WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

57 minutes ago, midtown said:

Those guys are complete dick cyclists.   I don't know the speed limit on that road but a group like that should easily be doing 25 so if that's the speed limit fine.  If its not then dicks.    They aren't even double they are 3 and 4x so pull all their asses over and hand out tickets

I will ride river road out of Gruene with my buddy from time to time. Usually leaving Gruene hall around 8am.  We ride double to catch up and just talk but as soon as we get wind of car we go single.   Last time out a Corvette came up on us and as soon as we heard him we went single.  He proceeded to honk and I think he yelled something at us and then jammed on the gas.   It's Saturday at 10am and micropenis was unhappy that we caused him 10 seconds on his Saturday morning drive.   

When we talk about taking a lane its only if there is another lane for cars to pass in.   

Now I have ridden with a really large pack like that in nyc.  Going up Riverside over the GW.   That group of 30 took the entire lane but we were also probably over the speed limit and yes we ran every single light and in a lot of cases we went around cars waiting at lights but NYrs are pretty used to it and don't bitch.  

See here’s the thing, when I mentioned Fitzhugh earlier,  I purposely don’t go out there before 10am on weekends, because cyclists.   I wait until after that, because it’s generally hot and they will all be heading the opposite direction back toward 290.   But why should people who actually live out there have to deal with people like that?  They drive out there, park vehicles, unload their bikes and then unleash their assholiness on everyone.  It’s just fucking unnecessary.  Peloton in your fucking living room loser.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Peloton in your fucking living room loser.

Or, you know, the multi million dollar amenity built for that purpose.

The Austin Veloway is a pavement sanctuary in far south Austin that loops for a total of 3.1 miles. It's open to only cyclists and skaters, meaning no cars and no foot traffic. The loop winds through Slaughter Creek Metropolitan Park, which looks an awful lot like the more remote areas of Texas Hill Country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

One thing I always find colors these discussions is that bike riding varies wildly by community. And I'm not talking about roadies in lycra, but just general mobility. In my area cars are absolutely 3rd class citizens after foot traffic and bikes. No one local is hopping in a car to try and navigate the Virginia Beach resort area. If my wife and I are heading to brunch or whatever, it's bikes. They are definitely the dominant mode of transport for local trips.

This is true.  Been there once for a wedding.  Stayed at some shitty time share masquerading as a hotel right on the water.  We rented bikes a few times, walked everywhere else and Uber’d to the wedding stuff which was a little further away.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

So how exactly are people traveling by bike supposed to get from point A to point B?

I'm sure you've picked up on the fact that most people who can't stand cyclists are really talking about the types who don't need to get from point A to point B, but rather those who go out of their way to bike on roads that cause issues for drivers all in the name of recreation (especially in areas where tax payers have built out spaces for cyclists that cars aren't allowed on). Outside of those who plow through intersections or ride on the sidewalk, who gives a shit about bikes in the city? 

As noted by F250 and Judge Roy above, heading out to narrow country roads just to clog things up for the locals is the pinnacle of dickhead moves, and where most of the ire is generated.  I don't know what percentage of cyclists this amounts to, but like the jerks in that video above they're the ones making people hate cyclists. 

Now, there at least as high, although perhaps higher, percentage of drivers who are just as big of an asshole as any cyclist could ever be.  Case in point, the teenager at the heart of this thread.  I don't know what to say about people like that other than they shouldn't have a driver license and should probably be castrated.  Their jerk counterparts in the cycling community?  Well, they've already taken care of the castration part, at least from a reproductive level, so I suspect they get a pass.

I'm sticking with my theory that the percentage of asshole know-it-all cyclists and the percentage of asshole know-it-all drivers is eerily similar to the percentage of engineers in the general population.  I'm not drawing any conclusions from that.

