To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

I think it’s both. There’s nothing wrong with a 3 man front against the spread obviously. But the way we line up on certain plays is puzzling, and we do it enough that it must be by design. Further, what we are asking players to do given their abilities often makes little sense. Those are bad calls on the blackboard even before the ball is snapped. Finally, we see players who look like they have no idea what to do in the scheme.

Burt Macklin claims there's very little to nothing wrong with our scheme.  Scipio claims we are often so misaligned that we are giving yards to the offense. I think an internet death match is in order.  

Scheme is not just alignment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, when I talk about scheme, I mean the 3 tite front, as opposed to 4 man fronts people have been clamoring for. I think Scipio was using that term more as a general term for Orlando’s game plan. And I agree it was bad. I said earlier in the week he needed to have Ossai be a true b-backer and get a lot of attempts at beating the injured/backup OTs. Orlando never did that and it was one of many flaws in his game plan. 

When Scipio listed the problems with the defense, he talked about setting the edge, containment, tackling, etc., all of which I agree with. We definitely had some plays where our alignment meant we were in trouble from the get go, but that happens to just about every defense, especially against Riley, and I don’t think it’s nearly as fundamental an issue as the ones mentioned above. 

I try to think about the defense in as simple terms as possible. The BBacker is supposed to move around to different places/coverages depending upon the defensive plays called. Right now Orlando is calling Ossai out into coverage way more often than rushing the passer, or he’s leaving him in a LB alignment to make plays as a linebacker. I want Ossai penetrating the line of scrimmage a lot and wreaking havoc, more than half the time. Just do that.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I try to think about the defense in as simple terms as possible. The BBacker is supposed to move around to different places/coverages depending upon the defensive plays called. Right now Orlando is calling Ossai out into coverage way more often than rushing the passer, or he’s leaving him in a LB alignment to make plays as a linebacker. I want Ossai penetrating the line of scrimmage a lot and wreaking havoc, more than half the time. Just do that.

Overthinking seems to be a common theme among this staff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Why is this dude married to the 3 man front? I don't get it. It doesn't work, obviously. Herman isn't stupid, but come on. Someone with more knowledge on Orlando than me (which is a shit ton) fill me in. Has he always used this formation?

he's coached the 4-3 before and of course the nickel off that.  Let's be clear though, if Tom Herman said we need some 4 DL looks I'm sure he has them.  this falls on Herman as well.

I am not saying that we need to go to a 4 DL exclusively but fuck when you are getting pounded like a pussy for 7 yards a carry because your LB or DB can't set the edge or your DL can't play the mesh correctly you might want to have something in the bag to switch it up.

all 3 red river games we got pushed around in the running game.  we did play them much better in the Big 12 champ game so maybe there is hope but we already knew our D would likely be worse and the injuries just make it that much more difficult.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting stuff on Oregon DC (formerly w/Boise State)

"The Andy Avalos effect: Why Oregon's defense is wreaking havoc"

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/oregon-ducks/andy-avalos-effect-why-oregons-defense-wreaking-havoc

When I was in middle school (2002-2004) Boise St was my favorite "little guy" team. Andy Avalos was my favorite player on those teams, damn good LB.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Why is this dude married to the 3 man front? I don't get it. It doesn't work, obviously. Herman isn't stupid, but come on. Someone with more knowledge on Orlando than me (which is a shit ton) fill me in. Has he always used this formation?

Why is TH married to 11 personnel with a te/h back that's marginal at blocking and receiving? 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Good offensive coordinators game plan for Ossai.  Lincoln's better than good.   He takes one of our best players and puts him in a shitty position against his best playmaker. 

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I put it as number 1 because he was already here...Strong didn't have to guess if he was a good hire...he was producing Thorpe award winners/finalists at Texas...you know, the school Charlie was coming to...seemingly every year.

Absolutely nothing will match the war crime that was hiring Shawn Watson with a blank check.

• Like 2

Hard to believe that this Defense is worse than any of Vance Bedford's squads. And this fraud is paid $1.7M 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2019/10/13/20912621/inside-the-numbers-texas-longhorns-todd-orlando-roschon-johnson-jalen-hurts

If the season ended today, the Longhorns’ 453.3 yards per game allowed would be the highest average in school history, while the 6.4 yards per play would be the second-worst in school history. Through six games in 2019, the Longhorns have given up 2,770 yards, which if the trend holds would be the worst season total in school history, eclipsing last year’s 14-game total. These season totals will be inflated slightly over the rest of the bottom 10, as last year featured more games than any other season in the bottom 10.

