WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

37 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Not sure where you're going, but NYC cabbies drive on the sidewalk. I don't have the energy to regale you with my boring story of blind side backing a semi off an open street in Maspeth (Queens) and the feral traffic decorum or why "No NYC" was a common driver recruitment pitch to drivers. It's anecdotal and next to meaningless.

If you're on team Riding A Bike Where They're Legal Is A Death Wish the burden of proof is on you. Provide it. 

Yeah, I’m on team skeptical that NYC motorists are sanguine when masses of bikers bike in the way @midtown described. But was willing to hold my tongue until I learned more. Not that objectionable a stance. Give it some thought.

Full disclosure: I’m also on team no dog in the hunt, but here’s what I’ve heard, and also team reasonable rural concerns and how biking in pelatons on FM roads makes the list. 

As for facts, I’ve linked such in this thread. And one thing the facts say is that the majority of bicycle accidents resulting in death occur on Interstates, US and State Highways, County roads, and farm to market roads. I guess you can say that accidents on those same roads are a minority of bicycle accidents, as well.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Yeah, I’m on team skeptical that NYC motorists are sanguine when masses of bikers bike in the way @midtown described. But was willing to hold my tongue until I learned more. Not that objectionable a stance. Give it some thought.

Full disclosure: I’m also on team no dog in the hunt, but here’s what I’ve heard, and also team reasonable rural concerns and how biking in pelatons on FM roads makes the list. 

As for facts, I’ve linked such in this thread. And the one thing the facts say is that the majority of bicycle accidents resulting in death occur on Interstates, US and State Highways, County roads, and farm to market roads. I guess you can say that accidents on those same roads are a minority of bicycle accidents, as well.

Ain't even gonna read this replay regurgitation of a thread from TOS but you're post is completely reasonable. 

When you see some stranger annoying you, before you react, consider...

In whatever situation...

Maybe this person is preoccupied with a sick parent.

Maybe they're worried about their kid's terminal disease.

Maybe they just got their heart smashed by someone they loved. 

Maybe they're lonely.

Maybe their friend their just died because he was a dumbass and yet stoll loves him.

Stop being petty. Be your brother's keeper. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Our clients are not only hostages to the truck driver’s behavior and their own broken bodies, but also to a criminal process that is supposed to help make them “whole” again in a place that “doesn’t like [their] kind.”

The Waller Bike Crash was caused by a teenaged driver assaulting other cyclists by “coal rolling” them before plowing into our clients just moments later. We know he did not “lose control” of his truck and that our clients were riding single file as far right as practicable in the right lane of travel, not two abreast (as some reporters have irresponsibly published).

Additionally, nowhere and at no time in the interviews Mr. DeToto has given to the media has an apology been expressed. 

Another reminder that if you were in a city and were fucking with pedestrians on the sidewalk and then plowed into 6 of them while "reaching for your phone to call daddy" or whatever the kid claimed, you'd have been in all kinds of shit.

Through our own investigation, we’ve learned his name, his address, the names of his parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, neighbors and family friends. We know the names of the businesses owned and operated by the driver’s family. We know where he was earlier in the day, prior to crashing into our clients while they were more than 70 miles into their USAT tri-club training ride.

We know the identity of his passenger (a local 17 year old male from a neighboring town) and a pretty good idea about the role he may have played in causing the crash that sent ALL of our clients to the hospital; 2 by Life Flight, 2 by ambulance, 2 by personal transport.  (Texas licensing provisions allow for licensed drivers between the ages of 16-17 to lawfully operate a motor vehicle with no more than 1 non-family member passenger who is under the age of 21 at a time.)

The driver’s family’s connections in Waller are a legitimate reason for concern, but I know that Charlie and Peter are very well versed in handling the challenges that nepotism can create. 

We know that he knew exactly what he was doing and that Waller PD’s Officer Charles Mistric falsely stated in a report (which has not yet been provided to our clients or to us) that all of the riders were riding two abreast, according to a published article in the Houston Chronicle. Texas law allows for riding two abreast, however Mistric’s mention of the cyclists’ lane positioning seems more like the kind of victim blaming comments we see from internet trolls, and less like what we would expect from a law enforcement officer investigating the scene of a crime (plus it’s not true). 

