To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

I agree. If not for dumbassery on punt returns, OSU likely scores 16 points. Made NCAA leading rusher carry almost 40 times for 120 some yards. Shut down top WR in football. Sure other guys got some yards and QB running the ball made us look like fools at times, but I’ll take it. Considering injuries in the secondary, they did alright. Young guys stepped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just 3 points allowed in the second half was great (until the late muff, anyway) and helped us out big-time when the offense failed to score on two consecutive drives starting on OSU's side of the 50. Lot of that was giving up chunk yardage, only to make critical 4th down stops deep in our own territory. OSU had nearly 500 total yards but we only let them score 30 points with it. A lot of it was also our offense going on long drives and giving the defense a much-needed breather.

Edited by satyanash

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Y’all are fucking idiots. Without the two muffed points, the D might not have even given up 20 points and we held an explosive OSU offense to 5.5 YPP while forcing 2 turnovers and being given some bad short fields from the offense and special teams. 

Orlando called a good game. He kept safeties over the top often and didn’t lose his mind with blitzes like LSU, while still having numbers for the run game. They were stout in the traditional run game (Hubbard had 3.3 ypc) and didn’t let Wallace beat them. You can’t take everything away against a team like this, and tonight that was Sanders’ running ability. 

This was a good game from Orlando, considering our personnel limitations and injuries. 

This. The defense was playing without Foster and Overshown and saw Green, Sterns, Jamison, and Thompson go off with injuries during the game, yet they held OSU to three FG attempts, came up with two fourth down stops, and only allowed one touchdown not gifted by the special teams. It wasn't perfect, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but it was pretty damn good under the circumstances.

• Like 2

It wasn't perfect by any means and there's a lot still to improve, but it was easily the best defensive performance all year. Unfortunately the extra possessions gifted by muffed kicks mean the score doesn't reflect that.

Caden Sterns was playing really well, you could tell Orlando was deploying him much more effectively this game. Shame to see he and Jalen Green get hurt. Season long outlook on D isn't great without those two. Here's to a quick recovery for both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 7/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, LTtxfan said:

Good article on Iowa State defense. (Mentions Orlando a little)

https://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-State-football-defense-scheme-breakdown-system-Jon-Heacock-133715405/  

"How Iowa State became CFB's leader in defensive innovation" 

ARLINGTON, Texas – Iowa State’s football facility saw more than its usual trickle of traffic this offseason. Matt Campbell estimates 35-40 college and pro teams passed through Ames on a defensive pilgrimage of sorts. The Cyclones, entering Year 4 of Campbell’s regime, have become a unexpected testing ground of defensive innovation.

Faced with the task of stopping the Big 12’s daunting group of Air Raid behemoths, Campbell and his defensive coordinator, Jon Heacock, started to experiment early in the 2017 season. The result is, perhaps, the future of defensive football in an era where offenses dominate with speed and exploited matchups in space. 

“The petri dish model has come from a conference where the offense challenges you every week and trying to find an answer when you don’t have maybe the exact same skillset of some of the elite teams in your conference,” Campbell told 247Sports. “I think that’s where, for us, we had to go to work and figure out how do we give ourselves a chance to be successful. We had to do that in a short period of time and then had the ability to take that model and really build off it and grow off it.

“The conference is what forced it to happen.”

Iowa State’s system is somewhat hard to define, and that’s by design. Schematically, the Cyclones ran a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 when Heacock arrived with Campbell in 2016. Following a ho-hum non-conference stretch the next year, the Cyclones all but threw out their defensive playbook. Heacock’s directive was to get his best players on the field. The result: A 3-3-5 that put three defensive linemen, three linebackers and five defensive backs in the lineup.

In this alignment Iowa State’s third safety served as a robber of sorts, a defender that could hunt in the middle of the field or act as a extra middle linebacker when called upon.

The transformation worked – quickly.

Texas sputtered to just 312 yards of offense when the Cyclones debuted the defense following its bye week. The rest of the Big 12’s struggled to catch up in the time since. Iowa State hasn’t exactly stymied the league’s Air Raid maestros, but it's held most of them well below their scoring averages.

The Cyclones’ defensive alterations so profoundly resonated throughout the league that Texas defensive lineman Malcolm Roach, a sophomore at the time, remembers his defensive coordinator, Todd Orlando, “adopting their style a bit” the next week. Orlando borrowed the concept of the middle safety to help create Texas’ lightning package.

Campbell said his defense is built with an offensive mindset. In other words, the Cyclones look to create matchups that put their defenders in the best position as opposed to reacting to what the offense does. This can be accomplished in several ways, but Iowa State’s efforts largely center around two positions – their third safety and SAM linebacker.

Labeled a STAR in Iowa State’s system, a position which will be manned in 2019 by preseason All-Big 12 selection Greg Eisworth, the extra safety can play everything from nickel to middle linebacker to robber. Eisworth is a defensive back with linebacker-like tendencies. The SAM linebacker is viewed in similar fashion. That defender must be athletic enough to occasionally cover in the slot while also retaining the physicality to  spin down and provide Iowa State the option of a four-man front when called upon.

