WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

Just now, 52-80 said:

All of these things can be simultaneously true:

1. Gov needs need better dictate and signal where bikes aren't allowed.

2. Bikers should not be riding on 290 Business. 

3. Bikers riding on 290 Business on a Saturday morning was absolutely not a nuisance to motorists. 

4. Unless there is an extremely broad and clean shoulder, the safest and best compromise for motorists and riders is for rider 1/3rd into the lane: more visible, discourages squeezing/buzzing, but allows an easy pass.

5. large packs traveling well below the speed limit should "thin out" and allow the 30 cars behind an easier pass on these narrow country roads

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ya know farm equipment will take up a lane, and will pull over to allow vehicles to pass... Bikers say fuck you I'm just gonna hold your ass up so I can live my lifestyle.  THAT is the gripe. Biles slow normal traffic to a crawl in too many cases and it causes potentially dangerous situation for oncoming traffic as vehicles have too swing wide left to pass them.

Yes.  This is exactly what we think...at least after reading some of the comments on this thread.

22 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

In virtually all situations, a 14' wide lane (which is the widest lane TxDOT builds)

Huh?  TxDOT routinely builds standard lanes from 16' to 18' nowadays (why would they make a law with an exception that is not an exception??).
Nevertheless, I'm 100% certain of this law, have had it discussed many times, even back as a kid in another state.  Most U.S. states have this type of speed law, and Texas clearly does.  

In any case get out of it what you want.  I'm only posting here for others to know the law, not to go back/forth.  Chances are you'll not have to "test" your interpretation (I hope not).  But those bikers who insist that they have the exact same rights to the road as motorized vehicles (if so, why would we even need these laws?) and hold up traffic, good for them.  They can do that, but they can also get a horn up their ass- and they often do.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Feel free to drive your horse and buggy down interstate 10 and let me know how it works out

This is actually kind of interesting in parts of Ohio and Pennsylvania with the Amish driving horse and buggies down the road.  I’ve gotten caught behind them.  

As a driver, whatever is impeding me from driving up to and over the speed limit on whatever road I’m on sometimes pisses me off.  

As a road cyclist for the last 30 years, I try to stick to roads with a shoulder so as not to impede traffic, or ride early in the morning, or on the weekends, or on country roads with light traffic.  Because it’s safer for me. In the last few miles of my ride later in the morning I usually end up on a four lane divided road with curbs and more traffic, which is the most dangerous.  In that case I generally ride in the middle of the right lane so that cars are forced to change lanes to pass.  I try to wear highly colorful clothes which stand out from the background so that I can be seen easier. I also have at least two bright tail lights to signal to drivers that I’m there.  I wear padded Lycra cycling shorts because they provide protection to myself and that area of my body from things best left unsaid.  I don’t look great in them and I don’t care.  

I follow the basic rule on the road of “right of way” when approaching an intersection. If there is a stop sign, and I have the right of way, I will slow down and make sure other drivers are aware of my presence before proceeding, normally without coming to a complete stop. If I don’t have the right of way, I stop and allow those that do to proceed.  if I’m coming to a light controlled intersection I stop if the light is red. If there is no traffic in any direction, I run the red light.  If I’m riding with a group we follow these same basic rules (although we will generally stop at a red light) except we ride in a double pace line and go through intersections as a group, and ride single file on high speed four lane roads with no shoulder.  

Cyclists that don’t follow these basic rules either through ignorance or arrogance are dumbasses and will get thinned from herd more quickly.  Guys that join our group rides that don’t follow the rules are asked to leave.  Our goal is to come home safe at the end of the ride.

I ride my road bike for many of the same reasons that I enjoy driving.  The open road, speed, scenery, fresh air, the different weather conditions and seasons that I encounter that all make life more interesting.  I don’t care for riding in traffic.  It sucks. So I try to minimize that in my riding.

I appreciate courteous drivers that work with me to help everyone get where they’re going.  I’ve also had horns honked, birds flipped and beer bottles thrown at me.  And yes, a few dipshits roll coal.  Depending on my particular mood that day I may respond in kind or just throw the peace sign.  I’m working on doing the latter more than the former.

That’s my story.

TL/DR:  I ride a road bike and plan to keep doing it. 

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Huh?  TxDOT routinely builds standard lanes from 16' to 18' nowadays (why would they make a law with an exception that is not an exception??)

