WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

Cyclists who ride downtown are bicyclists and commuters.   IMO they should use lanes and obey every traffic law to a T even though it won't change motorists behavior one bit.   I also think anyone commuting or riding in a high traffic area should be required to have some type of tail light. 

If you are person on a bike and you ride with the expectation that motorists should or are responsible for not killing you when you do something stupid.   Well play dumb games win dumb prizes.

If I'm out on a country road and there are ZERO cars there is no reason to dead stop a light or stop sign.  If I roll one I'm not going to hurt anyone at 5 mph and I'll take my chances with a ticket.

Purposely injuring or killing anyone simply because you have an insecurity about bikes is psychotic

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

how in the ever loving fuck could the police on the scene not have taken this little dipshit into custody...if for nothing else, reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon?  what could possibly have been the fucking excuse for not arresting this kid with all the witness statements available?  is this kid's dad the d.a. or something?

5 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

A 16 year old in a fucking diesel super duty. Get the fuck out of here. 

1 minute ago, sidis said:

how in the ever loving fuck could the police on the scene not have taken this little dipshit into custody...if for nothing else, reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon?  what could possibly have been the fucking excuse for not arresting this kid with all the witness statements available?  is this kid's dad the d.a. or something?

When I saw he wasn't arrested, I assumed that his daddy, who let him drive that truck, knows somebody.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, idigTexas said:

This sort of thing happens way too often.  Queue the shaggy anti-cycling mafia in 3-2-1...

You called? Follow the fucking laws and I wouldn't hate bike fags so much. You think I want to scrape a human off my bumper because they FAFO?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Follow the fucking laws and I wouldn't hate bike fags so much

Great.  Another fucking hypocrite.  Probably drives a 250 diesel and is a closet homosexual.   Did mommy and daddy not let you come out?  

Edited by midtown

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

Great.  Another fucking hypocrite.  Probably drives a 250 diesel and is a closet homosexual.   Did mommy and daddy not let you come out?  

Hypocrite? Expound on this.

Nobody deserves to die anywhere, but the absolute idiocy of you cyclists is well known and absolute. Stop being a dumbass. Your people are fucking reckless.

Can I be gay and hate bikefags? Sign me the fuck up.

22 minutes ago, midtown said:

Cyclists who ride downtown are bicyclists and commuters.   IMO they should use lanes and obey every traffic law to a T even though it won't change motorists behavior one bit.   I also think anyone commuting or riding in a high traffic area should be required to have some type of tail light. 

If you are person on a bike and you ride with the expectation that motorists should or are responsible for not killing you when you do something stupid.   Well play dumb games win dumb prizes.

If I'm out on a country road and there are ZERO cars there is no reason to dead stop a light or stop sign.  If I roll one I'm not going to hurt anyone at 5 mph and I'll take my chances with a ticket.

Purposely injuring or killing anyone simply because you have an insecurity about bikes is psychotic

I don't disagree with any of this.  But you seem to get the difference -- I don't care if you roll through the stop sign in our lightly-traveled neighborhood, with everyone going at relatively low speeds.  I care a lot when you do it in a dense environment (downtown, West Campus, etc. -- two places I have seen bikes PLOW into cars as the bike blows through a stop sign).

And even there, everyone should do all they can to avoid hurting someone else.  They sure as shit shouldn't be allowed to hurt someone else intentionally, no matter how back a dick the other person may be.

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

When I saw he wasn't arrested, I assumed that his daddy, who let him drive that truck, knows somebody.

This.  Give it time, this story is going to end up stinking even worse.  Odds are quite high that he's related to someone connected to law enforcement.

Imagine the same thing happened, but the vehicle was being driven by a black dude and had tricked out chrome wheels.  That dude would be UNDER the Waller County jail within an hour.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

1234.  Honestly, I can't think of two groups of people that are more obnoxious than the people who "roll coal" and cyclists.

The "roll coal" crowd all have tiny dicks, and the cyclists dress like they want you to see their dicks.

It's definitely a dick thing with those groups in my non-research-doing opinion.

Although I do find it funnier when I see short/young dudes climbing into big trucks that will rarely see the back filled with anything other than their wive's IKEA shit.  It's like they are trying to emphasize how small they are.  We can't be too far away from pickups that have a door handle at the bottom of the door, and a ladder that automatically extends down when you open the door.

Agreed on the coal rollers, but then you have the cyclists who ride 2-3 wide going 20 in a 45.

I'll never understand the mentality of someone who wants to ride on a road with cars flying past.  I love mountain biking on trails but don't even like riding to the trailheads.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Agreed on the coal rollers, but then you have the cyclists who ride 2-3 wide going 20 in a 45.

In Texas I believe riding double is allowed by law unless specifically stated otherwise so pointing that out as a reason to be mad at cyclist is no different than getting mad at anyone who is operating a vehicle within the laws.   Oh look someone's grandma is doing 20 in a 35.  Hmm.  I'm going  to just run her ass over and kill her because she's 100% in line with the law.   You may not agree with the vehicle law in Texas (because 100% of motorists don't) but you should respect and obey them as long as you have a license.   When you get a license you are attesting to following said laws which most hypocritical motorists don't.   In many states riding abreast is outright illegal. 

