Car buying now days

Shaddie

35 minutes ago, midtown said:

I just got off the phone with Leif Johnson aka Riata Ford up in the Austin area.   They want $131,000 for a Shelby with a sticker of $106,000.    I just laughed.  I would haven bit on MSRP but I ain't paying $30k over.  Sure is a beautiful car though.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d13b4d4d-c6fc-42b6-b699-6d2e941cfa95/

They’re not asking you to pay $30k over unless you are planning to leave a tip.

Walked on a Honda today. Wife(no pics)wanted to go and I told her not to say a damn thing since she gets attached. She did pretty good surprisingly, but was pissed when we got to the car. Told her I only let her go so she could choose a color and trim. Now I’ll only deal over email and hopefully can get it done in the next month or so. I’m not in a rush so that helps.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:48 PM, mdmost said:

We got our new car for the exact amount agreed upon Wednesday evening. Sewell manager said their dealerships do not go over MSRP or tack on market conditions as they think that's a short term opportunity that's going to cost those dealerships in the long run. Everything was nice. Did all the credit applications online and just signed the paperwork while they added on our options. Very happy to be done with all this. My wife is going back to the office in mid-January so we were looking at a few weeks up to 3 months of carpooling to get her to the DART train or me taking her in every day which I was not wanting to do. Don't have to worry about that now. 

I know Subaru gets a granola lesbian rep around here but we actually want to use this car for doing more driving vacations and being more in the outdoors. We're already trying to decide our Spring Break driving destination. We may do Palo Duro Canyon. We went to Big Bend back in 2020 which was the genesis of wanting a 3rd row SUV. We rented a Chevy Traverse for that trip and it got us interested in looking at SUVs. We may take a summer trip to Colorado if there's time. It's interesting driving this car and the learning curve on it because I've always only drove sedans or a small pickup. So being up higher is a new sensation to being a lot lower to the ground. The kids really enjoy how roomy it is. My youngest got in the 3rd row on the way home from the dealership and was enjoying that. We need to get the dog into the car and take her out for a hike but the weather's going to be shitty this weekend. 

Lillith Fair ?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:48 PM, mdmost said:

We got our new car for the exact amount agreed upon Wednesday evening. Sewell manager said their dealerships do not go over MSRP or tack on market conditions as they think that's a short term opportunity that's going to cost those dealerships in the long run. Everything was nice. Did all the credit applications online and just signed the paperwork while they added on our options. Very happy to be done with all this. My wife is going back to the office in mid-January so we were looking at a few weeks up to 3 months of carpooling to get her to the DART train or me taking her in every day which I was not wanting to do. Don't have to worry about that now. 

I know Subaru gets a granola lesbian rep around here but we actually want to use this car for doing more driving vacations and being more in the outdoors. We're already trying to decide our Spring Break driving destination. We may do Palo Duro Canyon. We went to Big Bend back in 2020 which was the genesis of wanting a 3rd row SUV. We rented a Chevy Traverse for that trip and it got us interested in looking at SUVs. We may take a summer trip to Colorado if there's time. It's interesting driving this car and the learning curve on it because I've always only drove sedans or a small pickup. So being up higher is a new sensation to being a lot lower to the ground. The kids really enjoy how roomy it is. My youngest got in the 3rd row on the way home from the dealership and was enjoying that. We need to get the dog into the car and take her out for a hike but the weather's going to be shitty this weekend. 

Here in CO the subie is basically the official state car.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I found a car that was spec'd out pretty close to the way I wanted it, so I got into a text convo with a salesman. He said I could always order one if I didn't like the one they had. I asked if there was a mark-up on orders, he said no. I decided to go up there yesterday, it was 3.5 hours from my house. I figured if they wouldn't haggle on the one at the lot, I could just order one. I told the guy I would be there around 11, he said he'd be there. I get to the dealership, my guy isn't there. Another guy helped us, he was really nice. Showed me the two they had on the lot, I asked about ordering and told him what i was told about no mark-up. He said, that's right, no mark-up. 

We go inside to do a build and he says "Let me get the manager, he does the builds", so we waited. He came back a few minutes later, looking mortified. He tells me that managment has now decided that orders are getting a 10K mark-up and that they'd only charge me 5K, seeing as I drove all the way out there. He was extremely apologetic and embarrassed. You would think that I would've been pissed, that's what I would've thought too but I was so taken aback that I just laughed. The manager guy didn't even have the nerve to come tell me to my face. We just left and drove home. 