Why would TxDOT ever build a 16 or 18' wide lane?  That is literally crazy. The widest they currently build is 14'. 

The typical width of existing lanes is less than 14'.  14' is a recent design standard, and most of our network was built decades ago.  10' wide lanes is most typical for existing facilities.  These are the situations we are talking about - 10' wide lanes and no shoulders.  A facility with 14' lanes is a new facility. A new facility would also either have wide shoulders or a dedicated bike lane.  

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Feel free to drive your horse and buggy down interstate 10 and let me know how it works out

I see we have a second big brain motherfucker on here that wants to bring up interstates, which is totally what is being discussed.

Interstates are in a grouping known as limited access highways. These also include certain US and State routes. Many types of things are barred from them as they are specifically designed for high speed vehicular traffic. They also post date cars by a significant amount which just doubles down on your retort is completely inane.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I see we have a second big brain motherfucker on here that wants to bring up interstates, which is totally what is being discussed.

Interstates are in a grouping known as limited access highways. These also include certain US and State routes. Many types of things are barred from them as they are specifically designed for high speed vehicular traffic. They also post date cars by a significant amount which just doubles down on your retort is completely inane.

If I had your Aston Martin (pretty sure that was you) I would have no need for a bicycle.

Yet they constantly are, and are 75% of what people are complaining about. As noted several times, it’s the delta in speed that is the issue.  People would be bitching just as much if it were assholes imitating Tiger Woods while driving their golf carts on these roads. 

Can we air grievances here about the latest generation of parents cruising my neighborhood in golf carts?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Can we air grievances here about the latest generation of parents cruising my neighborhood in golf carts?

The parents aren't nearly as annoying as when they let their teenage kids and all their friends ride around on them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Rural Ohio and Pennsylvania say Hello, Neighbor. 

ORTGUTP5NVB7DD4ZHKFPX7C43U.jpg

Two Amish males ran from sheriff’s deputies after they were pulled over in Trumbull County, leaving behind a horse-drawn buggy that had beer and a stereo system inside, according to reports.

WKBN Channel 27 reports deputies still haven’t found the two males, who ran into a wooded area near Donlan and Mahan Parker roads. They were stopped at about 1 a.m. Sunday after deputies saw the men drinking while riding in the buggy.

The horse kept on trotting down the road after the males jumped from the buggy, WKBN reports. The buggy was towed and the horse is being care for until an owner comes forward.

Deputies reportedly found a 12-pack of Michelob Ultra on top of the buggy and several open bottles were found inside. The buggy also was equipped with a stereo system, WKBN reports.

North Bloomfield is located about 50 miles east of Cleveland.

• Haha 1

54% of bicycle fatalities occur on interstates, US highways, state highways, county roads or FM roads. 

However, the largest percentage of bicycle crash fatalities (33 percent) occurred on U.S. and state highways (which represent only 15 percent of injuries).  Interstate highways and farm-to-market roads similarly account for larger percentages of bicyclist fatalities compared to injuries.”

I’ve read here the belief that traffic on these roads (excluding interstates)  should slow down. Yet, speed limits keep going up. These are roads built for commerce, mainly (excluding county roads.)  Expecting folks’ livelihood to proceed at the pace of your leisure is entitled af.

I begrudge every second spent in a car. That’s why I spent the money to bring my work on to my property. I seldom drive, and almost never find myself in rush hour traffic.

The rancher I spoke with, who has decided in advance his course of action in a worst case scenario, had obviously spent time thinking about the subject. He isn’t the type to be dreaming up unlikely circumstance. He lives in a beautiful area, and there are those bikers who like to group up and enjoy the scenery on unsafe roads.

As do Interstates, FM roads bear grim witness to a natural thinning of the herd, the fault most always squarely on the shoulders of those in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anyway, peace, Surly-ers.

https://www.sharetheroadtexas.org/statistics/

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spelling
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Expecting folks’ livelihood to proceed at the pace of your leisure is entitled af

I agree. Every one of you auto commuters should get the fuck off the road so all of us engaged in commerce can actually move unencumbered.

56 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

About 10 years ago, I drove down the road to an aggy neighbor's property after Tucker's field goal so I could properly celebrate. I don't remember exactly what I was yelling but it was some combination of "Texas Longhorns, Case McCoy, scoreboard, Hook 'em..."