Also, looking at the photos on that page, those were some Really Fucking Expensive Bikes, which means people with money who can hire good lawyers.  And I saw a few GoPros, so the reports about it being filmed are probably right.

Currently, victim interviews between the prosecutors and our clients are being scheduled. Waller PD did not ask for a single statement from any of them at the scene of the crash or at the hospitals to which they were transported, and all 6 bicyclists were conscious and wanted to participate in the Waller PD led  “investigation” at the scene.

One witness who was riding behind our clients and the other smaller group of cyclists who were assaulted when the driver coal-rolled them told us that while she was tending to two of the most seriously injured bicyclists, the only thing Officer Charles Mistric said to her (she was not asked to provide a witness statement either, nor was her contact information taken by any Waller PD officer at the scene to provide a statement at a later date or time) was that [the crash victims] would need [his business card] and that the crash report “would take at least 10 days,”as he handed the card to her with the hand-written report number on it.

Waller PD didn't even ask for statements from the victims or witnesses.

• Haha 1

Holy shit putting Daily Texan on blast lmao, had to highlight this line from the victims lawyers:

"Texas law allows for riding two abreast, however Mistric’s mention of the cyclists’ lane positioning seems more like the kind of victim blaming comments we see from internet trolls"

👀👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Ain't even gonna read this replay regurgitation of a thread from TOS but you're post is completely reasonable. 

When you see some stranger annoying you, before you react, consider...

In whatever situation...

Maybe this person is preoccupied with a sick parent.

Maybe they're worried about their kid's terminal disease.

Maybe they just got their heart smashed by someone they loved. 

Maybe they're lonely.

Maybe their friend their just died because he was a dumbass and yet stoll loves him.

Stop being petty. Be your brother's keeper. 

A worthy list. I’ll add: intestinal distress.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Puncted

16 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

That's my experience in 5 years of riding in the city.  Perhaps your friends ride different streets in a borough etc. 

The shithead kid’s parents may not have much exposure. Per Texas statute, they are liable for up to $25k in property damage per occurrence plus attorneys’ fees and costs. The bikers can get new bikes. A personal injury claim again the parents for the shithead’s tort is trickier and will depend on the facts. If he wasn’t working for his parents at the time (their agent—and even then they can make some arguments), or if the parents were unaware that their brat had a propensity for such behaviour then they have a pretty good defense. They’ll still get sued and it will settle.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, idigTexas said:

What compounds the absurdity of Mr. Cool Corvette Douche is that River Rd. has a speed limit of 25 if I recall correctly.  It's not like you were significantly slowing him down, and unless it is the height of toobing season, it's always easy to pass.  Did you sleep with is wife or something?  

It varies between 20 and 30. I was stuck behind about 30 cyclist this weekend riding the Valero 150 or some such shit.  One of them was cool and flagged us around him when he had good view (I was towing camper and was giving him space). There were SEVERAL very fat fuckers that if I had to guess were 4-5 mph avg, not only stuck behind them from Jerry’s to Icehouse, so maybe 10 mins?  One guy had to have gotten down to 1-2 mph. Didn’t think he was going to make it up that last hill.   It was a fucking pain in the ass but no where to pass in that stretch so is what it is.  

If this truly is the wealthiest family in the county of whatever, they are going to be legit loaded. We are a very small customer of a family owned business out there, and we give them 8-figures annually.  We’re afterthought type small customer for him. 

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It varies between 20 and 30. I was stuck behind about 30 cyclist this weekend riding the Valero 150 or some such shit.  One of them was cool and flagged us around him when he had good view (I was towing camper and was giving him space). There were SEVERAL very fat fuckers that if I had to guess were 4-5 mph avg, not only stuck behind them from Jerry’s to Icehouse, so maybe 10 mins?  One guy had to have gotten down to 1-2 mph. Didn’t think he was going to make it up that last hill.   It was a fucking pain in the ass but no where to pass in that stretch so is what it is.  

If this truly is the wealthiest family in the county of whatever, they are going to be legit loaded. We are a very small customer of a family owned business out there, and we give them 8-figures annually.  We’re afterthought type small customer for him. 

Usually some random dumbfuck has no idea who really has money.  So many people these days are all leverage and no liquidity.  But by the shit they have you might think they’re rich.  