The wife and I had a fun time during the drive, and I got a beej/laid last night, so not the worst day I've ever had.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I found a car that was spec'd out pretty close to the way I wanted it, so I got into a text convo with a salesman. He said I could always order one if I didn't like the one they had. I asked if there was a mark-up on orders, he said no. I decided to go up there yesterday, it was 3.5 hours from my house. I figured if they wouldn't haggle on the one at the lot, I could just order one. I told the guy I would be there around 11, he said he'd be there. I get to the dealership, my guy isn't there. Another guy helped us, he was really nice. Showed me the two they had on the lot, I asked about ordering and told him what i was told about no mark-up. He said, that's right, no mark-up. 
We go inside to do a build and he says "Let me get the manager, he does the builds", so we waited. He came back a few minutes later, looking mortified. He tells me that managment has now decided that orders are getting a 10K mark-up and that they'd only charge me 5K, seeing as I drove all the way out there. He was extremely apologetic and embarrassed. You would think that I would've been pissed, that's what I would've thought too but I was so taken aback that I just laughed. The manager guy didn't even have the nerve to come tell me to my face. We just left and drove home. 
The wife and I had a fun time during the drive, and I got a beej/laid last night, so not the worst day I've ever had.

Congrats on getting laid.

What was wrong with the one they had on the lot?

I'd expect a markup on custom orders, but not 10k.  Dealerships do have money invested in their lots whether it's inventory or the land, so there is overhead they have to pay.  Similar to a brick and mortar likely being more expensive than online, there is still some value in you being able to physically see the product before buying.

They’ll give you all kinds of shit if you want to pay cash because they get back end spiffs on the financing that you never see. That’s why they push cash buyers hard to finance and will probably sell you the car cheaper if you finance. They’ll tell you just to pay it off the first month. Probably the way to go actually if you are going to pay cash.

26 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s why they push cash buyers hard to finance and will probably sell you the car cheaper if you finance.

Yup.  Notice the extra incentives you get when you finance through (insert manufacturer finance arm here)

Big loud add voice.  Get $1000 cash back when you finance. 

$50k car.  2.5%. 60 mths added $3200 in interest.   

Edited by midtown

33 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

They’ll give you all kinds of shit if you want to pay cash because they get back end spiffs on the financing that you never see. That’s why they push cash buyers hard to finance and will probably sell you the car cheaper if you finance. They’ll tell you just to pay it off the first month. Probably the way to go actually if you are going to pay cash.

Exactly.  Just make sure there are no prepayment penalties and pay off the loan with payment #1.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Yup.  Notice the extra incentives you get when you finance through (insert manufacturer finance arm here)

Big loud add voice.  Get $1000 cash back when you finance. 

$50k car.  2.5%. 60 mths added $3200 in interest.   

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Exactly.  Just make sure there are no prepayment penalties and pay off the loan with payment #1.

Thanks for the input.  There's a pretty good financing deal right now for the car I'm looking at. If it's still there in a few months I'll probably just use the whole term. Otherwise, I'll probably pay it off immediately. 

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Anybody have an opinion on paying cash? The internets tell me that you have an easier time getting a discount, but I would think that the dealerships would prefer it if you finance. Admittedly, I don't know shit about fuck though.

Recently read an article on this (sry, dont have link, google tips of car buying, etc).    Stated the opposite is true,  better discounts/deals when car is financed.

Agree on price of car, get it on paper before they send you to Finance, then tell them you will pay cash.    Never tell the salesman/manager you want to pay cash.   Lot of good YouTube vids on car buying.

Short story..... College age son totaled his car.  First ever accident.  I need to buy him a cash car.  Also, insurance company gave more for the card than we paid for it 5 years ago!!! Crazy!!

Does anyone have a contact for purchasing cars at auction?  

Is this a good option during this crazy market?

Ex:  Lexus LS 400/430 with less than 150K miles

Any free options similar to carfax?  Anyone have an account that would be willing to run a few VIN #s?

Thanks, Ill hang up listen...

Who knows the answer to this?

My car finally got a VIN and is due to be put into the first production week according to Ford.   Should be the first week of April.   Since I ordered my 2021 in September and they halt production in October I am getting a 2022.    I will lose the paint color I ordered since they discontinued it.  They mapped me to one of the new colors which is OK.  My biggest question is will I get the price we agreed on?  or should I expect Ford to tell me I owe more $$$$?

Edited by midtown

Who knows the answer to this?
My car finally got a VIN and is due to be put into the first production week according to Ford.   Should be the first week of April.   Since I ordered my 2021 in September and they halt production in October I am getting a 2022.    I will lose the paint color I ordered since they discontinued it.  They mapped me to one of the new colors which is OK.  My biggest question is will I get the price we agreed on?  or should I expect Ford to tell me I owe more $$$$?

I’m guessing that you’ll pay more. I’d try and get them to throw in a dealer add on like tint or curb feelers.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:01 PM, midtown said:

No. They will replace it for a 1/8 of what it woukd cost you

I’m actually curious about this as well…been trying for two years to get my 2007 CTS-V pretty close to perfect so I could sell it.  But every two months something else breaks on it and now I’m throwing yet another catalytic converter-related code, steering angle sensor and a few minor issues with it.  