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Hard to believe that this Defense is worse than any of Vance Bedford's squads. And this fraud is paid $1.7M 

https://www.burntorangenation.com/football/2019/10/13/20912621/inside-the-numbers-texas-longhorns-todd-orlando-roschon-johnson-jalen-hurts

If the season ended today, the Longhorns’ 453.3 yards per game allowed would be the highest average in school history, while the 6.4 yards per play would be the second-worst in school history. Through six games in 2019, the Longhorns have given up 2,770 yards, which if the trend holds would be the worst season total in school history, eclipsing last year’s 14-game total. These season totals will be inflated slightly over the rest of the bottom 10, as last year featured more games than any other season in the bottom 10.

Yeah but the trend won't hold because we aren't playing the 1, 2, and 8th best offenses in the country anymore. The only offense we should fear is Iowa State until the Big XII title game. Adjusted defensive metrics tell a more accurate story. We have a league average defense which is far below our standard and will cost us games in many cases (though against OU they were by far the better side)..

6 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Why is TH married to 11 personnel with a te/h back that's marginal at blocking and receiving? 

Because 11 personnel likes to go with him to the strip club and do lines off a stripper’s tits? 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Like 2

The biggest problem with TO, as I've mentioned before, is that there is simply no creativity in his defense.  He seems to completely lack any imagination is drawing up blitzes.  There were a few times we had some players get to Hurts on blitzes, but it was because of the athleticism of the player not the scheme.  There were a few times when we blitzed someone off the corner where the tackle, either the right or left, passed off their assignment and stood there waiting for the blitzer.  There was absolutely nothing done on defense that ou hadn't seen on film and wasn't prepared to handle easily.  It's ridiculous and it is costing us games.  Our only hope is that we don't lose again and get another shot at ou in December with a completely healthy defense so just maybe we can out athlete them, but I doubt it.  When teams are fairly evenly matched, coaching makes the difference in wins and losses and we are starting behind the eight ball with TO.

7 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Yeah but the trend won't hold because we aren't playing the 1, 2, and 8th best offenses in the country anymore. The only offense we should fear is Iowa State until the Big XII title game. Adjusted defensive metrics tell a more accurate story. We have a league average defense which is far below our standard and will cost us games in many cases (though against OU they were by far the better side)..

Texas Tech and Baylor will light us up 

18 hours ago, Poolflood said:

Good offensive coordinators game plan for Ossai.  Lincoln's better than good.   He takes one of our best players and puts him in a shitty position against his best playmaker. 

Which is exactly what we didn’t do with Kenneth Murray on the other side of the ball

6 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Neither have great offenses. We'll have  equal or more picks than their QB will have touchdowns against Tech and will likely do the same to Baylor. Our offense may struggle against both though.

Last year we managed to make Jet Duffy look like the second coming of Patrick Mahomes.

37-47, 444 YDS, 4 TD, 1 INT 

• Like 3

Orlando may think Riley exposed all his defensive scheme weaknesses but he probabably only got to number two on his list of top 10. It seemed I saw the same two style plays gain major yardage all day. We suck on defense and by now we are who we are for the year. Orlando will prepare but I fear Riley will just go to his next two on the list. 

Orlando may think Riley exposed all his defensive scheme weaknesses but he probabably only got to number two on his list of top 10. It seemed I saw the same two style plays gain major yardage all day. We suck on defense and by now we are who we are for the year. Orlando will prepare but I fear Riley will just go to his next two on the list. 

Awful presumptuous of you to think the team that showed up at the Cotton Bowl will make it back to Arlington at the beginning of December.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

remember just how shitty the big picture is, back to last season, Orlando's D performance against Big 12 spread offenses

OU - 511 yds - 34 pts - L

WV - 463 yds - 31 pts - W

OSU - 494 yds - 30 pts - W

LSU - 573 yds - 45 pts - L

OU - 508 yds - 39 pts - L

TT - 595 yds - 34 pts - W

WVU - 578 yds - 42 pts - L

OSU - 502 yds - 38 pts - L

OU - 532 yds - 45 pts - W

Tom says time and time again, he is here to win championships. That isn't happening if your defense makes every game vs the Big 12 top teams a less 50% chance to win. (including OSU and WV this year is generous on my part)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pacman said:

remember just how shitty the big picture is, back to last season, Orlando's D performance against Big 12 spread offenses

Tom says time and time again, he is here to win championships. That isn't happening if your defense makes every game vs the Big 12 top teams a less 50% chance to win. (including OSU and WV this year is generous on my part)

I think it's actually better this season than how it looked last season, numbers wise.  I'm looking more at points allowed than the total yardage.  WV and okie light both had  two drives towards the end that inflated the score allowed.  I'm still in a wait and see approach.  We should allow less than 21 points come saturday night.  Atleast that's my goal for the defense

12 minutes ago, pacman said:

In like half those games we held those teams to below their average YPP and PPG, but yeah, not gonna cut it for a team with playoff aspirations.

