To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

I fully expect all of the experts to flood in here and tell us how Orlando did a masterful job against that high power OU offense and if it weren’t for our piss poor offense we would have won.

The reality is that we have fundamentally bad coaching and schemes that give up way too many yards and is not fundamentally sound. We can’t stop offenses.

And then the experts will blame it all on secondary injuries, a lack of talent, or the new age of offenses, but ignore how the defense performs against other inferior opponents.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I fully expect all of the experts to flood in here and tell us how Orlando did a masterful job against that high power OU offense and if it weren’t for our piss poor offense we would have won.

The reality is that we have fundamentally bad coaching and schemes that give up way too many yards and is not fundamentally sound. We can’t stop offenses.

And then the experts will blame it all on secondary injuries, a lack of talent, or the new age of offenses, but ignore how the defense performs against other inferior opponents.

Fuck this...  Offense lost game today

He’s not good enough. We have the players to be a good defense.  His scheme is not sound and it takes him a half to make adjustments to stop simple concepts.  When they counter, he is sunk.  You come into this game with one objective.  Do not let them beat us running.  Hurts is not an NFL passer.  Stop the run.  And we run the 3 down look with no overhang defender most of the game. .  Just stupid.  

• Like 2

We don’t have the talent and maturity upfront yet to be running the scheme we are running. Go watch Alabama. Even they will alternate between 3 and 4 man fronts and they have probably the best upfront talent in the country.

And we don’t ever penetrate the backfield to force the offense into difficult positions. We let the offensive lines surge and try to bring in LB’s and DB’s to plug holes 3 yards downfield. Our offense is constantly operating in 3rd and long while opposing offenses are always at 2nd and short.

Because we bend but not break, we force very few short or 3 and out possessions, which keeps our offense off the field, puts opposing offenses in a situation to get 3 or 7 points on most possessions, and tires out our D.

Our DB coverage and tackling is not great but I’m unclear on whether that’s bad coaching our the fact that they are always having to make TD saving tackles on wide open receivers.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s not good enough. We have the players to be a good defense.  His scheme is not sound and it takes him a half to make adjustments to stop simple concepts.  When they counter, he is sunk.  You come into this game with one objective.  Do not let them beat us running.  Hurts is not an NFL passer.  Stop the run.  And we run the 3 down look with no overhang defender most of the game. .  Just stupid.  

This scheme is so soft on the edge.  Oklahoma State abandoned attacking us there and put up 500 yards.  Many people here wanted to congratulate Orlando for simply installing a two deep to clamp the artery.  We give up space on the edge most every play except when we randomly bring a blitz.  What's frustrating is those rushing yards are available all the same whether it's Oklahoma or West Virginia.  It hasn't worked and it won't work unless a team is vastly inferior.  If Orlando isn't versatile enough to get away from this horrible design he needs to go.  This isn't "bend but don't break."  This is "bend and get rigorously buttfucked and break sometimes."

• Like 1

His scheme fucking sucked today. No pressure whatsoever. Gave hurts all day to drop back and then fucking killed us with the run scrambles because we have 8 in coverage dropped back. Fucking moronic. Hurts is not that good of a qb. Make him beat you with his arm and make him get rid of it quickly making split second decisions.

I actually thought he got some pressure (mainly because Koburn would disrupt the pocket) but it didn’t matter because Hurts would just walk 10 yards for a first down. The they would easily run a sweep when they need a 40 yard play. 

Orlando’s 3rd and goal 3 stack call was laughable and Hurts just walked into the end zone. 

Not to mention when we needed a stop to force a punt and we didn’t load the box. 

I'm sadly becoming more and more convinced we will never consistently contend for the Big 12 with Orlando as the DC.  We just can't rely on our defense to stop anyone in big games, at least the type of offenses we see regularly in this conference.  Maybe the 3 man line bullshit is great in conceptual Nirvana land, but it has sucked for us this year.  No pressure on the QB, no soundness in gap assignments, and way too many plays where we give opposing offenses a free 15 yard run down the field against air.  Couple that with poor tackling fundamentals and a secondary that busts every 3rd play or so, and you have a shitty, unreliable defense.  It's not just injuries and youth, as the experts would have us believe.  

• Like 3

Just now, bschoolprof said:

I'm sadly becoming more and more convinced we will never consistently contend for the Big 12 with Orlando as the DC.  We just can't rely on our defense to stop anyone in big games, at least the type of offenses we see regularly in this conference.  Maybe the 3 man line bullshit is great in conceptual Nirvana land, but it has sucked for us this year.  No pressure on the QB, no soundness in gap assignments, and way too many plays where we give opposing offenses a free 15 yard run down the field against air.  Couple that with poor tackling fundamentals and a secondary that busts every 3rd play or so, and you have a shitty, unreliable defense.  It's not just injuries and youth, as the experts would have us believe.  

