NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

Hahaha I was literally just thinking about your dumb ass earlier tonight. How ya been, man.
You're still on ignore - btw. Earn it back if you want. 

clearly

Nut up and take the bet bitch!

I’m actually on the fence on the trade. The only way Philly wins it is if they ring this year and I don’t see it. Harden is on a fast decline. Embiid isn’t an alpha. On paper Simmons slides in nicely to the Nets, but I hate Kyrie as a player, vaccine bullshit aside.

I like the Warriors this year. Maybe Milwaukee.

How you liking the full rebuild? Hopefully we can find some scoring with three firsts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png clearly

I’m actually on the fence on the trade. The only way Philly wins it is if they ring this year and I don’t see it. Harden is on a fast decline. Embiid isn’t an alpha. On paper Simmons slides in nicely to the Nets, but I hate Kyrie as a player, vaccine bullshit aside.

How you liking the full rebuild? Hopefully we can find some scoring with three firsts..

You're welcome to join us on the Spurs thread. And forgive my assholeness - I had to welcome you back properly. Hope you and your family are doing well - think you had a newborn fairly recently.

(On the Spurs) I love what we've done. I didn't like White's contract. We need more darts to throw at the dart board. I think DJ is the fucking truth and we have a couple other intriguing pieces like Vassell and Collins. Pop seems like he's throwing everything in to try and spark one more run through the draft. We'll see what happens. 

(And I like Phoenix this year - unless Brooklyn gets healthy and gets that chemistry rolling early. I think Paul gets his ring)

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

You're welcome to join us on the Spurs thread. And forgive my assholeness - I had to welcome you back properly. Hope you and your family are doing well - think you had a newborn fairly recently.
(On the Spurs) I love what we've done. I didn't like White's contract. We need more darts to throw at the dart board. I think DJ is the fucking truth and we have a couple other intriguing pieces like Vassell and Collins. Pop seems like he's throwing everything in to try and spark one more run through the draft. We'll see what happens. 
(And I like Phoenix this year - unless Brooklyn gets healthy and gets that chemistry rolling early. I think Paul gets his ring)

You’re slipping bro, as am I. I don’t even have the energy to fuck with you with my multiple kids these days. Got bored during Covid and doubled down on the children.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You’re slipping bro, as am I. I don’t even have the energy to fuck with you with my multiple kids these days. Got bored during Covid and doubled down on the children. emoji51.png

Me? Slipping? I'm a cornerstone of shit takes. A pillar of douchebaggery. An unassailable aspect of this community. 

To catch me slipping is to catch Surly slipping atop its foundation. I'm here to stay - to the chagrin of many and to the relief of few.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You’re slipping bro, as am I. I don’t even have the energy to fuck with you with my multiple kids these days. Got bored during Covid and doubled down on the children. emoji51.png

Congrats. 1 kid to 2 isn’t really all that big a deal. It extends bullshit about babies for a couple years  but doesn’t qualitatively change your life. 
2 kids to 3 is no ducking joke. I’m glad I did it- but think hard if you decide that’s for you. My wife still cusses me 3 times a week about our third one and she’s 6. Not sure she’s ever getting over it. 

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.png clearly

How can you hate kyrie as a player? His game is pristine.

Trade round up for every team through the entire year:

Team: Atlanta Hawks
Spoiler: 
Out: Cam Reddish, Solomon Hill, 2025 2nd
In: Kevin Knox II, Protected 1st

What this seems to signal:
That they don't think Cam is what Cam thinks Cam is. Also, that they feel that they're good enough without making big changes .

Team: Boston Celtics
Spoiler: 
Out: Josh Richardson, Romeo Langford, 2022 1st, 2028 Pick Swap, Dennis Schroder, Enes Freedom, Bruno Fernando, Future 2nd
In: Derrick White, Daniel Theis, 2023 2nd

They are interested in building around Tatum/Brown and they want to cash in shaky assets for someone worth something.