20 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think it's actually better this season than how it looked last season, numbers wise.  I'm looking more at points allowed than the total yardage.  WV and okie light both had  two drives towards the end that inflated the score allowed.  I'm still in a wait and see approach.  We should allow less than 21 points come saturday night.  Atleast that's my goal for the defense

As did Texas in the LSU and OU games.

To be fair Riley does that to almost any DC he faces. He’s one of the best offensive minds in the game today. Still doesn’t excuse our tackling issues but schematically Riley is a savant.

From OB.  Orlando addressing the media.  He mentions gator tackles and launching their bodies too early.

Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando addressed the media after practice on Wednesday, and here are the highlights:

---- Orlando on what he saw while reviewing the Texas-Oklahoma film: “What the majority of everybody saw. The missed tackles were glaring. We went out on Tuesday, and we addressed it. We did a whole bunch of live [tackling], and our kids responded really well. There’s technical things, there’s angle things, but like any fundamental or technique, we’re going to rep the heck out of it until it gets resolved. I did see flashes at times. I like the spurts that we had, especially in the second quarter, third quarter. I thought we stepped up. There was a little bit of a short field where that game could have got a little bit out of control, but I didn't like what we did in the fourth quarter when it was on the line. Those critical series towards the tail end, our offense was coming back, made a couple plays, got the game tight. I think was like a 20-17 game, and we give up a touchdown. Tackling issue. And then later on we give up two explosive runs, get them down to the goal line, and can't finish them off on the third-down play. You know you can't beat a top five team like that. You've got to be able to finish those things off.”

--- However, Orlando was happy with his unit’s performance on third-down against Oklahoma.

--- Orlando said one thing that bothers him about the first six games is giving up explosive plays. In addition, he wants his team to make plays when the opportunities are there.

--- Orlando said they have begun simplifying the defense of their younger players. He said they have watched the game and practice film to figure out what his guys can handle.

--- Orlando on why his players have missed a high amount of tackles this season: “It's a fundamental and technique thing. There's guys that are throwing too early, the quote-unquote gator tackle, going at somebody. If I go to tackle you, and I launch at you from this [far away], I don't bring much power to you. You’ve literally got to get through a guy. If you throw a little bit too early, and you got a dynamic guy that's strong in his lower half, he's gonna break right through that stuff. You watch the film, and you critique it to them, it's all technical. There's not a kid out in the field that can't do that. If a guy is so much better of an athlete, or so much stronger, and you're kidding yourself like it doesn't matter what this kid does ... It’s not that. It's getting through a near hip. Not running in front of a guy. As you contact, running your feet instead of launching yourself because you don't get any power that way. You put the film on, and the majority of these guys they'll tell you. It's not like this is the first day we're teaching tackling. I mean you come into spring ball, you do it all the time. You come into fall camp, you go through it. But then when it’s live bullets, and you're going against some good guys, it better be exact. That’s what we want. We want to be exact.”

--- Orlando said Oklahoma’s fly-motion was tough to defend this past Saturday. It was harder to bring pressure and get after Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts, according to Orlando.

--- Texas has not recorded a sack in the past two games, but Orlando believes they are pressuring the quarterback. Orlando said, “I think a lot of the times with us, and the guys we've been playing, it’s like if they get close, they throw the ball up because in their opinion right now, [they] probably look at us, and some of the spots in the back end, we maybe can win the 50-50 ball.” However, Orlando said his two cornerbacks did a “decent” job in coverage. In addition, Orlando said if they do not record a sack, but cause a bad throw, he is satisfied.

Herman will make the excuse for worst defense in history, by saying Orlando had to scheme for most explosive offensive conference Evah!   

meanwhile is Todd’s brother, Tony Orlando available to take over the contract?   Shit, at this point I’d settle for Don ‘No Soul’ Simmons at DC

8 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

From OB.  Orlando addressing the media.  He mentions gator tackles and launching their bodies too early.

