Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I was last there probably a decade ago and it was inedible.

It's probably been 15 years since I've been there and inedible about sums it up, but I'd add overpriced as well.  Sounds like they've improved matters.

16 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Country Tavern, Kilgore-ish

Many people say these are the best ribs in the state. Id have to say they are the best BABY BACK ribs in the state. Prolly the best baby backs ive had. Their brisket was fine, despite the awful looking pic. Texas twinkies were incredible. Crazy how packed this place was. Def worth a stop for the glaze on the ribs

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9858.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fc082a3d423b0597a99ea0d71a889c5c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Many people say these are the best ribs in the state. Id have to say they are the best BABY BACK ribs in the state. Prolly the best baby backs ive had. Their brisket was fine, despite the awful looking pic. Texas twinkies were incredible. Crazy how packed this place was. Def worth a stop for the glaze on the ribs

IMG_9855.jpeg

IMG_9856.jpeg

IMG_9858.jpeg

is that a strip club with a bbq buffet ?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

IMG_9855.thumb.jpeg.eb654e9b80ed2acd2ecb53bee376c646.jpeg
IMG_9856.thumb.jpeg.ad346dfb413d5876a554736a696129d4.jpeg
IMG_9858.thumb.jpeg.53d74f44f13827d9f1044287fcde13dc.jpeg

Went there when I was in Longview covering a girls basketball tournament back around 2000 or so. It was pretty good at the time but Franklin’s bbq revival hadn’t begun yet.

And, yes, it turns into a roadhouse/bar/scrip club after dark, I think.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, BlackCat said:

Had the babybacks at Stanleys in Tyler last weekend. Best babybacks Ive ever had. Maybe best rib Ive ever had. Phenomenal. 

6 hours ago, BlackCat said:

Brisket and sausage were mediocre. Those ribs make me happy just thinking about them. 

people, STOP GOING TO STANLEYS AND NOT ORDERING THE MOTHERCLUCKER. YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE AND WILLINGLY NOT ORDERING THE BEST THING ON THE ENTIRE MENU.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

people, STOP GOING TO STANLEYS AND NOT ORDERING THE MOTHERCLUCKER. YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE AND WILLINGLY NOT ORDERING THE BEST THING ON THE ENTIRE MENU.

Yeah; I think we are in the day and age of "I'm ordering the Texas Trinity" needs to be reevaluated.  Mother Clucker at Stanleys is a must; tacos at Sunbird (that green sauce is so good), swap fries at Jefferson Riverport.  What's some other specialties you shouldn't miss out on? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

Yeah; I think we are in the day and age of "I'm ordering the Texas Trinity" needs to be reevaluated.  Mother Clucker at Stanleys is a must; tacos at Sunbird (that green sauce is so good), swap fries at Jefferson Riverport.  What's some other specialties you shouldn't miss out on? 

top of my head, then did a little poking around - and some of these are cheating lol basically going w/ anything that isn'tthe  trinity so that takes out some of the more interesting sausages out there.

• Leroy and Lewis: beef cheek, whole hog
  • Snows: pork steak
  • Reese Bros: carnitas torta + poblano mac (special shoutout to the queso fundito sausage)
  • Hutchins: Texas Twinkie
  • Burnt Bean: yes
  • Eaker BBQ: gochujang pork ribs + any of the korean sides. different glazed pork belly burnt ends
  • Helberg: smoked, then fried chicken (sunday only?)
  • Valentinas: Real Deal Holyfield - honestly any of the breakfast tacos
  • Sunbird: the different glazed pork belly burnt ends
  • CM Smokehouse: Crunchwrap
  • Mum Foods: pastrami
  • Opies: pork chop

other ones i haven't had but probably belong on a list like this

•  @Patricio Swayze (RIP) and others have recommended a number of things from Brisket and Rice.
  • heard very very good things about the lamb chops at Barbs.
  • know a guy who loves the fried chicken from slow bone, and loved it from Pecan Lodge.
  • Tejas Chocolate's carrot souffle belongs on here somewhere.
  • KG BBQ's brisket bowl?

any place that has good sausage, i'm assuming they would do an off menu mel man - chopped brisket + chopped sausage

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

god damn GIF

yessir

Gochujang ribs are the second-most-popular protein option after the brisket. The ribs are marinated overnight in a sauce developed by Boo’s brother, then smoked. When an order is placed, Boo takes individual ribs, coats them in more sauce, then browns the surface with a gas torch. (“I’m the torch lady,” she jokes.) They’re finished with a topper of green onions and toasted sesame seeds. The ribs are vibrant, tender, and far more compelling than the traditional pork ribs, which are seasoned too heavily with black pepper.

not my photos:

image.png.16888f68a36b9fd90841cbbbb164c315.png

image.thumb.png.708d2f677982458679c30c3963b3b588.png

image.png.9dd97efbe0e70056e0239ff02f917618.png

• Like 1
  • Drool 5

I’ve typed “Cadillac motherclucker” in this thread probably a half dozen times and I live hundreds of miles from Stanley’s. Next time I’m Tyler, it’ll be on my itinerary again.

But that master list of best dishes from each joint: can we get a running tally and pin it to the top of the thread?? A go to quick resource should we ever find ourselves in them parts?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Pork chop and (free) beans at Cooper’s in Llano.  Only 2 things on the menu worth eating.

Good News Yes GIF by Bounce

glad someone else knows. literally the only 2 things on the menu worth ordering these days (and has been that way for years)

30 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

I grew up going to Dozier's in the late 70s/early 80s.  So this hits hard.  I know they've enjoyed recent success, but with the departure of he who shall not be named last year, I'm assuming that success wasn't lucrative to the point it needed to be.    

On 3/19/2024 at 8:19 AM, NoName said:

I wanted to. I bet if I would've taken a gummy beforehand I would've made the call, but I was too curious about how they stacked up to the other spots I really like. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Pork chop and (free) beans at Cooper’s in Llano.  Only 2 things on the menu worth eating.

And that's being generous with the chop.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/21/2024 at 9:04 AM, TXSooner518 said:

looking at going to Cattleack tomorrow.  I see they open at 10. How early do I need to get there to be sure they have everything? If I arrive at 10, what's the wait? Arrive at 11, too late? Or if not, approx wait? Thanks!

It's been quite a while since I've been there.  I would say you will be okay as far as them running out of the staples.  If they have a special you might be in trouble.  I look forward to your report on them.  Been a long while. 

• Like 1

223a4cdd43de50d376116a3d9f48a3a2.jpg

Got a late start due to several factors and arrived at Cattleack about 1155. Line was about 20 people deep and took 15-20 minutes to clear so not bad at all. Got two trinity plates which are 1/3lb brisket, a pork rib, and a link for $23 each. Pretty solid deal in today terms. Three diff link options. We went with the Triple B (beef, bacon, beer) and hatch chile cheese.

Sausage I would describe as good/fine. Pork ribs were large with a peppery crust with a hint of maybe cayenne. Very good. Brisket was pretty excellent, a step behind the very top places.

Also added 1/4 lb of pastrami brisket. It was good and interesting. I wouldn’t replace a brisket order with it but could replace pastrami with it if that makes sense. Would like to try it as a sandwich like a Reuben.

Also got the burnt ends beans which were great esp with the excellent cornbread. Got hatch mac n cheese which was solid/good but not life changing.

Finally got the crack cake and Oreo Reese’s pie but those haven’t been eaten yet ha.

Overall a strong entry in the 2nd tier of places in the state imo.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1