RIP Norm Macdonald

Texas Flood

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Oh look. Someone made an edit to the wiki page for Chairman of the Board. Certainly they wouldn't tarnish Norm's legacy by taking it down.

image.png.dff1d9268ee4b6d906ef08b49a335f5c.png

And that someone?

You guessed it! 

Frank Stallone.

Edited by Lobo

On 9/14/2021 at 10:00 PM, ztejas said:

That's tough man. Celebrity deaths are weird. There are hugely famous people that go where I don't even bat an eye and then there are more niche figures that hit me hard. I think Norm was pretty beloved in general but for some of us it's a 61 year old comedian that we enjoyed, for others it's a personal favorite that left a lasting impression.

I have a musician in particular that still fucks me up at times when stuff about him comes up or I listen to certain songs at certain times in my life. It says something about the human experience that we can derive so much emotion from people that we've never met. Pretty fascinating if you think about it. 

Yep, one of the things I always key on is the reactions to Norm by other comics who were/are hugely successful in their own rights. They were utterly unable to defend themselves against Norm's wit and impeccable timing, and especially against the brutal honesty of his comedy. Watching Norm reduce Conan, Stewart, Letterman, Miller, Seinfeld, etc, etc to lumps of hysterical laughter is just a joy to watch. They clearly idolized the guy, and rightfully so.

Here's Norm's appearance on the Larry Sanders show with Larry, Hank, & Artie. NSIAP. Shandling shoulda had his own talk show IRL. Would have been amazing & one of the best ever.

Norm is ahead of Bill Hicks, Garry Shandling & a couple others as my all time favorite ... all taken far too soon. With his extraordinarily funny satirical cynicism, it felt at times like Norm was speaking to me. I am just gutted. Rest in Peace, GOAT. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep, one of the things I always key on is the reactions to Norm by other comics who were/are hugely successful in their own rights. They were utterly unable to defend themselves against Norm's wit and impeccable timing, and especially against the brutal honesty of his comedy. Watching Norm reduce Conan, Stewart, Letterman, Miller, Seinfeld, etc, etc to lumps of hysterical laughter is just a joy to watch. They clearly idolized the guy, and rightfully so.

Here's Norm's appearance on the Larry Sanders show with Larry, Hank, & Artie. NSIAP. Shandling shoulda had his own talk show IRL. Would have been amazing & one of the best ever.

Norm is ahead of Bill Hicks, Garry Shandling & a couple others as my all time favorite ... all taken far too soon. With his extraordinarily funny satirical cynicism, it felt at times like Norm was speaking to me. I am just gutted. Rest in Peace, GOAT. 

Just watched that clip of Norm on Dennis Miller, it was great.

Is this the first long running joke Norm did on Conan?

7 hours ago, wood said:

Shandling almost had his own talk show “iRL.” It was called “The Tonight Show.” Instead they gave the job to Jay Leno. So Shandling made a revolutionary fake talk show on HBO that parodied The Tonight Show. It was genius.

That’s not really a showcase of Norm’s comedy. Do you think they shot that in one take? That was theater. The Larry Sanders Show was one of the all time great shows but don’t confuse the parts of the show that were supposedly live on tape like Carson’s show as actually being live on tape. That was all staged.

And Henry Winkler was funnier in that clip than Norm was.

I need to rewatch my Larry Sanders DVD’s. (RIP, Garry.)

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Shandling almost had his own talk show “iRL.” It was called “The Tonight Show.” Instead they gave the job to Jay Leno. So Shandling made a revolutionary fake talk show on HBO that parodied The Tonight Show. It was genius.

That’s not really a showcase of Norm’s comedy. Do you think they shot that in one take? That was theater. The Larry Sanders Show was one of the all time great shows but don’t confuse the parts of the show that were supposedly live on tape like Carson’s show as actually being live on tape. That was all staged.

Yeah. I know.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:51 PM, GTX Horn said:

I do think there’s something to the rumors that Andy tried to keep Norm from coming onto the TBS show after the Swedish-German joke

That shit was absolute pure brilliance, and was a great example imho of just how fucking smart Norm was, and his ability to just come up with amazing shit on the fly ... pulling this joke out of his head on the spot, adapting it to fit Andy's Swedish-German roots, and then executing it perfectly on a national stage. Unreal.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:28 PM, BrickHorn said:

It’s a shaggy dog story. The punchline isn’t the point, and it’s not supposed to be original. The artistry is in the long-winded delivery and the ability of the joke teller to hold the audience’s attention and inspire laughter along the way. 

It’s like The Aristocrats. Comics prove their delivery chops by killing with old, lame material. 

Exactly. And Andy still doesn't get it. Then the pinnacle of the whole thing is when Norm chimes in "You weren't gay. You were raped". And everyone including me & esp Conan loses their collective shit. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Man, this sucks. RIP, Norm. One of the best ever. I always think of his line in Billy Madison 

"Hey, Billy. Oh right, he's in school". 

Makes me chuckle every time 

I was always partial to how he followed up "He called the shit 'poop'" with "This is the best night of my life."

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Never saw this before, but this is hilarious:

it has to be performance art, but here is letterman saying something about her too.

https://www.eonline.com/news/856102/david-letterman-compares-amy-schumer-to-richard-pryor-she-s-a-real-breakthrough

what on earth?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy shit, Larry King is dead?  I had no idea.  Well, I guess Norm was right---they come in threes.  

Still, if I'm Letterman or Cosby, I'd be extra careful about now.  (his fucking story about Cosby calling Norm's dead feather just kills me every time)

Edited by Lobo

On 10/30/2021 at 5:59 PM, gsoda3 said:

Wait a second, norm was a judge on last comic standing where Amy Schumer won it all. How does that jive?

She wasn’t as fat 10 years ago and couldn’t write an act that wasn’t about her vagina or being slutty. This probably appealed to Norm’s interests. 

• 5 months later...