WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

Bicyclists and motorists can coexist.  It works because it works in many places.

* People riding on sidewalks arent "bicyclists".  They're slow noobs, who shouldn't bother you.  Or they're idiots, which does your affect your driving on the road anyway.

* People riding around downtown arent "bicyclists".  They're commuting to their jobs, by necessity.  Blame the city for not putting in a better infrastructure.  Have sympathy for people who don't get to enjoy the luxury of air conditioning driving from the office to your lunch break at papasitos.  They're the ones cooking your food.

(they could also be homeless people and/or junkies.  then they're fair game)

* People riding 2-abreast are good for you.  It shortens the passing distance, and still massively easier to get around than a farm tractor.

* People riding in dangerous situation... don't exist, or shouldn't be there.  Government responsibility to restrict in high speed sectors, tunnels, low visibility, etc.  Traffic management is sort of their job.  The claims about going around a blind curve and running into a bike... I don't believe it.  You're not racing around Monte fucking Carlo.  You're driving on a farm-to-market road in Sealy TX. 

If you catch someone pedaling 2 wheels on interstate 45.... they're idiots and they'll probably die anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, midtown said:

It doesn't matter. But for sake of the discussion.

It's probably 40 and since it's a Cat 4 climb Im doing 10.

Definition of stupid games. 

12 hours ago, midtown said:
12 hours ago, conVINCEd said:
It’s unsafe because of the speed differential.

There are no minimum speeds. What you are really saying is: that person operating legally at a lower speed is inconveniencing me and I don't want to be inconvenienced by following the law and yielding to someone legally operating a vehicle.

Wrong, you can always be charged for impeding traffic. See going too slow on an off ramp, etc. you can be ticketed. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

// I've got zero beef with cyclists who utilize the millions of dollars worth of bike lanes we've built in Austin to accommodate people crazy enough to commute on a bike in Texas.  It's the assholes who insist on riding on roads they shouldn't be on, even if they legally can, that piss me off. 

This. I guess maybe that’s not an option in Waller County, but at least in places like Austin where you can get pretty much anywhere you want by using dedicated bike lanes or shoulders, they shouldn’t be allowed on roads that don’t have them. And we’re not even talking about mobility issues with the cyclists at issue. They aren’t out riding instead of driving. They’re exercising. I can’t take a Polaris down the highway if it isn’t street legal. If I was driving my truck 15mph in a 75 I’d at least get pulled over. If I’m not wearing a seat belt I’d get ticketed. There’s no reason cyclists should have “the same rights to the road as drivers” in every situation. City streets? Sure, I can live with the annoyance. Highways or narrow country roads? Nah. That should be illegal. It’s a danger to them, and it’s a danger to drivers. Those people aren’t on the road for any purpose other than looking like a candy ass douche while getting their cardio.

All that being said, the kid should be charged with something fairly serious, and his parents should be paying out hefty damages.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, hornbri said:

The way that story is written I don’t think you could have arrested him on the spot  

“Ferrell says a black diesel pickup truck slowed down near him and accelerated to blow smoke in his lane.  Moments later, Ferrell claims the pickup truck tried doing the same thing to the other cyclists riding ahead of him.”

While a extremely dick move, I am not sure slowing down and accelerating is a illegal move, and that is all the witness claimed. There may be a case for reckless driving and endangering others but just from this article it seems far from a slam dunk. With out hard evidence of a crime this is just a accident to the cop and should let the investigation play out. 

just reading it I could see the case of the first cyclist being pissed off about what the kid did and in a rage blame him for a accident that happened minutes later. I know this is surly but those sure are fast jumps to conclusions y’all made. 

I saw an article that said that there were 60+ witnesses and the truck driver admitted to what he was doing at the scene.  I will try to find it later.  That would be far from a he said he said situation.  There were people airlifted from the scene.  By not arresting him on the spot you are losing access to possible evidence.  Had he been drinking?  Drugs? Did he record it?

• Hook 'Em 1

A good way to avoid dumbfuck drivers who get triggered by a cyclist to the point of endangering their lives, is do what I do and start riding at 5AM. Mouthbreathers, teenagers, brodozers, and anyone else with an emotional IQ low enough to mess with a cyclist generally aren't awake between 5 and 9AM.  I also ride on the same boring ass 9 mile loop because is very light on cars and safe. I wouldn't even fathom riding after 10AM on any day, unless its some kind of closed course. All the bad shit that's ever happened to me on a bike has been after 10AM.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

False equivalencies, thy name is hate. Keep up the good work, champ. 

You should change your name to false equivalencies or captin straw man.  You spent much of your time on this thread accusing people of supporting the kid, which could not be further from the truth.  Other than one poster saying we should wait on the evidence, every other poster said the kid was dumb and should be prosecuted.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

The 16 year old deserved a beating plus being arrested.

about 20 years ago I was into biking for a season for two. Borrowed a bike and participated in a few of the large rides. Maybe I went out for a handful of weekend rides in the brookshire area. Between the training and organized rides, I recall thinking that cyclists were taking over some of the country roads on Saturday mornings. It’s their right to be there but I could see locals getting sick of them.

the main cyclist behavior that I shake my head at are the night urban rides. I know critical mass is one of them. They like my neighborhood and I see them ride past my house a few times per year. Covid may have limited or stopped them. Anyway it’s effectively a 10-15 minute bicycle parade where no traffic laws are followed. Stop signs, lights, and even lane direction are ignored. Luckily I only got caught once at a stop sign waiting them out.

