WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

Just now, Nivek said:

I live in Houston.   I enjoyed my time in Austin, but that time was over.   The Austin rush hour traffic was a shit show when I lived there in the early 2000s.  Removing every cyclist wouldn't make it less of a shit show.    You would just shift your rage to something else probably.  

The joke was, that you can NOT drive through downtown Austin during rush hour without dodging a bike or two each week.  They don’t obey the laws.  They lane split, run red lights/stop signs, cruise onto and off of the sidewalks cutting into traffic with impunity and without care for their own safety. Once you understand that cyclists don’t give a shit and have carte blanche granted to them by the city, then and ONLY then will you be able to effectively navigate downtown.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Bikers don't tailgate, swerve, flash highbeams, make erratic turns, or do any of the other hundreds of things that other annoying things motorists may do.  They go at a predictable pace, take less space, are easier to see beyond, and are a much safer and easier pass than getting around a UHaul, 18 wheeler, truck trailer, etc. 

They should be as bothersome as 5 ants at a campsite.  Take the 3 seconds out of your life to drive around them and move on.

Except when they blow through every stop sign and every red light in sight.  Again, drive through downtown Austin for a week, and enjoy the pleasures of having to look both ways at every green light, because you never know when a cyclist is coming to blow through it.  Enjoy the occasional cyclist broadsiding your car (I've seen it happen twice).  Enjoy them yelling at you as you fail to yield to them....when you have the green light.  Watch out for them as you cross the street on foot, as they will run the light/stop sign and you will have to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit (I've seen pedestrians hit by cyclists here as well).

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Except when they blow through every stop sign and every red light in sight.  Again, drive through downtown Austin for a week, and enjoy the pleasures of having to look both ways at every green light, because you never know when a cyclist is coming to blow through it.  Enjoy the occasional cyclist broadsiding your car (I've seen it happen twice).  Enjoy them yelling at you as you fail to yield to them....when you have the green light.  Watch out for them as you cross the street on foot, as they will run the light/stop sign and you will have to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit (I've seen pedestrians hit by cyclists here as well).

Without a doubt, some cyclists act irresponsibly. I would imagine they don't feel always feel like that. They might argue that running a red light is ok because they don't see traffic and its a pain to unclip. To me that would be someone with a manual transmission car arguing that stopping is pointless because they don't see traffic and its a pain to shift gears.

CSB anecdote but I was stopped in traffic within Memorial Park in Houston. single lane both directions. It was due to some construction ahead. After sitting there for a minute, I decided to take a left turn onto a connecting street. I signaled and started to turn when a cyclist from behind rode into my door/side mirror. He didn't want to wait in traffic and ignored my turn signal so we hit.  100% his fault that he decided to make a lane and not yield to my right of way. 

(Roll coal boy should have been arrested and face prison time.)

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, drive through downtown Austin for a week, and enjoy the pleasures of having to look both ways at every green light, because you never know when a cyclist is coming to blow through it.  Enjoy the occasional cyclist broadsiding your car (I've seen it happen twice).  Enjoy them yelling at you as you fail to yield to them....when you have the green light.  Watch out for them as you cross the street on foot, as they will run the light/stop sign and you will have to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit (I've seen pedestrians hit by cyclists here as well).

I35 frontage road South, exiting onto MLK Jr.  2 lanes turning right.  I was on the left lane.  Light turns green and I'm 1/3rd into the turn. 

Bike flies in between the 2 lanes, bangs into my RF, and rider flips onto the pavement. 

Clearly his fault -- didnt belong on frontage road; zipping too fast; assumed i was going straight, etc.  My car didn't have a scratch (probably wheel on wheel contact).  That was 15 years ago.  No harm came onto me or my possession; never seen occurence that reckless again; and not enough for me to ostracize every other rider on earth forever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I find cyclist annoying but not enough to do anything more than call them gay on the interwebs or flip them off.  The kid should have been arrested.  

This.  I cut the kid zero slack or sympathy, he was a dick being a dick breaking the shit out of the law, and his crooked community covered it up and covered his ass.  All of that's bullshit, and the consequences should be severe.

As for cyclists in Austin being dicks, I just stick with badmouthing them on the interwebs, and flipping them off and honking at them when appropriate.  The same as I do for anyone else acting like a dick on the roads (don't get me started on the morons on scooters, who do worse shit than the bikes, and are practically begging to die in traffic -- SO freaking stupid).