Team: Brooklyn Nets
Spoiler: 
Out: James Harden
In: Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, 2022 1st, 2027 1st

They must be ecstatic Philly decided they needed to move now (due to expanding their championship window and threats of NBA investigation). The Nets were in a tailspin. Who knows where Simmons' head is at and having two guys like Simmons and Irving is going to drive Durant crazy, but the Nets had to make a move. Instead of potentially losing Harden for nothing, they get an All-Star level player who actually fits in better than Harden if Simmons is playing his game. They also get sorely needed talented depth in Curry and Drummond. We'll see if Durant, Simmons, and Irving can be the complementary players that the Bruce Brown, Blake, and Drummond Big 3 never had in Detroit.

Team: Charlotte Hornets
Spoiler: 
Out: Vernon Carey Jr., Ish Smith, 2023 BOS 2nd
In: Montrezl Harrell

Overall, they are young and willing to grow with what they have. Also, that they think that Harrell is more talent than headache. Also, that they think Ish Smith doesn't ever deserve to play for a winning team.

Team: Chicago Bulls
Spoiler: 
Out: -
In: -

They don't feel the need to give up youth like Coby, Ayo, or PWill for a guy who could possibly put them over the top now. They're willing to see what this group can give them in the playoffs.

Team: Cleveland Cavaliers
Spoiler: 
Out: Ricky Rubio, Denzel Valentine, 2022 lot-protected 1st, 2022 HOU 2nd, 2022 UTA 2nd
In: Caris LeVert, Rajon Rondo, 2022 MIA 2nd

That they believe LeVert can be more efficient if he is surrounded by more talent and that they aren't satisfied just being the happy-to-be-here surprise playoff team.

Team: Dallas Mavericks
Spoiler: 
Out: Kristaps Porzingis, 2022 2nd
In: Spencer Dinwiddie, Davis Bertans

That there was truth to the rumors that Doncic and Porzingis didn't get along. Also, that Dallas is eager to get into free agency a bit earlier in the hopes of surrounding Doncic with talent that pleases him.

Team: Denver Nuggets
Spoiler: 
Out: Bol Bol, PJ Dozier
In: Bryn Forbes

Denver had given up on the Bol Bol experiment and identified stretching the floor as the best thing they could do to complement Jokic's skills.

Team: Detroit Pistons
Spoiler: 
Out: Josh Jackson, Trey Lyles, 2 2nds
In: Marvin Bagley III

They don't see Jackson or Lyles as long term pieces so they don't mind spending them for someone who theoretically could be. Also, that Weaver likely believes that Grant can work with Cade and Bey.

Team: Golden State Warriors
Spoiler: 
Out: --
In: --

They were winning without Klay, they feel confident they can contend this year without sacrificing their youth for a short-term boost.

Team: Houston Rockets
Spoiler: 
Out: Daniel Theis
In: Dennis Schroder, Enes Freedom, Bruno Fernando

That they can do math and know that 3>1?

Team: Indiana Pacers
Spoiler: 
Out: Domantas Sabonis, Caris LeVert, Justin Holiday, Jeremy Lamb, 2023 2nd, 2022 MIA 2nd, Torrey Craig, $
In: Tyrese Halliburton, Buddy Hield, Jalen Smith, Tristan Thompson, Ricky Rubio's Contract, 2022 lot-protected Cavs 1st, 2022 Pho 2nd, 2022 HOU 2nd, 2022 Utah 2nd

They had some talent, but a mess of a team. They got the opportunity for a brighter future with Halliburton and snatched it.

Team: Los Angeles Clippers
Spoiler: 
Out: Serge Ibaka, Eric Bledsoe, Justise Winslow, Keon Johnson, David Michineau, 2025 Det 2nd, $
In: Norman Powell, Robert Covington, Rodney Hood, Semi Ojeleye, Vanja Marinkovic

They're trying to build around Kawhi/George for next year. They feel that Powell, Covington, and Hood can be supporting role players that give them the best chance.

Team: Los Angeles Lakers
Spoiler: 
Out: Rajon Rondo, Wang Zhelin, Brad Newley
In: Louis Labeyrie

The Lakers recognized that this year has been a hot mess and combined their assets because they think that Louis Labeyrie is their savior. They're probably right.

