Texas BBQ

Washpark

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One interesting thing about BBQ is that, unlike chili, there is no case to be made that it is a "Texas" thing.  It's not even an "American" thing.

Beyond that, all other regional styles of American BBQ (Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City) incorporate sauce.  You'll even find sauce in East and South Texas.

The sauce argument is stupid.

what the fuck are you talking about

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

One interesting thing about BBQ is that, unlike chili, there is no case to be made that it is a "Texas" thing.  It's not even an "American" thing.

Beyond that, all other regional styles of American BBQ (Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City) incorporate sauce.  You'll even find sauce in East and South Texas.

The sauce argument is stupid.

It really is. I used to be a big "if it has sauce it isn't good bbq" guy. Then I traveled and had some pretty damn good bbq in Kansas City and Memphis and realized how cringey that whole train of thought is.

7 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

It really is. I used to be a big "if it has sauce it isn't good bbq" guy. Then I traveled and had some pretty damn good bbq in Kansas City and Memphis and realized how cringey that whole train of thought is.

I grew up between KC and Memphis, a little closer to KC.  That was the BBQ we ate.  Very sweet.  It was all we knew.  Getting out and traveling to other regions was eye-opening.  I still don't like that eastern Carolina vinegar sauce, but other than that . . .

There's a difference between saying "good brisket doesn't need sauce" and saying "any BBQ with sauce on it is bad."

Regardless, I don't give a shit how anyone eats their BBQ.  When I make brisket (or any other BBQ) I always make sauce available on the side.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

There's a difference between saying "good brisket doesn't need sauce" and saying "any BBQ with sauce on it is bad."

Regardless, I don't give a shit how anyone eats their BBQ.  When I make brisket (or any other BBQ) I always make sauce available on the side.

Pretty much this....brisket is a texas thing so the saying makes sense....but with regards to pork and chicken do whatever you like. I love saucy ribs and I love dry rub ribs. 

23 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Y'all mind if I interrupt this slap fight over fucking sauce for some BBQ news?

We're popping up Sunday at Lil' Danny Speedo's Go Fly a Kite Lounge, less than a mile from our future home. Grave City will be spinning vinyl, booze will be flowing and games will be on the tvs. Come hang and enjoy the day. 

Lil' Danny Speedo's Go Fly a Kite Lounge 
823 Dumble St 
2pm till sold out.

@UTPhil2006 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You had me until the bolded. gtfo. pineapple does not belong on pizza.

Pineapple with pepperoni is pretty good. I think that bullshit Canadian bacon sullied my early liaisons with it. 

Truth bbq, 2:20 line. It was very busy …IMG_8316.thumb.jpeg.1147521de3db258b1d3c1845846a2e9c.jpegIMG_8318.thumb.jpeg.078d3c1610fa28f7a5764c32a57dd73c.jpeg

bbq was good, but wasn’t as good as my past two visits to pinkerton’s

pinkerton’s burnt ends melted in my mouth, truth not so much. Brisket and Ribs were both better at pinkerton’s my last two stops 

• Like 2

Y’all love to make this thread an abortion just like this photo of Helberg’s bbq is an abortion. The difference is, it tasted phenomenal, unlike this shit sandwich for the last page.

6bbff3ed30a980455c732e3fb511dcfc.jpg

Bonus points for the gal taking our order telling me they don’t support Baylor despite their proximity to that Baptist shithole.

They might not support Baylor but they’re pretty churchy. Loved the food but there was Christian music and a vibe I couldn’t put my finger on. That fucking smoked chicken was tits though.
  • Like 1

SIAP but I scrolled back a few days and didn’t see anything. John Brotherton is in a dire health situation. I don’t know too much but what I’ve heard second-hand doesn’t sound good at all. John’s a fantastic dude and I hope he pulls through.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, C-Man said:

SIAP but I scrolled back a few days and didn’t see anything. John Brotherton is in a dire health situation. I don’t know too much but what I’ve heard second-hand doesn’t sound good at all. John’s a fantastic dude and I hope he pulls through.

per willow bbq :

We have a pop-up today.
Info below. But this post is about a dear friend of ours. John Brotherton, @briskit_wispuhrer right now needs y'alls prayers, P.M.A., Hare Krishna chant, whatever it is that you do. He's in I.C.U. right now and could use the positive energy of the universe to pull though. This dude has been there for me, for us, for his community and the bbq community as a whole. Please get well soon, you're seriously the wrong one to fuck with. We love you John.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
47 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:
Line for wilow bbq is at least 50 deep, maybe 60
in case anyone was thinking of coming over 

Good for him.

