WTF is wrong with people? 16-yo kid outside Houston tries to "roll coal" on cyclists, runs them over instead; walks free

C-Man

San antonio 165 or austin 165? 

2-wide riding is the best setup for cyclists and motorists. It halves the length of the pack so its a shorter and quicker overtake. It discourages narrow-passing which is dangerous to both parties. Its a win-win. 

And an even better idea is if there were no bikes on roads where the speed limit is more than 20 mph.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Agreed on the coal rollers, but then you have the cyclists who ride 2-3 wide going 20 in a 45.

I'll never understand the mentality of someone who wants to ride on a road with cars flying past.  I love mountain biking on trails but don't even like riding to the trailheads.

This.  Where I’m at they’re ignoring beautiful 10 ft wide, largely unused hike and bike trails which I might understand if they looked like they could manage any speed at all to avoid pedestrian traffic. Instead its always a group of 10-20 wannabes decked out like they’re in the Tour de France, with guts that look like they ate Lance Armstrong.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I acquiesced that point.  I don't think its smart but it's still legal and therefore shouldn't draw the ire of motorists when someone is legally operating a vehicle.   I am irritated by busses, slow moving grandmas, and tons of other people on a daily basis that follow the rules and most that don't.  Doesn't make me want to run them over and possible kill someone. 

*buses

And bussing.

14 minutes ago, midtown said:

This issue with this kid is trending on Twitter. I think we can all agree this shit needs jail time

I for one, disagree that he needs "jail time."  While what he did was an all-time asshole move, it's also pretty consistent with the kind of shit 16 year olds pull, although with graver consequences. Which is why we have a juvenile justice system in Texas.

I think and hope that he is turned over to the juvenile authorities and given a pretty stiff sentence for aggravated assault and whatever other crimes he can be "charged" with in the juvenile system.

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I for one, disagree that he needs "jail time."  While what he did was an all-time asshole move, it's also pretty consistent with the kind of shit 16 year olds pull, although with graver consequences. Which is why we have a juvenile justice system in Texas.

I think and hope that he is turned over to the juvenile authorities and given a pretty stiff sentence for aggravated assault and whatever other crimes he can be "charged" with in the juvenile system.

There is juvenile jail. Probably would do the little shit stain some good to see a less privileged life, considering he enjoys hospitalizing people with his big shiny toys his parents let him play with. 

It doesn't matter. But for sake of the discussion.

It's probably 40 and since it's a Cat 4 climb Im doing 10.
It doesn't matter? Holy shit, you're going 30 mph under the speed limit. Did it ever occur to you that the people you claim are buzzing you just didn't see you until the last minute?

You're going to get yourself killed. But hey, you'll technically be right. So you'll have that going for you.
  • Hook 'Em 5

There’s two layers of shitbaggery here: 1) a shitty 16 year old driving a $60k truck who clearly feels entitled to act like a deliberately dangerous cruel asshole, and 2)…a family, and it seems entire community, that lets him get away with it and protects him.

I’ll suggest that item 2) is the MUCH bigger problem. Because as long as it remains a problem, you’ll never fix problem 1.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Had a conversation with a rancher out near Tarpley. He worries about cyclists, as they share the road with he and his trailers, and blind curves are a common feature of the Hill Country’s farm to market roads. He said if he ever were in a position where he was forced to choose between his equipment, and livestock, and the life of a cyclist, he already knew what he would do.

Seen some close calls with cyclists over years on a number of FM roads in the hill country. I may have ranted a couple of times on ToS about cyclists enjoying the hill country views early in the morning while holding up a guy on a tractor while I sat behind him towing horses. It's infuriating.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, road riding alternately bores me and scares the shit out of me.  
I recently acquired a single-speed/fixie road bike.  Because it has no gears, I can ride the 'hood and stay off most major streets, crossing one or two at a light, and still get a workout out of it in an hour or so.  You just can't do all of that on a decent road bike:  you have to go some combination of farther or faster, or stay in really high gears, which kind of defeats the purpose of that carbon Ultegra job roadies all seem to want.
When I ride the hood, I do slow-roll stop signs because it's a beating to stop and mash back up, but I am not going blazing fast, either. I also have this technique where I turn and go behind the car at a stop sign.  I always stop at lights.  

I ride my old bike in the neighborhood and on the bike paths in Houston. If we decide to ride to the park we ride on the neighborhood roads, but when we cross at a light, we switch to the crosswalks.

I am a simple man, I always defer to whatever is faster/heavier when I walk or pedal putz around.
  • Like 1

I recently started riding on the road since I am doing an Ironman and I am a nervous wreck the whole time about being ran over. I also ride with someone and we do it on country roads early Saturday mornings but I still cannot relax. We only had to deal with 1 impatient person so far and I think it helps we ride on a 30 mile loop where people expect cyclists. I am doing my best not to be a cycle douche. 

