Car buying now days

Shaddie

The point being that 400hp is a "top end" number that corresponds to top end speed that is virtually unusable on the street, other than interstate highway and even then.
Often, but somewhat less so in these turbo days, a healthy low-end torque number goes with that.  And that's where the daily driving fun comes in, at reasonable vehicle weight.  That 3.0L TT V6 makes 405 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm.  That will get you off the on-ramp and up someone's ass in 2.5 seconds.
I have ~600hp and i find it very drivable. And I like being able to hit 100 on the on ramp.
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 3:55 PM, midtown said:

You have two choices.  Order a truck now and you will pay MSRP.  Might take 3 months to get it.  Second.  Wait 3 months because the chip shortage is starting to soften based on everything I've read over the last few weeks.

So how did this turn out?

I have been monitoring the status on a car that's been "In Transit" since early February (2022 VW GTI). I had called the dealer when I first saw it online, then followed up about every 3-4 weeks via text. Last weekend, I saw they had a very similar used model, so I decided to go up there and look at it. I get there (unannounced BTW) and they guy said that car sold last night but he had the one that I've been waiting for, it had just come in the day before. Test drove it and made the deal. From my arrival to leaving with the car, I was there for 2 hours. One of the quickest car deals I've ever made. Most of the time was spent waiting for the papers to print. They offered 30.5k for my trade, I asked for 32.5k, we settled on 31.5k, which was right at what Carvana, Carmax and Vroom had offered me. I'm pleased with the deal.

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

Pic hosting site I signed up for says image is too big.  TWSS.  Any recs?

surly literally hosts pics.  use the "drag files here to attach or choose files..." line below your post.  you can do this on mobile as well. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, elfenix said:

surly literally hosts pics.  use the "drag files here to attach or choose files..." line below your post.  you can do this on mobile as well. 

also, it serves them up much faster than other sites because they generally don't use true CDN and to surly it's just fulfilling another request from the same server. 

I looked at the CT6 Blackwing when I was deciding on the E63s Wagon. What a sick engine and it's extinct for all we know. Those Cadillacs are nice af, but the V is a very different car than the platinum (I've driven both), it's about a lot more than just the engine as the V really is a track focused variant. TBH I preferred the non V as it's a way way better daily experience.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cadillac-ct6-v8-ct6v-engine-option/ for reference on what I'm talking about

I know the CT5 is different, but same general idea. I think @Moby Ric has a sick new whip. 

On 2/22/2022 at 2:25 PM, Bevo14 said:

Anybody have an opinion on paying cash? The internets tell me that you have an easier time getting a discount, but I would think that the dealerships would prefer it if you finance. Admittedly, I don't know shit about fuck though.

update: Well I just agreed to buy from a dealership. I thought my offer was reasonable (about another~1500 off) and they acted like I was trying to take their lunch money. Admittedly, it's a factory order so I wasn't expecting a big discount, especially with how shitty the climate is right now for this shit. Definitely won't be paying cash since this one is a little more than I was originally planning to spend...

Edited by Bevo14

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a good deal on a trusty, affordable '13 Honda a few years out of school when my old hand-me-down kicked the bucket in 2017. Paid it off this past June with ~90k miles. Our only vehicle with me working at home and wife going in just a couple times a week. Looking forward to running it into the ground over the rest of this decade.

Totaled in a hit and run while parked before July even ended. So, after the back and forth with insurance, we are on the market. All I have to say is these prices are bonkers.

• Rage+1 1

That sucks.   Hoping you’ll at least get current pricing off your now totaled vehicle. Such a terrible market to be forced into. 

Yeah, the insurance payout was actually a hair above the sticker price I paid for it, and that was with some minor cosmetic damage - some hail dents on the roof I never bothered with, minor dent from getting rear ended the week before (lol) - totally wild but it’s a two-way street.

We ended up going with a like-new version of the same model. The value prop on all cars is awful right now (would not advise anyone to be on the market unless 100% necessary) but felt like it was especially terrible on older ones.