Game Week- Louisiana

Wulaw Horn

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

OL shuffle, at least per their depth chart; their starting LT is out (their QB is left handed, so he's their second best tackle), and they moved their LG to LT, and the replacement guard is a third year guy who's only played one game in his first two seasons 

I was pretty impressed with their OL against ISU for a G5 school, and their LT was pretty athletic. That could certainly cause some problems for them as G5’s don’t tend to have good OL depth. If Thornton can’t take advantage of their LT in this game, then we’ll know we’ve got some real problems with our edge rush. 

The other thing that stuck out watching them against ISU was that their LBs tend to bite on PA. A lot of OSU’s best plays were PA passes to the TEs. I think because they play a lot of man, especially on passing downs, and trust their secondary, the LBs tend to be more aggressive and don’t have to drop in zone as much, so our RPO game should give them some real trouble. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 7

13 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Jesus, you 75 degree thermostat guys need to be more active, get your blood flowing and body temp up.  I keep my AC between 70-71 during the day, 67 degrees at night. Any warmer and I'm hot. Wife complains about it constantly though. Working on taking over the whole upstairs so I can keep it cold without her suffering. 

Yeah, super in shape people are definitely the ones who sweat like pigs indoors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I was pretty impressed with their OL against ISU for a G5 school, and their LT was pretty athletic. That could certainly cause some problems for them as G5’s don’t tend to have good OL depth. If Thornton can’t take advantage of their LT in this game, then we’ll know we’ve got some real problems with our edge rush. 

The other thing that stuck out watching them against ISU was that their LBs tend to bite on PA. A lot of OSU’s best plays were PA passes to the TEs. I think because they play a lot of man, especially on passing downs, and trust their secondary, the LBs tend to be more aggressive and don’t have to drop in zone as much, so our RPO game should give them some real trouble. 

By the way, the other guy who graduated (Robertson) started vs ISU 

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

By the way, the other guy who graduated (Robertson) started vs ISU 

Ah, yeah. He’s the guy I noticed in the ISU game. So yeah, replacing him and now replacing the guy who replaced Robertson will probably be a problem for them. Or at least should be if we can find a quality edge rusher. 

Steve Sarkisian makes his debut for No. 21 Texas on Saturday against No. 23 Louisiana (4:30 p.m. ET, Fox), the Longhorns' first opener as a ranked team against a ranked opponent since 1984. It's an interesting contrast: Sarkisian, in his first year with the Longhorns but beginning his third stop as a head coach, against Billy Napier, one of the hottest coaching candidates in the country. It matches up a Longhorns team with all-new schemes against a Ragin' Cajuns squad that our colleague Bill Connelly wrote returns 97% of its production, tops in the country, from a 10-1 team whose one loss was by three points to Coastal Carolina, and who opened last season with a 31-14 road win over Iowa State.

"The opponent we're playing has our attention," Sarkisian said on Monday.

And Sarkisian's offense will have our attention, with the coach saying Monday that Hudson Card will be his starter, but that Casey Thompson will also play. The main attraction, however, will be how Sarkisian utilizes Bijan Robinson, who dazzled in perplexingly limited opportunities last year, setting the Texas record for yards per rush in a season (8.2) but getting just 50 carries in the five games in which he played that were decided by one score or fewer.

This is a prime contender worth monitoring for Week 1 overreaction potential.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedaykickoff090221/what-watch-college-football-week-1-georgia-vs-clemson-232-pound-kicker-more

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

OL shuffle, at least per their depth chart; their starting LT is out (their QB is left handed, so he's their second best tackle), and they moved their LG to LT, and the replacement guard is a third year guy who's only played one game in his first two seasons 

LT didn't practice Tuesday and was "limited" yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ah, yeah. He’s the guy I noticed in the ISU game. So yeah, replacing him and now replacing the guy who replaced Robertson will probably be a problem for them. Or at least should be if we can find a quality edge rusher. 

It looks like in some games later in the year, Robertson wasn't in (not sure if he was out or got demoted), and they moved #74 Mitchell from RT to LT and promoted Rubio to RT

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They will also be without DL Andre Landry, who is probably the first guy off the bench to rotate in.  Started against ISU last year, but I think he eventually was replaced at some point in the year.  Still probably a guy they were counting on to play a good bit.

That could be a big loss for them. Per our lads, their other DL backups are a 2nd years or below. Their backup NT is a RS FR who only played in 3 games and is listed at 290, and I’m sure their 350 lb NT will need to sub a lot. So if do get long drives and establish the run, their run D will probably wear down a ton as the game goes on.

