2021 Houston Texans Ain't Shit Season Thread

Brothahorn

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I hate the desire to become Patriots South as much as anyone, but I actually think he could be good.  Apparently viewed as a definite up-and-comer, and I think former Belichick players who move into coaching (i.e. Vrabel) aren't necessarily cut from the same cloth as the Belichick assistants who inevitably fail at their next gigs.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

While Flores seems to be an up-and-comer I just don't see how it works with him and current Texan ownership given his issues with Miami ownership. I thought Culley earned another year given what he had to work with and how hard the team was playing in the in. First time in long time I actually started watching more of their games because of it.

all he has to do his walk into the interview holding a bible 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, Chad said:

2022 Houston Texans Still ain't shit thread.

Seriously though what kind of dumb fucks fire a coach one year into a rebuild? Fire the GM for not unloading Watson and bringing in a bunch of mediocre vets on one year deals.

I’m not sure how many times this needs to be explained but he was literally hired because he probably couldn’t handle the job and we would tank, then could fire him, get a new guy, and start the rebuild without him. 

14 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

I’m not sure how many times this needs to be explained but he was literally hired because he probably couldn’t handle the job and we would tank, then could fire him, get a new guy, and start the rebuild without him. 

So explain his 5 year contract. 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

So explain his 5 year contract. 

They’re morons for doing that, can’t explain that.

Regardless - get a coach that can’t coach, let your superstar QB sit instead of playing hardball with him so the tank is even worse. Then get great draft status and trade QB for even more draft pieces, or maybe try to bring him back if possible once you’ve fixed major OL issues in draft.

Go get new coach who can actually coach to work the rebound. It’s a simple formula and it appears to be playing out. Texans could fuck up a bowl of cereal so not saying they’re playing (3D) chess but the rest of the writing is on the wall.

Culley was a fall guy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Jshep34 said:

They wonder why local fans are turning away. Cal makes it impossible to support this garbage franchise

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fans are turning away because they are losing, and that's mainly due to incompetence at the top. But as any Houston sports fan knows, winning cures everything.

It wasn't too long ago that the Astros were pulling zero ratings on local TV.

• Like 2

He was the perfect coach to continue the tank job into next year, so I have to imagine that the players just didn't have much respect for him.  I completely understand why, especially if the rumors of Caserio being in his ear on game day are true.  I've never heard of a GM doing that.  Hell, JJ isn't even that invasive in Dallas.

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

True but they could at least get a little Cubs-like devotion for the time being  if anyone associated with the franchise seemed the least bit likeable 

I remember as a boy when the Oilers went 2-14 and the whole city still loved them.

Houstonians want to love their football team the way Chicagoans love their Cubs.  But this collection of idiots is making it really difficult.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I felt like Culley overachieved, so they hired him with the plan of firing him. Only he didn't seem to be in on it. So that's why they deserve to be ridiculed.

Overachieved? Did you watch the fucking games he coached? He cost the Texans 2 games because of his horrific game management decisions. Why don’t people get that you can still evaluate and grade coaching even if the players suck. He got $2 million. Dumber than Charlie Strong - a 65 year old which no other team ever considered to be worthy of being a coordinator. I was there from the beginning calling this coach out. God damn it; the Texans just need to make me in charge. I go through and read up on up and coming GM and coaching candidates and keep tabs on players I’d have on my draft board. Put me in charge. It can’t get worse.

Just now, Macklemore said:

Overachieved? Did you watch the fucking games he coached? He cost the Texans 2 games because of his horrific game management decisions. Why don’t people get that you can still evaluate and grade coaching even if the players suck. He got $2 million. Dumber than Charlie Strong - a 65 year old which no other team ever considered to be worthy of being a coordinator. I was there from the beginning calling this coach out. God damn it; the Texans just need to make me in charge. I go through and read up on up and coming GM and coaching candidates and keep tabs on players I’d have on my draft board. Put me in charge. It can’t get worse.

Well first of all it's a joke they hired him in the first place and that's the whole point. They never meant for him to succeed. Which is a fucking stupid way to operate, but it's the Houston Texans.

Anyway they gave him no control of coaching hires. Didn't have a good roster. And they still won 4 games. Then they let him have a press conference on Monday where he said he didn't know what his future was and assumed he would be back. So if their plan was for him to be there a year, he sure didn't seem to be in on it.

And all for what? So they can go and hire Jerod Mayo or some other Patriots fuckface? Oh but they definitely aren't trying to be Patriots south, the owner said so.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Well first of all it's a joke they hired him in the first place and that's the whole point. They never meant for him to succeed. Which is a fucking stupid way to operate, but it's the Houston Texans.