Team: Memphis Grizzlies
Spoiler: 

They believe in their young team and want to lean on internal growth.

Team: Miami Heat
Spoiler: 
Out: KZ Okpala
In: 2026 OKC 2nd, adjustments on a 1st they are sending to OKC

Maybe Okpala wanted a chance to play and Miami didn't care much to keep him?

Team: Milwaukee Bucks
Spoiler: 
Out: Donte DiVincenzo, Rodney Hood, Semi Ojeleye
In: Serge Ibaka, Sac 2nd, Det 2nd, $

They felt they needed a defensive big to replace Tucker and were willing to part with a young talent who wasn't able to contribute to their championship run.

Team: Minnesota Timberwolves
Spoiler: 

They are happy with their recent success this season and don't want to make a move that potentially screw up a winning season.

Team: New Orleans Pelicans
Spoiler: 
Out: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Josh Hart, Tomas Satoransky, Didi Louzada, 2022 protected 1st, 2026 2nd swap, 2027 2nd swap
In: CJ McCollum, Larry Nance Jr., Tony Snell

They want more to make the playoffs this year and to get more talent around Zion.

Team: New York Knicks
Spoiler: 
Out: Kevin Knox II, protected 1st,
In: Cam Reddish, Solomon Hill, 2025 ATL 2nd, Wang Zhelin, Brad Newley, $

There is no communication between front office and the coach.

Team: Oklahoma City Thunder
Spoiler: 
Out: 2026 2nd, negative adjustments on a 1st to be received from MIA, $
In: KZ Okpala, Miye Oni, future Jazz 2nd

Presti was bored and just didn't want to feel left out.

Team: Orlando Magic
Spoiler: 
Out: 2023 2nd
In: Bol Bol, PJ Dozier, Future BOS 2nd, $

They don't want to buy and didn't really have any vets worth selling. They feel injured Bol Bol + Dozier is worth giving up a minor draft asset.

Team: Philadelphia 76ers
Spoiler: 
Out: Ben Simmons, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, 2022 1st, 2027 1st
In: James Harden

Morey is partying tonight. No Sabonis, no McCollum, he was able to get Harden and keep Maxey & Thybulle. It's feeling drafty in Philly because the championship window is now open.

Team: Phoenix Suns
Spoiler: 
Out: Jalen Smith, 2022 2nd, $
In: Torrey Craig, Aaron Holiday, $

They know their championship window is now so they are assembling low-cost role players, including one they know.

Team: Portland Trailblazers
Spoiler: 
Out: CJ McCollum, Norman Powell, Robert Covington, Larry Nance Jr., Tony Snell,
In: Eric Bledsoe, Keon Johnson, Justise Winslow, Josh Hart, Didi Louzada, Elijah Hughes, UTA 2nd, 2022 protected NO 1st, 2026 NO 2nd swap, 2027 NO 2nd swap, 2025 Det 2nd

That the new GM wasn't ready for this.

Team: Sacramento Kings
Spoiler: 
Out: Tyrese Halliburton, Buddy Hield, Tristan Thompson, Marvin Bagley III, Vanja Marinkovic, 2nd
In: Domantas Sabonis, Donte DiVincenzo, Justin Holiday, Jeremy Lamb, Josh Jackson, Trey Lyles, David Michineau, DET 2nd, 2023 IND 2nd

They really really want to make the playoffs this year and they like to torture the only guy in the league who really wanted to be a King. They also see Sabonis as their new Divac.

Team: San Antonio Spurs
Spoiler: 
Out: Derrick White, Thad Young, Drew Eubanks, 2022 2nd
In: Goran Dragic, Josh Richardson, Romeo Langford, Tomas Satoransky, 2022 BOS protected 1st, 2028 BOS 1st swap, UTA 2nd

The Spurs don't feel they have enough of a foundation and want more draft capital to build with.

Team: Toronto Raptors
Spoiler: 
Out: Goran Dragic, 2022 Protected 1st
In: Thad Young, Drew Eubanks, 2022 2nd

Toronto hated paying Dragic so much they used a 1st to unload him.