I like hearing all those things, but he should’ve been emphasizing fundamentals and tackling and simplifying the scheme all offseason. It’s probably too late now for any of those fixes to have a huge impact on the season. He made the exact same mistake last year and started emphasizing that stuff around game 9. Can’t do that 2 years in a row. 

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

A lot to pay for mediocrity. I don't understand how Herman doesn't comprehend this. 

Who says Herman doesn’t comprehend it? UDontKnow whether Herman’s already decided he’s hiring a new DC this offseason. Nobody had even a hint that Warehime would get demoted and Hand would be hired until it was announced.

• Like 1

Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando addressed the media after practice on Wednesday, and here are the highlights:

---- Orlando on what he saw while reviewing the Texas-Oklahoma film: “What the majority of everybody saw. The missed tackles were glaring. We went out on Tuesday, and we addressed it. We did a whole bunch of live [tackling], and our kids responded really well. There’s technical things, there’s angle things, but like any fundamental or technique, we’re going to rep the heck out of it until it gets resolved. I did see flashes at times. I like the spurts that we had, especially in the second quarter, third quarter. I thought we stepped up. There was a little bit of a short field where that game could have got a little bit out of control, but I didn't like what we did in the fourth quarter when it was on the line. Those critical series towards the tail end, our offense was coming back, made a couple plays, got the game tight. I think was like a 20-17 game, and we give up a touchdown. Tackling issue. And then later on we give up two explosive runs, get them down to the goal line, and can't finish them off on the third-down play. You know you can't beat a top five team like that. You've got to be able to finish those things off.”

--- However, Orlando was happy with his unit’s performance on third-down against Oklahoma.

--- Orlando said one thing that bothers him about the first six games is giving up explosive plays. In addition, he wants his team to make plays when the opportunities are there.

--- Orlando said they have begun simplifying the defense of their younger players. He said they have watched the game and practice film to figure out what his guys can handle.

--- Orlando on why his players have missed a high amount of tackles this season: “It's a fundamental and technique thing. There's guys that are throwing too early, the quote-unquote gator tackle, going at somebody. If I go to tackle you, and I launch at you from this [far away], I don't bring much power to you. You’ve literally got to get through a guy. If you throw a little bit too early, and you got a dynamic guy that's strong in his lower half, he's gonna break right through that stuff. You watch the film, and you critique it to them, it's all technical. There's not a kid out in the field that can't do that. If a guy is so much better of an athlete, or so much stronger, and you're kidding yourself like it doesn't matter what this kid does ... It’s not that. It's getting through a near hip. Not running in front of a guy. As you contact, running your feet instead of launching yourself because you don't get any power that way. You put the film on, and the majority of these guys they'll tell you. It's not like this is the first day we're teaching tackling. I mean you come into spring ball, you do it all the time. You come into fall camp, you go through it. But then when it’s live bullets, and you're going against some good guys, it better be exact. That’s what we want. We want to be exact.”

--- Orlando said Oklahoma’s fly-motion was tough to defend this past Saturday. It was harder to bring pressure and get after Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts, according to Orlando.

--- Texas has not recorded a sack in the past two games, but Orlando believes they are pressuring the quarterback. Orlando said, “I think a lot of the times with us, and the guys we've been playing, it’s like if they get close, they throw the ball up because in their opinion right now, [they] probably look at us, and some of the spots in the back end, we maybe can win the 50-50 ball.” However, Orlando said his two cornerbacks did a “decent” job in coverage. In addition, Orlando said if they do not record a sack, but cause a bad throw, he is satisfied.

I don’t see much value in these statements and they don’t make me feel better about our defense. With that said, it is naive to think that anything said at a press conference would be helpful so...whatever.

16 hours ago, pacman said:

here is their FEI ranking

• 18 OU - #1 OFEI team
  • 18 WVU - #13
  • 18 Ok State - #12
  • 18 OU - #1
  • 19 LSU - #2
  • 19 OU - #3
  • 19 TTU - #70
  • 19 WVU - #74
  • 19 Ok State - #21
  • 19 OU - #3

so in  8 of those 10 games they faced teams in the top 21 in the country, and in 7 of those 8 they faced teams in the top 13

i get what you are saying but with the exception of two of those teams those are some damn good offenses - teams in the top 15% of the country and in HALF of those games you listed they are facing teams in the top 3 in OFEI in the country. 

• Like 1