As a sometimes/casual bike rider...Ive ridden to work, concerts, bars, Astros/Dynamo games etc..I don't lump myself in with the tour de Houston types all decked out in race gear or the bike messenger/agro-city riders.

I stick to side/neighborhood streets when possible.  If there are no cars around, no I don't stop at stop signs.  Typically will stop at lights, no matter what.

That being said, I'm more concerned with the thousands of people operating 3000-5500 pound machines while looking at their phones.

The fact that a thread about a fucking kid running into/over 6 people while fucking with them, has turned into an anti-cycle circle jerk, while not surprising for this place, is a little disappointing.

• Hook 'Em 4

Once again, the reason this turned into a anti-bike circle jerk is because there is nothing to defend as far as the kid is concerned. He acted stupidly and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

That being said, if it weren’t for the muh bike freedoms people, this particular incident would not have occurred.

• Hook 'Em 1

Beyond the obvious tragedy of what happened here, it was out of downtown so there really is no correlation to griping about cyclists in downtown Austin or where ever. But if anyone does want to discuss downtown areas, I can tell you I have no sympathy for anyone griping about being inconvenienced in a car in a high density area. You should be on a bike or foot if you want unencumbered movement in a heavily pedestrianized zone. I'd fucking ban personal cars from downtowns for non residents if it were up to me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'd fucking ban personal cars from downtowns for non residents if it were up to me.

I'm with you there.

As for the cyclist bitching, no one gives a shit about cyclists who are considerate and follow the law, just as no one gives a shit about auto drivers who are considerate and follow the law.  No one notices either.  It's the inconsiderate assholes that are the main part of the problem.  The rest of the problem is that absolutely no one thinks they're the inconsiderate asshole, whether riding a bike or driving a car. 

I, for one, just assume absolutely everyone (except me of course), regardless of mode of transportation, is a self absorbed piece of shit who will always choose to do the absolute dumbest, rudest, and most dangerous thing that can be done while moving about in public. It's surprisingly calming to approach the situation with complete equity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

, for one, just assume absolutely everyone (except me of course), regardless of mode of transportation, is a self absorbed piece of shit who will always choose to do the absolute dumbest, rudest, and most dangerous thing that can be done while moving about in public. It's surprisingly calming to approach the situation with complete equity.

Also, 100% this.

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm with you there.

As for the cyclist bitching, no one gives a shit about cyclists who are considerate and follow the law, just as no one gives a shit about auto drivers who are considerate and follow the law.  No one notices either.  It's the inconsiderate assholes that are the main part of the problem.  The rest of the problem is that absolutely no one thinks they're the inconsiderate asshole, whether riding a bike or driving a car. 

I, for one, just assume absolutely everyone (except me of course), regardless of mode of transportation, is a self absorbed piece of shit who will always choose to do the absolute dumbest, rudest, and most dangerous thing that can be done while moving about in public. It's surprisingly calming to approach the situation with complete equity.

Fucking this. 

Trust no one. At any given moment half the people around you are stupider than the average person. GerorgeCarlin.jpg 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hate said:

Once again, the reason this turned into a anti-bike circle jerk is because there is nothing to defend as far as the kid is concerned. He acted stupidly and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

That being said, if it weren’t for the muh bike freedoms people, this particular incident would not have occurred.

Since you want to victim blame, tell us where these cyclists should have been riding instead?

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So when driving...you're saying be........'defensive'

I'll see myself out

And a good offense is the best defense. Holy shit, that kid was right! How do I trick out my lexus to roll coal? Fuck everyone! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Haha 2

1. Warren Diepraam, the special prosecutor here, is notoriously, legendarily and even historically hardass. He has been doing the best he can to steadily erase the line between DWI manslaughter and felony murder for decades now, infamously reasoning that crashing into someone in your car amounted to assault with a deadly weapon (that being your car). Formerly a Harris County ADA, he retreated to Montgomery Co in a mass exodus of like-minded prosecutors when the old hang 'em high guard got voted out of office, and somehow now is in Waller Co. If he was too much of a hardass for Montgomery County, I don't know what to say. In his Harris days, he charged a Pasadena school bus driver (not intoxicated) who ran over a kid with murder for no real good reason at all except to garner headlines; charge was reduced to manslaughter, and the poor driver was acquitted because the kid was probably at fault or it was just one of those things.