Just now, GW Hayduke said:

You might reread this line from my post, (the part you excised:)

FM roads bear grim witness to a natural thinning of the herd, the fault squarely on the shoulders of those in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

Still, absolutes are mostly inexact and I will change my post to reflect that.

8 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Trigger warning. Just poring some gas on my fav thread. 

Lol.  Well fueled.  But yes, that is a prime example of complete dickhead behavior by cyclists.  There were some decent guys in there as well.

I'm curious, and don't jump to any conclusions, but how many cyclists also happen to be engineers?

Edited by Samson's Wig

7 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

That's in Canada, but I agree that they are doing it wrong.  I would not ride with a group like that.  

Cyclists with your principles are not the issue. The video shows one problematic type of cyclist. Of course, even that type of cyclists seem to have supporters among this thread.

Also, @GW Hayduke, why do you not view commuting as commerce?

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit

31 minutes ago, F250 said:

About 10 years ago, I drove down the road to an aggy neighbor's property after Tucker's field goal so I could properly celebrate. I don't remember exactly what I was yelling but it was some combination of "Texas Longhorns, Case McCoy, scoreboard, Hook 'em..."

AFTER the game?  You decided to get on a bike?  If your blood alcohol was even close to what mine was, I'm imagining it going down like this....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Also, @GW Hayduke, why do you not view commuting as commerce?

I'm not sure what the question is about.  

My overall point is that state law allows a cyclist to travel on our roadways and gives them as much legal right to a travel lane as a vehicle in most circumstances.  The false belief that cyclists must stay on the far right side of a lane is not supported by the law and actually invites additional danger.  The actual mechanics of how a cyclist should use any facility is dependant on the specifics of the corridor.   All of that applies to recreational riders along with commuters.  

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

AFTER the game?  You decided to get on a bike?  If your blood alcohol was even close to what mine was, I'm imagining it going down like this....

giphy.gif

Immediately after the game but not a bike. Polaris Ranger, that doesn't count as drunk driving I think but I am not a lawyer.

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

Immediately after the game but not a bike. Polaris Ranger, that doesn't count as drunk driving I think but I am not a lawyer.

If George Jones can drive to the liquor store on a lawn mower, by God man, you are good to go!

There is precedent

image.jpeg.e0a2db64459d30d658dcad78ae4a65f4.jpeg

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

One thing I always find colors these discussions is that bike riding varies wildly by community. And I'm not talking about roadies in lycra, but just general mobility. In my area cars are absolutely 3rd class citizens after foot traffic and bikes. No one local is hopping in a car to try and navigate the Virginia Beach resort area. If my wife and I are heading to brunch or whatever, it's bikes. They are definitely the dominant mode of transport for local trips.

• Like 1

Those guys are complete dick cyclists.   I don't know the speed limit on that road but a group like that should easily be doing 25 so if that's the speed limit fine.  If its not then dicks.    They aren't even double they are 3 and 4x so pull all their asses over and hand out tickets

I will ride river road out of Gruene with my buddy from time to time. Usually leaving Gruene hall around 8am.  We ride double to catch up and just talk but as soon as we get wind of car we go single.   Last time out a Corvette came up on us and as soon as we heard him we went single.  He proceeded to honk and I think he yelled something at us and then jammed on the gas.   It's Saturday at 10am and micropenis was unhappy that we caused him 10 seconds on his Saturday morning drive.   

When we talk about taking a lane its only if there is another lane for cars to pass in.   

Now I have ridden with a really large pack like that in nyc.  Going up Riverside over the GW.   That group of 30 took the entire lane but we were also probably over the speed limit and yes we ran every single light and in a lot of cases we went around cars waiting at lights but NYrs are pretty used to it and don't bitch.  

Edited by midtown
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, midtown said:

Those guys are complete dick cyclists.   I don't know the speed limit on that road but a group like that should easily be doing 25 so if that's the speed limit fine.  If its not then dicks.    They aren't even double they are 3 and 4x so pull all their asses over and hand out tickets

This is why people talk shit about cyclists. I encountered a group like the one in that video on FM 165 as I was driving into Henly coming in from Blanco. Not a lot of room to maneuver and I was pulling a trailer so I didn't want to risk killing anyone so I just drove slow until the road cleared up. I wasn't in a rush so not a big deal but still pretty annoying.

• Rage+1 1