IMG_8365.jpeg

IMG_8366.jpeg

Line hasn't let up, wrapped around the building behind me 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 9:15 PM, C-Man said:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.49.29.jpeg

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 11.49.29.jpeg

Thanks. Haven't gotten any updates to what I heard the other night but it sounds like it's going to be a long, tough recovery if John pulls through. Russell Roegels set up a Go Fund Me if you're so inclined: https://www.gofundme.com/f/john-and-brenda-brotherton-need-your-help?utm_campaign=m_pd+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

On 12/31/2023 at 7:40 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all love to make this thread an abortion just like this photo of Helberg’s bbq is an abortion. The difference is, it tasted phenomenal, unlike this shit sandwich for the last page.

6bbff3ed30a980455c732e3fb511dcfc.jpg

Bonus points for the gal taking our order telling me they don’t support Baylor despite their proximity to that Baptist shithole.

Hate to break it to ya, but they are a sponsor both inside McLane and Foster Pavilion.  

Went to Panther City BBQ on Thursday last week. Last time I was there it was just a trailer; now they have a full blown restaurant and it was the best BBQ I've had in quite a while.  Brisket was solid, pork belly popper was outstanding and the jalapeno cheddar sausage may be the best I have ever had.  I won't give them any points for plating as the dude had it all over on one side of the tray but you can easily see why they are in the Top Ten when you eat there.  

IMG_0281.JPEG

IMG_0282.JPEG

IMG_0283.JPEG

IMG_0284.JPEG

Edited by DallasSooner
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Went down the street to Brix (my first trip) they just opened a new building about a 1/3 of the mile south of Panther City. Not sure how I would feel about that personally but I guess you build where you can.  Anyway; we ordered a few different items.  I wasn't blown away by anything on the plate but the beef belly burnt ends were my favorite thing we had.  I really wanted to love the Porkchetta thing they make but it fell flat in my opinion; not sure what I was expecting I really think it needs it's own special sauce. Everything was just fine, but not special.  Guy who took our order didn't seem too interested in us; that's not usually a good sign. 

IMG_0288.JPEG

IMG_0289.JPEG

IMG_0290.JPEG

IMG_0292.JPEG

IMG_0293.JPEG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Stopped by Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue for lunch today. It was busier than I've seen in before - local press is covering the story, so there are probably more customers for that reason. Had a nice two meat plate and grabbed a pound of pork ribs and a pound of jerk chicken thighs to go.

e201bbc0331f778c1e4a91978c2b3eaf.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by Brotherton's Black Iron Barbecue for lunch today. It was busier than I've seen in before - local press is covering the story, so there are probably more customers for that reason. Had a nice two meat plate and grabbed a pound of pork ribs and a pound of jerk chicken thighs to go.

e201bbc0331f778c1e4a91978c2b3eaf.jpg

Got here just now and got a 2 meat plate also.  I live close and this is as crowded as I’ve seen it in awhile.   Bbq community is pretty tight knit.  

I’ve spoken with John numerous times.  He’s a down to earth nice guy.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He's in ICU in a medically induced coma.  I'm nobody's medical pro so I don't know what might be a root cause to result in that action, but that doesn't sound very positive to me.  Hoping for the best for him and his family.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/pflugerville/gofundme-launched-for-pflugerville-bbq-restaurant-owner/

Edited by utee94

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

He's in ICU in a medically induced coma.  I'm nobody's medical pro so I don't know what might be a root cause to result in that action, but that doesn't sound very positive to me.  Hoping for the best for him and his family.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/pflugerville/gofundme-launched-for-pflugerville-bbq-restaurant-owner/

Yeah, he's been in the coma since going to the hospital last week. They've brought him out of it a couple of times but he was having seizures so they were forced to put him back in the coma. I think some very, very hard decisions are possibly being made by his family in the very near future. I don't think this is going to have a good outcome, which sucks because John is revered by EVERYBODY in the Texas BBQ scene.

• Like 4

Did he ever post here or on the other sites? I swear I remember the owner of Brotherton's coming on here. Or maybe it was just somebody associated with the restaurant.

Think it was somebody who cooked with John somewhere. I won’t mention him by name here — can’t remember his handle — but he’s the why who opened the restaurant in Galveston and then also was cooking Q in Houston after that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Think it was somebody who cooked with John somewhere. I won’t mention him by name here — can’t remember his handle — but he’s the why who opened the restaurant in Galveston and then also was cooking Q in Houston after that.

ChampKind.  He was the head pitmaster at Dozier's in Fulshear after his Galveston restaurant closed.  I heard that he just recently left Texas and moved to New Mexico.   

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Did he ever post here or on the other sites? I swear I remember the owner of Brotherton's coming on here. Or maybe it was just somebody associated with the restaurant.

In addition to ChampKind, I believe John Brotherton's former business partner in Liberty Barbecue might have posted here as well.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

ChampKind.  He was the head pitmaster at Dozier's in Fulshear after his Galveston restaurant closed.  I heard that he just recently left Texas and moved to New Mexico.   

Yeah, that was it. Pretty sure this is also accurate that he's moved to NM. I actually met Champ at our charity BBQ cookoff in Dallas last year. Since he is a "pro" he wasn't competing. He was cooking with @luke duke and serving samples to our attendees. Good guy.