To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

From DBU to DBwho?

How do we make 5-star talent look mediocre.

Our corners are freshmen, true sophomores and in Jaminson’s circumstance a true sophomore playing his first year on defense. Our 05 secondary was trash when they were young, that is just the way it is more times than not.

We don’t have the personnel to make material changes. We are going to continue to play and hope the young corners grow up and figure out/learn to play the ball in the air. The only way they will get better is with experience, and we have no other choice.

I’ll take this defensive game every day of the week. The offense fucking shit the bed. Sam was forcing throws to try and make the big play, Sam missing the comeback route 3-5 times, the offense not being able to get a push in the run game with two high safeties throughout the first 2.5 quarters.

We have yet to play a game where the offense is on and the defense has been acceptable. That should be next week. CJ being back will help the offense tremendously.

We are going to beat the shit out of OU.

Fuck them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It would be nice if the youth would get better.

It’s only been 5 games and there’s already been marked improvement with the CBS, including Green against OSU. They’re not just going to magically turn into All-American any next week, but there has been noticeable improvement. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

We gave up close to 7 yards per play against a bad team with a QB who was on tilt, and this wasn’t even close to our worst game of the year on defense.   Orlando shouldn’t get credit because our new normal is so bad that today looks good by comparison and because Jamison balled out on a couple of INTs.

The defense isn’t right.

If you take out the 2 garbage time drives out, they were below 6 YPP and when combined with the 4 picks is a good game. 

Again, not including the garbage time drives, they only scored on 3/14 drives, and that includes the FG they kicked when starting on our own 15. This game wasn’t perfect by any means, but the defense was the best of the three phases and gave a winning performance while overcoming a lot of key injuries.

Idk what people expect, but our defense is still thin/weak at some spots where Strong left us very little from the 16 and 17 classes and the days of any defense dominating teams play in and play out are over. No one in the country does that anymore. Hell, Gary Patterson has given up 41 to SMU and 49 to ISU in the last three weeks.

A ton of people on this site have complained about both OSU and WVU. Neither game was perfect, but they were both good performances and people upset with those games need to readjust their expectations based on our personnel and the landscape of college football. This defense was always going to have issues this year due to personnel and youth, but they’ve been steadily improving and will likely continues to do so over the course of the season. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s only been 5 games and there’s already been marked improvement with the CBS, including Green against OSU. They’re not just going to magically turn into All-American any next week, but there has been noticeable improvement. 

For once I just want to make a QB making his first career start to look like a QB making his first career start.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

For once I just want to make a QB making his first career start to look like a QB making his first career start.

When have we played a QB making his first career start? Kendall was on his 5th start and has been in college for 4 years. 

Also, we forced the QB today to throw 4 picks while the game still mattered. He had like 250 yards, 1 TD and 4 INTs before garbage time, so I really have no clue what your complaint is.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

When have we played a QB making his first career start? Kendall was on his 5th start and has been in college for 4 years. 

Also, we forced the QB today to throw 4 picks while the game still mattered. He had like 250 yards, 1 TD and 4 INTs before garbage time, so I really have no clue what your complaint is.

Your correct, I meant to say first year starting. WVU is the worst offensive in the Big 12 this year yet they were still in it when the fourth quarter started. They haven't been able to run all year, this felt like a game were we couple blitz all day and go away comfortably but instead lined up in a 3 man front for half the game and let him pick us apart.

23 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Our most glaring problem is not getting pressure on the QB. Yesterday's game netted zero sacks for the defense. Opposing QBs have all day to throw. You can't cover everyone after about 5 seconds.

CHIEF

Our lack of pressure is generally by design. We’ve decided to keep offenses in front of us between the 20’s and play defense that suffices, but doesn’t necessarily satisfy. 

Its a defensible strategy given our injury situation, youth and top 20 offense.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Our most glaring problem is not getting pressure on the QB. Yesterday's game netted zero sacks for the defense. Opposing QBs have all day to throw. You can't cover everyone after about 5 seconds.

CHIEF

The problem is that our DL were not nearly as disruptive or effective as they were against OSU/should have been against this WVU line, so getting pressure the  requires us to leave at least one guy 1 on 1 down the field, and so far none of our DBs have shown they can hold up there. Foster and Cook both gave up big plays while being in position in 1 on 1s against WVU and most times this season Orlando has called something that leaves a CB or a safety 1 on 1, he’s gotten burned for it. 

I expect this will improve by the end of the year, but right now Orlando is in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation and sacrificing pressure for not getting burned is the right call. 

The cloud defense or whatever the fuck it’d called is not working for us. We get zero pressure on the QB and our DBs can’t guard their man for 10 seconds. I just don’t understand how Orlando keeps getting abused doesn’t change it up. He always come out in games and we get toasted 

44 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The cloud defense or whatever the fuck it’d called is not working for us. We get zero pressure on the QB and our DBs can’t guard their man for 10 seconds. I just don’t understand how Orlando keeps getting abused doesn’t change it up. He always come out in games and we get toasted 

We were missing 3 starters going into the game and then lost Chris Brown the first drive and Foster the second. They then scored 3 points while the game was in question the rest of the way. 

