Best HS Player You Played Against?

MaybeACoordinator

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Casey Hampton would be my runner-up. 

I told a story about Casey Hampton taking our center and basically launching him at the QB as he was dropping back for a sack/fumble on 24/7 once. Brian Perroni was helping out the UT 24/7 board at that time. A couple of years later, that fucking douche appropriated that story and instead said it happened against Clear Lake. As if the fucking play was repeatable, when I called him on it, he claimed he also saw the maneuver against a separate team, CL. Um, no aggie, that play happened once. But yeah, Hampton shot putted our center at the QB. We played that film over and over, laughing, as our center got increasingly angrier while we did so. 

The winner for me is Rodney Mims at Clear Lake. He was electric and the best HS player I ever saw until I got to watch VY at Madison. Mims made 3 moves within 3 yards of where he caught a punt and I basically tackled air as he blew by me and went 80. That was fun in the film room. The dude scored like 40 touchdowns his junior year in big 5A against the likes of G Ball. He was unreal. His family got a settlement from the death of his father in the Phillips ship channel explosion and so he quit football before his senior year to blow money and get high. I ran into him once in my 20’s and he was one step short of living under a bridge. Moron. 

I was hoping you’d tell this story. Doesn’t have the center crying in the huddle bit, but it’s still gold.

Edited by Bateshorn

28 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Took a helmet to the chest from Robert Strait from Cuero. Thought I was going to die. 

Met a kid a few years ago who was going to be a freshman at Pflugerville Connally or Hendrickson that was related to Robert Strait (Cuero) and Derrick Strait (Austin Lanier). He was 6'7"and already had a  DE college football player body. He said he liked playing basketball better, though. Curious to learn who will be recruiting him.

Edited by Bevo

On 5/12/2018 at 10:05 PM, TtomTerrific said:

Rod Bernstein from Bryan High School.

He was a running back in high school before he went to aggy and then the Chargers as a TE and the best player in 14 5a by A TON back then.

I weighed a buck sixty-five in high school and actually lit him up from the secondary once.   My shining moment in football.

I retired shortly thereafter. 

That class of 83 at Bryan High School is why I quit football. Bernstein also played safety and liked to light up WR on quick slants. Ask me how I know. I never understood how that team didn't do better in the state playoffs. There were 5 players on that team that at least got a cup of coffee in the NFL.

Wrong sport, but at the time, Glendon Alexander (Newman Smith basketball).  He was unguardable.  

But in hindsight, it was Kenyon Martin.  My brother's quote after we played him ("How is that guy going to Cincinnati?") 

Baseball, not football.

Played against Ryan Langerhans when he was at RRHS. Incredible player, as you would imagine. Ontiveros was on that team, too. I think the '97 and '98 RRHS senior classes sent 8-9 guys to D1 schools (something like that ... good lord they were good).

The best guy i played WITH was robert "radar" holt who played WR opposite me after i switched from QB.  i ran the wishbone, we went to a pro style offense just to get him the ball.  i was thrown to about once a game, he got 95% of the action.  he later played for baylor then for the buffalo bills.

best i played AGAINST was probably the entire garland owls backfield quarterbacked by herkie walls,  who of course later played for the longhorns. they ran the wishbone and their backfield was also their sprint relay team.  he and the Love brothers, randy love later played for houston cougars and both the patriots and cardinals in the NFL.  dwayne love who went to houston and the rams and donnie love who also played for the cougars.  they beat us 48-22 one year and the next 25-7.  i can't believe we held them to only 25 points with those guys.

Not necessarily in HS and my list:

Basketball:

Darius Miles - AAU Ball

OJ McClintock - when he was at westwood

Pickup games:  TJ Ford, Chris Mihm, PJ Tucker, etc. plus others like the griffin bros (dbs)

Baseball:

Peoples' bros like Nick and his middle brother

Danks' bros (basketball and racquetball)

Many who went on to play D1 ball throughout little league and now old man softball

4 minutes ago, Doc Holliday said:

Baseball:

Peoples' bros like Nick and his middle brother

Danks' bros (basketball and racquetball)

You're just a few years younger than me if I remember right. I coached Jordan Danks after I graduated from college (just a tiny bit, he wouldn't remember), but that dude was unreal. I never had to hit off of John in high school, but there's a good reason he had a long MLB career.

