[Game Thread] Texas at Baylor 11am on ABC

GreenspointTexas

19 minutes ago, ONE YARD said:

Eh. Let him enjoy the win. Is comment is benign enough. 

I’m happy we won’t be helping the Waco economy anytime soon 

Someone said today that when we make our exit, the SEC will have a new bottom quartile program while simultaneously opening up a slot in the bottom half of the Big 12.  So we’ve got that going for us…

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

If the culture is you have to like a player more to perform when he is on the field then yes we are truly truly fucked.  You need to respect somebody/have faith in their ability to do their job. You can love them or hate their fucking guts personally but if when it comes nut cutting time you don't respect their ability to do their job....yer all fucked.  

This is good stuff.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We lost that game because of Casey on three first half plays. Missed (EASY) throw to Worthy, decision to throw relatively deep when he could’ve run for 10+ on 4th down and 3 (which was an absolutely retarded play that some idiots here blamed Sark for), and his late second quarter pick.

Again, Casey is exempt from criticism. I’m not calling for him to be replaced by Card. I like him. A lot, actually. But he did NOT play a good game and despite the statistics had a net negative first half. The points left on the board that he alone is responsible for absolutely cost us the game. No individual player did more to contribute to the loss than Casey. 

Most of the problems Casey is having can be fixed with time. Unfortunately there probably isn't time to fix them.

18 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Run the motherfucking ball Casey. See the bench. Or the portal. What the mother fuck are you doing 

Coach says he doesn't want QB to run. QB doesn't run.  Training.

If Casey was at ou (or Baylor, apparently), he would have kicked our ass... Easily.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

Slightly off topic.

Do y'all think Sark would have gone for 2 if TX had scored the last TD?

I wondered this at game time...  I would have. But coaches generally don't like to put the game on one play to get 3 yards. Anything can happen. Fumbled snap? Loss. One missed block (and miss A LOT)? Loss. Better chance to score in Redzone in OT and then get a stop.

Going for it is more entertaining

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Most of the problems Casey is having can be fixed with time. Unfortunately there probably isn't time to fix them.

Disagree. Bad pocket presence, slow decision making, and a below average arm is probably built in by the 4th year in a college football program. 

It's who he is. Sark needs to seriously consider putting Card back in. 

13 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Josh Moore with the fumble and dropped TD cost 10-14 points. The terrible throw to X at the 5 cost another TD.  Mistakes upon mistakes have cost UT games, could easily be 7-1. 

This plagued the last two coaches as well. In most games, Texas should able to put teams away and have a couple of close games a year. FYPM was able to do this and made it to 2 NC games. This team can certainly close out strong but looking at these familiar close losses, the low bar now is to make it to a bowl game. I hope we can beat that low bar.

30 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Disagree. Bad pocket presence, slow decision making, and a below average arm is probably built in by the 4th year in a college football program. 

At this point the season is over so we might as well give Card some snaps

35 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We saw the same lack of improvement with Sam, who had a high work ethic and more natural ability. Sam spoke about wanting to improve as pocket passer for 3 years, but didn't take it seriously until his senior year. That shows it was more on the player to develop than the coaches developing players.

I generally supported Herman because he was better than Strong, but Herman did not develop players well. We see that with Casey.

Edited to add that the jury is out on Sark, but I don't see much individual improvement under him either, but he hasn't been here very long. If we want to get top level recruits we'll need to prove that we can develop them into first round draft material in their time with us.

Edited by Disco Missile

Hey I feel like stabbing myself with a spoon too but that's a bit much.  Keep in mind of the 15 teams with the best chance to make the playoff, 4 are from the Big 12.  When we move we will struggle with alabama, georgia when we play them, and blowu, but the rest of the SEC is garbage.  The Big 12 top isn't as good as the SEC top teams but the average is waaaay higher.  A bad year for us in the SEC is 3 losses.

Are you high (man im jealous cause i wanna be high)? Shitty arkansas just blew our doors off. Wed be 2-6 right now in the sec.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Card does the same shit with pocket presence and slow decision making. 

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

We saw the same lack of improvement with Sam, who had a high work ethic and more natural ability. Sam spoke about wanting to improve as pocket passer for 3 years, but didn't take it seriously until his senior year. That shows it was more on the player to develop than the coaches developing players.

I generally supported Herman because he was better than Strong, but Herman did not develop players well. We see that with Casey.

Edited to add that the jury is out on Sark, but I don't see much individual improvement under him either, but he hasn't been here very long. If we want to get top level recruits we'll need to prove that we can develop them into first round draft material in their time with us.

Maybe Casey is at his ceiling as a qb, hell he helps qbs at football camps and his footwork sucks.

5 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Maybe Casey is at his ceiling as a qb, hell he helps qbs at football camps and his footwork sucks.

I see things like that and it makes me question everything.
I believed that the real nuts and bolts of coaching football was to perfect player mechanics. Right way, right results. I question that now, but if that's not what coaching is then what is it?

3 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I see things like that and it makes me question everything.
I believed that the real nuts and bolts of coaching football was to perfect player mechanics. Right way, right results. I question that now, but if that's not what coaching is then what is it?

Coaching is identifying strengths and weaknesses, maximizing the strengths, and when it comes to weaknesses fixing those things that can be fixed, mitigating those things that can't.  If the last one is a bridge too far you find somebody else to coach.

Problems arise when you spend too much time/energy trying to fix things that are not going to change rather than either maximizing/mitigating/moving on.  

24 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Coaching is identifying strengths and weaknesses, maximizing the strengths, and when it comes to weaknesses fixing those things that can be fixed, mitigating those things that can't.  If the last one is a bridge too far you find somebody else to coach.

Problems arise when you spend too much time/energy trying to fix things that are not going to change rather than either maximizing/mitigating/moving on.  

Fair, but man, you just can't throw off balance like Casey does and have any consistency.

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And Thompson has only started 6 games. Both are inexperienced and until i see this great arm of cards in an actual game it's just sunshine practice report hoopla. 

Casey Thompson is 23 years old and has been in this program for 4 years. For fuck's sake. 

For reference, Lamar Jackson is 24 years old. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bryce Young is same age as Card but doesn’t look like a chicken with his head cut off. 

Card was running for his life in the Louisiana game, and managed to show flashes and settled in as the game went on. 

Card was very bad against Arkansas, as was the rest of the team.  That was a buzzsaw game and hard to put much stock in IMO. 

That's all we have on him. Let's not forget Sark had an offseason competition and chose Card to start the season. 

We saw the same lack of improvement with Sam, who had a high work ethic and more natural ability. Sam spoke about wanting to improve as pocket passer for 3 years, but didn't take it seriously until his senior year.

In what aspect of his game did you see lack of improvement for 3 years?

Then what makes you think he finally took it seriously his last year?

At this point if Sark wants to work Card in there go ahead. We needed to see if Casey could be the guy who played the Alamo Bowl and the end of Ark/TTU games and we've now seen he is not. If he thinks Card can ever be the guy here to win with might as well get him going now and start finding out.