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

You should change your name to false equivalencies or captin straw man.  You spent much of your time on this thread accusing people of supporting the kid, which could not be further from the truth.  Other than one poster saying we should wait on the evidence, every other poster said the kid was dumb and should be prosecuted.

You must HATE reading comprehension because the only person I said was supporting the shitbag kid was hornbri. But you're welcome to quote me wherever I accused multiple people.

My criticisms were that y'all have spent way more effort thinking up hypothetical situations that aren't comparable to this one to further elaborate how much y'all hate those damn cyclists. And then you'll say one sentence of "but fuck that guy". Just noting the difference in focus is all. 

Because there isn't much to discuss in regards to the idiot kid.  He should be prosecuted.  What he did is absolutely stupid and abhorrent and is a behavior I could never understand even if I have a disdain for cyclist on high trafficked roads.  There is much to discuss about the muh bike freedom guy that decides to put his own life at risk as well as put the general public in harms way just because he can legally do so. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Anybody 'rolling coal' should be beaten senseless and their truck crushed into a cube just on principle. Add in jail time for him and bankruptcy for him and his family for the injuries.

im farthest from a green peace sierra club flag waver out there, but if your idea of fun is intentionally dumping a cloud of ash and soot from your tail pipe... honestly you should be wrapped in a burlap sack and have stones thrown at you. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Hate said:

There is much to discuss about the muh bike freedom guy that decides to put his own life at risk as well as put the general public in harms way just because he can legally do so. 

Just seems inappropriate to discuss in a thread where the people attacked and hospitalized were not "muh bike freedom" people, and were riding on a 2 lane country road that wasn't busy or running red lights or any of the other things y'all have been pontificating about. 

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Does anybody even know the road in question? Two lane? Breakdown lane? Wide or no shoulders? Visibility, blind turns, etc?

From the local news reporting I've read, it was a 2 lane country road that's long, flat, and straight. Typically not busy and a frequent place for cyclists to train because of those factors. 

Not a windy curvy road, or an urban area, or any of the other hypotheticals discussed at length in this thread. 

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Just seems inappropriate to discuss in a thread where the people attacked and hospitalized were not "muh bike freedom" people, and were riding on a 2 lane country road that wasn't busy or running red lights or any of the other things y'all have been pontificating about.

Um, how long have you posted on Shaggy/Surly?  How many threads end up going off in different tangents than originally intended?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hornbri said:

this board constantly complains about cops and their actions. All I am saying is if the only two statements are the driver and the one cyclist behind the accident. Then I think the cop did the right thing by just filing a report and letting the system work. 

This is actually a prime example of bad cops and bad actions.

If it was you or me fucking with a group of cyclist and then plowing into another group of cyclists, or the driver was anything but white, we/he would have been arrested.

He's 16.  He didn't come up with this method of fucking with cyclists on his own - somebody taught him or he saw somebody else do it, or saw videos of this kind of shit.  

And at 16 and a rich kid in daddy's truck, he's not doing this simply because he finds it amusing - he's not living in a vacuum.  Had he not run over 6 people, there probably would have been a video or two passed around to his friends.

The cops letting him walk free gives him time to destroy any evidence on his phone.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

290 business 2 miles west of waller:

image.png

Straight as an arrow, flat as a board, with TX levels of visibility on Saturday around noon... no traffic, and no excuse that the bikers posed a surprise nuisance.

Speed limit is 55.  Tricyclists riding in a pack should be around 22-25.

That said, if the bikers were headed in that direction, they SHOULD have ridden on the Old Houston Hwy which parallels 290Biz for miles and miles

image.png

Okay, here's an angle you should understand Hate: those bikes were all high end, carbon fiber triathlon bikes. $5k+ each easy. I do recall you having some very strong opinions about those who destroy others property. Based on your previous posts in DT about property damage, shouldn't this kid have been shot or something because of his causing of $30k+ in property damage?

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Okay, here's an angle you should understand Hate: those bikes were all high end, carbon fiber triathlon bikes. $5k+ each easy. I do recall you having some very strong opinions about those who destroy others property. Based on your previous posts in DT about property damage, shouldn't this kid have been shot or something because of his causing of $30k+ in property damage?

What the hell are you on about? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I guy I used to ride with was one of the 6 that were hit.  He said everyone was out of the hospital by Monday.  Lots of surgeries for broken bones and stuff like that.  They have hired bike law to go after the driver.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, but glad to hear that nobody's life was ended just so some 16yo shitheel could have some laughs. Best of luck to them in their civil action, and I hope they press criminal charges against him for reckless endangerment and assault with a deadly weapon

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I recently started riding on the road since I am doing an Ironman and I am a nervous wreck the whole time about being ran over. I also ride with someone and we do it on country roads early Saturday mornings but I still cannot relax. We only had to deal with 1 impatient person so far and I think it helps we ride on a 30 mile loop where people expect cyclists. I am doing my best not to be a cycle douche. 

ryan reynolds hd GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Opinion:  riders shouldn't have been on 290-Biz

Law:  not illegal for riders to have been on 290-Biz

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/modes-of-travel/bicycle/know/laws.html

content_link_down_arrow.pngIs it legal to ride a bike on interstate highways in Texas?