Kelly Johnson was a Freshman at Westwood the year after I graduated. He played varsity all four years (naturally), and I went back to watch them play several times. Kid was crazy good.

Edited by capnamerca

Arthur Whittington\
Calvin(?) Blackwell
Marion Harper

All from Cuero.  There is a question mark in relation to Calvins name due to the fact he was the left side defensive end responsible for the QM (me) on our veer offense.  Between himself and Mr Harper I had the worst of my concussions in high school.  I remember the following Monday watching film and our coach screaming "dammit shooter, you've got to protect yourself", to which shooter replied, "gotta fucking gun"?   Many gassers followed much laughter.

Also played against a guy from Uvalde named Ronnie Rogers, who I think wound up at UT on scholarship but was lost to personal and or drug problems.  Or at least those were the rumors.

Edit:  Would be unfair to leave out a teamate, Terry Monroe.  He was a beast of a man even as a small child.  He wound up at UH and did the journeyman defensive lineman thing in the NFL for a few years.  Damned glad I didn't have to play against him.

Edited by SHOOTER12

I played ultimate frisbee in Central Park against John F Kennedy Junior (John John). I know it's not HS football but since his girlfriend at the time, Darryl Hannah, showed up to watch, does that make it any more acceptable? Some dumbass was walking by and asked to take her picture. (this was pre-cell phone days) She said no, and he persisted. Finally, we all walked over and told him that he wouldn't be taking her picture and that he should leave. He got the message and left. 

Luckily for Darryl, their relationship ended before John John got his flying license. 

• Like 1

I played ultimate frisbee in Central Park against John F Kennedy Junior (John John). I know it's not HS football but since his girlfriend at the time, Darryl Hannah, showed up to watch, does that make it any more acceptable? Some dumbass was walking by and asked to take her picture. (this was pre-cell phone days) She said no, and he persisted. Finally, we all walked over and told him that he wouldn't be taking her picture and that he should leave. He got the message and left. 
Luckily for Darryl, their relationship ended before John John got his flying license. 

She probably couldn’t see all of it anyway.

20 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I tackled the fuck out of Barry Sanders as a skinny 5'10 150 lb free safety my freshman year.

Actually in reality, he caught a pass out of the slot and didn't even see me and ran me over and tripped in the process.

but I tripped the fuck out of him.

We must be from the same area and about the same age. I was a freshman (not on varsity) the year my HS played Barry Sanders in the districts, his senior year, after he moved to running back. We had an all-state player at DB who we thought was fast (ended up going to WSU as a WR a year or two before they dropped the FB program).  Barry went the distance and just smoked our all state player. Guy told me a couple years later he felt like he was running in water chasing after him.

My dad played versus John Riggins the one year he played football. Would have been 1A (smallest 11 man) or even 8 man. He got his clocked cleaned trying to tackle Riggins.  Didn't play the rest of the game. Probably had a concussion.  My dad sad everyone from the area thought John's older brother was a better football player, but his brother gave up college to go home and farm. Guess his older brother's heart was in farming, not football.

Best guy I played with was Jim Hanna. Was a 4 year starter in baseball, basketball and football. All-state in at least 2 (probably all 3) of them. Was a 6'5" man in 8th grade. Was offered by OU among other football offers. Went to an open Royals tryout. Hit a homer in the stadium when the fences were way back and it was very hard to go yard in. The Royals offered him a minor league contract after the tryout. Declined it and ended up going to Kansas to play baseball. But he had a weakness. He was already having knee surgery in middle school. Had to give up baseball at KU. His knees just could not take the sports grind any longer. Pretty sure he could have been a NFL TE if he had good knees.

1 hour ago, Jhawkmvp said:

We must be from the same area and about the same age. I was a freshman (not on varsity) the year my HS played Barry Sanders in the districts, his senior year, after he moved to running back. We had an all-state player at DB who we thought was fast (ended up going to WSU as a WR a year or two before they dropped the FB program).  Barry went the distance and just smoked our all state player. Guy told me a couple years later he felt like he was running in water chasing after him.

