, but they bleat on and on regardless of location. Then if you go to the away games, you get to leave after the games are played. If they talk shit it's from far away and easy to remove oneself from the conversation. In the Big XII, BU/TECH/TCU are like the relatives that live next door to you in their double wide and never stop talking.

Think of it like visiting family for the holidays. If they come to you, there is a designated leave time and if you go to them it's the same thing. We got to see each other, now go away and I'll see you in a few months/year.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Droopy said:

CSB:

I was sitting in the “Zone” for this game with 6 aggy friends. I was the only Burnt Orange for 10 rows or so. The aggy guy in front of me had a slight English accent and his lady had the full English accent. He and I talked before the game and said that he brought his girlfriend over from London to see his beloved aggy beat Texas. I replied “Man, you came all the way to BCS from London? You should have picked a different game. This is going to be over quickly.” The aggy band kicks up the “war hymn” and I start swaying with my friends and laughing my ass off. Guy turns around and asks me what I’m doing, and I reply, “I’m just trying to make my friends laugh and enjoy this experience because everyone around me will be leaving by the 3rd quarter and you came thousands of miles to do so.” 

That TE slip TD and Ced B posing for a photo in the end zone of one of many TDs that day were glorious, but not as glorious as watching that guy sigh and get up to leave in the 3rd quarter with his girl. 🤣 🤘🏼

I was up in the Texas Section in the endzone nose bleeds. When we scored the first TD a bunch of people starting pulling out keys and jingling them. It got more pronounced with every TD. Pooooooor Aggies started raining down as they started filing out of the stadium (which legend holds they never actually do).

It was glorious, and every Longhorn should get to experience it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tomatillo said:

Nashville is a big city to explore over a weekend. UF and SoCar would be nice if you have the time to stay at a beach and drive 1.5-2 hours to the game. UGA is close to Atlanta, and you can stay there for a night or two before driving in for the game. Athens is a great college town, but just one day there should suffice. If you stay there Fri, you can check out the free campus botanical gardens and art museum, then have a nice dinner at any of the quality restaurants in the area (may need to make reservations at some several weeks in advance for a Gameday weekend.) Bars are never-ending downtown if that's what you're looking for. 

For Ole Miss, you can stay in Memphis and drive to Oxford for Gameday and same with LSU and New Orleans. 

Lexington is underrated and features the horse races at Keeneland and bourbon tours nearby. Pretty cool trip, especially after the leaves change. Tenn has mountain towns in the Great Smokeys nearby. Nice views and a peaceful getaway if you like mountains and wilderness. 

I've only been to Lexington once and it was for business, but I was shocked by how nice the town and surrounding areas were. Lots of rich people and lots of horses. I will go back, and have heard great things about the whiskey tours.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jinx said:

I was up in the Texas Section in the endzone nose bleeds. When we scored the first TD a bunch of people starting pulling out keys and jingling them. It got more pronounced with every TD. Pooooooor Aggies started raining down as they started filing out of the stadium (which legend holds they never actually do).

It was glorious, and every Longhorn should get to experience it.

Agreed. Walking out of that stadium with the win hearing "Poooooooooor Aggies" is like finishing dinner someone else paid for while being handed a glass with two fingers of Macallan 15. Perfect.

The tailgate experience before the game was so much fun, because I freakin' knew (had a great feeling, plus their D sucked at the time) we were going to win that game. The game started with Reggie "The Real Deal" McNeil proclaiming that this was his first start against Texas, only to see Dustin Long trot out for their first series. David Thomas got matched up with a slow LB and it was 7-0 within the first 3 mins of the game. Then El Ced (RIP) ran down their throats for the rest of it and it was all but over. Got back to the tailgate and said nothing to everyone who were sitting, sad, next to a radio listening to Dave while I opened a beer and smiled. My friend looks at me and says, "I don't like it when you're happy."

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm a UGA fan and I totally get it. We played OU in the Rose Bowl and I don't think we chanted SEC at all. Obviously, we didn't do it at the 2018 Sugar Bowl either. That is more for the Ala/Aub fans when they beat someone in the CapOne/Outback Bowl. Not sure if anyone else does it anymore, though it was done fairly often when the Peach Bowl was SEC vs ACC and you had teams going up against the Clemson's and GT's of the world who talk all kinds of garbage about our league. 
What UT fans should understand is most SEC schools are not stereotypical Deep South people and, frankly, most of us try to distance ourselves from those generalizations as much as possible. Here's a quick rundown for you of SEC fans, towns, schools, etc. ....