Team: Utah Jazz
Spoiler: 
Out: Joe Ingles, Elijah Hughes, Miye Oni, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd
In: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Juancho Hernangomez, $

Utah may not be completely satisfied with what they have, but they didn't have the assets to do anything about it.

Team: Washington Wizards
Spoiler: 
Out: Spencer Dinwiddie, Montrezl Harrell, Davis Bertans, Aaron Holiday
In: Kristaps Porzingis, Ish Smith, Vernon Carey Jr., 2022 DAL 2nd 2023 BOS 2nd, $

They're trying to please Beal by showing the complainers (Dinwiddie & Harrell) the door and giving him a starrish player to work with.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a fan of neither team, I like the Simmons for Harden trade. It takes two disgruntled All-stars, swaps their teams, and makes them both gruntled. This is good for the East, as it will make the playoffs much more compelling to neutral fans! Brooklyn picks up Curry and Drummond to help bolster their very thin roster, and they can tread water for a while to stay in the play-in range. If they come into the playoffs with a healthy KD, Kyrie, LMA and Joe Harris, they will be a tough matchup for whoever they play. But if some of those guys are hobbled or out, then they are gonna have a bad time. I think both teams will be better overall, but I think Brooklyn "won" the trade itself. 

It will be interesting to see how the East 2-6 finish the season and if any of them tank to avoid the Nets in round 1.  2-6 are separated by 2.5 games right now, with about 25 games left. We could see some stupid jockeying for position. 

What were the Lakers supposed to do? Trade Wall for Russ and a 1st?  Even if Wall was on a minimum deal, would someone send the Lakers 27 FRP for him alone? No way. Swapping isn't really worth it for them. Granted I don't like the Lakers and would love to see them shoot themselves in the foot more, but that trade isn't helping enough this year

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

What were the Lakers supposed to do? Trade Wall for Russ and a 1st?  Even if Wall was on a minimum deal, would someone send the Lakers 27 FRP for him alone? No way. Swapping isn't really worth it for them. Granted I don't like the Lakers and would love to see them shoot themselves in the foot more, but that trade isn't helping enough this year

Nothing.  Take the ass pounding and shine their asterisk’d bubble trophy.  They’re fucked next year too.  Russ was a Hail Mary.  It failed.  I’d probably sell him on moving to the bench.  If he won’t go then, oh well.  They could stretch him in the offseason but even that won’t help much with their cap.

They actually should think about blowing it up in the offseason but won’t.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Is Russ going to actually have some value next year as a $47 million expiring?  
like- could some team send them 2 or 3 ok players with money stretched over 2 or 3 years for that one deal to clear a ton of cap space for 2023? 
I can’t think of anyone specifically but many teams just live them an expiring. 

Ben Simmons has gotten a lot of shit, and rightfully so. I'm on record as saying I don't think his basketball skills are good enough to put up with his bitchassery. I do have to give him credit in one thing though. He has not popped off in the media about this shit. You never hear Embiid or Doc's names come out of his mouth.

Ben Simmons has gotten a lot of shit, and rightfully so. I'm on record as saying I don't think his basketball skills are good enough to put up with his bitchassery. I do have to give him credit in one thing though. He has not popped off in the media about this shit. You never hear Embiid or Doc's names come out of his mouth.
He's too mentally traumatized to speak.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nothing. Lakers take the ass pounding and shine their asterisk’d bubble trophy.  They’re fucked next year too.  Russ was a Hail Mary.  It failed.  I’d probably sell him on moving to the bench.  If he won’t go then, oh well.  They could stretch him in the offseason but even that won’t help much with their cap.  They actually should think about blowing it up in the offseason but won’t.

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

It's official: no one has ever scored more points in the NBA than LeBron James.

I didn't realize he was even close to it, so much more important stuff going on this week...  Or did I miss the memo?

"He is fewer than 500 points from passing Karl Malone for No. 2 on the regular season scoring list and fewer than 2,000 points from Abdul-Jabbar for No. 1.

