Dallas Cowboys 2021 Regular Season Thread -- Money, Masks, & Masochism

Patrick Bateman

44 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Giants had -10 yards passing yesterday. Guess they are including interception return yards as a negative. 

It was an abject embarrassment.  They didn't even try to win.  I guess some of it had to do with Glennon injuring his hand, but then get the back up in.  They were down 3 scores in the 2nd half and had attempted 3 passes at one point and went run, run, short pass at one point.  It was such a tank move and if I was a player, I'd be embarrassed and incensed all the same time.  I get tanking at the team/org level -- trot out young players to get them reps, start a rookie QB to see what he's got, take chances to try and ride emotion for youngsters, but this was shameful and the Judge should be fired today for the display.  The Giants have a decent D and at full strength, which they never were, some average to better than average weapons, but their front office, coaching and QB ineptitude seem like they're really far away.  I guess if they got them a Rodgers or Russell Wilson in the offseason would get them closer, but they definitely need a new coaching staff and reports are ownership felt Judge was some sort of future Belichick.  Not sure if recent performances have made them rethink their stance.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

OL is very weak, especially in the run game. We used to bully people. Now, 3rd and 1's are a crap shoot. No push at all up front. It might be the biggest liability on this team. All our bone headed plays come from them.

Another issue that has been mentioned is our WRs. They get no real separation. And you can scheme them out of the game too easily.

You are right on the defense. Which is why I said tap the damn brakes on that unit carrying us. We won't be playing scrubs in the playoffs. We needed the defense to help out yesterday and they didn't.

What happened after we cut the lead to 10-7? We let 2 drives in a row to end the half and start the 2nd half for points and they extended their lead back out and negated our TD. Cut the lead down to 2 at the end. All they had to do was make a play or get Zona off the field quick to get us the ball back. But nope. Arizona easily ran over our defense on the ground. 

Defense did the same shit in Tampa. These are both playoff teams we could face. The defense has improved but I think they were propped up by being 7-0 in the East and those shit stain offenses. 

Scouting OL talent, especially interior, past the top elite prospects has been a really weak area for the Cowboys over the past decade. The Cowboys invest as much as any team in OL but don't get the performance return. It seems to be an institutional problem that needs to be addressed.

3 minutes ago, DougO said:

Scouting OL talent, especially interior, past the top elite prospects has been a really weak area for the Cowboys over the past decade. The Cowboys invest as much as any team in OL but don't get the performance return. It seems to be an institutional problem that needs to be addressed.

They had a great OL for 2016, first part of 2017 and then it has been downhill ever since. Martin started getting hurt. Fred Beard retired. Tyron slowly breaking down. This was their core. They built their team around the OL and run game. Using a #4 pick in Zeke and extending him with a big contract 2 years before his rookie deal was done. And the return on these investments have been piss poor. Connor Williams is a scrub. Collins is up and down.

We no longer can count on our run game, which puts all the pressure on passing so often. Hell, even 3rd and 2 is almost a pass down now days with how little push we get. 

The problem with the O line just kills this offense. Everything in this offense works from a running game that gets to 2nd and 5 or less; 2nd and 9 fucks it up. How much is the line and how much Zeke is simply speculation. They both suck.

Zack Martin is the only dependable all pro. I love Tyron but he is physically a mess and they should have found a replacement a couple years ago. Frederick was a huge loss and Biadacz is not adequate. Connor McGovern and Williams are mixed bags and Collins seems to have regressed. Recent drafts have not been top picks like we had with 77, 70, and 72. I’m not sure Joe Philbin coaches the technique suitable for the road graters either.

9 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think a lot of the hope resides on the pass rush including Parsons. 

Which is why I want no part in an Arizona rematch. Kyler is a unique matchup for our defense. If the pass rush doesn’t get home, we’re in trouble. The rams are a better team but I can see our pass rush getting to Stafford. I can definitely see it getting to jimmy g. I think we get bounced in the first round no matter what (now that we’re the 4 seed) but I definitely think we get bounced if we play AZ again. 

Which is why I want no part in an Arizona rematch. Kyler is a unique matchup for our defense. If the pass rush doesn’t get home, we’re in trouble. The rams are a better team but I can see our pass rush getting to Stafford. I can definitely see it getting to jimmy g. I think we get bounced in the first round no matter what (now that we’re the 4 seed) but I definitely think we get bounced if we play AZ again. 
And even if we get past the wild card, pack our bags for Lambeau to play Rodgers the next week. Another wild card win ceiling season that had a lot of promise and fizzled out. Unless this offense seriously turns it around. But this offense has been consistent only a few times since the bye week. I think a lot of is that Dak is more injured than we know. It shows when he runs and how he steps into throws. Causing all types of accuracy issues. In the first half of the year, he looked awesome. Got hurt on the winning play against NE and missed the next game and haa not been the same since. It's all shits and giggles when we are running it up against a pathetic Washington team.

