Texas BBQ

Washpark

5 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Your list is missing the best bbq spot in Austin...LeRoy and Lewis.

What Evan LeRoy is doing with bbq is absolutely mind-blowing

I had not made it over there until just before Christmas — had preordered Barbacoa and pork tamales — awesome.  Also grabbed some brisket and pilled pork for that day, and had preordered a whole cryovac brisket.  Really great stuff

5 hours ago, ChampKind said:

You're right.  I haven't made it to LeRoy and Lewis yet, so I can't honestly recommend it - I've heard nothing but good reviews, though.      

23 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Last time I attended the Austin vs Houston BBQ Throwdown, I knew which which vendors I was most excited to try. But by the time i was leaving I had some business cards of places I hadn't heard of but blew me away, and LeRoy and Lewis was one of those cards. I think they were my favorite of the day.

Went duck hunting outside Columbus on Saturday.  On the way back to Austin, we stopped at Southside in Bastrop.  Moist brisket was good, but they also had beef ribs on Saturday.  These were the Flintstone brontosaurus ribs, and I have to say they were pretty damn amazing

37 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Went duck hunting outside Columbus on Saturday.  On the way back to Austin, we stopped at Southside in Bastrop.  Moist brisket was good, but they also had beef ribs on Saturday.  These were the Flintstone brontosaurus ribs, and I have to say they were pretty damn amazing

without pics it’s just another made-up story.

26 minutes ago, futureman said:

without pics it’s just another made-up story.

Sorry.  I haven’t set up any medium to use to post photos.  You’ll have to trust me (or not) on this.  I will urge you to stay away from Southside on Saturdays, so I can have more beef ribs.

Ribs were about 1 1/2 lbs each

Here are a couple of links, and this is pretty much what I had:

https://mobile.twitter.com/southsidebbq/status/911946933576589313

https://goo.gl/images/jueWzB

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I hit up the SS in Bastrop when we were working in Austin last summer several times.  Every time it was damned good.

28 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I hit up the SS in Bastrop when we were working in Austin last summer several times.  Every time it was damned good.

I read somewhere (I think TMBBQ)that the owner changed his brisket sourcing/selection a couple of years ago, with good results

I'm sure they are doing an after-action from their soft and applying fixes wherever they may be needed. An aside, but the day that Truth opened their doors in Houston was my best revenue day in nearly a year. Must have been that $25 beef plate rib special*. Or else people didn't care to stand in a long ass line.

*follow me on social media at @bucksbbqco to stay abreast of periodic specials

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:18 PM, AustinMT said:

Was it the best $128.29 lunch you ever had?

Speaking of... Whatever happpened to John Mueller? Is he still doing that black box thing or whatever it's called in Georgetown? Or did he rob the joint blind yet? 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Was it the best $128.29 lunch you ever had?

Speaking of... Whatever happened to John Mueller? Is he still doing that black box thing or whatever it's called in Georgetown? Or did he rob the joint blind yet? 

It was $141 (lunch for both of us, 1 rib each to take home and a pound of moist to take home.).  Wife saw that on the account and gave me the "WTF?"

That brisket from Blood Bros looks great. Good looking crust and moist.

It was exactly as you described it. Fat was like butter. I ate every bit of it.

I need to try this place.

We showed up at 11:00 today and there was no line. When we left at 11:45 the line was about 15 deep.

My only complaint is, if you are going to charge me $3 for Big Red, it sure as shot better be the real deal sugar one in a bottle.
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, deft said:

FWIW, I showed up at black box a week ago today right at 10:50. Nobody was there. Trailer was closed up. Pit was cold. Pretty big disappointment.

not shocking.  he’s not trying to win “most reliable” but he can cook some fuckin bbq when he wants to. 

3 hours ago, ChampKind said:

Health dept has been creating issues for him. Where there was no issue with cooking in a trailer before, there suddenly is. Thus the unexpected “not open”s. And a brick/mortar is in the works.

Shut up and take my money. Where do I invest? I’m looking to lose a lot of cash this month. 

Truth BBQ just opened on Washington in Htown, every bit as good as Brenham location. Make sure and get the home made pickle/onions burnt ends while waiting for your carve. The owner is usually carving upfront. Line starts at 10:45 on weekdays, usually sold out of trinity by 1

Peekaboo window whiws smokers and staff trimming briskets and making sausage

Killer turkey breast, if you are into that sort of thing.