He passed Michael Jordan for No. 1 on the all-time playoff scoring list in 2017."

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think Mobley is getting to be a little overhyped but no one in the world is checking Embiid right now. I mean - you could do better than letting him put up 40 and 10 dimes I guess. 

Believe it or not, despite his final numbers I didn't think the Cavs played bad defense on Embiid - he was just making ridiculous shots (4 for 5 from 3, contested fadeaways from midrange...tip of the cap and nothing you can do about that).  

He's on another level right now and if he stays healthy he's my MVP over Jokic.

4 hours ago, Llogg said:

Just noticed Brandon Ingram looks to have put on about 25 pounds since getting to New Orleans. Unlike Zion that was probably good for him.

Also listed at 6'7" or something now.  I vaguely remember him being listed at 6'11".  Saw him play in Okie City and he looks like a normal player.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

An amazing accomplishment and testament to his greatness and longevity, but LeBron got the benefit of having all playoff rounds being 7 games during his career. 

How many of his first round series actually went 7 gms though?    And its not like he is slightly ahead.   He's like 1500 pts ahead IIRC

33 minutes ago, d2o said:

How many of his first round series actually went 7 gms though?    And its not like he is slightly ahead.   He's like 1500 pts ahead IIRC

There were only three rounds total until 1975, then there was a first round bye. The five game first round ended in the nineties? Lebron got a lot of extra games. But, I don’t see it as a negative. That’s just the way the league is now.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

It's a little more than just that. The NBA changed a bunch of shit around regarding the playoff format over Kareem's career. First there were only 8 teams that made the playoffs, then they expanded to 10 and had first round byes, then they had best of 3 for the first round, then best of 5, then they expanded to 12 teams, and then finally 16 in 1984 etc.

So Kareem didn't have the opportunity to play in nearly as many playoff games as Lebron did. He got to skip entire first rounds because they had a bye or even if they played in the first round, it was a best of 3 or best of 5. Every single one of Lebron's first round series was at least 4 games, every season of his career. I'm not going to go back and do the math, but I'm guessing/spitballing that Kareem missed out on what, probably 100 playoff games? 

Kareem played in 49 playoff series and 391 games in 18 years and scored 5762 points. He missed the playoffs twice. Lebron has played in 50 playoff series and 440 games 7631 points in 14 years and has missed the playoffs once.  

On 2/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, Llogg said:

Just noticed Brandon Ingram looks to have put on about 25 pounds since getting to New Orleans. Unlike Zion that was probably good for him.

It was his biggest drawback on the Lakers.  He was just way too slight to bang inside at all.  Immensely talented even then though.

19 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's a little more than just that. The NBA changed a bunch of shit around regarding the playoff format over Kareem's career. First there were only 8 teams that made the playoffs, then they expanded to 10 and had first round byes, then they had best of 3 for the first round, then best of 5, then they expanded to 12 teams, and then finally 16 in 1984 etc.

So Kareem didn't have the opportunity to play in nearly as many playoff games as Lebron did. He got to skip entire first rounds because they had a bye or even if they played in the first round, it was a best of 3 or best of 5. Every single one of Lebron's first round series was at least 4 games, every season of his career. I'm not going to go back and do the math, but I'm guessing/spitballing that Kareem missed out on what, probably 100 playoff games? 

Kareem played in 49 playoff series and 391 games in 18 years and scored 5762 points. He missed the playoffs twice. Lebron has played in 50 playoff series and 440 games 7631 points in 14 years and has missed the playoffs once.  

23 minutes ago, Kermit said:

There were only three rounds total until 1975, then there was a first round bye. The five game first round ended in the nineties? Lebron got a lot of extra games. But, I don’t see it as a negative. That’s just the way the league is now.

Good points.   I was comparing more to MJ.   Hadnt really thought about Cap.  

33 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Bron trying to make the Rams Super Bowl win about him and Lakers.  The comments are gold.   Summary - "Aint' no we, y'all are 5 games under .500 and its been 2 years since you won a championship in the bubble at Disney World."

LeBron...

giphy.gif