To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

We will see.  A lot can change in two months.  For both teams. 

OU played great yesterday.  Very impressed.  

Ah yes, the old “we’re only going to get better and they’re going to get worse” line. 20 years of that tripe with respect to OU. We were right about 3 times.

• Like 1

I didn't go through this whole thread, so sorry if already discussed, but... I think i was MOST disappointed in the lack of effort.  So many missed tackles due to a lack of aggressiveness.  Look at Lamb's runs after the catch - just ridiculous how many guys he ran through  On the flea flicker play, it was like guys were just standing around waiting for someone else to initiate contact.  Dare I say it, this D staring to look like what Mike Stoops left OU with tow years ago.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

I don't want Orlando gone, yet, but I sure as shit want some BIG changes and no one outside of TH and Orlando should be safe.

We're back to the "wethering storms" mentality it appears.

Unfuckingbelievable

I want him gone. this scheme is either too hard to teach or too hard to execute, and that is against shitty O's. bye felicia.

This is the Charlie argument all over again. One side is using facts and the other side is using excuses. 

Facts: Defense ranking in 100s 2 years in a row. No sign of improvement. Every dogshit QB and team puts up Heisman numbers on us every single week. WVU is not good. OSU is not good. Scheme has proven to not work. No pressure on QB. Can’t contain edge. 3rd and 17 vs LSU. Tackling is bad. DBs keep getting hurt because they have to tackle people twice their size all the time. 

Excuses: We faced OU and LSU. Maybe our highly rated recruits actually suck. We are everyone’s Super Bowl. It’s the players fault. Of X didn’t happen, then we wouldn’t suck so bad. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Orlando did a borderline excellent job yesterday. If u would have told me that we would hold OU to 10 points in the first half yesterday, i woulda laughed my ass off

ultimately, bad tackling and not defending the zone read/handoff play cost us the game on D. But so far this year, Orlando isnt even in the top 5 biggest problems this team has

Not having a OC is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more concerning, but yall are so focused on a whipping boy who is doing his best with a defense that is a veritable MASH unit

You and I have very, very different definitions of the word "excellent."  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Herman didn't make very good hires across the board for whatever reason.  More damning was that this was not addressed after year 1 or 2.

Never going to happen after year 1, he tried to sell the Meh/Warehime OC/OL combo but no one was dumb enough to take it. Both should have been replaced after last year. Tried to get Drayton and Orlando HC jobs and they were at best, courtesy interviews. The sugar bowl clouded his judgement, I hope we are living through Coach Herman's maturation as a HC and we continue to see improvements. Not getting any quality analyst for Orlando this offseason is another mistake.

Coach puts too much stress on himself by not hiring A's. When you hire B's and C's, that is bad leadership.

WVU had 41 yards rushing(190 total offensive yards) yesterday against Iowa State. As a team. Let that number sink in.
Forty one yards.

“Well it’s obviously because Iowa st has recruited superior defensive linemen to Texas” - surly experts.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

IIRC, I think Warehime, Giles, Orlando, Naviar, Washington and Yancy were all at UH. Beck was at OSU, Drayton was with the Bears, Mehringer was with Rutgers, Meekins was in high school.

Meekins was at uh. Beck was getting run out of osu as was Mehringer out of Rutgers. Drayton has the personality of a military prep school Dean. Remember how Rick could make guys forget how to dribble, Drayton has the same mindfucking skill.

Edited by Goodman

What’s hilarious is that on the recruiting boards we’d all been very frustrated with Giles because he wasn’t landing top linemen. This year so far he’s landed them all and now Surly talks about getting rid of everyone but Giles.

Maybe Orlando gets his shit together. I’ve been saying it until I’m blue in the face. In my opinion If he would stick four down linemen out there with the ends crashing outside, tackles inside, and 2 lbs or 1 lb and one DB filling gaps we would be way better on defense. I’d rather see 4-1-6 than 3-2-6.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Meekins was a uh. Beck was getting run out of osu as was Mehringer out of Rutgers. Drayton has the personality of a military prep school Dean.

Other than Orlando not a single person Herman has hired has been missed from their previous job. Even after coaching at Texas and winning a sugar bowl we couldn’t even pawn off some of these coaches to the FCS level. That’s should tell you the value of the staff we currently have.

Edited by Not a Sock

Those of you saying it's just injuries and youth need to head over to the run defense thread (with gifs).  We have alignments and edge responsibilities that basically cede 10 yards to the offense before the ball is even snapped, coupled with seniors not knowing what to do and blowing assignments.  That's not the kind of stuff that just fixes itself with time.

• Like 4

I was defending TO after the LSU game. After we slowed down OSU (ST mistakes aside), I thought that at least we had a solid run defense and our DBs would get better with experience and maturity. After re-watching mush of yesterday's game and looking at the damning statistics (missed tackles, yards given up per play, lack of QB contain, etc.), I admit my initial angle was way off (pun intended). Our defenders could not contain Hurts and took terrible angles all day long. The missed tackles (especially against Lamb) were straight up embarrassing. BJ Foster looked like a fucking idiot, having made those pregame comments. In the times we were able to contain and pressure Hurts, he made several bad throws, including a pick. The capability was always there, but the training and the sound game plan was not. The lack of development of fundamental skills is 100% on the coaching. TO, Washington, and Naviar are all clearly neglecting the basics. Youth can only be an excuse against the likes of LSU, where their WR's are all physical specimen. Does anyone remember how the likes of Quandre Diggs and  Carrington Byndom looked in 2011(before the Diaz effect took place)? They made some mistakes, but they did not look stupid in Big12 play. 

Yesterday's defense did enough to keep us in the game. But with better coaching and development, they could have done enough to win us the game.

8 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Why is it that every time we have a new DC our defense kicks ass? Diaz year one,, Robinson turnaround, Bedford year one, Orlando year one...

j guess what I’m saying is name Chris Ash interim DC right now and then hire whoever next year and keep them on a short leash.

Year 1 they always keep it simple... Year 2 they always make it too complicated

On 10/12/2019 at 8:19 PM, orangecat92 said:

I understand our D is ranked number 128.  So, it will finish number 100-110 ish, if we're lucky.  Doesn't Tom have to sit down with CDC and evaluate coaches at the end of the season? 

How does he justify keeping the architect of number 100 ish? 

yeah, using yards given up is a terrible measure for the effectiveness or lack of effectiveness by a defense - this isn't 1970.

advanced statistics give us a much better view of how good or bad generally a defense is and includes things like backing out garbage time (who cares if you give up a 75 yard drive with your 2nd and 3rd teamers out there in a game when you are up 40 points?), adjusting for the quality of offenses you play (getting smoked by OU is different than getting smoked by San DIego State), and the tempo of said offenses (Army and Washington State play at drastically different speeds)

S&P+ has the Texas defense at #66 (#5 offense)

FEI has the Texas defense at #48 (#8 offense)

there are plenty of reasons to shit on Orlando and plenty of ammo to do so - but using antiquated statistics for measuring how actually good or bad a defense is is a poor way to do so. shit on Texas for being #66 overall in defense - when they should be better.

there is a reason we don't use batting average or RBI to represent how actually good or bad a player was in Baseball anymore, it is the same way in football...

• Like 5