My dad played versus John Riggins the one year he played football. Would have been 1A (smallest 11 man) or even 8 man. He got his clocked cleaned trying to tackle Riggins.  Didn't play the rest of the game. Probably had a concussion.  My dad sad everyone from the area thought John's older brother was a better football player, but his brother gave up college to go home and farm. Guess his older brother's heart was in farming, not football.

Best guy I played with was Jim Hanna. Was a 4 year starter in baseball, basketball and football. All-state in at least 2 (probably all 3) of them. Was a 6'5" man in 8th grade. Was offered by OU among other football offers. Went to an open Royals tryout. Hit a homer in the stadium when the fences were way back and it was very hard to go yard in. The Royals offered him a minor league contract after the tryout. Declined it and ended up going to Kansas to play baseball. But he had a weakness. He was already having knee surgery in middle school. Had to give up baseball at KU. His knees just could not take the sports grind any longer. Pretty sure he could have been a NFL TE if he had good knees.

John Riggins was a bad man who had bad intentions when running the ball at you.  The only player that I can think of that I would have feared more would have been Larry Csonka. 

Barry's older brother Byron was the bruising tailback.  They used Barry out in the slot because he wasn't as big (yet) and once he was in space you couldn't catch him.

I am not familiar with Jim Hanna.  I graduated from Carroll in '88.

• Like 1

Eric Everett from Daingerfield.  It was in a scrimmage fortunately.  Most people that know Texas HS football knows about the Daingerfield program in the early '80's.

Also, not sure of his name, we called him "Marvin".  He was from Liberty Eylau.  Played TE and trucked everyone in his path.  He looked 25.

Played with Chris Shafer.  He was a LT and a DT.  Meanest person I ever came across on the field. Quiet and meek as a mouse off of the field.  Went on to play and start for Texas Tech as a guard.

Casey Hampton was the most dominant high school player I ever played against. By played against, I was a sophomore on the bench and watched him violently abuse out best lineman by throwing him 5 yards into the backfield every play. That guy later played div 1 (kind of) at NM St.

Best guy I actually played against was Quentin Jammer. That Angleton team was dogshit. It was Jammer and a bunch of slappys. Jammer was FS and I was TE. Like a chickenshit, I decided to cut his knees every play even when we were no where near the action. He ended up kicking me in the head and drawing a Personal Foul. Possible highlight of my HS career. Jammer was also the QB on offense and it appeared that the offensive philosophy was to let him run around and do whatever he wanted because the rest of the team was terrible. We were winning late in the 4th quarter until a play in which I was split out and obviously had Jammer in man coverage on me. I could see our inexperienced soph qb looking at me and I was nodding my head “no.” I ran a 5 and for a second thought I was about to catch it until Jammer came out of nowhere, pick 6’ed it and we lost.

• Like 2

I never played against Hampton but as a former fullback from roughly that era I ran into a few fireplugs of his type. Beaumont Kelly had a dude named Thomas Kelly and trying to block or run over him was like trying to take on a fat telephone pole. I remember I'd head in the hole screaming like a little Catholic banzai warrior (I went to Strake) and just get stood up, no matter how hard I tried. It was like trying to knock over an old-school fire hydrant....But I know Lewis was like 2/3 the athlete Hampton was. I mean, that short little dude could fucking dunk! God damn that's power. He really should be in the HOF, but NGs don't rack up stats, so he probably won't, but he was one of the greatest players of the Mack era for sure. 

7 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Eric Everett from Daingerfield.  It was in a scrimmage fortunately.  Most people that know Texas HS football knows about the Daingerfield program in the early '80's.

I assume he’s related the cowboys’ thomas everett?  also from daingerfield. 

59 minutes ago, futureman said:

I assume he’s related the cowboys’ thomas everett?  also from daingerfield. 

Yes, he is the younger brother of Thomas.  He played for Tech and in the pros for 4 or 5 years as well.  When you hear "Daingerfield" you think of the Everett, Mims, Herndon, and Edmond families.  They produced a lot of stud athletes.