Texas @ #20 Baylor---30 October, 11:00a-CDT (ABC)

Guest Lobo

50 minutes ago, hobbs said:

If we lose to motherf'in Baylor...

Baylor is a better football program than us. Baylor. 74-46 in the past decade compared to 69-51 for Texas. And that's with a 2-7 and 1-11 season thrown in for Baylor. Otherwise, it wouldn't be as close at is it.

But hey, we may not have trophies or championships or beat our biggest rival, but we have money. And Salt-N-Pepa. And new ugly endzone seating where nobody even sits. 

How anyone in the football department does not walk around permanently pissed off with a chip on their shoulder, I don't understand. 

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Baylor is a better football program than us. Baylor. 74-46 in the past decade compared to 69-51 for Texas. And that's with a 2-7 and 1-11 season thrown in for Baylor. Otherwise, it wouldn't be as close at is it.

But hey, we may not have trophies or championships or beat our biggest rival, but we have money. And Salt-N-Pepa. And new ugly endzone seating where nobody even sits. 

How anyone in the football department does not walk around permanently pissed off with a chip on their shoulder, I don't understand. 

Baylor plays absolute dog shit out of conference schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The fact that we are discussing tired-ass Baylor in any context other than rape or murder issues/coverups, blatant and pervasive hypocrisy, the horribleness of Waco, general suckage, etc. gives me the sad.

We're a f'in joke.

Edited by hobbs

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oh man, you're right. There's no way that we're actually anywhere near Baylor in football. It just seems like we're close because of their easy non-conference schedule.

In that case I just looked at their conference W/L during the past decade: 47-38

Texas?

Spoiler

48-37

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Oh man, you're right. There's no way that we're actually anywhere near Baylor in football. It just seems like we're close because of their easy non-conference schedule.

In that case I just looked at their conference W/L during the past decade: 47-38

Texas?

Hide contents

48-37

Look at the teams played dipshit. We'd have a lot more wins if we scheduled the same.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Look at the teams played dipshit. We'd have a lot more wins if we scheduled the same.

You literally quoted my post looking at conference records only. 

Baylor: 47-38
Texas: 48-37

Baylor is currently respecting the fundamentals of football. They don't have talent at every position. They cannot dominate decent teams. However, their OL is playing within itself, slowing the game down, controlling by design what they can control, and giving themselves a chance to compete in every game. If the opponent obliges with stupid tricks, the final score will be very lopsided. Minimizing mistakes and controlling the clock got Bill Snyder a statue.

The odds are that Baylor will lose staff to other programs quick enough that an enduring "culture" likely won't take root, but for the game approaching in 2 weeks, Texas will face a team that executes a very simple game plan very well. Texas will put more talent on the field. If that talent likewise executes very well for the entire game, Texas will land a decisive win.

I'll leave it to the individual reader to determine the chances of executing the game plan with minimal mistakes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

One of the areas where UT has fallen short in the last decade or more is in development of players and schemes.

We have more talent than almost anybody we play yet our record does not reflect that talent.

I think this staff now has enough real world looks at this team to see what should be improved.

And we now have the bye week to work on those things.

This should be a good opportunity to adjust some things and develop some kids.

If we come out of the bye with some things addressed then I think we can take some confidence in that and if we don't well . . .

Sad Arrested Development GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I have seen this year under Aranda is week to week improvement. No offense to speak of against OSU and WVU and BYU both saw a difference there. Same with penalties. I think we had 10 or 11 in one game recently and Baylor had ZERO called vs BYU, first time in program history. Things are being addressed and actually corrected. They value possessions. Bohannon threw his 1st INT against BYU, 1st in 190 attempts going back to last year.

Mistake free ball will win some games even with lesser talent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Baylor is currently respecting the fundamentals of football. They don't have talent at every position. They cannot dominate decent teams. However, their OL is playing within itself, slowing the game down, controlling by design what they can control, and giving themselves a chance to compete in every game. If the opponent obliges with stupid tricks, the final score will be very lopsided. Minimizing mistakes and controlling the clock got Bill Snyder a statue.