EAST
UGA - Athens is basically in metro Atlanta now, and you will get more of a metro vibe in Athens than country, by far. Athens is typically considered one of the top college towns the country and has a college music scene rivaled by few, namely ... Austin. ND fans took out an ad in the Athens paper to acknowledge how hospitable our fans were and to thank us for being so welcoming. Our rivals will trash our fanbase, but that is how things work. The ND's, Ok State's, Colorado's, Boise St's and UNC fans have had nothing but good things to say about our fans. 
UF is a different world entirely from the Deep South for the most part. The Swamp is definitely very hostile though. 
UK is largely an out of state student body with a huge Ohio/Penn/Ill presence. A decent amount of Nashville and Atlanta kids go there as well. Bigtime bourbon and horse racing scene in Lexington and that area of the commonwealth. It's an underrated road trip, especially if Keeneland is open. 
Tenn has a strong draw to metro Nashville as well and is a fairly popular choice for metro Atlanta kids. Cool stadium to win in and very close to a lot of mountain retreats. Their fans are pretty friendly, even to rivals. 
SoCar is 1.5 hours from the beaches and draws a ton of kids form the Northeast. You'll find more kids there from NJ than Alabama, for example. A lot from metro Atlanta, Charlotte and Florida as well. Not an overly aggressive fanbase and close to Charleston and the coast, so it can be a nice roadtrip for those with a few days to vacation. Columbia is okay, but tends to be hotter and more humid than you. might think and is fairly average for a town of its size.
Vandy is one of the nation's top 25 universities with students from everywhere. Nashville is a fun city to visit if you haven't been there. A lot less country than you might imagine. 
Mizzou - Texas people are probably more familiar with the Mizzou crowd than I am, but it is far from southern. 

WEST
Ala/Aub - Basically the same crowd, believe it or not. They are both around 2/3 out of state students with a ton from the north and a ton from metro Atlanta and Florida. They have surprising amount from large northern metro areas. Both try to recruit students aggressively from wealthy areas of said cities and are known for giving partial 'ships for pretty much anyone with a decent test score. Both fanbases carry shakers around like some sort of weapon and both think they have the market cornered on "class". I beg to differ. They have been more violent incidences with Ala fans than all other teams combined. They are nuts. Aub fans are not as violent, but tend to be out of touch with reality when it comes to their place in CFB and how good they should expect to be. You can get into an argument with an Aub fan very easily. 
As far as the towns, Aub is better than its rep and Tusca is worse. Neither is anything special and neither are the stadiums. 
Ole Miss - Traditionally the school for the wealthy from Memphis or New Orleans, they are now in the mix for the same kids as Ala/Aub. I didn't hear of anyone going to Ole Miss from metro Atlanta 20 years ago, now they are a popular choice. Oxford is the second-best college town in the SEC. The Grove is a must-see, as is the talent. Solid road trip and is fairly close to Memphis for flights and/or accommodations. The red jerseys and powder blue helmets are the second-best look in the league.
Miss St - Don't really know much about their students, but they definitely go after kids from Texas and Atlanta. More of a Missipp school than Ole Miss. I've a lot of derisive remarks about Starkville, but it is what it is. They don't pretend to be anything they aren't. It's a small town and the pastures literally run up against the stadium grounds. Not much Gameday traffic and fairly low-key environment. Also, beware the cowbells! 
LSU - Obviously very Louisiana, but they have huge presence in Houston as many of you may know. Their fans are super vocal and you'll find some who are aggressive and belligerent and others who are your best friend almost immediately. For the serious road tripper, this trip is a must. Stadium is as raucous as any in the country. BR isn't much, but the tailgating is. 
Arkansas/A&M - Again, you guys know more about them than I do. 

