To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

Disagree, the 3 man front is killing us. Teams see it and run all over us knowing we can't stop them as they run outside against our smaller players. We don't have enough "beef" on the field to have a chance. It should be obvious this year that it's just not working.

I agree. I think Ossai had a good game but when they ran to his side the OU tackle just man handled him. An extra 40+ pounds or a true four man front would have helped here.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

West Virginia gained 190 yards against Iowa State today.  Missouri, Kansas, James Madison, and Iowa State all had markedly better defensive performances against West Virginia than we did.

This is not the new normal for football in 2019.  This is a bad Texas defense.

I pointed out something very similar in week 2 after Grambling held La Tech's QB in check much better than we did, and I was told by a know it all on this site that I was an idiot.  I think we are starting to see this isn't just youth and injuries.  Orlando has put together a really poor defense this year (and most of last year), both in terms of its design, and how our players execute it.  One reason we have so many missed tackles is our LBs and safeties are so out of position on so many plays.  

• Like 2

Todd Potato needs help, or a different employer, but that won’t happen because of CEO pride. We have less will to get our shit together than ousux, talking about the legal above board ways to improve by implementing change. That’s our competition in this league and we have 2 decades of data to prove this correct.

Before anyone defends Orlando, just look at these stats: 

Most missed tackles in the country. 

Most missed tackles through the first 6 games since 2004 Temple. 

Most passing yards given up by a safety this season (938 by Estelle) 

Fewest sacks in the country. 

Fewest QB hurries by a team through 6 games since 2011 New Mexico State. 

Highest frequency of 3+ defensive backs not within 5 yards of a completion of 20+ yards- 156 total backs (highest number ever recorded since this stat started being tracked in 2014). 

Highest YPC by opposing Quarterbacks with 10+ rushes, excluding designed rush plays, at 11.2 YPC. 

A defensive VORP +/- adjusting for opponent's weighed average of 55.3, which I don't need to tell anyone is terrible. 

Given up the most explosive plays when the offense has less than 2 starters who would start for Texas and averages 200 less yards against other conference opponents with 31 plays so far this year. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Highest frequency of 3+ defensive backs not within 5 yards of a completion of 20+ yards- 156 total backs (highest number ever recorded since this stat started being tracked in 2014). 

Highest YPC by opposing Quarterbacks with 10+ rushes, excluding designed rush plays, at 11.2 YPC. 

A defensive VORP +/- adjusting for opponent's weighed average of 55.3, which I don't need to tell anyone is terrible. 

Given up the most explosive plays when the offense has less than 2 starters who would start for Texas and averages 200 less yards against other conference opponents with 31 plays so far this year. 

Me reading this post and thinking 2009 was 10 years ago.

n08A8NO.jpg

3 man fronts aren’t the issue. Lack of gap control and tackling are the issues. It’s the same shit as when Diaz was here. We get too elaborate with our blitzes and it creates running lanes

On the last first down ou got, they had a TE to their right. Texas had its de on the tackles inside shoulder. Fucked from the get go. (I might be misremembering, I watched the game on my phone. )

We have one of the worst defenses in college football under Todd Orlando. He's absolute trash and needs to be fired yesterday. That gay ass 3 man front generates zero pass rush, we get torched on basic run plays, receivers run freely in the secondary, and we can't tackle for shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

I understand our D is ranked number 128.  So, it will finish number 100-110 ish, if we're lucky.  Doesn't Tom have to sit down with CDC and evaluate coaches at the end of the season? 

How does he justify keeping the architect of number 100 ish? 

He has to hope CDC doesn't understand counting and numbers in general 

38 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

$1.2 million/year.  Lol.

19 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

We have one of the worst defenses in college football under Todd Orlando. He's absolute trash and needs to be fired yesterday. That gay ass 3 man front generates zero pass rush, we get torched on basic run plays, receivers run freely in the secondary, and we can't tackle for shit.

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

The postgame press conf for Texas is not yet posted on YouTube.    But if you see a rerun of Texas Game Day Final,  check Sam's comments.

Berry Tramel (OU Sportswriter):   "Sam,  you have faced 3 different OU defensive coordinators.   What was different about this defense compared to the one you faced last year ?"

Sam:   "They did a really good job of swarming the football.   Obviously,  they recruit extremely well and have tremendously talented players and I feel like they just let them go make plays opposed to trying to do a whole bunch of complex stuff.   They just let them be athletes and do a tremendous job at that."

That could be perceived as a message to Orlando.

That is the problem, my friends.    As Scipio has stated,  Orlando needs to simplify the scheme, concentrate on fundamentals,  and let the players play    Players are too concerned about making a mistake in the scheme.

Edited by torre
  • Like 3

Orlando did a borderline excellent job yesterday. If u would have told me that we would hold OU to 10 points in the first half yesterday, i woulda laughed my ass off

ultimately, bad tackling and not defending the zone read/handoff play cost us the game on D. But so far this year, Orlando isnt even in the top 5 biggest problems this team has

Not having a OC is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more concerning, but yall are so focused on a whipping boy who is doing his best with a defense that is a veritable MASH unit

15 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This needs to be pasted on the forehead of every coach and player on the Texas team.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Orlando did a borderline excellent job yesterday. If u would have told me that we would hold OU to 10 points in the first half yesterday, i woulda laughed my ass off

ultimately, bad tackling and not defending the zone read/handoff play cost us the game on D. But so far this year, Orlando isnt even in the top 5 biggest problems this team has

Not having a OC is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more concerning, but yall are so focused on a whipping boy who is doing his best with a defense that is a veritable MASH unit

the turnovers saved Orlando yesterday and he gets credit for that.  he(actually his scheme) is absolutely in the top 5.  but to be fair, he was a distant 5th yesterday to the OL, TH, ST and Sam.

• Like 1

He deserves no credit for the first turnover.  The fumble was poor ball security by Hurts and a good play by Cook after Hurts had gashed us for 40 yards due to lack of contain.  The second one was a terrible decision by Hurts that was facilitated by good pursuit.  There would have been more if we had correctly focused on stopping Hurts from running.   The turnovers were confirmation of how shitty the game plan was. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Well, we’ve played lsu, wvu, osu, and ou, so im not shocked. We’ll improve that number in the next 2-3 weeks

WVU had 41 yards rushing(190 total offensive yards) yesterday against Iowa State. As a team. Let that number sink in.

Forty one yards.

• Like 2