Basically was hoping to private sell as it’s a bit of a niche car and go for big dollars in prime condition, but now I think I’m ready just to see what CarMax will offer as it was taking up way too much of my time and dollars to fix it.  

• 1 month later...

It is time.  I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new vehicle for myself.  I am dreading this.  I am going to keep my KR 150, but it is only for truck needs.  If I find I really don't use it I will sell it.  But I am going for a coupe, or 4 door performance car. 

1 hour ago, Moby Ric said:

It is time.  I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new vehicle for myself.  I am dreading this.  I am going to keep my KR 150, but it is only for truck needs.  If I find I really don't use it I will sell it.  But I am going for a coupe, or 4 door performance car. 

iirc,  @midtown just went this route.    If he sees thread may offer advice.

2 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

I ordered a Mach 1 in September of 2021.  Put a $500 deposit on my credit card.   They sold it to me at MSRP.    Since I missed the 2021 build I get a 2022 so I will pay probably 1k more.   Build started on 420 and finished on April 22.  Testing takes a few days and it shipped to the dealer today.    Hopefully I have it within a week.   I wanted a manual so that eliminated pretty much every car but this one.  If you want a Mach 1 better hurry because they only produce them from April to October.  The hard part is to get your dealer to actually put your order in.  They would much rather put in dealer orders that they can sell with a mark up.  If it weren't for a friend who knows the McCombs family i'd probably still be waiting. This is my actual car

https://www.saford.com/new-San+Antonio-2022-Ford-Mustang-Mach+1-1FA6P8R07N5551260

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've been talking to this dealership, they don't have the car I want right now. I test drove a similar one and said to let me know when they get one spec'd out the way I want. The boss (whom I've never met) starts texting me to come see a bunch of shit I don't want. I told him what I'm looking for and to let me know when they get one.

Fast forward 2 months, I decide to check the local dealers and I see a car on their website that meets my needs. And I know it's not "in transit" because there's pictures of it at the dealership. I call to set up a test drive for that afternoon, they said cool. 5 mins later, that boss texts me to say the car is already sold. Then he tries to sell me another car that I don't want. If that prick had called or texted me when that car came in, we would've already had a deal done. Fuck that place, I'll do business elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

Correction it is a Cadillac CT5 premium luxury edition with the V6 engine in it.

I almost bought that car a year ago having been a previous CTS V owner.  That's a damn nice car.   Throw up some pictures if you don't mine. 

If I hadn't done the Mach 1 the CT5 Blackwing was my second choice.

Edited by midtown

4 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

No, paying sticker minus $1,000 ($500 for a rebate and $500 for financing 0% for 36 months).  

Correction it is a Cadillac CT5 premium luxury edition with the V6 engine in it.

Is that the twin turbo 3L?  That's a pretty sweet engine, although I have only driven it in the ATS-V trim, which gives it about 100 more ponies.  Truth is, though, unless you track it, it's all about 300 ft-lbs at 1500 rpm.  400-plus hp is virtually undriveable on the street.

Eleventh year of Cadillac ownership and am pleased.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is that the twin turbo 3L?  That's a pretty sweet engine, although I have only driven it in the ATS-V trim, which gives it about 100 more ponies.  Truth is, though, unless you track it, it's all about 300 ft-lbs at 1500 rpm.  400-plus hp is virtually undriveable on the street.
400+ is undrivable on the street? Agree to disagree.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

400+ is undrivable on the street? Agree to disagree.

The point being that 400hp is a "top end" number that corresponds to top end speed that is virtually unusable on the street, other than interstate highway and even then.

Often, but somewhat less so in these turbo days, a healthy low-end torque number goes with that.  And that's where the daily driving fun comes in, at reasonable vehicle weight.  That 3.0L TT V6 makes 405 ft-lbs at 2500 rpm.  That will get you off the on-ramp and up someone's ass in 2.5 seconds.

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I almost bought that car a year ago having been a previous CTS V owner.  That's a damn nice car.   Throw up some pictures if you don't mine. 

If I hadn't done the Mach 1 the CT5 Blackwing was my second choice.

Yes I will, it is a fantastic car, I really love it.  Black Raven with tan interior and it has the digital dash with tour theme and sport theme.  It has the power the V series with the twin turbo engine and the luxury of a Cadillac.  Best of both worlds.  Is there a free photo hosting site I can put up some pics?

Also ended up getting $3000 off the sticker with my wifes company deal, and the $500 rebate for the 0% financing for 36 months.  In this market I considered that a good deal.

Edited by Moby Ric