An afternoon game at 99 degrees with humidity should work in our favor. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Where'd you see that at?

In this article, sounds like he still won't play.

Rubio didn’t practice Tuesday and was limited Wednesday.

“Typically for us if you don’t practice on Tuesday or Wednesday there’s a good chance we’re not going to play you in the game,” coach Billy Napier said.

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/ul/2021/09/01/louisiana-ragin-cajuns-shuffle-offensive-line-before-playing-texas-longhorns/5691708001/

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

That could be a big loss for them. Per our lads, their other DL backups are a 2nd years or below. Their backup NT is a RS FR who only played in 3 games and is listed at 290, and I’m sure their 350 lb NT will need to sub a lot. So if do get long drives and establish the run, their run D will probably wear down a ton as the game goes on.

An afternoon game at 99 degrees with humidity should work in our favor. 

The backup NT on Ourlads might be out; Sonny Hazard. If that's who you're looking at. Ourlads isn't reliable though 

44 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

.The other thing that stuck out watching them against ISU was that their LBs tend to bite on PA. A lot of OSU’s best plays were PA passes to the TEs. I think because they play a lot of man, especially on passing downs, and trust their secondary, the LBs tend to be more aggressive and don’t have to drop in zone as much, so our RPO game should give them some real trouble. 

Pretty sure it was Babers who said that Louisiana decided to play a lot of man coverage against Iowa State last year because they saw on film that most B12 defenses ran zone...

9 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They will also be without DL Andre Landry, who is probably the first guy off the bench to rotate in.  Started against ISU last year, but I think he eventually was replaced at some point in the year.  Still probably a guy they were counting on to play a good bit.

Interesting that he wasn't mentioned on the injury report 

I am going to be pleased when we actually see some consistent pressure from the base D. Would be ecstatic when we are consistently getting pressure from the edge from the base D.

If PK is the wizard we all think he is, I’m am looking forward to the havoc his D will create. If the D is rolling, there isn’t a lot I’m worried about on O as long as Bijan is in the backfield.

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

The backup NT on Ourlads might be out; Sonny Hazard. If that's who you're looking at. Ourlads isn't reliable though 

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This guy is out as well.  Wrist surgery.  It's in the article I linked above along with the other DL.

Yeah, it’s so hard to find info about this team. It’s crazy to see the disparity in coverage compared to a team like Texas. 

So in looking at their team website, it looks like Hutchison was probably the primary backup and Hazard was third string. Either way, Hutchison is also only 290 and it looks like they’re fairly thin on DL depth so this is something we should be able to exploit.

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Just as a matter of pure depth between the two teams, I think.  But it's not like the Cajuns aren't used to practicing and playing in some God awful heat and humidity.

Right. We should have way more talented backups across the board so a game that requires a lot of subs should favor us.  They don’t have guys like TVondre Sweat and Alfred Collins on their second string DL. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

So they’re pretty banged up on the DL and offensive line is a make shift from last season? 

Depends on if Rubio can go. If he can't, then it's a little shuffled, and they need Gillie to be good. The replacement LT is a 7th year senior, so at the very least he's experienced 

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Right before kickoff I'm going to be arriving at a masquerade orgy party catered by Jason's Deli. If I look at my phone to see we're down at halftime I might lose my focus and poke someone's eye out with my wang. Hope Sark can live with that on his conscience.

Pokeing someone’s eye out with a Wang computer???

Inconceivable !!!

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The main attraction, however, will be how Sarkisian utilizes Bijan Robinson, who dazzled in perplexingly limited opportunities last year, setting the Texas record for yards per rush in a season (8.2) but getting just 50 carries in the five games in which he played that were decided by one score or fewer.

I mean, come on. This was criminal. 

5 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

It’s like people have never done this before

Forgive me for having flashbacks to being hungover as fuck in the heat of the Maryland opener a few years back.  I can tell myself I won't show up hungover to languish in the heat again but who am I kidding, I know myself 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Collins is arguably the most physically gifted guy on our roster. Can someone explain to me why he isn't starting? 

Because he’s not currently better than Ojomo or Coburn so he’s not technically a starter. They’ll find ways to give him plenty of snaps, but he also has a lot of developing to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Because he’s not currently better than Ojomo or Coburn so he’s not technically a starter. They’ll find ways to give him plenty of snaps, but he also has a lot of developing to do. 

This.  Collins is a giant over-sized ball of uber-talented clay that will eventually be great - but right now Coburn is a better NT and Ojomo is a better 3-tech.