3 hours ago, G650 said:

One thing I always find colors these discussions is that bike riding varies wildly by community. And I'm not talking about roadies in lycra, but just general mobility. In my area cars are absolutely 3rd class citizens after foot traffic and bikes. No one local is hopping in a car to try and navigate the Virginia Beach resort area. If my wife and I are heading to brunch or whatever, it's bikes. They are definitely the dominant mode of transport for local trips.

Doubt the people cooking and serving the brunch bike to work en mass. I’m sure Martha’s Vineyard is full of bikes too. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Those guys are complete dick cyclists.   I don't know the speed limit on that road but a group like that should easily be doing 25 so if that's the speed limit fine.  If its not then dicks.    They aren't even double they are 3 and 4x so pull all their asses over and hand out tickets

I will ride river road out of Gruene with my buddy from time to time. Usually leaving Gruene hall around 8am.  We ride double to catch up and just talk but as soon as we get wind of car we go single.   Last time out a Corvette came up on us and as soon as we heard him we went single.  He proceeded to honk and I think he yelled something at us and then jammed on the gas.   It's Saturday at 10am and micropenis was unhappy that we caused him 10 seconds on his Saturday morning drive.   

When we talk about taking a lane its only if there is another lane for cars to pass in.   

Now I have ridden with a really large pack like that in nyc.  Going up Riverside over the GW.   That group of 30 took the entire lane but we were also probably over the speed limit and yes we ran every single light and in a lot of cases we went around cars waiting at lights but NYrs are pretty used to it and don't bitch.  

What compounds the absurdity of Mr. Cool Corvette Douche is that River Rd. has a speed limit of 25 if I recall correctly.  It's not like you were significantly slowing him down, and unless it is the height of toobing season, it's always easy to pass.  Did you sleep with is wife or something?  

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

See here’s the thing, when I mentioned Fitzhugh earlier,  I purposely don’t go out there before 10am on weekends, because cyclists.   I wait until after that, because it’s generally hot and they will all be heading the opposite direction back toward 290.   But why should people who actually live out there have to deal with people like that?  They drive out there, park vehicles, unload their bikes and then unleash their assholiness on everyone.  It’s just fucking unnecessary.  Peloton in your fucking living room loser.  

Cyclists have been riding Fitzhugh for years and years.  You are acting like they are new to the scene, when it is actually it is most of the drivers.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Cyclists have been riding Fitzhugh for years and years.  You are acting like they are new to the scene, when it is actually it is most of the drivers.  

And I said, I’m way more tolerant.   I no longer put an extender tube and doe urine in my windshield squirters.  But the point remains, people exercising in the road are assholes.  Live with it.  

56 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Or, you know, the multi million dollar amenity built for that purpose.

The Austin Veloway is a pavement sanctuary in far south Austin that loops for a total of 3.1 miles. It's open to only cyclists and skaters, meaning no cars and no foot traffic. The loop winds through Slaughter Creek Metropolitan Park, which looks an awful lot like the more remote areas of Texas Hill Country.

More often that not, it is in need of maintenance, and is full of hazards, as are many bike lanes.  There appears to be plenty of money allocated to build these wonderful resources, but not so much to keep them in a usable state.  Also, doing 30 circuits of the same mostly flat 3.1mi. circuit is not the same as doing a long ride to remote destinations.  It is fine for an after work training ride, but does not provide what the weekend cyclist seeks.  Which would you rather do, take a scenic drive to Fredericksburg, or drive around your block 100 times?  

While it's annoying to locals that the remote country roads have become the destinations of choice for many Austin cyclists, the offend far fewer people than if they stayed in the city, and it is the safer option.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is true.  Been there once for a wedding.  Stayed at some shitty time share masquerading as a hotel right on the water.  We rented bikes a few times, walked everywhere else and Uber’d to the wedding stuff which was a little further away.

You didn't get stuck at Dolphins Run or Oceanside did you?