Given that pair’s flexibility, the Cyclones can realistically line up with anywhere from two to four linebackers on any given play. That allows Iowa State to constantly have eight capable defenders against the pass from down to down, as opposed to a four-man front that limits a team to at most seven.

The Cyclones are additionally advantaged since the offenses often won’t know which defender(s) will commit to attacking the run. Iowa State’s linemen are able to stunt, twist and loop on most plays because Heacock can send a number of different linebackers as the team’s fourth gap stuffer. It can cause havoc on an opponent’s blocking scheme, while allowing the Cyclones’ free linebackers to either plug gaps or flow over the top.

“It allows us to create matchups in our favor,” Campbell said.

Iowa State’s system is an odd combination of pressure and a bend-but-don’t-break attitude. The Cyclones finished 30th nationally in tackles for loss and 39th in sacks last season. Much of that production came from Iowa State’s linebackers, which are allowed to attack aggressively if sporadically – Heacock mixes who comes from down to down. Iowa State’s starting linebackers finished second, third and fifth on the team in tackles for loss. The SAM, which was Willie Harvey a season ago, also finished second on the team with 3.5 sacks.

It helps that the Cyclones excel at stopping the run. Iowa State finished ninth nationally in yards allowed per rush last season, thanks in large part to a dominant defensive line and a scheme that can flummox quarterbacks given that Iowa State can show five people in the box and realistically come with seven on any play.

That element of unexpectedness allows Iowa State to get away with a smaller third safety instead of an extra lineman. The additional athleticism on the back end, plus a pair of deep safeties, is a big reason why Iowa State finished 26th nationally allowing just 14 plays of 30-plus yards. Only one other Big 12 school (Kansas State, 41st) ranked within the top 65 in that category.

Baylor put up 505 yards of offense against Iowa State last year, outgaining the Cyclones by 150 yards. But the Bears sputtered in the red zone and left Ames staring at a 28-14 loss.

“I think Coach Heacock is one of the great defensive coordinators in college football,” Baylor head coach Matt Rhule told 247Sports. “That defense is designed in a way where they’re taking away the big run play as well. The robber safety is always showing as an extra defender. People are having a hard time trying to find a way to run. I think if people could run the ball against them they’d have a lot of success.

“Nobody’s found a way to do it.”

Iowa State hasn’t finished among the top half of the Big 12 recruiting rankings since Campbell arrived in Ames. Yet entering the 2019 season, the Cyclones led the Big 12 with four defensive preseason All-Big 12 selections.

One of those players, linebacker Marcel Spears, said a big part of the defense’s success is that the Cyclones “don’t have like a major player.” Everybody in Iowa State’s system must work in concert for the team’s offensive coordinator-stumping system to function. Spears has seen teams adopting some of what the Cyclones do defensively. He called it a “compliment.” But fellow preseason All-Big 12 teammate, JaQuan Bailey is quick to point out not everyone has a coach like Heacock: “That dude is like a genius.”

Campbell doesn’t mind sharing. Among Iowa State’s visitors this spring were Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables, fresh off a national championship. Yep, Iowa State is out front in the defensive world of college football.

Just don’t expect anyone to ever fully copy the Cyclones’ magic.

“We’re not a defense you can minor in,” Campbell said. “We’re a defense you have to major in with some of the adjustments and what we’ve got to do. It’s been flattering that we’ve got a lot of questions in it. But we’re unique.”

Gonna be interesting to see how Orlando mixes and matches his defenses with all the current injuries. 

• Can he keep Brandon Jones a NB?
  • Who are starting corners?
  • Where will BJ be best used upon return?
  • How to use Overshown when healthy?
  • Who and how replace Caden?

(Below more info on creative ways Texas and Iowa State handle pass defense)

Thanks to @texasstrong12 for below post and article:

"this is a good read based on the discussions of inverted tampa 2/pass rush/etc for anyone interested. I think with injuries and issues at corner we're gonna be seeing a lot more of this." 

http://sportstreatise.com/2019/05/what-about-jack-can-texas-and-iowa-state-re-integrate-a-pass-rusher-into-the-inverted-tampa-2/

"The cost of building a legitimate three-safety defense was in sacrificing a piece up front. Both teams essentially traded out having four full time DL/pass rush players and would often lean on four and five man blitzes when they wanted to get pressure. The trade was worth it. As Belichik shows regularly in the NFL you’re better off making sure you cover first and then manufacture pressure as needed."

Edited by LTtxfan

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Gonna be interesting to see how Orlando mixes and matches his defenses with all the current injuries. 

• Can he keep Brandon Jones a NB?
  • Who are starting corners?
  • Where will BJ be best used upon return?
  • How to use Overshown when healthy?
  • Who and how replace Caden?

