RIP Norm Macdonald

Texas Flood

Lost one of the greats

Norm Macdonald, whose laconic delivery of sharp and incisive observations made him one of Saturday Night Live‘s most influential and beloved cast members, died today after a nine-year private battle with cancer. He was 61.

Macdonald’s death was announced to Deadline by his management firm Brillstein Entertainment. The comedian’s longtime producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra, who was with him at the time of his death this morning, said Macdonald had been battling cancer for nearly a decade but was determined to keep his health struggles private, away from family, friends and fans.

“He was most proud of his comedy,” Hoekstra said. “He never wanted the diagnosis to affect the way the audience or any of his loved ones saw him. Norm was a pure comic. He once wrote that ‘a joke should catch someone by surprise, it should never pander.’ He certainly never pandered. Norm will be missed terribly.”

Macdonald was an SNL cast member from 1993-98, making his greatest impact as the anchor of the show’s “Weekend Update” segments for three seasons. Remembered both for his droll style — and for his refusal to go easy on O.J. Simpson despite reported pressure from SNL execs — Macdonald would prove one of the most impactful “Update” anchors, pivoting away from the slapstick approach of Chevy Chase and toward the more barbed political approach of his successor Colin Quinn.

Born on October 17, 1959, in Quebec City, Macdonald started his show business career in the comedy clubs of Canada, developing the deadpan style that would become both his trademark and a highly influential touchstone for a generation of comics. A contestant on Star Search in 1990, he was hired to write for Roseanne Barr’s sitcom Roseanne for the 1992-93 season before landing a coveted gig at NBC’s Saturday Night Live.

Macdonald’s departure from the show was controversial in itself, and he often attributed his firing to his continued lambasting of O.J. Simpson as a murderer despite what he said was the displeasure of Don Ohlmeyer, president of NBC’s West Coast division, who Macdonald said was a friend of the former football great.

After leaving SNL in 1998, Macdonald starred in his own comedy series, The Norm Show, from 1999 to 2001. Over the years he made numerous appearances on various late-night shows, including Late Night With David Letterman and Conan, and had a recurring role on The Middle.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/norm-macdonald-dead-obituary-comedian-saturday-night-live-weekend-update-anchor-was-61-1234833212/

Edited by Texas Flood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Saw him at Cap City I don't know when - maybe 5 or so years ago? I was just dying - he came out and seemed off his game, but I think that was just part of it because it was just surreal how funny he was. He may have done this every time he played at Cap City but he did a whole bit about Draculas, the Transylvanian restaurant next door. 

And i don't give a shit about what rotten tomatoes says, Dirty Work is a classic. Who would have thought that Artie Lange would outlive Norm.

Man, I just looked at twitter for a second and someone had tweeted "Chairman of the Bored" with a smiley face and I immediately knew what had happened. God damn - that was a guy that was just raw comedic talent and certified batshit insane.

He was so great at shit like this, where he interrupts Conan with "ALLEGEDLY, allegedly." *pause* "also, really"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Saw him at Cap City a few years ago, literally the hardest I’ve laughed in my life. I steal his “that guy was a real jerk” punchline all the time.

I was surprised he wasn’t part of Conan’s farewell run of episodes a couple months ago considering how important Norm was to that show, and how close he and Conan were as friends, I guess this was probably why.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

He may have done this every time he played at Cap City but he did a whole bit about Draculas, the Transylvanian restaurant next door. 

Yep. “Ladies love the draculas.”

The set we saw was a late show and he blew right through his usual set and just kept going for an extra hour or so. It was phenomenal.

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Saw him at Cap City I don't know when - maybe 5 or so years ago? I was just dying - he came out and seemed off his game, but I think that was just part of it because it was just surreal how funny he was. He may have done this every time he played at Cap City but he did a whole bit about Draculas, the Transylvanian restaurant next door. 

I was there.  Absolute rock solid gold.  Way more than 5 years though.  More like 12.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn.

I saw him live at the Cap City Comedy Club back in law school. I was telling my wife (I didn't meet her until several years later) that it was the best live stand up I've ever seen, and if he ever came back through town post-COVID we would make a point to see him. 

RIP Norm, you were one funny dude. 

24 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I saw him there as well - I think it must have been the same show - but it was more than 10 years ago if my memory is correct - pretty sure I was still in law school, and I graduated from law school in 2009. If it was after law school it was not long after, and it was def before I met my wife (we've been married 8 years). 

Best in person stand up I've ever seen (and I saw Mitch Hedberg live). 

• Hook 'Em 1

One of the funniest MFer's ever. Saw him at the Improv in Houston years ago. Still one of the best shows I've seen there. RIP
Same here. The show i saw Norm was in the back during his opening act and started random interrupting laughing at times that weren't funny and then started heckling him. Turned into a pretty good bit (i think lol) between the two