I’m not buying the Dak’s injured bit. Everyone is dealing with something right now. We’re damn near 10 weeks removed from that injury. Dak looks fine when he takes off and runs. He looks like he’s always looked. It looks like he’s almost second guessing what he’s seeing out there and he isn’t letting it rip like when he’s feeling it. We’ve seen it in spurts even since his injury, but with no consistency.

Not being able to run the ball is the biggest issue with the offense because it’s putting more on Dak’s plate than he (or most qbs) can handle. Other than KC and Buffalo, all the other good offenses have some type of consistent running game. Dak looked better the first half of the year because our run game was firing on all cylinders.

4 hours ago, dcar00 said:

pathetic of you to revert to the beginning.  you are losing your fastball son...its embarrassing.

fastball? what are you talking about? there’s a comprehensive statistic made specifically to measure a quarterback’s ability to play his position. it is called “quarterback rating” or QBR. in 2021 mike white is performing better than dak prescott. this isn’t hard. 

53 minutes ago, futureman said:

fastball? what are you talking about? there’s a comprehensive statistic made specifically to measure a quarterback’s ability to play his position. it is called “quarterback rating” or QBR. in 2021 mike white is performing better than dak prescott. this isn’t hard. 

yes a made up stat by a summer ESPN intern that is only used by random message board trolls...

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m not buying the Dak’s injured bit. Everyone is dealing with something right now. We’re damn near 10 weeks removed from that injury. Dak looks fine when he takes off and runs. He looks like he’s always looked. It looks like he’s almost second guessing what he’s seeing out there and he isn’t letting it rip like when he’s feeling it. We’ve seen it in spurts even since his injury, but with no consistency.

Not being able to run the ball is the biggest issue with the offense because it’s putting more on Dak’s plate than he (or most qbs) can handle. Other than KC and Buffalo, all the other good offenses have some type of consistent running game. Dak looked better the first half of the year because our run game was firing on all cylinders.

Dak was largely fine yesterday.  He had a bad stretch, but that was a stretch where we had penalties, dropped balls, bad calls, missed blocks and overall just played poorly, everyone.  The main issue offensively yesterday were two things -- mental mistakes (all the aforementioned) and we couldn't run the ball for shit.  Dak was our leading rusher with 20 yards.  That's a huge issue.  We only ran 57 plays to their 72, so the defense allowing the Cards to go 50% on 3/4th downs combined was a huge issue.  We couldn't get off the field on defense and they could...... why?

First half we had 4 possessions.  4 fucking possessions, that's terrible.  We missed a FG, scored a TD and punted twice.  On the two punts, we had 3 and 11 and 3 and 14 because of penalties.  2nd half we only had 5 possessions.  This isn't a recipe for success for this team.  We scored 2 TDs, fumbled and punted twice.  2 punts?  3 and 20 and 3rd and 9.  3 times we had penalties on 2/3rd down putting us way behind the sticks and leading to a punt.  One possession we had a dropped ball which would have put us at 3 and 3.  

Was Dak perfect?  Of course not.  Could he and do we need him to be better?  Yes, but he wasn't the overwhelming issue.  He wasn't even top 5.  

Again, we are having a difficult time in the run game because both of our RBs are playing on one leg.  We have shit for edge blocking with our TEs and we fucked around with the OL chemistry.  I expect Tryon to be better as he gets more reps.  This will help, but not getting someone better than Corey Clement when we knew both RBs were going to be limping for the rest of the season was lazy, stupid, and moronic.  Pretty much Jerrah on brand.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Dak was largely fine yesterday.  He had a bad stretch, but that was a stretch where we had penalties, dropped balls, bad calls, missed blocks and overall just played poorly, everyone.  The main issue offensively yesterday were two things -- mental mistakes (all the aforementioned) and we couldn't run the ball for shit.  Dak was our leading rusher with 20 yards.  That's a huge issue.  We only ran 57 plays to their 72, so the defense allowing the Cards to go 50% on 3/4th downs combined was a huge issue.  We couldn't get off the field on defense and they could...... why?

First half we had 4 possessions.  4 fucking possessions, that's terrible.  We missed a FG, scored a TD and punted twice.  On the two punts, we had 3 and 11 and 3 and 14 because of penalties.  2nd half we only had 5 possessions.  This isn't a recipe for success for this team.  We scored 2 TDs, fumbled and punted twice.  2 punts?  3 and 20 and 3rd and 9.  3 times we had penalties on 2/3rd down putting us way behind the sticks and leading to a punt.  One possession we had a dropped ball which would have put us at 3 and 3.  

Was Dak perfect?  Of course not.  Could he and do we need him to be better?  Yes, but he wasn't the overwhelming issue.  He wasn't even top 5.  