(Below more info on creative ways Texas and Iowa State handle pass defense)

Thanks to @texasstrong12 for below post and article:

"this is a good read based on the discussions of inverted tampa 2/pass rush/etc for anyone interested. I think with injuries and issues at corner we're gonna be seeing a lot more of this." 

http://sportstreatise.com/2019/05/what-about-jack-can-texas-and-iowa-state-re-integrate-a-pass-rusher-into-the-inverted-tampa-2/

"The cost of building a legitimate three-safety defense was in sacrificing a piece up front. Both teams essentially traded out having four full time DL/pass rush players and would often lean on four and five man blitzes when they wanted to get pressure. The trade was worth it. As Belichik shows regularly in the NFL you’re better off making sure you cover first and then manufacture pressure as needed."

I think having Brandon at NB actually is the main reason we held up so well against Hubbard in the red zone...I would not want Brandon to move back to safety unless there's no other option. Estell I thought played great, and I would keep Chris Brown on the field at safety as long as possible, even after Caden returns.  Adimora to spell.  Foster needs to be at Joker.

Corner is just a sad situation, but I don't see anyone playing better than Jamison and Boyce, even at that low bar... So there's our answer.  Cook just hasn't helped the team in any way this year

9 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Don't overcomplicate:

BC: Green -> J.Thompson/Boyce/Cook

MS/Joker: C.Brown -> Foster

CS: C.Sterns -> C.Brown

FC: Jamison

Nickel: B.Jones

DS: Estell

IMO, Thompson is most useful as first off the bench because you can plug him in for anyone with very little shuffling of the line up.

Starting a corner with a broken foot who has been ruled out for the year is a bold choice. Where do I send the $9.95?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Starting a corner with a broken foot who has been ruled out for the year is a bold choice. Where do I send the $9.95?

Furk.  Forgot Josh was out also.  Luckily, edit was still available.

Edited by JBJ

I have a feeling we're going to roll with Boyce and Jamison at corner and more or less live with the results of that. Anthony Cook seems to have taken out a 30-year mortgage on the dog house. If there were ever an opportunity for him to reset for the year it's now, but I'm just not optimistic after how the coaches have deployed him - or rather, haven't - through camp and the first third of the season.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I have a feeling we're going to roll with Boyce and Jamison at corner and more or less live with the results of that. Anthony Cook seems to have taken out a 30-year mortgage on the dog house. If there were ever an opportunity for him to reset for the year it's now, but I'm just not optimistic after how the coaches have deployed him - or rather, haven't - through camp and the first third of the season.

He played some against Okie Lite. It was meh.

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He played some against Okie Lite. It was meh.

Reading tidbits about how he's not being as physical and aggressive as he should be.  Was he that way last year?

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

TO is on his 3rd season, in all 3 he has started the first few games by shitting the bed as a coach(Herman has joined him in shitty fb management). It seems he needs an ass kicking in order to "figure" it out, that was an excellent game we played on Saturday vs a FR QB. 

Apparently he needs 11 returning starters. 

orlando screwed up in the off-season trying to pick up right where we left off instead of starting back at square one with 8 new starters. 

With more rpo/quick pass offenses limiting the effectiveness of pass rushers,  it seems like we're starting to see a lot more pass deflections at the line of scrimmage...

How good Texas Defense is in this area??  Just wondering if stats are kept on this, and which teams are better at deflecting passes.  

Might be a good strategy against Jalen Hurts??

Edited by LTtxfan

Not sure who Texas defensive analysts currently are but Chris Ash just got fired as head coach of Rutgers and has been on two different staffs with Herman (Iowa State 2009 and ohio state 2014).  Ash is getting over $8mill buyout...

Maybe a defensive analyst candidate???

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure who Texas defensive analysts currently are but Chris Ash just got fired as head coach of Rutgers and has been on two different staffs with Herman (Iowa State 2009 and ohio state 2014).  Ash is getting over $8mill buyout...

Maybe a defensive analyst candidate???

Or an Urban Meyer DC candidate

On 9/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

With more rpo/quick pass offenses limiting the effectiveness of pass rushers,  it seems like we're starting to see a lot more pass deflections at the line of scrimmage... How good Texas Defense is in this area??  Just wondering if stats are kept on this, and which teams are better at deflecting passes.  Might be a good strategy against Jalen Hurts??

Nice to see rushing DL and LB's deflect some passes today vs WVU.... 

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s the only coach keeping us in the game right now.

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

O points for wvu so far in 2nd half thx to defense. Orlando called a pretty damn good game

I will eat crow. He called a good second half. 

I just don’t understand how every game he lets average QBs torch us for easy 20 points. 

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I don't know if this is quantifiable or even correct, but our secondary always seems to lose on one-on-one jump balls/fades more often than our opponents. It's like they don't read the WR's eyes and time when to turn back or something.

This is very true. 

Also the long deep ball early in the game. It’s not “bad” coverage, but every game we give up the long bomb to give up early momentum 

This could be a case of iron dulling iron.  Our receivers are putting up numbers in spite of the terrible coaching from Mehringer.  They still have shitty technique and get by only on physical traits.  Practicing against inaccurate downfield throws and lackluster big WR effort all off-season is reflecting in the DB play against better coached receivers.  And Duv is an outlier , succeeding because he's in the slot, outside of Mehringers shadow of shittiness