Anyway they gave him no control of coaching hires. Didn't have a good roster. And they still won 4 games. Then they let him have a press conference on Monday where he said he didn't know what his future was and assumed he would be back. So if their plan was for him to be there a year, he sure didn't seem to be in on it.

And all for what? So they can go and hire Jerod Mayo or some other Patriots fuckface? Oh but they definitely aren't trying to be Patriots south, the owner said so.

Say what you will about Mayo but the comparison he draws are to Mike Vrabel and if he is close to that we have gotten lucky. I have ZERO faith or trust in this organization.

What I do know as someone who has been in charge is that you can’t have someone in an important position who is  viewed as gigantic idiot and a joke. You have to get rid of someone like that no matter how nice he is or if you think he is not causing too many problems. People like him are like a rotting head attached to a live person. You need to cut it the fuck off. Caserio can’t have his first full draft class - which he needs to nail, being shaped by a coach that everyone from the fans, media, players, GM and owner I’m sure think is a moron, yes man that NO ONE respects.

Edited by Macklemore

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I remember as a boy when the Oilers went 2-14 and the whole city still loved them.

Houstonians want to love their football team the way Chicagoans love their Cubs.  But this collection of idiots is making it really difficult.

They have been so arrogant and inconsiderate of the fans. All I want is to get excited for Sundays to go to a game at NRG, have a team you are proud of instead of being embarrassed about when you’re traveling and people ask if you’re a Texans fan and believe we have a team committed to winning. Not a high bar but they have laughably failed with their tone-deaf hubris. I loved the Oilers, followed this team since they’re in my hometown but they’ve never earned my love. Htown would go nuts if we had a real winner that would finally get us the promise land.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I hear your point and it is valid about the Texans under Cal McNair but to be honest, there were a ton of shitty fair-weather Houstonians who followed the Cowboys over the Oilers. I was eight when Earl was a rookie and I loved those Luv Ya Blue Oilers like no other sports team ever, but imo nostalgia makes many forget how popular the Cowboys were at the same time that the Oilers were winning. And that happened in both the late 70's and early 90's because the Cowboys won Super Bowls and the Oilers suffered heart-breaking losses. 

The nostalgia for the Oilers doesn't match my real life experience as an Oilers diehard and I wonder about the appreciation those teams get today. Maybe it's a function of the internet age where we appreciate old shit from the past and think the uniforms were really cool, but I always felt like a second-class NFL citizen fighting upstream as an Oilers fan. I'm sure I wasn't alone, I had a group of college buddies who ritualized every Oilers game with me, but the Oilers did not get the same love and affection back then that they get online today. 

• Like 1

In a vacuum, firing Culley is a completely defensible decision. Dude is so far from head coach material and should have never gotten the job. The only way the hire made sense in the first place was if he was hired purely to be a scapegoat. That said, $22M for a bridge coach is insane and the backlash for firing a black coach after one season could have been predicted by anyone with a working brain.

So either:
1) Culley was hired as a one or two year experiment with absolutely no consideration paid to money or PR ramifications
2) They genuinely thought Culley was the guy

Honesty not sure which is worse.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

They have been so arrogant and inconsiderate of the fans. All I want is to get excited for Sundays to go to a game at NRG, have a team you are proud of instead of being embarrassed about when you’re traveling and people ask if you’re a Texans fan and believe we have a team committed to winning. Not a high bar but they have laughably failed with their tone-deaf hubris. I loved the Oilers, followed this team since they’re in my hometown but they’ve never earned my love. Htown would go nuts if we had a real winner that would finally get us the promise land.
And open that fancy ass roof we paid for.!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

I hear your point and it is valid about the Texans under Cal McNair but to be honest, there were a ton of shitty fair-weather Houstonians who followed the Cowboys over the Oilers. I was eight when Earl was a rookie and I loved those Luv Ya Blue Oilers like no other sports team ever, but imo nostalgia makes many forget how popular the Cowboys were at the same time that the Oilers were winning. And that happened in both the late 70's and early 90's because the Cowboys won Super Bowls and the Oilers suffered heart-breaking losses. 
The nostalgia for the Oilers doesn't match my real life experience as an Oilers diehard and I wonder about the appreciation those teams get today. Maybe it's a function of the internet age where we appreciate old shit from the past and think the uniforms were really cool, but I always felt like a second-class NFL citizen fighting upstream as an Oilers fan. I'm sure I wasn't alone, I had a group of college buddies who ritualized every Oilers game with me, but the Oilers did not get the same love and affection back then that they get online today. 

I remember during those Luv Ya Blue years when the Oilers playoff games were blacked out due to shitty tix sales. When UH had the most explosive offense in history and played in front of 7000 folks, a situation that catalyzed the end of the SWC.