Having said that riding double anywhere but a shoulder is just asking for it.   When we do it we are quick to go single when a car is back.  

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

In Texas I believe riding double is allowed by law unless specifically stated otherwise so pointing that out as a reason to be mad at cyclist is no different than getting mad at anyone who is operating a vehicle within the laws.   Oh look someone's grandma is doing 20 in a 35.  Hmm.  I'm going  to just run her ass over and kill her because she's 100% in line with the law.   You may not agree with the vehicle law in Texas (because 100% of motorists don't) but you should respect and obey them as long as you have a license.   When you get a license you are attesting to following said laws which most hypocritical motorists don't.   In many states riding abreast is outright illegal. 

Having said that riding double anywhere but a shoulder is just asking for it.   When we do it we are quick to go single when a car is back.  

Just because the law says you can do it doesn't mean you should do it.  That's just as big of a dick move as driving 20 in a 45.  Neither is illegal.  Both are highly frowned upon, as they should be.  

When biking or driving, 'don't be an asshole' should be your guiding philosophy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I assume your domicile is true to your username and you live in Texas.  If so, what you're seeing downtown isn't a cyclist.  That's just a Mexican person on their commute home.  (Or, in New York, a document/food courier).

Tell me you don't work in downtown Austin without telling me you don't work in downtown Austin.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Just because the law says you can do it doesn't mean you should do it.

I acquiesced that point.  I don't think its smart but it's still legal and therefore shouldn't draw the ire of motorists when someone is legally operating a vehicle.   I am irritated by busses, slow moving grandmas, and tons of other people on a daily basis that follow the rules and most that don't.  Doesn't make me want to run them over and possible kill someone. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Just because the law says you can do it doesn't mean you should do it.  That's just as big of a dick move as driving 20 in a 45.  Neither is illegal.  Both are highly frowned upon, as they should be.  

When biking or driving, 'don't be an asshole' should be your guiding philosophy.

The don't be an asshole falls 100% on the person who doesn't fell like someone operating a vehicle within the law should be allowed.

Bikes flaunting laws are also definitely also assholes.  

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

I acquiesced that point.  I don't think its smart but it's still legal and therefore shouldn't draw the ire of motorists when someone is legally operating a vehicle.   I am irritated by busses, slow moving grandmas, and tons of other people on a daily basis that follow the rules and most that don't.  Doesn't make me want to run them over and possible kill someone. 

I haven't seen anyone defend the kid's actions in this thread.  

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'll never understand the mentality of someone who wants to ride on a road with cars flying past.  I love mountain biking on trails but don't even like riding to the trailheads.

Same here, love mountain/offroad biking.  Get skittish as fuck on the road though, because I'm fairly certain most motorists want to kill cyclists.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I haven't seen anyone defend the kid's actions in this thread.  

Truth but in the past we've had plenty of "good, glad those guys got what was coming to them" kind of comments.  And you have plenty of people on here adding their hate for people following the law. 

Edited by midtown

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Same here, love mountain/offroad biking.  Get skittish as fuck on the road though, because I'm fairly certain most motorists want to kill cyclists.

Yeah, road riding alternately bores me and scares the shit out of me.  

I recently acquired a single-speed/fixie road bike.  Because it has no gears, I can ride the 'hood and stay off most major streets, crossing one or two at a light, and still get a workout out of it in an hour or so.  You just can't do all of that on a decent road bike:  you have to go some combination of farther or faster, or stay in really high gears, which kind of defeats the purpose of that carbon Ultegra job roadies all seem to want.

When I ride the hood, I do slow-roll stop signs because it's a beating to stop and mash back up, but I am not going blazing fast, either. I also have this technique where I turn and go behind the car at a stop sign.  I always stop at lights.  

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It, at a minimum, creates a very unsafe situation on highly traveled roads.

It's only unsafe isf motorists and cyclists refuse to equally accept the laws.   Both are equally guilty but it seems to me motorists always want to blame the cyclists without having to answer for their own jackassery.

• Like 1

Just now, midtown said:

It's only unsafe isf motorists and cyclists refuse to equally accept the laws.   Both are equally guilty but it seems to me motorists always want to blame the cyclists without having to answer for their own jackassery.

It’s unsafe because of the speed differential.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Lots of talk of cyclists, not enough of good ol' country white boys in Waller. They should be nuked too. Fuck that town. 

A 16 year old in a fucking diesel super duty. Get the fuck out of here. They gotta protect him because he'll be a cop in a few years. He's already shown the requisite hate. 

The 6.7 power stroke super duty is an all time great engine and truck. It’s unfortunate that they are somewhat ruined by the dudes who use them as daily drivers and don’t even know how to hook up a trailer.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

Exactly.  The unsafe situation is created by the cyclists going much slower than the speed limit.

