WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/waller-county-bicyclists-juvenile-charged/285-1941e8e0-2aa2-427e-b9d4-b8b79058c18a

Teen charged with 6 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after driving into cyclists in Waller County, DA's Office says

The Waller County District Attorney's Office announced the charges on Monday, about six weeks after the "rolling coal" incident happened.

From the article:

The District Attorney's Office said the case was not handled appropriately by investigators and they chose not to reach out to the office when advised to do so.

Waller Police Chief Bill Llewellyn agreed that the situation was mishandled but denied that it had anything to do with the driver’s connections. The DA's Office had previously said the teen has connections to Waller city officials. Authorities said there’s no evidence the teen's connections played a role in the investigation.

“To put it quite simply,” Llewellyn wrote, “they were due to the lack of knowledge on our part and those shortcomings are being dealt with internally and will not be repeated.”

Llewellyn also denied the District Attorney's claim that they weren’t contacted about the crash. He said a police supervisor at the scene tried to call two people from their office, but no one answered.

“My sergeant was counseled regarding failing to leave a message,” Llewellyn wrote, “but I would also suggest that if the office head wishes to decrease his frustration, he should recommend to his employees that they answer their phone when ‘on call.’”

So the cops story is that they aren't corrupt, they're just incompetent and just had a little oopsie whoopsie with appropriately investigating the son of some well connected locals. 

Glad that it's being appropriately investigated and handled now. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 9:11 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, murdered is a little over the top.  

The response from the Waller County DA seems quite reasonable.  Might be a load of bollocks, but it's not written that way.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, deadshank said:

“Murdered?”  Really?   1st or 2nd degree?  Tell us. 

The linked articles do not go into much detail about what actually happened.  Was the collision accidental or with purpose.  DPS did not charge the driver.

It is truly sad that a man lays dead. 

Shrill exploitation of his death is sad, too. 

MURDERED!!!!

You ridiculous dude. 

Clearly y'all aren't familiar with Captainant's previous work.  He is a Grateful Dead fan though, so it's not all bad. 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/waller-county-bicyclists-juvenile-charged/285-1941e8e0-2aa2-427e-b9d4-b8b79058c18a

Teen charged with 6 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after driving into cyclists in Waller County, DA's Office says

The Waller County District Attorney's Office announced the charges on Monday, about six weeks after the "rolling coal" incident happened.

This cancel culture is out of control

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

From the article:

So the cops story is that they aren't corrupt, they're just incompetent and just had a little oopsie whoopsie with appropriately investigating the son of some well connected locals. 

The cool thing is that material evidence -- like, you know, maybe the driver's level of intoxication, his phone recording the event, all that shit......is gone forever because the cops gave him special treatment.  And, ummm, it doesn't take a call to the DA and permission to arrest and process someone who just fucking ran over 6 people, with witness accounts describing a plain event of aggravated assault.  The cops chose not to make a case, irrevocably damaging the case.  They did it on purpose.  And everyone with a lick of sense knows why.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

From the article:

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The cool thing is that material evidence -- like, you know, maybe the driver's level of intoxication, his phone recording the event, all that shit......is gone forever because the cops gave him special treatment.  And, ummm, it doesn't take a call to the DA and permission to arrest and process someone who just fucking ran over 6 people, with witness accounts describing a plain event of aggravated assault.  The cops chose not to make a case, irrevocably damaging the case.  They did it on purpose.  And everyone with a lick of sense knows why.

This stood out to me:

Llewellyn also denied the District Attorney's claim that they weren’t contacted about the crash. He said a police supervisor at the scene tried to call two people from their office, but no one answered.

“My sergeant was counseled regarding failing to leave a message,” Llewellyn wrote, “but I would also suggest that if the office head wishes to decrease his frustration, he should recommend to his employees that they answer their phone when ‘on call.’”

The supervisor should have started texting everybody over him "HEY SOME KID ROLLED COAL AND RAN OVER 6 PEOPLE, INCLUDING SOME LAWYERS, WHAT SHOULD WE DO?" and somebody is going to respond.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Is there spoliation in a criminal case?  I am wondering if they could get a warrant for his phone and see if anything was deleted.  With cloud storage I am skeptical anything is ever deleted.  I guess a warrant might not help as they would need his password anyway, and I do not believe you could compel him to give it.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Is there spoliation in a criminal case?  I am wondering if they could get a warrant for his phone and see if anything was deleted.  With cloud storage I am skeptical anything is ever deleted.  I guess a warrant might not help as they would need his password anyway, and I do not believe you could compel him to give it.