21 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm sure you've picked up on the fact that most people who can't stand cyclists are really talking about the types who don't need to get from point A to point B, but rather those who go out of their way to bike on roads that cause issues for drivers all in the name of recreation (especially in areas where tax payers have built out spaces for cyclists that cars aren't allowed on). Outside of those who plow through intersections or ride on the sidewalk, who gives a shit about bikes in the city? 

As noted by F250 and Judge Roy above, heading out to narrow country roads just to clog things up for the locals is the pinnacle of dickhead moves, and where most of the ire is generated.  I don't know what percentage of cyclists this amounts to, but like the jerks in that video above they're the ones making people hate cyclists. 

I'm talking about people riding cross country. You know there is an entire network of roads in this country of designated bike routes and people travel them? I love to pack a bag and roll up to say Richmond from VB for the weekend.

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Doubt the people cooking and serving the brunch bike to work en mass. I’m sure Martha’s Vineyard is full of bikes too. 

Uh, who do you think the primary bike riders are dipshit?

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

And I said, I’m way more tolerant.   I no longer put an extender tube and doe urine in my windshield squirters.  But the point remains, people exercising in the road are assholes.  Live with it.  

I don't think "tolerant" means what you think it does.  I agree that there are certainly a lot of assholes on Fitzhugh road, but not all of them are riding bicycles.  

8 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

More often that not, it is in need of maintenance, and is full of hazards, as are many bike lanes.  There appears to be plenty of money allocated to build these wonderful resources, but not so much to keep them in a usable state.  Also, doing 30 circuits of the same mostly flat 3.1mi. circuit is not the same as doing a long ride to remote destinations.  It is fine for an after work training ride, but does not provide what the weekend cyclist seeks.  Which would you rather do, take a scenic drive to Fredericksburg, or drive around your block 100 times?  

While it's annoying to locals that the remote country roads have become the destinations of choice for many Austin cyclists, the offend far fewer people than if they stayed in the city, and it is the safer option.

My block isn’t 3.1 miles long, but I get your point. That is an incredibly dangerous highway, but it would be incorrect to say bikes are, or exacerbate, the danger on that road. For now. That isn’t where the entitlement rankles. 

You know what truly committed folks do to maintain a common resource? They band together to maintain that resource. Skateboarders are an example you might find relate-able. 

47 minutes ago, G650 said:

You didn't get stuck at Dolphins Run or Oceanside did you?

I'm talking about people riding cross country. You know there is an entire network of roads in this country of designated bike routes and people travel them? I love to pack a bag and roll up to say Richmond from VB for the weekend.

Uh, who do you think the primary bike riders are dipshit?

I was too drunk the whole weekend to remember the name of the place.  Then girlfriend, now wife booked it through priceline as it was her cousin’s wedding.  It was a pretty good location, but the constant sales pitch was a bit much.  It provided a decent place to fuck, so I guess it served its purpose.  A quick glance at google maps leads me to believe it was probably Oceanaire.

10 hours ago, G650 said:

So how exactly are people traveling by bike supposed to get from point A to point B?

Are you suggesting the vast majority of cyclists are on a  commute, as opposed to just exercising at their leisure?'

The destination is to be in the fucking way, and then be outraged if real commuters aren't deferential.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Are you suggesting the vast majority of cyclists are on a  commute, as opposed to just exercising at their leisure?'

No, I was actually talking about bike touring, not commuting.

But since you bring it up, yes, bike commuters here outnumber leisure riders by at least 2 to 1. Most bartenders, waiters, gas station attendants, beach chair renters, hotel maids and pretty much any other wage earner go to work by bike, especially in the summer.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

No, I was actually talking about bike touring, not commuting.

But since you bring it up, yes, bike commuters here outnumber leisure riders by at least 2 to 1. Most bartenders, waiters, gas station attendants, beach chair renters, hotel maids and pretty much any other wage earner go to work by bike, especially in the summer.

Yep.  The urban cyclist in Waller County fucking Texas is EXACTLY what this thread is about.