Kentucky is also very good at doing this as well.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just amazing and embarrassing. Neck and neck with Baylor. 

Now you know why we are subject to the "Texas is back???" mockery 

I have a feeling we are going to lose to Baylor and Sark will be under some serious pressure. 10 years of circling the drain and this year a bowl game isn't a guarantee 

Texas needs to get sick and tired of being sick and tired 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck Baylor! 

Agree with the comments about fundamentals. In most cases, It don’t matter a shit how superior your talent is if you have poor fundamentals and are mistake prone. Baylor should be a lot worse off than they currently are. 3 coaches in that time span. Aranda seems like he is on a lot of wish lists. Yet Baylor’s program hasn’t fallen off a cliff. I want it to. I hate Baylor. But they haven’t. Unlike some programs with far more money and talent. Off my soapbox. I can think of no reason to go to this game. Win or lose you are in Waco. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, txindep said:

Fenves: “15% of undergraduate women at UT Austin reported that they had been raped . . . . Furthermore, 28% of undergraduate women at UT Austin said they were the victims of unwanted sexual touching, and 12% experienced attempted rape.” Does 55% qualify as “rape-embracing culture?”
https://president.utexas.edu/messages-speeches-2017/results-of-sexual-assault-survey

I mean, that's not really how percentages in a survey work. You can't just add them. 55% of female undergrads didn't have one--and exactly one--of those things happen to them. I would assume that there's some overlap going on there. Carry on.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

One thing I have seen this year under Aranda is week to week improvement. No offense to speak of against OSU and WVU and BYU both saw a difference there. Same with penalties. I think we had 10 or 11 in one game recently and Baylor had ZERO called vs BYU, first time in program history. Things are being addressed and actually corrected. They value possessions. Bohannon threw his 1st INT against BYU, 1st in 190 attempts going back to last year.

Mistake free ball will win some games even with lesser talent.

More like mistake free head coach selection.

After wandering in the desert for 2 decades, Baylor's last three head coach hires have been solid.

And yeah, I know Briles was/is a piece of shit and he ended up blowing the whole thing up again, but after that they gave the the job nobody wanted to an eventual NFL head coach and now Aranda.

I think Sark will work out, but man what a road to get here , and here might not be where I think it is.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

More like mistake free head coach selection.  After wandering in the desert for 2 decades, Baylor's last three head coach hires have been solid.  And yeah, I know Briles was/is a piece of shit and he ended up blowing the whole thing up again, but after that they gave the the job nobody wanted to an eventual NFL head coach and now Aranda.

I think Sark will work out, but man what a road to get here , and here might not be where I think it is.

Jim Grobe took over that mess for one season at Bailor.  Rhule rebuilt the program in just 3 seasons thru great player evaluation and development.  

The difficulty for SARK has been increased this season by his own staff's inability to properly evaluate the current roster before the bullets started flying in games in September.  Not sure what PK is waiting for to make changes, but it better happen during this Bye Week because his side of the ball is PLAYING LIKE SHIT !!!  

Texas needs to fight through this shit and win at least 4 more B12 games this year.  

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Good grief, that is simply horrific to see in print.

I despise Baylor. The fact that, during the last decade, we have merely one more conference win than those sorry lame-ass bastards makes me want to break shit.

Yep.  Ebner's more of a dual threat RB that also catches the ball out of the backfield as well as returning punts/kicks.  Smith is the hammer.  

Abram Smith is the RB that broke all of Herschel Sims’ records at Abilene high. Herschel Sims is the RB that obliterated all of Kobe Lewis and Arturo “Sneezy” Beltran’s records. Kid is no slouch.

Fundamental tackling is going to be key and it’s also something our defense seems hellbent on not doing, so this could be a fun day….

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

One thing I have seen this year under Aranda is week to week improvement.