I don't think there's a spoliation instruction -- there's a separate charge for tampering with evidence, but good luck proving it if it's on a phone.

And as to accessing it, it's been a while since I looked at it, but I believe the evolution of 4th amendment law on accessing a PW-protected device is that the gov't can't compel you to give up information in your head (the PW), but it CAN force you to give biometric access (fingerprint, facial recognition).  Which is why I've never used any biometric mechanism to protect my phone.  PW only.  I have privileged client info on there, and I can't allow access to that, even incidentally.

All THAT said...I also think the gov't has figured out some ways to hack in to a phone anyway, so it may not matter.

And the other big evidence was his BAC at the time.  That's long gone.  This was an utter shitshow, and the cops acted intentionally to make it so.

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am wondering if they could get a warrant for his phone and see if anything was deleted.  With cloud storage I am skeptical anything is ever deleted.  

Normally phones don't backup to the cloud over cellular, and given that area, I doubt he had decent cellular signals anyways (iPhones need 5G and you have to turn backup over cellular on manually).

Which means all he had to do was delete the video(s) and photo(s) and he's good (most phones these days are encrypted by default as well, so wouldn't be easy to recover any files).

Which is why the cops on the scene should have done a lot more in terms of gathering evidence.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he and/or his dad deleted it before the cops got there.  You'd have to be even more of a dumbass than fucking with a bunch of bicyclists and then running them over, not to delete any evidence of what you were doing.

If he was live-streaming over Facebook or if he was texting other people or whatever, there might still be copies out there.

43 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Normally phones don't backup to the cloud over cellular, and given that area, I doubt he had decent cellular signals anyways (iPhones need 5G and you have to turn backup over cellular on manually).

Which means all he had to do was delete the video(s) and photo(s) and he's good (most phones these days are encrypted by default as well, so wouldn't be easy to recover any files).

Which is why the cops on the scene should have done a lot more in terms of gathering evidence.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he and/or his dad deleted it before the cops got there.  You'd have to be even more of a dumbass than fucking with a bunch of bicyclists and then running them over, not to delete any evidence of what you were doing.

If he was live-streaming over Facebook or if he was texting other people or whatever, there might still be copies out there.

Good to know.  I operate under the assumption that anything on my phone can be retrieved. 

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

i doubt deleting it in the photo app actually overwrites the file with 0s, so it could still be recoverable if not overwritten with more photos/videos. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

i doubt deleting it in the photo app actually overwrites the file with 0s, so it could still be recoverable if not overwritten with more photos/videos. 

Because it's probably encrypted, they aren't getting in to recover files for the reasons mentioned above (can't compel him to give up his password) and the DA/cops would have had to get a court order for his phone and send it off somewhere to be hooked up to a Cellebrite device (or the equivalent) to try and get in and get at the files...but there's been a bunch of changes this past year or two and I've seen people saying they can still get in others saying they can't.

With that said, they should have already done that well before now, because by now he or his daddy or his attorney have hit up Google and probably told him to erase the phone a few times and just record hours upon hours of his phone pointing at the TV, etc. until he fills up the phone, etc.  Apple claims that if you use the erase the iPhone feature just once, that sensitive data has gone, and you can reset the encryption after erasing it as well.

If you could easily retrieve data from an erased iPhone, I'd assume the internet would be full of people doing buying refurbished iPhones and doing just that.  Instead, it's extremely expensive (even for the FBI), and the DA has enough evidence to nail him as it is (plus he's a juvenile, so there's probably a limit to what can be done).

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Good to know.  I operate under the assumption that anything on my phone can be retrieved. 

Maybe, maybe not.  If you share it with somebody, it can be retrieved from their phone or possibly the service you all used to share it. If it hits cloud services, it's possible depending on the service.

Keep in mind the fappening stuff from 6 or 7 years ago was based on a lot of phishing/brute force stuff - they tricked a lot of celebrities into giving up vital information/passwords with fake websites, etc. as well as brute-force guessing of passwords.

If somebody steals your phone, they aren't getting in unless you have an easy password.

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Because it's probably encrypted, they aren't getting in to recover files for the reasons mentioned above (can't compel him to give up his password) and the DA/cops would have had to get a court order for his phone and send it off somewhere to be hooked up to a Cellebrite device (or the equivalent) to try and get in and get at the files...but there's been a bunch of changes this past year or two and I've seen people saying they can still get in others saying they can't.

With that said, they should have already done that well before now, because by now he or his daddy or his attorney have hit up Google and probably told him to erase the phone a few times and just record hours upon hours of his phone pointing at the TV, etc. until he fills up the phone, etc.  Apple claims that if you use the erase the iPhone feature just once, that sensitive data has gone, and you can reset the encryption after erasing it as well.