Packs of 20 guys and gals...pedaling their asses off to get to the WalMart.  Yeah, virtually every post is bitching about folks who are utilizing the bicycle to go to and from work.  Bastards.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, hornian said:

Are you suggesting this teenage affluenza suffering tiny dick compensating idiot who slowed down not once, but twice, to roll coal on cyclists on a weekend who were training for a triathlon was commuting to work?

His destination was to go jerk off with his friends and laugh about dumbass shit, and in the process he very nearly killed 6 people. 

the fact you and people like you read a story like this and come on a thread to  shit on the cyclists is one of the strangest things about our culture. And this is coming from a poster (me) whose daily driver is a Full size crew cab pickup with a 6.2L V8. I also get over in the other lane when there are cyclist on the shoulder because I understand physics and the value of human life, and don’t feel inconvenienced in the slightest. 

Not that I'm telling you anything, but you are replying to slorch here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hornian said:

Are you suggesting this teenage affluenza suffering tiny dick compensating idiot who slowed down not once, but twice, to roll coal on cyclists on a weekend who were training for a triathlon was commuting to work?

His destination was to go jerk off with his friends and laugh about dumbass shit, and in the process he very nearly killed 6 people. 

the fact you and people like you read a story like this and come on a thread to  shit on the cyclists is one of the strangest things about our culture. And this is coming from a poster (me) whose daily driver is a Full size crew cab pickup with a 6.2L V8. I also get over in the other lane when there are cyclist on the shoulder because I understand physics and the value of human life, and don’t feel inconvenienced in the slightest. 

Nah, I have no love lost for the truck driver either.  If you want to quote me upthread defending the sumbeech or even playing devil's advocate towards his cause, I'm all ears.

Fuck the douchebag, self-entitled cyclists who deliberately fuck shit up.  Fuck the idiot truck driver who is in severe need of an asswhoopin.

Edited by slorch

It's just disappointing how few marked bike lanes there are in America where you have about the widest lanes in the world.  That would go a long way towards alleviating all this whinging about who belongs where , whether downtown or in rural setting --- you have your lane, the other person have their lane, suck it up and get along.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:29 PM, Willfully Horn said:

New Yorkers are an interesting folk. I’ll withhold further opinion until I hear the cab drivers weigh in.

In between OTR jobs in the late 90s I worked a short stint with Yellow Cab in Austin and still remember the Safety Director/Trainer/Whatever His Official Title Was joking about buzzing cyclists because he was a run-of-the-mill moron rationalizing his shit behavior with his moronic sweeping generalizations and cherry-picked anecdotes as morons are wont to do.

NYC natives are fascinating people. Despite bike riding being described here as a "death wish" and IIRC on TOS "not a matter of if, just a matter of when" one of my good NYC native friends is well into her 60s and despite living almost the entirety of her life in NYC, still alive. No car. Still bike riding.

Freak of nature I guess. I don't even know if she's had a wreck with an auto cuz the subject has never come up. I'm a bike rider in my mid 50s and have never had a collision with an auto on my bike, but got plenty of stories from the 2 years a bike was my sole transportation of being buzzed by white trashy pickups. 

This is why people talk shit about cyclists. I encountered a group like the one in that video on FM 165 as I was driving into Henly coming in from Blanco. Not a lot of room to maneuver and I was pulling a trailer so I didn't want to risk killing anyone so I just drove slow until the road cleared up. I wasn't in a rush so not a big deal but still pretty annoying.

Yep that's how it is. Same with a wide load situation or someone moving heavy equipment or a tractor. It's part of the transaction. On FM roads plan on a few delays. Why people get so bent about road bikes is bizarre to me. Why people want to risk death to ride on a road when we have so many sweet mountain bike trails is also bizarre to me. But I enjoy crazy women so I'm not out here chunking rocks at others. Team no Lycra, but
. I'm happy that people find joy riding and we should make it safer where we can. it's a healthy outlet man.
I've long advocated that we have a county wide street sweeper 24-7 that clears the popular bike roads like 620 so they aren't forced between the edge of the road or a minefield of debris from shitty motorist spewing nails trash etc that they leave all over the shoulder forcing cyclist into traffic lanes or right on the edge. It's a necessary thing that would save lives.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

when we have so many sweet mountain bike trails is also bizarre to me. But I enjoy crazy women so I'm not out here chunking rocks at others.