I get breakfast tacos every Saturday morning.  My route to my favorite place includes a road that is very popular among cyclists.  40 mph speed limit.  I have no problem with them being on the road at that time, but if you get a little distracted, you are on top of them pretty quickly.

There are no minimum speeds. What you are really saying is: that person operating legally at a lower speed is inconveniencing me and I don't want to be inconvenienced by following the law and yielding to someone legally operating a vehicle.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, midtown said:
12 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

There are no minimum speeds. What you are really saying is: that person operating legally at a lower speed is inconveniencing me and I don't want to be inconvenienced by following the law and yielding to someone legally operating a vehicle.

So the 'don't be an asshole' rule is really just for cars?  And you wonder why we hate road bikers?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

This is a surly chefs kiss of a thread that y'all are more focused on hating on cyclists than a 16yo douchecanoe driving his daddy's brodozer assaulting and hospitalizing a half a dozen people while rolling coal. 

I guess none of y'all read the article, he rolled coal on one group on cyclists and then went on to the next and smashed them with his truck. 

But yeah, damn those cyclists, or something. 

I’m pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the dipshit teen should go to prison

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

So the 'don't be an asshole' rule is really just for cars?  And you wonder why we hate road bikers?
This is the world we live in. Everyone is just selfish and no motorist thinks the laws of the road apply to them when it inconveniences them. Who is the asshole here? The cyclist is obeying the law or the motorist that is irritated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

12 minutes ago, midtown said:

I’m saying that coming around a corner to find cyclists in front of me going 25mph slower and being “quick to go to single” while I’m slamming on my brakes raises my risk of accidentally killing someone way higher than I’m comfortable with, and the “I’m not breaking the law so I don’t see why you’re bothered” response seems to be willfully missing the point. 

Also that kid should be in cuffs. 

Edited by EdTomBell
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, midtown said:
12 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

This is the world we live in. Everyone is just selfish and no motorist thinks the laws of the road apply to them when it inconveniences them. Who is the asshole here? The cyclist is obeying the law or the motorist that is irritated

The asshole is the cyclist riding slow on a fast moving road.  The driver joins him if he does something unsafe, but the cyclist knowingly creates the unsafe situation and should not be surprised if something happens.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, midtown said:
27 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Cecily Strong Season 44 GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 minutes ago, midtown said:
7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

This attitude from cyclists is why everyone hates them.   Cyclists following the rule of law along with observing basic human decency don't really piss people off, because they become nearly invisible when they do this.  Cyclists breaking the law and/or choosing to ride on roads where no one can pass them all while sniffing their own farts makes them a ripe and fair target for complete derision.   

Pointing out that there are bad drivers doesn't mean shit.  Everyone hates bad drivers too.  Trying to claim that cyclists all follow the law while auto drivers are the enemy is patently ridiculous.  Most cyclists ride like dickheads, just like most automobile drivers drive like dickheads.  The only difference is one of these two will come out ahead when someone makes a mistake.  Common sense dictates that cyclists should watch the fuck out, but plenty of them ride as if they own the road.  It's psycho behavior.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What weighs more, 165 pounds of human or 165 pounds of bicycle?

San antonio 165 or austin 165? 

2-wide riding is the best setup for cyclists and motorists. It halves the length of the pack so its a shorter and quicker overtake. It discourages narrow-passing which is dangerous to both parties. Its a win-win. 

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, midtown said:
40 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Damn skippy.

This attitude from cyclists is why everyone hates them.   Cyclists following the rule of law along with observing basic human decency don't really piss people off, because they become nearly invisible when they do this.  Cyclists breaking the law and/or choosing to ride on roads where no one can pass them all while sniffing their own farts makes them a ripe and fair target for complete derision.   
Pointing out that there are bad drivers doesn't mean shit.  Everyone hates bad drivers too.  Trying to claim that cyclists all follow the law while auto drivers are the enemy is patently ridiculous.  Most cyclists ride like dickheads, just like most automobile drivers drive like dickheads.  The only difference is one of these two will come out ahead when someone makes a mistake.  Common sense dictates that cyclists should watch the fuck out, but plenty of them ride as if they own the road.  It's psycho behavior.
I repd you because your take is pretty good but I take issue with the idea that motorists should have any reason to dislike cyclists who obey the law. It's still extremely prevalent that bikes should not be on roads at all and they belong 100% to cars.

I ride a road with two full lanes. I take the middle of the slow lane so I am seen and I have a tail light. A car could easily expend zero energy by moving over. I always get buzzed because I'm even on the road. Thats the typical attitude. Why buzz a father of two operating legally and in no way causing any inconvenience to you.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

I repd you because your take is pretty good but I take issue with the idea that motorists should have any reason to dislike cyclists who obey the law. It's still extremely prevalent that bikes should not be on roads at all and they belong 100% to cars.

I ride a road with two full lanes. I take the middle of the slow lane so I am seen and I have a tail light. A car could easily expend zero energy by moving over. I always get buzzed because I'm even on the road. Thats the typical attitude. Why buzz a father of two operating legally and in no way causing any inconvenience to you.

What is the speed limit of this road and how fast are you going typically?