If you could easily retrieve data from an erased iPhone, I'd assume the internet would be full of people doing buying refurbished iPhones and doing just that.  Instead, it's extremely expensive (even for the FBI), and the DA has enough evidence to nail him as it is (plus he's a juvenile, so there's probably a limit to what can be done).

Maybe, maybe not.  If you share it with somebody, it can be retrieved from their phone or possibly the service you all used to share it. If it hits cloud services, it's possible depending on the service.

Keep in mind the fappening stuff from 6 or 7 years ago was based on a lot of phishing/brute force stuff - they tricked a lot of celebrities into giving up vital information/passwords with fake websites, etc. as well as brute-force guessing of passwords.

If somebody steals your phone, they aren't getting in unless you have an easy password.

It should be noted here that if you want to make things easier on whoever is going to be in charge of taking care of your estate when the time comes, put your passwords in your will.

37 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It should be noted here that if you want to make things easier on whoever is going to be in charge of taking care of your estate when the time comes, put your passwords in your will.

We had that problem back in 2007.  And it was a bitch to get access to certain things back then. We ended up with an email account that was wiped out and reset - we had to make the decision to accept that outcome, in the hopes that bills, notices etc. would continue flowing to that account going forward so that we could see who we needed to contact and what needed to be paid/closed (and it mostly worked out).

It's even worse these days. Everybody is much more strict, and so many bills are paid online, etc. that if you don't get access to a deceased person's email right away all kinds of things could go haywire.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We had that problem back in 2007.  And it was a bitch to get access to certain things back then. We ended up with an email account that was wiped out and reset - we had to make the decision to accept that outcome, in the hopes that bills, notices etc. would continue flowing to that account going forward so that we could see who we needed to contact and what needed to be paid/closed (and it mostly worked out).

It's even worse these days. Everybody is much more strict, and so many bills are paid online, etc. that if you don't get access to a deceased person's email right away all kinds of things could go haywire.

As the most technologically savy member of the family, I got to play amateur CIA agent when my aunt died last year.  I failed.  If we could have gotten into her phone what took months could have been accomplished in minutes.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, this kid isn't going to PMITA prison pretty much regardless.  He's a juvenile, and should most likely be treated as such.

And the bit about the cops not knowing what to do is ludicrous.  It's an "injury accident" under suspicious circumstances, something they handle routinely.  They didn't need to talk to anybody about what to do, except maybe how to handle a juvenile.   And the option of letting the juvenile walk away should never have crossed their minds, except for what we know was driving the deal.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I have no doubt this kid won't serve a day but hopefully he and his parents will lose a lot of their money. 

as Billy Ray Valentine said, "...the best way to hurt rich people is by turning them into poor people.

6 months probation and volunteer with blind kids 

• 10 months later...
16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We’re over a year removed from the assault by vehicle now. Has enough time elapsed for the DA to give the kid a great deal and avoid a public outcry?

I believe the DA is running unopposed in November but perhaps doesn’t want to rock the boat too much until the votes are counted.

the good old boy system will not be rocked 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2022 at 8:15 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We’re over a year removed from the assault by vehicle now. Has enough time elapsed for the DA to give the kid a great deal and avoid a public outcry?

I believe the DA is running unopposed in November but perhaps doesn’t want to rock the boat too much until the votes are counted.

crickets GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The DA allows the case to drag on. The defense lawyer can point to what a model citizen the driver has been since this youthful mistake. Pleads guilty to a lesser charge that can soon be expunged from his record. 

the douchebag kid will get a stern warning !

• Rage+1 1

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

About a week shy of the 2 year anniversary of this case but not much noise out of Waller County on how they're proceeding with the criminal case. I get that the case involved a juvenile but he must be 18 now.

Cool.  So, he'll be able to run for office in Waller County, and probably win in a landslide.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

About a week shy of the 2 year anniversary of this case but not much noise out of Waller County on how they're proceeding with the criminal case. I get that the case involved a juvenile but he must be 18 now.

Someone should email the original reporters asking for an update 

Didn't want to start a new thread, so thought I'd drop this MOTORISTS GONE WILD!!! story here. This one's a judge. With a gun, high on road rage. Wouldn't be surprised if the consequences, if any, are minimal. 

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/crime/state-judge-shot--cars-before-road-rage-incident-where-he-twice-rearended-woman-who-cut-him-off-and-nearly-pushed-her-into-cross-traffic-police/ar-AA1h41Oc?ocid=sapphireappshare