• Like 2

As someone who rode bikes as a primary form of transportation, not being aware of the vehicles around you and taking liberties with the rules of the road is the equivalent of playing tug of war with a bone that belongs to some pitbull you've never met before. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s two layers of shitbaggery here: 1) a shitty 16 year old driving a $60k truck who clearly feels entitled to act like a deliberately dangerous cruel asshole, and 2)…a family, and it seems entire community, that lets him get away with it and protects him.

I’ll suggest that item 2) is the MUCH bigger problem. Because as long as it remains a problem, you’ll never fix problem 1.

Can't disagree with that.  I'm not sure what the protocol for arresting juveniles is, whether it tends to be immediate or later on.  Pretty sure you don't want to stick juvies in county jail.  Maybe they have juvenile holding facilities, not sure.

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Is it okay to say that cars should be able to plow through people riding recumbent bikes?

There is a crazy old guy that cruises down the road daily on an recumbent bike every day around 6 AM. Crazy bastard even does it after the time change when it's still completely dark outside. He has a little flashing light to make him stand out in the dark. This is on a desolate winding road surrounded by brush. It leads up to the high school and there are usually a few football players hauling ass up the road at that time trying to avoid being late for morning practice. 

Edited by F250

It doesn't matter? Holy shit, you're going 30 mph under the speed limit. Did it ever occur to you that the people you claim are buzzing you just didn't see you until the last minute?

You're going to get yourself killed. But hey, you'll technically be right. So you'll have that going for you.

If you are going too fast where you cannot see a vehicle stopped, a bike, or a kid on the sidewalk you should slow down and put your phone in the trunk. Goddamn y’all are some shit drivers.

6 minutes ago, midtown said:
22 minutes ago, F250 said:
Exactly. Particularly on winding Hill country roads surrounded by brush and full of major dips.

So you guys who've been dealing with country roads and the random county road stuff like wild stock and tractors can't handle cyclist?

Define handle.

toronto-cyclist-hit-highway-405.jpg

3 minutes ago, midtown said:
19 minutes ago, F250 said:
Exactly. Particularly on winding Hill country roads surrounded by brush and full of major dips.

So you guys who've been dealing with country roads and the random county road stuff like wild stock and tractors can't handle cyclist?

I've killed a deer or two with my truck on these roads.  My truck can handle the deer and cyclists but I would prefer not to smash into either one.

• Like 1

If you are going too fast where you cannot see a vehicle stopped, a bike, or a kid on the sidewalk you should slow down and put your phone in the trunk. Goddamn y’all are some shit drivers.
I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about your average driver. And remember half of them are worse than average.

Anyone walking on the side of a road or riding a bike on said road is automatically entered in the Darwin awards program… fast tracked actually.

I’ve seen 3 bikes, and their riders  hit in the course of a single day on the outer banks of NC.

You’re all friggin idiots, wish a death wish.

cars headlights are like a dolls eye….. lifeless, Dead,  I’ll never wear a life vest again …. Or something like that 

Can't disagree with that.  I'm not sure what the protocol for arresting juveniles is, whether it tends to be immediate or later on.  Pretty sure you don't want to stick juvies in county jail.  Maybe they have juvenile holding facilities, not sure.
Yes, being a juvie is what let him walk that day. He was either going to be released at the scene to his parents or down at the station. You can't hold a Julie for long without things being an immediate felony and they can't question him without parental consent and witness.
Charges will come out of the DA office based on him being a juvie within the week.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I ride my old bike in the neighborhood and on the bike paths in Houston. If we decide to ride to the park we ride on the neighborhood roads, but when we cross at a light, we switch to the crosswalks.

I am a simple man, I always defer to whatever is faster/heavier when I walk or pedal putz around.

What about muh bike freedoms??

I recently started riding on the road since I am doing an Ironman and I am a nervous wreck the whole time about being ran over. I also ride with someone and we do it on country roads early Saturday mornings but I still cannot relax. We only had to deal with 1 impatient person so far and I think it helps we ride on a 30 mile loop where people expect cyclists. I am doing my best not to be a cycle douche. 

Doing your best other than riding on country roads you mean.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

OOOOOOOOH that's a bingo !!!!

Unknown.jpeg

Wouldn't this be more like Pet Cemetery?

Anyway, I like riding bikes. It's good exercise. I switched to mainly riding a mountain bike, because it is easier on the back and easier to ride in poorly maintained bike paths.

• Hook 'Em 1