Again, we are having a difficult time in the run game because both of our RBs are playing on one leg.  We have shit for edge blocking with our TEs and we fucked around with the OL chemistry.  I expect Tryon to be better as he gets more reps.  This will help, but not getting someone better than Corey Clement when we knew both RBs were going to be limping for the rest of the season was lazy, stupid, and moronic.  Pretty much Jerrah on brand.

I agree with what you’re saying for the most part. I dont think Dak was the issue. I just know he can be better because we’ve all seen him be better. He isn’t playing his best football right now, and he’s even admitted as much. He’s been off on a lot of his throws. Even a lot of the ones that are completed just seem off. Behind guys that have 10 extra yards after the catch if they’re hit in stride. The run game is what it is. It ain’t getting better. I get that’s the main reason for the struggles of our offense but that’s not getting better this year. Dak and the wrs can absolutely play better and it should be better this year. Not to what it was at the beginning of the year, but better than 7 fucking points at home against a depleted cardinals defense that will have those starters back next time we see them. The defense played well enough to win yesterday. Kyler is dynamic and he’s a matchup nightmare for us. But they played well enough on that side of the ball.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

The problem with the O line just kills this offense. Everything in this offense works from a running game that gets to 2nd and 5 or less; 2nd and 9 fucks it up. How much is the line and how much Zeke is simply speculation. They both suck.

Zack Martin is the only dependable all pro. I love Tyron but he is physically a mess and they should have found a replacement a couple years ago. Frederick was a huge loss and Biadacz is not adequate. Connor McGovern and Williams are mixed bags and Collins seems to have regressed. Recent drafts have not been top picks like we had with 77, 70, and 72. I’m not sure Joe Philbin coaches the technique suitable for the road graters either.

You don't just snap your fingers and find a replacement for one of the all-time best O-linemen the franchise has ever had. It ain't that easy.

4 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I heard Sturm talking today that Quinn and the Cowboys were in man-to-man pass defense sets like 45% of the time Sunday against the Cards. The rest of the league is about 25% against Kyler Murray because of his running threat.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

And even if we get past the wild card, pack our bags for Lambeau to play Rodgers the next week. Another wild card win ceiling season that had a lot of promise and fizzled out. Unless this offense seriously turns it around. But this offense has been consistent only a few times since the bye week. I think a lot of is that Dak is more injured than we know. It shows when he runs and how he steps into throws. Causing all types of accuracy issues. In the first half of the year, he looked awesome. Got hurt on the winning play against NE and missed the next game and haa not been the same since. It's all shits and giggles when we are running it up against a pathetic Washington team.

The Cowboys haven't beaten a team that has a winning record since beating New England in OT in mid-October (Week 6).

Philadelphia Eagles tight end Dallas Goedert was placed on the NFL's reserve/COVID-19 list Monday.

He'll join Genard Avery, Fletcher Cox, Marcus Epps, Nate Herbig, Jordan Howard, Jason Kelce, Avonte Maddox, Rodney McLeod, Boston Scott, Alex Singleton, and Jack Stoll in the league's coronavirus protocols.

13 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

"Everyone dealing with right now". And then you say you don't buy Dak being injured. Lol. So which is it? His drop in play directly correlates with the calf injury he had. He's playing through it. And no, when he takes off, he is not even close to what he used to look like. He runs like Jaylon Smith now. He's playing hurt. Zeke is playing hurt. It's not hard to see. You don't really need to believe it to be true. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

"Everyone dealing with right now". And then you say you don't buy Dak being injured. Lol. So which is it? His drop in play directly correlates with the calf injury he had. He's playing through it. And no, when he takes off, he is not even close to what he used to look like. He runs like Jaylon Smith now. He's playing hurt. Zeke is playing hurt. It's not hard to see. You don't really need to believe it to be true. 

His drop in play correlates with the broncos finding the blueprint for stopping our offense. And Dak has never been a great runner. He looks the same running the ball. He’s actually more willing to run now (over the last 2 games) than he has been in the last few years. He looked great against the falcons and the WFT covid practice squad. Also, when I say I’m not buying the Dak is injured bit, I’m not saying he may not have some lingering effects. What I’m saying is, it isn’t hampering him. He looks fine from a physical standpoint. He just isn’t trusting what he sees. 

also. Let me reiterate. I didn’t say he was the problem. The run game being non existent is the problem. Whether that’s scheme or jimmy’s and joes, that’s the problem. Dak slumping correlates directly with our run game going from dominant to non existent. I just think he CAN play better. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t think that’s even up for debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, futureman said:

Then what's the formula for QBR?

36 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Piss poor quarterback play for the greater part of the second half of the season. The face that Dak, his QB coach, and the OC can't stop the bleeding has me thinking this is going to be a one and done playoff. 