He is Soud Afrikan, which made it a little odd when he handled Sandra Bland's investigation. You'd think Waller Co would have realized that would not have sat well with the bleks in such a high-profile case. He really does seem to just hate everybody equally, so if he is not corrupt, this kid is up shit creek.

2. I am not a big fan of hate crime legislation in general but I think there is an argument to be made that rollin' coal is a hate crime, in that the coal rollers target cyclists and drivers of cars like Priuses or those bearing stickers endorsing ideas or politicians they don't like. In other words, librulz. I believe in some states political affiliation is a protected class, ironically, because of butthurt conservatives and their stupid persecution complex.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Registration on bikes now? 

I'd imagine the people riding high-end road bikes, training for an ironman event have owned a car at one point. But also, bicycles don't really put the same wear and tear on infrastructure that a multi-ton, coal rolling, tiny dick truck does. Which is the main goal of vehicle and trailer registration fees - to repair the wear and tear they cause to roads.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

31st and speedway, stopped at the stop sign heading north. Cyclist traveling westbound takes the 90 degree left to head south and crashes full speed into my front end and goes head first on the hood. 

Picks himself up, says fuck you and them hauls ass with his broken bike on foot. No bother for the damages. Glad he ripped his unitard. 

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

If the cyclists weren't using the roads they are legally entitled to use and pay taxes on, they wouldn't have gotten hurt, huh?

Sweet victim blaming, bro

Cyclists need to pay for a state registration license for each bike they ride on public streets & highways, just like we (and they) do for all the cars, trucks, & motorcycles.

And yes, Austin has been spending millions on the local bicycle infrastructure for years.

The little shit who ran over those cyclists should have his ass beaten then go to jail after his family pays the victims restitution.

Edited by Armybrat
Slow
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Registration on bikes now? 

This is right up there with the hypocrites about traffic laws.   90% of cyclists own cars and therefore pay taxes and contributed plenty to the construction and maintenance of the roads they use.  If you want to use this then all you electric vehicle driving people should not be allowed to use the roads at all.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Also known as "The Law".

Right.  I acknowledge that they have the legal right to do so and have never challenged that.  I will forever think that them riding in traffic is absolutely stupid to the point of recklessness.  I think they endanger not only themselves, but also put motorist at danger.  In a perfect world, all motorist would be well rested, not distracted by anything,  and focused on nothing but driving, but we all know that is not the case.  Cyclist being on road where motorists are traveling greater than 30 MPH puts everyone in danger and I think it it stupid regardless of whether or not it is legal.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Cyclists need to pay for a state registration license for each bike they ride on public streets & highways, just like we (and they) do for all the cars, trucks, & motorcycles.

So moronic.   The majority of road funding is from gas.   Fees are based on weight right?  So tell me where to send my .15.  And be sure to charge this for every 6 year old on a bike.  The reason we don't fee bikes is that it's so completely impractical that only a moron would suggest it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Right.  I acknowledge that they have the legal right to do so and have never challenged that.  I will forever think that them riding in traffic is absolutely stupid to the point of recklessness.  I think they endanger not only themselves, but also put motorist at danger.  In a perfect world, all motorist would be well rested, not distracted by anything,  and focused on nothing but driving, but we all know that is not the case.  Cyclist being on road where motorists are traveling greater than 30 MPH puts everyone in danger and I think it it stupid regardless of whether or not it is legal.

Motorists being on any road traveling any speed puts everyone in danger.  Lets remove all motorists from the roads.  

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

So moronic.   The majority of road funding is from gas.   Fees are based on weight right?  So tell me where to send my .15.  And be sure to charge this for every 6 year old on a bike.  The reason we don't fee bikes is that it's so completely impractical that only a moron would suggest it.  

No it isn’t. Bikes need to pay for their fair share because their specialized infrastructure  is costing all the taxpayers millions.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

I will forever think that them riding in traffic is absolutely stupid to the point of recklessness.  I think they endanger not only themselves, but also put motorist at danger.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

and what exactly does that have to do with THIS situation? They weren't riding in traffic. By witness accounts, the criminal made a point to drive dangerously close to the cyclists so he could spray unburnt diesel fumes all over them for HYUKS

Just now, Captainant said:

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

and what exactly does that have to do with THIS situation? They weren't riding in traffic. By witness accounts, the criminal made a point to drive dangerously close to the cyclists so he could spray unburnt diesel fumes all over them for HYUKS

Correct.

punk went out of his way to cause the problem