I'm not going to pretend I pay a lot of attention to Baylor or their roster or how they have managed it but damn near every starter on offense and defense is a 4/5 year college player.  That alone can certainly mitigate any "talent" advantage we may have.   We have back to back road games against extremely experienced and fundamentally sound teams.  We'll absolutely be lucky to get a split.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I'm not going to pretend I pay a lot of attention to Baylor or their roster or how they have managed it but damn near every starter on offense and defense is a 4/5 year college player.  That alone can certainly mitigate any "talent" advantage we may have.   We have back to back road games against extremely experienced and fundamentally sound teams.  We'll absolutely be lucky to get a split.

The defense is definitely senior heavy, the offense I'm not so sure about but what with players having an extra Covid year I'm pretty sure some stuck around to play some more ball. It's the same guys more or less who went 2-7 last year in a season where they for the most part never even met the coach until it was time to put the pads on and they had no spring ball. Mostly Rhule's players but I think the systems that Rhule was gravitating towards and what Jeff Grimes are doing on offense are similar enough that there's a comfort level there. Last year with Fedora was just a fustercluck. Defense changed up from 4-3 to 3-4 and we're playing almost entirely man coverage so it's a stop the run game plan and take the chances on the big play. Seems like the big play isn't so much a thing as it was just a few years ago so for now the approach seems to be working. 

24 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

The defense is definitely senior heavy, the offense I'm not so sure about but what with players having an extra Covid year I'm pretty sure some stuck around to play some more ball. It's the same guys more or less who went 2-7 last year in a season where they for the most part never even met the coach until it was time to put the pads on and they had no spring ball. Mostly Rhule's players but I think the systems that Rhule was gravitating towards and what Jeff Grimes are doing on offense are similar enough that there's a comfort level there. Last year with Fedora was just a fustercluck. Defense changed up from 4-3 to 3-4 and we're playing almost entirely man coverage so it's a stop the run game plan and take the chances on the big play. Seems like the big play isn't so much a thing as it was just a few years ago so for now the approach seems to be working. 

Yeah Fedora was a huge fail.  The new OC and OL coaches that were added this year (both from BYU) was a good decision by Aranda.   

25 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Fedora was a huge fail.  The new OC and OL coaches that were added this year (both from BYU) was a good decision by Aranda.   

I wonder if Sarkisian will have the same desire to make the necessary changes when it's obvious one of his main hiring decisions looks to be a mistake.

I credit Aranda for making the change, it's ok to admit you made a mistake, and you correct it as soon as possible.

Imagine how pissed we're all going to be when we compare final recruiting rankings with Baylor over the past 4 years... For shits and giggles.

Texas 

2018 #3

2019 #3

2020 #8

2021 #15

Baylor

2018 #29

2019 #35

2020 #50

2021 #40

Good times!

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Rage+1 2

On 10/18/2021 at 1:46 PM, DigglerontheHoof said:

Our level of performance doesn't warrant anything other than 11am.  We're....not good. 

Actually its because we are losing in an entertaining way (to non-UT fans) that we keep getting on Fox and ABC at noon instead of FS1 and ESPN.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

I wonder if Sarkisian will have the same desire to make the necessary changes when it's obvious one of his main hiring decisions looks to be a mistake.

I credit Aranda for making the change, it's ok to admit you made a mistake, and you correct it as soon as possible.

I'm not so certain that Fedora was Aranda's guy. My gut is that his initial staff was cobbled together by committee so there was no pain or ego involved in letting the OC go. Grimes seems much more philosophically aligned with a defensive minded HC. 

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Right.  We are 3rd behind OU and OSU in conference record since the last realignment.  We aren't far behind OSU but we aren't far ahead of the pack either.

Just now, bullet said:

Actually its because we are losing in an entertaining way (to non-UT fans) that we keep getting on Fox and ABC at noon instead of FS1 and ESPN.

Yeah, the 11am spots on FOX and ABC do get more national coverage, and they do not get overrun by an earlier game that happens to run long...  so to help ratings and get viewers to tune in early on a Saturday, TEXAS is a huge draw for the networks.  