I criticized the offense last week before the Washington and was clowned for being so fickle lulz. This offense has been shit for 80% of the time since that NE game. Oh but hey, they looked great against the scrubs of Washington. And then lay a big fat egg against an Arizona team missing players who was on a 3 game losing streak. This offense overall is broken in so many areas. And all those fucking dorks calling people out and whooping it up after a win against Washington are nowhere to be found when the offense yet again lays an egg for a good part of this game.

Dak, Zeke, Kellen, this OL and these receivers are not cutting it. Every one of them have issues. And then Kellen has no idea how to adjust. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I criticized the offense last week before the Washington and was clowned for being so fickle lulz. This offense has been shit for 80% of the time since that NE game. Oh but hey, they looked great against the scrubs of Washington. And then lay a big fat egg against an Arizona team missing players who was on a 3 game losing streak. This offense overall is broken in so many areas. And all those fucking dorks calling people out and whooping it up after a win against Washington are nowhere to be found when the offense yet again lays an egg for a good part of this game.

Dak, Zeke, Kellen, this OL and these receivers are not cutting it. Every one of them have issues. And then Kellen has no idea how to adjust. 

Waited patiently the last two months for this offense to eventually "get it", flip a switch, and start looking like they did earlier in the season. Here we are on the eve of the playoffs and we're still talking about the same issues. It's frustrating because we've waited decades for a defense like this. The fact that the offense decides now to disappear shows you how cursed this franchise is. 

2 hours ago, Deej said:

This offense is fucked as long as they feel beholden to giving Zeke touches because of his ridiculous contract. Bench him and figure something else out. 

That's not really a thing..... Pollard has a bad wheel and can't play a whole game.  We fucked around and didn't backfill the position.  Elliott has to take some snaps and touches and he's still our best blocker as Pollard is pretty piss poor in pass pro.  Poorly managed position and before folks start..... Zeke is 95% going to be here next year too.

According to Sturm on the OL Tyron and Connor Williams graded out well in run block but Biadicz and Collins got worked like mules and even Martin was subpar. And of course their TE can't block anyone. 

They need to make some changes. For one I think I'd put Steele back at RT for Collins this next game. Collins has been terrible since he came back. I'd also think about using McGovern at TE and the backfield more with 12 personnel sets especially with Gallup out. Also, McCarthy needs to think very hard about taking over play calling because they have to find a way to run the ball more efficiently and Moore doesn't seem up to the task. 

Would also look to more usage of Lamb getting touches out of the backfield another 1 to 2 times a game. 

I'd use this meaningless game at Philadelphia to throw everything at finding something in the running game. And once the playoffs start Dak's going to have to be willing to run it like his first few years. Don't take unnecessary contact and get down/out of bounds but he's going to have to attack defenses to help open up the rest of the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

According to Sturm on the OL Tyron and Connor Williams graded out well in run block but Biadicz and Collins got worked like mules and even Martin was subpar. And of course their TE can't block anyone. 
They need to make some changes. For one I think I'd put Steele back at RT for Collins this next game. Collins has been terrible since he came back. I'd also think about using McGovern at TE and the backfield more with 12 personnel sets especially with Gallup out. Also, McCarthy needs to think very hard about taking over play calling because they have to find a way to run the ball more efficiently and Moore doesn't seem up to the task. 
Would also look to more usage of Lamb getting touches out of the backfield another 1 to 2 times a game. 
I'd use this meaningless game at Philadelphia to throw everything at finding something in the running game. And once the playoffs start Dak's going to have to be willing to run it like his first few years. Don't take unnecessary contact and get down/out of bounds but he's going to have to attack defenses to help open up the rest of the offense. 

This right here. Has Sturm addressed technique? I’m not sure Philbin isn’t forcing a philosophy on this crew they aren’t made to perform. When Martin isn’t grading superior there is a problem. If they can’t run the season will be over fast.

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

doesn't collins need to be playing guard?  smith, collins, biadiczzzzz, martin, steele

56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

LMAO at Stafford. 

Screenshot_20220105-074944.jpg

I'd blame a lot of that on playing for the Lions. By my quick count, Stafford is 4-4 vs teams .500 and better this season. Pretty amazing you put the guy around some talent and he's able to log half as many in one season that he's had in the previous 12. And he hasn't played great the last few weeks either.

17 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Piss poor quarterback play for the greater part of the second half of the season. The face that Dak, his QB coach, and the OC can't stop the bleeding has me thinking this is going to be a one and done playoff. 

me

before the washington game - "hey if they can get the 2 seed they can probably win one"

after washington - "hey they might have it back together, enjoy the ride, win one as 2 seed and maybe steal the second one"

after zona - "uh that sucked, 4 seed, zona again, kyler murray is the new aaron rodgers in JerryWorld, one and Q"

• Hook 'Em 1