28 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Dude probably would have appreciated a push, or at least picked up the pace when he could hear your radiator fan right behind him. 

On 10/3/2021 at 12:27 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Just now seeing this thread. My dad is friends with one of the guys that was airlifted. 4 fractured vertebrae. Fuck that kid. I hope he goes to jail and his parents get sued to Bolivia.

When I was a teenager my older brother was a competitive cyclist. I started to train as well and most of our training routes were not far from where this happened. A lot less traffic then, but we would have this kind of thing happen. Or have things thrown at us. We weren’t breaking any laws of the road. We wouldn’t take up the whole lane (always drafting when cars were approaching).

Some of y’all are fucking dickheads.

Are the victims given any updated information from Waller authorities?

Horrible situation all around.

Edited by pacman

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Dude probably would have appreciated a push, or at least picked up the pace when he could hear your radiator fan right behind him. 

Nah I didn’t get that close. I was sunburned, slightly hung over, and was sore from trick fucking in a bed for ants.  Wasn’t trying to add ruining several lives for hitting some traffic exerciser.  He probably did hear my fan, even though I wasn’t close up on him.  That old boy was in a bind. Good for him for raising money for MS or whatever it is but he might be better off stroking a check. 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t believe in sex tents. 

I believe you are experiencing a failure of the imagination. (Suspend your disbelief for a minute).

Start here:

image.thumb.jpeg.44a9b44353b4f93b0027106d6fd56036.jpeg

Of course,, the furniture seems less than inspiring. Except the bed. Bring in what you need.. Color the beige oxblood. Trade the white cotton for a kink suitable fabric. Got to anchor a few o-rings, here and there.

All that’s lacking is modern plumbing;  a whore’s bath is not out of place in a sex tent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I believe you are experiencing a failure of the imagination. (Suspend your disbelief for a minute).

Start here:

image.thumb.jpeg.44a9b44353b4f93b0027106d6fd56036.jpeg

Of course,, the furniture seems less than inspiring. Except the bed. Bring in what you need.. Color the beige oxblood. Trade the white cotton for a kink suitable fabric. Got to anchor a few o-rings, here and there.

All that’s lacking is modern plumbing;  a whore’s bath is not out of place in a sex tent.

A sex tent you say?

79338bf121e1a95a4dfe3249fa59498252bd9afc

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I probably like most about bike riding (at least the way I do it, being passed by joggers) is there's almost always a little nook or cranny in your town or city that you're not familiar with or completely unaware of if you tread the same ruts that you're likely to in an automobile.

20211015_111539~2-1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

On 10/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I was checking for a historical marker on the once around to no avail. The brick chimney near the back towers above everything else. 

so they didn't bury the bodies at all...

On 10/15/2021 at 9:34 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The thing I probably like most about bike riding (at least the way I do it, being passed by joggers) is there's almost always a little nook or cranny in your town or city that you're not familiar with or completely unaware of if you tread the same ruts that you're likely to in an automobile.

20211015_111539~2-1.jpg

@Prepuce of Doom  @Lobo

barn1.jpg

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Waller County Sheriff's Department is now roadblocking and stopping cycling groups in their county for "safety talks". What a load of BS. I suppose they don't pull over groups of cars and trucks for the same nuggets of wisdom. These stops of course are unconstitutional and reflect the sentiment that aggressive threats and assaults against citizens on roadways are A-OK in Waller County.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Waller County Sheriff's Department is now roadblocking and stopping cycling groups in their county for "safety talks".

Please please let one of these cyclist who is either a lawyer with lots of free time or just lots of money that decides to sue the sheriffs department for this bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

Please please let one of these cyclist who is either a lawyer with lots of free time or just lots of money that decides to sue the sheriffs department for this bullshit.

Give how many layers I know who do these kinds of rides, wouldn't surprise me to see groups of lawyers making Waller County an upcoming bike trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Waller County Sheriff's Department is now roadblocking and stopping cycling groups in their county for "safety talks". What a load of BS. I suppose they don't pull over groups of cars and trucks for the same nuggets of wisdom. These stops of course are unconstitutional and reflect the sentiment that aggressive threats and assaults against citizens on roadways are A-OK in Waller County.

I would hope that if it was a pack of cars taking up all the lanes and refusing to obey any traffic laws that they would so

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1