That said, you will definitely run up against some good ole boys at some of these places, but nothing you can't avoid/ignore. Don't worry so much about the SEC chant. Once UT is in the league, there will be no reason to chant it at your fans .... 

whitewater rafting in East Tennessee is a must. Pigeon river is not the Ocoee but it is closer and still a lot of fun.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Droopy said:

One of my favorite memories was yelling Poooooor Aggies! in BCS after the 2003 game. Going to College Station and humiliating the Aggies is something every Longhorn should experience.

a) That is completely untrue, and being in the SEC will allow us to schedule tougher OOC, because SEC treatment means good losses don't hurt as bad

good losses??? GOOD LOSSES?????....The fuck is this?...Good loss and bad pussy!....no such damned thing!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, petscii said:

From a strictly baseball point of view I would have preferred the pac X as well.  I also live in the PNW.  Having said that the SEC makes total $en$e.

I look forward to adding the new blood into conference play and having some mix and rotation from year to year in baseball.

The only downside is that instead of going west for opponents, we can now add baylor and the other big XII schools to the non conference baseball schedule. 

This move is a step down for baseball and especially basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:00 AM, RollLeft said:

I think its an overrated conference that is successful because the majority of its customer base is a bunch of mouth breathing morons who can't help but live by the creed "here take my money".  That said what i think don't make a shit nor is it important.  The marketing of the SEC has won out.  The recruits, players and media of today have crowned it the the conference of kings. It is the conference to play in.  

So, Texas should take its rightful place and seat at that table and do work.  As DKR said, "If there's gonna be a dance, you want to be invited and you dance with the girl that brought you."

Don't get me wrong I'm excited to play in the conference but for my own reasons.  First, I hope the chanting of SRC catches on.  The thought of winning a conference championship and then shitting on the conference by having a 100k of our fan base chant sRc, sRc, sRc makes me giddy.       

I am mostly this. I was never a believer in the SEC, then Saban happened and the SEC did in fact become the best conference in football. ESPN marketing and SEC coaches have sold the superior idea to recruits, and now year over year they are sending more and more kids to the NFL. As a result our recruiting has fallen off slightly, and we need to rectify it before it becomes too late to salvage. So moving to the conference perceived to be the best puts us back on level playing field with everyone else. However, I am not overly excited about being in the SEC as a school. There is a good chance it turns into the SWC's 1980s.

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I am mostly this. I was never a believer in the SEC, then Saban happened and the SEC did in fact become the best conference in football. ESPN marketing and SEC coaches have sold the superior idea to recruits, and now year over year they are sending more and more kids to the NFL. As a result our recruiting has fallen off slightly, and we need to rectify it before it becomes too late to salvage. So moving to the conference perceived to be the best puts us back on level playing field with everyone else. However, I am not overly excited about being in the SEC as a school. There is a good chance it turns into the SWC's 1980s.

Yeah, it wasn’t that long ago that an undefeated SEC champion Auburn got left out of the national championship game in favor of USC and OU.  There was also another badass big 12 team just hitting their stride at that point that would kick some serious ass the next year.

Edited by Horn Dogg

27 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Yeah, it wasn’t that long ago that an undefeated SEC champion Auburn got left out of the national championship game in favor of USC and OU.  There was also another badass big 12 team just hitting their stride at that point that would kick some serious ass the next year.

Since Saban got there he has landed 58 5 star recruits. To put that in perspective we have just 22 over that same time period.

Mack got lazy on the recruiting trail and didn't do the homework on the recruits he was getting. So we were landing guys that did not fit our system, or were over-hyped in the first place. Look at some of these names.

Tray Allen

John Chiles

Curtis Brown

Garrett Gilbert

Mason Walters

Jackson Jeffcoat

Jordan Hicks

Mike Davis

Reggie Wilson

Darius White

Malcolm Brown (rb)

Steve Edmond

Johnathan Gray

Malcolm Brown

Darius James

Malik Jefferson

Caden Stearns

BJ Foster

Bru McCoy

Jordan Whittington

Bijan Robinson

Ja'Tavion Sanders

How many of these dudes were complete misses? Now think of how that hurt us when we failed to grow them and then we walked back into those same schools to look at another guy? So we had to do something to get our rep back and level the playing field.

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Since Saban got there he has landed 58 5 star recruits. To put that in perspective we have just 22 over that same time period.

Mack got lazy on the recruiting trail and didn't do the homework on the recruits he was getting. So we were landing guys that did not fit our system, or were over-hyped in the first place. Look at some of these names.