On 10/19/2021 at 12:10 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

One thought to consider for proper context. Texas's record includes a whole bunch of games against Baylor and none against Texas. Baylor's record includes a whole bunch of games against Texas and none against Baylor.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, GoldAppleCorps said:

The odds are that Baylor will lose staff to other programs quick enough that an enduring "culture" likely won't take root, but for the game approaching in 2 weeks, Texas will face a team that executes a very simple game plan very well. Texas will put more talent on the field. If that talent likewise executes very well for the entire game, Texas will land a decisive win.

I'll leave it to the individual reader to determine the chances of executing the game plan with minimal mistakes.

Loving your analysis, thanks. Makes me wonder how the hell my Pokes beat therapists by 10 with 3 turnovers…except via a smart, experienced, disciplined defense.  

35 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Loving your analysis, thanks. Makes me wonder how the hell my Pokes beat therapists by 10 with 3 turnovers…except via a smart, experienced, disciplined defense.  

oSu beat Baylor at its own game by fiercely protecting the 1st down marker. Baylor doesn't have the talent to threaten the entire field reliably, so the Cowboy defense defended the 3-7 yards past the LOS with a vengeance. That's where Baylor wants to operate to keep the chains moving and take the air out of the game. 

oSu has a pass rusher. If you do nothing, Malcolm Rodriguez will be along quickly to dump the QB. Baylor's offense isn't confident enough to punish overcommitment with a home run ball. The couple of times that Baylor broke through the Cowboy front loaded gauntlet resulted in big gains and points.

If I were scatter-shotting schemes for the Texas defense against Baylor, using Alfred Collins at End to primarily compress the OL, thus preventing them from widening the zone read, would be intriguing. I want to reduce the space in which the Baylor ball carriers work. Basically, treat this like Nebraska. Keep the running game in front of you and make the QB win with his decision making and pass ability.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Baylor has beaten two ranked teams this year.

Baylor played its worst game fundamentally against OSU at night in Stillwater, which is a tough place to play for every team. We saw what happened with OSU in Austin.

Yeah, I don't know if it was just poor execution by the offense or the Pokes D was just the perfect counter to what Baylor was doing but despite getting 3 turnovers the Bears just couldn't score points. I do think that Bohanon has become more confident over the last couple of weeks, he's thrown a couple of really pretty deep balls and what I've seen from the OC has been encouraging in that it seems that every week the game plan has been tweaked to fit the opponent. One week RJ Sneed is the primary target, the next week it's a young guy, Estrada, then it's the TE Sims, then it's Thornton with the RB's getting a good share. While everything is being run out of a limited number of base formations there's a lot of wrinkles in what they're doing out of those formations. A lot of misdirection for a D to try and recognize quickly. OSU did that really, really well. 

On 10/19/2021 at 6:00 AM, Newdoc said:

Baylor plays disciplined and their lines have a clue what to do. Would love a Texas wiin but you’re smoking crack if you think Texas takes this one in Waco. I fully expect our line play to be as crappy looking as the water on the Brazos.

Baylor is marginally better than last year. The difference is they couldn't pad their record vs. prairie view a&m types.

If you just look at their conference performances 3 things are obvious.

1. their OL sucks - which is no surprise because it sucked last year.  they cannot move the ball on the ground against teams with a pulse.

2. they can't pass rush against teams with a pulse.

3. ISU dominated them in the 2nd half, OSU dominated them in stoolwater.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Yeah, I don't know if it was just poor execution by the offense or the Pokes D was just the perfect counter to what Baylor was doing but despite getting 3 turnovers the Bears just couldn't score points. I do think that Bohanon has become more confident over the last couple of weeks, he's thrown a couple of really pretty deep balls and what I've seen from the OC has been encouraging in that it seems that every week the game plan has been tweaked to fit the opponent. One week RJ Sneed is the primary target, the next week it's a young guy, Estrada, then it's the TE Sims, then it's Thornton with the RB's getting a good share. While everything is being run out of a limited number of base formations there's a lot of wrinkles in what they're doing out of those formations. A lot of misdirection for a D to try and recognize quickly. OSU did that really, really well. 

I think it was more the former. It definitely did not play offensively vs. OSU like it did in the other games. That's college football. It should be a good game and will tell both programs a lot about where they really are.