This and this. Mountain biking is a shit ton more thrilling and I admit to enjoying crazy women too.

Edited by F250

27 minutes ago, whithou said:

Update from the lawyers representing the cyclists https://www.bikelaw.com/2021/10/waller-bike-crash/ 

Our clients are not only hostages to the truck driver’s behavior and their own broken bodies, but also to a criminal process that is supposed to help make them “whole” again in a place that “doesn’t like [their] kind.”

The Waller Bike Crash was caused by a teenaged driver assaulting other cyclists by “coal rolling” them before plowing into our clients just moments later. We know he did not “lose control” of his truck and that our clients were riding single file as far right as practicable in the right lane of travel, not two abreast (as some reporters have irresponsibly published).

Additionally, nowhere and at no time in the interviews Mr. DeToto has given to the media has an apology been expressed. 

Edited by Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand

41 minutes ago, F250 said:

This and this. Mountain biking is a shit ton more thrilling and I admit to enjoying crazy women too.

When I go to Brushy Creek, it ends up being a 26mi ride because I still have to get there. Half the ride is on trail and the other half is on road.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When I go to Brushy Creek, it ends up being a 26mi ride because I still have to get there. Half the ride is on trail and the other half is on road.

I just ride outside my back door for a trail ride.

#HillCountryLife

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

In between OTR jobs in the late 90s I worked a short stint with Yellow Cab in Austin and still remember the Safety Director/Trainer/Whatever His Official Title Was joking about buzzing cyclists because he was a run-of-the-mill moron rationalizing his shit behavior with his moronic sweeping generalizations and cherry-picked anecdotes as morons are wont to do.

NYC natives are fascinating people. Despite bike riding being described here as a "death wish" and IIRC on TOS "not a matter of if, just a matter of when" one of my good NYC native friends is well into her 60s and despite living almost the entirety of her life in NYC, still alive. No car. Still bike riding.

Freak of nature I guess. I don't even know if she's had a wreck with an auto cuz the subject has never come up. I'm a bike rider in my mid 50s and have never had a collision with an auto on my bike, but got plenty of stories from the 2 years a bike was my sole transportation of being buzzed by white trashy pickups. 

So,  is ignoring traffic lights the secret to a long life for the lucky, or the many? Is this why NY cabbies opinions are immaterial? Are NY cabbies itching to get on their bikes and flaunt the confines of their day jobs with the other marauders? Don’t you think a least one motorist might see a green light, and proceed, not knowing the scrong are imminently occupying the pavement ten foot from their front bumpers?

You must be aware my comment was in response to NY-ers reaction to pelatons blowing through street lights and biking between cars waiting in lanes at lights, right? That I am doubtful of their acquiescence being other than irritated resignation?

Edited by Willfully Horn
More

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

So,  is ignoring traffic lights the secret to a long life for the lucky, or the many? Is this why NY cabbies opinions are immaterial? Are NY cabbies itching to get on their bikes and flaunt the confines of their day jobs with the other marauders? Don’t you think a least one motorist might see a green light, and proceed, not knowing the scrong are imminently occupying the pavement ten foot from their front bumpers?

Not sure where you're going, but NYC cabbies drive on the sidewalk. I don't have the energy to regale you with my boring story of blind side backing a semi off an open street in Maspeth (Queens) and the feral traffic decorum or why "No NYC" was a common driver recruitment pitch to drivers. It's anecdotal and next to meaningless.

If you're on team Riding A Bike Where They're Legal Is A Death Wish the burden of proof is on you. Provide it.