Tray Allen

John Chiles

Curtis Brown

Garrett Gilbert

Mason Walters

Jackson Jeffcoat

Jordan Hicks

Mike Davis

Reggie Wilson

Darius White

Malcolm Brown (rb)

Steve Edmond

Johnathan Gray

Malcolm Brown

Darius James

Malik Jefferson

Caden Stearns

BJ Foster

Bru McCoy

Jordan Whittington

Bijan Robinson

Ja'Tavion Sanders

How many of these dudes were complete misses? Now think of how that hurt us when we failed to grow them and then we walked back into those same schools to look at another guy? So we had to do something to get our rep back and level the playing field.

im sorry are you putting Bijan in a group of complete misses? 

Having lived just outside Chapel Hill for two years now, I can tell you in terms of culture, Texas' sister school is UNC. But the ACC would be a non-starter, mostly because of distance. Ditto the PAC.

As it is, I can travel to SCe, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Kentucky reasonably comfortably, so whatever reservations I have are somewhat tempered.

My biggest reservation, in fact, is any kind of association with aggy, but since I don't live in that pestilential hellhole any more, I can stomach it a little better. And it does provide the distinct pleasure of robbing them of their one and only non-bagman related recruiting advantage.

• Hook 'Em 3

Short-term is a big upgrade in home scheduling. And jettisoning Baylor. Thats about it. I believe with proper coaching, we’d be fine in football no matter what league.

Long-term, I think the move could hasten the end of college football as we know it and regionalize the sport further. Worried we’re going to be relegated like boxing, IndyCar/CART, and NASCAR. So the money upgrade short-term may not pay off longterm.

Moreover, have no idea how the NIL chaos will play into this, but without a strong national brand for college football, I think it makes the sport (and high school leagues) more vulnerable to professional competition. I assume the powers that be believe the opposite is true, but they’d be better off strengthening national cooperation.

Nevertheless, a strong central authority is not coming into the picture to organize four super conferences, enforce rules evenly, improve officiating, standardize scheduling, replace bowl games with high-stakes tournaments, protect players from exploitation, etc etc

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Gidnik said:

im sorry are you putting Bijan in a group of complete misses? 

Yeah, and iirc Squints was recruited for the shotgun spread, which imho he would have been great at here. Then Mack lost his fucking mind & scrapped everything. Fuck Mack Brown.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Thanks! Yeah I saw that latest edition of @THUJONE greatness. I'm just a little slow & have to admit I missed the meaning behind SRC. Thought maybe it came from something before the MSPaint. Maybe I'm just overthinking it & it's just about aggy misspelling it.

Edited by wood

Kind of sick and tired of the “oh it’s on now time to lose”

Let’s see. Since 2012 aggy has the same conference record as in the b12. And also the same number of conference championships as the previous what, 25 years?

Last year they finished 4th by beating the shit out of teams that went 30-50. Beat winless vandy by 5 at home 17-12 or whatever.

Look at the aggy schedule and Georgia schedule right now. Look at it. Tom Herman would win 9 of those games easy. This conference is so top heavy it’s hilarious. There has historically been 2 or 3 really good teams and 11 trash teams but those trash teams play SW Utah state 4 times and it escalates the W/L record.

Tom and Charlie would win 8 games next season with their schedule. Maybe 9 or 10 and they are both tards.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, wood said:

Thanks! Yeah I saw that latest edition of @THUJONE greatness. I'm just a little slow & have to admit I missed the meaning behind SRC. Thought maybe it came from something before the MSPaint. Maybe I'm just overthinking it & it's just about aggy misspelling it.

The ags are so proud of the "SEC".  Its their entire identity.  To me there is no better way to shit on them than to mock the very thing they hold so dear, hence SRC!  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2021 at 7:35 PM, Pimphand said:

Glad to escape the BDF but I definitely would rather have road trips out west than to the Redneck Riviera. With that said not going to Waco, Lubbock, and Kansas seems like a win overall.

going west would have been a move for the alumni to have 2 solid destination weekends every year

going east is all about the home slate

our home schedule just went from zero to fantastic

to maximize the investment in the stadium this had to be done

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm assuming aggy will be the Thanksgiving week game again?

The thought of those mouth breathers at DKR always made me nauseous.

Hosting pig is hardly any better.

On the other hand, Jawja fans seem alright. And Bama fans who travel are better than you'd think, given their demographic. 

Definitely a home schedule upgrade though, not even debatable.