The Texas Transportation Commission by resolution or order recorded in its minutes may prohibit the use of a limited-access or controlled-access highway under the jurisdiction of the commission by a parade, funeral procession, pedestrian, bicycle, electric bicycle, motor-driven cycle, or non-motorized traffic.

If the commission adopts a rule prohibiting the use of bikes on such a roadway, the commission shall erect and maintain official traffic-control devices on the portions of the limited-access or controlled-access highway to which the rule applies. Tex. Transp. Code § 545.065.

Note: The office of General Counsel is unaware of the commission taking any such action to date.

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I know that area well.  We have property north of there.  It is certainly legal to ride there.  I wouldn't.  Vehicles haul ass down business 290. 

There are all sorts of FM roads in the area that are much better suited and safer for bikes.  We see cyclists all the time on them.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

I saw an article that said that there were 60+ witnesses and the truck driver admitted to what he was doing at the scene.  I will try to find it later.  That would be far from a he said he said situation.  There were people airlifted from the scene.  By not arresting him on the spot you are losing access to possible evidence.  Had he been drinking?  Drugs? Did he record it?

Yeah that would be a huge difference. Of course he should go to jail then. 

14 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I recently started riding on the road since I am doing an Ironman and I am a nervous wreck the whole time about being ran over. I also ride with someone and we do it on country roads early Saturday mornings but I still cannot relax. We only had to deal with 1 impatient person so far and I think it helps we ride on a 30 mile loop where people expect cyclists. I am doing my best not to be a cycle douche. 

Back in my Ironman days I had friends that would train only on a computrainer or would do 100 loops at the picnic loop in Memorial park to avoid traffic.  I couldn’t stand to do that, so I took my chances out on the road.  I always went as early as possible and since I grew up road racing I knew how to stay out of the middle of the road and not do the dumb shit that gets you into fights with motorists.  This group that got hit was a group of triathletes, which tend to be the shittiest bike handlers on the planet and can be real assholes out on the road.  The guy I know in the group is a good rider and does not start shit with people, so I think in this situation they got unlucky that this 16 year old asshole decided to fuck with them.  

Good luck with your training, make sure you practice riding the bike straight so that you aren’t one of those wankers in the race that can’t ride in a straight line.  

Back in my Ironman days I had friends that would train only on a computrainer or would do 100 loops at the picnic loop in Memorial park to avoid traffic.  I couldn’t stand to do that, so I took my chances out on the road.  I always went as early as possible and since I grew up road racing I knew how to stay out of the middle of the road and not do the dumb shit that gets you into fights with motorists.  This group that got hit was a group of triathletes, which tend to be the shittiest bike handlers on the planet and can be real assholes out on the road.  The guy I know in the group is a good rider and does not start shit with people, so I think in this situation they got unlucky that this 16 year old asshole decided to fuck with them.  
Good luck with your training, make sure you practice riding the bike straight so that you aren’t one of those wankers in the race that can’t ride in a straight line.  

Thanks man. I mostly hug the right side of the lane. I’ve seen some douchy riders and I am committed to not being one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

As a runner and as somebody who walks their kids to school a few times a week, in the past few years, I may or may not have shoulder-checked a cyclist or stepped out in front of a few who had to stop or go off the sidewalk and/or crash, who thought they were doing the Tour de France past groups of little kids on a tightly-packed sidewalk.  Pulling out one's cellphone and pretending to record them while they start to yell at you/get back on their bikes, and asking them "why do you think you can try and scare or knock over little kids on the sidewalk, what's your name, why are you trying to scare 5 year-olds who are just trying to go to school, are you trying to get arrested for injuring a kid?" makes them vacate the scene quickly, lol.

I like to bike with my kids, but it's Austin, so I've taught my kids to always assume that at any given stoplight or stop sign, somebody will blow through it while on their cell phone.  The cyclists who think everybody is watching out for them, it's only a matter of time until they blow through a stop sign or stoplight and encounter a motorist with the same attitude.  It won't be soon enough for many of them, because they are fucking everything up for the rest of us who like to occasionally bike.

That's exactly why cyclists have zero sympathy outside of cycling communities. I live in the burbs, but one with a heavy cycling community. I have seen cyclists just blow through lights and just expect everyone - cars and pedestrians - to just get out of their way. A little self-awareness would go along way. For example, do you really need to bike during rush hour? When you're holding up rush hour traffic because you're biking when everyone is trying to get to work is no way to win friends and influence people. A little common sense would help the rest of us have more sympathy for the community. For every cyclist upset about coal rolling there are 1,000 people who have been almost run over by one while jogging or crossing the street.