You’re the same guy who was whining about Orlando blitzing every play against LSU and calling for his job for that. We don’t have the guys to get pressure with 4 or less and we don’t have the CBs to hold up if we bring more. This defense has severe personnel limitations right now, but people just ignore them. Charlie didn’t recruit any good edge rushers and he didn’t recruit any good CBs after the 15 class. Shockingly, those are the most glaring holes on a team where the 16 and 17 classes compose all of our upperclassmen. 

Orlando is much better off dropping guys deep like he has against WVU and OSU rather than trying to get a bunch of pressure. He’s recognized that and people should be glad. We don’t need (nor do we have the personnel for) a dominant defense this year, we just need them to not get killed every single drive and Orlando’s achieved that since LSU. 

• Like 4

On 10/6/2019 at 12:51 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Our lack of pressure is generally by design. We’ve decided to keep offenses in front of us between the 20’s and play defense that suffices, but doesn’t necessarily satisfy. 

Its a defensible strategy given our injury situation, youth and top 20 offense.  

I posted the Per Possession stats from adjustedstats.com elsewhere, but they basically point this out. The per possession defense is waaaaaay better than the per play and yardage-total numbers suggest. Still lots of things to gripe about, but it's pretty clear most of this is by design because Orlando is trying not to get burned early in drives, and is hoping for enough stops (as many by turnover as possible) to let the offense win the game.

Given injuries, youth, and talent levels, I think it's hard to argue with (outside of how easy it is for Texas fans to argue with anything just on general principle).

52 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I posted the Per Possession stats from adjustedstats.com elsewhere, but they basically point this out. The per possession defense is waaaaaay better than the per play and yardage-total numbers suggest. Still lots of things to gripe about, but it's pretty clear most of this is by design because Orlando is trying not to get burned early in drives, and is hoping for enough stops (as many by turnover as possible) to let the offense win the game.

Given injuries, youth, and talent levels, I think it's hard to argue with (outside of how easy it is for Texas fans to argue with anything just on general principle).

Yup. The offense is dropping 40+ a game. Keeping other teams in the 30-35 point range isn’t fun, but it works for now.  

We might see marked improvement as we get healthy again on defense. We just need to get through the bye.   

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve never said Orlando should always use a 3 man rush. Orlando generally has to pick whether he wants to be sound over the top or get pressure, because our defense can’t do both right now. Schemes are opponent-specific, and he definitely shouldn’t use a bunch of 3 man rush in this game.

He needs to quit trying to scheme a free blitzer and let Ossai get a bunch of opportunities to rush against Proctor. 

I’ve never said Orlando should always use a 3 man rush. Orlando generally has to pick whether he wants to be sound over the top or get pressure, because our defense can’t do both right now. Schemes are opponent-specific, and he definitely shouldn’t use a bunch of 3 man rush in this game.
 He needs to quit trying to scheme a free blitzer and let Ossai get a bunch of opportunities to rush against Proctor. 

Agree 100%

On 9/29/2019 at 1:57 PM, LTtxfan said:

Not sure who Texas defensive analysts currently are but Chris Ash just got fired as head coach of Rutgers and has been on two different staffs with Herman (Iowa State 2009 and ohio state 2014).  Ash is getting over $8mill buyout... Maybe a defensive analyst candidate???

Chris Ash helping... Thx for finding tweet @Machinator 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yes. What is your whole thing with quarterback pressure?

At any rate we'll probably play Hurts differently than the last two guys who you could just keep throwing rope to until they hung themselves. 

i find that pressuring the qb is usually better than giving him 7 seconds to let their wr's get open. Because even the best Corners in the game isnt going to cover someone for 5-6 seconds and our young guys need help/ 

The argument over QB pressure isn’t about whether we should be blitzing 5 or 6 all the time. That creates the typical risk reward scenario where we can get beat deep for TD’s. Those blitzes should be employed opportunistically.

The argument is whether we should have more consistent 4 man pressure on most plays, with that pressure coming from down or hybrid linemen. Right now, Orlando runs a 3 man pressure quite a bit or he rushes the fourth man from various different defensive spots. That creates some complexity for the defense in ensuring there is proper gap control and secondary coverage.

In my opinion the defense would see more success by just having Ossai be the fourth rusher on a higher percentage of plays, minimize the number of 3 man looks, and utilize 4, 5 and 6 man blitzes more opportunistically.

I have to admit this is my perception of what the defense has been doing but I’ve never actually gone play by play and added up the numbers for what’s been really called on defense. Some surly nerd could fairly quickly get the numbers. It would be interesting to see. Maybe my perception is wrong.

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Is Ash a good DC?

@texasstrong12 had a post that included this tweet

(Fyi...The Ohio State/Wisconsin game Herman was referring to above was Nov 17th, 2012.  Ash became DC at ohio state in 2014, while Herman was still OC there.)

Also found a good article talking about Ash as a Defensive Coordinator (below)

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/1/15/5310280/how-new-ohio-state-dc-chris-ash-attacks-the-zone-read

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2