Thought D played well. They defiantly kept is in the game. Our O was the problem today. 2 TOsand 0 points.

our red zone D was pretty efficient today, aside from the last TD.   it's like we're willing to let teams get to the red zone and then we pull out all the stops.  it seems we put a premium on red zone stops, being content with allowing teams to settle for a FG on pretty much every drive.

Edited by The Whistler

Thought D played well. They defiantly kept is in the game. Our O was the problem today. 2 TOsand 0 points.

You and many others don’t see the defense as all that bad. Look up the term Normalization of Deviation. People have become so immune to wide open receivers, 5 seconds to throw, never punting, long drives and 10 yard QB scrambles that it has become the new normal. Normalization of Deviation is what blew up the space shuttle.

4 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I'm talking more macro over the past season and a half.  

As for today, I don't think anything about our defensive approach went "well."  We were lucky to only give up 34 points with the game plan we trotted out there.  OU should have put up 50.  I agree our O was shit as well though.  

I hate Ossai being the hybrid nickel also. Put his ass on the LOS and go get the passer. You sacrifice your best defensive passer to take away the screen game?? Doesn’t make sense. 

Also Dele is young and doing what he can but he is way over matched right now. Not instinctual against the run and a known liability in the pass game. 

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

We don’t have the talent and maturity upfront yet to be running the scheme we are running. Go watch Alabama. Even they will alternate between 3 and 4 man fronts and they have probably the best upfront talent in the country.

And we don’t ever penetrate the backfield to force the offense into difficult positions. We let the offensive lines surge and try to bring in LB’s and DB’s to plug holes 3 yards downfield. Our offense is constantly operating in 3rd and long while opposing offenses are always at 2nd and short.

Because we bend but not break, we force very few short or 3 and out possessions, which keeps our offense off the field, puts opposing offenses in a situation to get 3 or 7 points on most possessions, and tires out our D.

Our DB coverage and tackling is not great but I’m unclear on whether that’s bad coaching our the fact that they are always having to make TD saving tackles on wide open receivers.

agreed but we don't alternate and that is the problem.  Tom needs a better DC. we can't give up 7 yards a carry every year and expect to win.  we were gashed on straight sweeps.

13 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I'm sadly becoming more and more convinced we will never consistently contend for the Big 12 with Orlando as the DC.  

I mean, we played in the Big 12 championship game last year and will very likely be in the game again this year. If the goal is just being competitive for the Big 12 Championship, I think we’re pretty close to there. But very fair to ask whether we have what it takes to consistently get beyond that level and actually win the damn thing consistently.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Nobis said:

So you’re ok with giving up over 500 yards of offense? If you think that’s playing well you have low standards.

Maybe I do now that our F has sucked this season. But holding them to fgseems to be the norm these days. We should have been slaughtered but we lost by a score because of the D 

Edited by Coach pop a bitch

Texas offense and special teams lost blOU game

You keep saying that as if the defense can be completely ignored in determining the outcome of a game. Go look at the OSU game. Texas won. But the defense under performed so badly that they let an inferior opponent stay in it.

It's just like DIaz.  When there were players that had had a couple of years of fundamental defensive coaching, they could implement the whiz kid shit.

When they are raised on the whiz kid shit, they lose fundamentals, like tackling, setting an edge, containing, etc.

It's not getting better.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The 3i stack is supposed to be a spread run stopper defense ( it better be because it sacrifices an edge pass rush to plug inside gaps).   OU ran for 276 yards on 7.3 YPC.  Oops.

I agree the scheme is a fundamentally flawed way to approach defense.  And the poor situational tactics just compound the problem. We couldn’t even load the box and stack the line of scrimmage on their last series when we just needed to overload runs we knew were coming. 

I think Orlando calls plays without understanding the “why” part of his schemes as well as he should.  It reminds me of the Greg Davis version of the Denver Broncos offense that just fundamentally didn’t make sense.

It works if you have NFL size in the secondary that can take the punishment. We’ve been dropping like flies since week one employing this strategy and today was a culmination of weeks 1-5. 

5 minutes ago, Sandlot said:

I’m going to say it, and say it again. Get rid of the damn 3 man fronts and play a simple 4-2-5 and let Joseph put his hand in the dirt and get after the QB

3 man fronts aren’t the issue. Lack of gap control and tackling are the issues. It’s the same shit as when Diaz was here. We get too elaborate with our blitzes and it creates running lanes

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

3 man fronts aren’t the issue. Lack of gap control and tackling are the issues. It’s the same shit as when Diaz was here. We get too elaborate with our blitzes and it creates running lanes

Disagree, the 3 man front is killing us. Teams see it and run all over us knowing we can't stop them as they run outside against our smaller players. We don't have enough "beef" on the field to have a chance. It should be obvious this year that it's just not working.

• Like 2