RIP Norm Macdonald

Texas Flood

3 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

The comedy central roast honestly made me think less of the members of the crowd.  There was all this tepid laughter and what sounds like charity, polite chuckling.  Meanwhile I have tears streaming down my face and think it’s may be the funniest set I’ve ever seen in my life.  Why isn’t everyone dying?!

Most of the audience seems to be douchebag celebrities and nobody bimbos incapable of independent thought. I love the roasts, most of them are hysterical.  As per usual, Norm's was one of one

Like you all, I considered Norm MacDonald to be one of the GOATs of comedy. My favorite by far. Nothing to add to the previous pages, but thanks for the videos and clips and laughs and memories. He is one of the few celebrity inspirations with which I looked upon in awe and with the utmost respect.

God bless this man.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, it makes me think less of Comedy Central for filling the audience with... I don't know who was there but I'm imagining Paris Hiltons and executives with their worthless children. I'm not a real student of comedy or its history, but roasts are supposed to be for the comedians, a ceremony in the religion of comedy where comedians just rip apart one of their own, as a show of respect. And then Comedy Central starts running them and they're roasting Pamela Anderson and Flava Flav. Donald Trump (no cr). And here is Norm Macdonald delivering a roast that is, if you're not laughing at the meta comedy of it, horrible television. It's only for the comedians, and it is hilarious.

Edited by Celery Man

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

I don’t think that’s disrespectful at all, and you’re right about his appearance. I had thought the same at the time and chalked it up it aging.

I recall Ernie Johnson on Inside the NBA looked similar when he was fighting cancer several years ago. It looked like his face had suffered a bad allergic reaction. I guess it’s a common side effect of some cancer treatments. 

A long time producing partner and close friend of Norm’s was on Bill Simmons’ podcast yesterday and he said that he and, to his knowledge, most all of Norm’s inner circle was oblivious to his battle with cancer. Just very close family and doctors were aware. He said, though, that many quietly thought that Norm was having health issues, especially in the past year, but it was never talked about and nobody assumed it was cancer. 

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Most of the audience seems to be douchebag celebrities and nobody bimbos incapable of independent thought. I love the roasts, most of them are hysterical.  As per usual, Norm's was one of one

Agreed.  I think only Gilbert Gottfried and Bob Saget what McDonald was doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

That’s genius. 99.9% of the time when anyone posts that someone “destroys” someone else, it doesn’t live up. But that’s total destruction. It’s like he could come up with everything in the moment that I think “I wish I would’ve said” after the fact. That’s true artistry. And just scorching. It’s brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I wonder who drew the short straw and married that Austin teacher?  And does her husband know about it?  I can just see him watching this clip today because of the recent news and her saying "hey that's me.". And hornian gets a new client.

A boy can dream 

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The only good thing that's come out of this is that I've laughed more in the last 24 hours than I have in years.

What a legend.

Same. I've spent hours rewatching some oldies but goodies and being pleasantly surprised with some new clilps/videos. I've laughed out loud more than a few times. Rest in power, King!

8 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I haven’t watched as much comedy as I used to, but Norm was one of the greats. He was such a troublemaker and I loved it. Haven’t seen this one posted yet where he fucks with Larry King. 

Norm was definitely one of the troublemakers.  One of the SNL alums said he's one of the last few comics that just didn't give a fuck.  Haven't seen anyone post the View appearance yet:

The reactions were great, Barbara didn't get it, he was just relentless. The Cosby thing is actually funnier in retrospect now.

Edited by ulukinatme
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah, it makes me think less of Comedy Central for filling the audience with... I don't know who was there but I'm imagining Paris Hiltons and executives with their worthless children. I'm not a real student of comedy or its history, but roasts are supposed to be for the comedians, a ceremony in the religion of comedy where comedians just rip apart one of their own, as a show of respect. And then Comedy Central starts running them and they're roasting Pamela Anderson and Flava Flav. Donald Trump (no cr). And here is Norm Macdonald delivering a roast that is, if you're not laughing at the meta comedy of it, horrible television. It's only for the comedians, and it is hilarious.

The best Comedy Central Roasts were the early ones. When nobody is watching, the jokes are better. 

been thinking a lot of andy kaufman's cancer with relation to this, and wondered if norm's thoughts on kaufman influenced his total silence on his sickness. then i saw something (maybe on this thread) where he describes himself as a low rent kaufman.  i don't know.  thought that was interesting.

Marc Maron reposted a interview he did with McDonald in 2011.  McDonald said a few times that the one thing he worried about all of the time was illness and dying.  Living with cancer for 9-10 years had to be hell.  I hope he found some peace and did not spend those years tortured emotionally (any more that living with a cancer diagnosis would do to anyone).

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Marc Maron reposted a interview he did with McDonald in 2011.  McDonald said a few times that the one thing he worried about all of the time was illness and dying.  Living with cancer for 9-10 years had to be hell.  I hope he found some peace and did not spend those years tortured emotionally (any more that living with a cancer diagnosis would do to anyone).

I listened this morning. Hard to hear him say his biggest issue was ruminating about illness and death knowing that within a year he was fighting cancer for the next decade. 

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

*Mac

9 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

been thinking a lot of andy kaufman's cancer with relation to this, and wondered if norm's thoughts on kaufman influenced his total silence on his sickness. then i saw something (maybe on this thread) where he describes himself as a low rent kaufman.  i don't know.  thought that was interesting.

I saw that too.  Kaufman had some great stuff, but I think Norm was pretty humble in saying he was a low rent copy.  He had impeccable timing and a unique delivery.  He was quick on his feet too, as you can see with the Courtney Thorne Smith interview and the View.  

I saw him do stand up at our local college back in '97.  He spent the first 15-20 minutes ripping our backwater college town, but he did it in such a way that it was funny.  Some people didn't like it, town pride I guess, but it was absolutely the truth which was what made it funny.  The guy was fearless and never pandered. 

Norm was definitely one of the troublemakers.  One of the SNL alums said he's one of the last few comics that just didn't give a fuck.  Haven't seen anyone post the View appearance yet:
The reactions were great, Barbara didn't get it, he was just relentless. The Cosby thing is actually funnier in retrospect now.

I didn’t think I could like him any more than I already did, but after watching him troll those cunts it pisses me off even more that he is gone.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

oh my god that is fucking hysterical. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1