Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Assuming we land the Brock. Bros that more than likely leaves 3 spots ( I don't think we'll be able to convince the big time guys to come on board for 6 man OL class ).  So you're looking at 3 of Conner, Jackson, Byrd, Fatheree, and Foster.  

I really like Byrd as a Tackle and then you have to see if you can convince the other guys to come on as possibly Guards.  Not sure if Jackson would do that.  Foster is Guard all the way IMO.  Conner has took reps at both Tackle and Guard in camps.  

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, we may have to tell someone no.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, I do. Thanks. 

Ok well in that case it does seem silly to not offer. Even if you’re unsure of his ceiling, bet on him filling out more given the genetics involved. He already has more offers than Luke, who came as PWO. 

I wonder when he could get offered now?  Not until next fall I bet. Herman has said before that offers are earned on Friday nights. He’s already seen all last year’s tape on James. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Other notable head-scratching delayed offers, off the top of my head: Cedric Benson, Quandre Diggs and Sam Ehlinger.

Was Sam a late offer? I recall people being pissed we took him so early. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy boards are talking all about Conner and Foster how good they've looked in reps and being future ags.  Guess nobody has informed them that both have Texas in top 3 and no aggy.

Please observe aggy on Garth. They loved him. Best Oline in the state. " we are getting a good one" 

Fast forward to Garth to Texas. Now the line is " look at this weak ass getting another star after committing to tu, BOMC!!!"

Same deal w Conner and Foster. The back peddle will be epic

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy boards are talking all about Conner and Foster how good they've looked in reps and being future ags.  Guess nobody has informed them that both have Texas in top 3 and no aggy.

Neither did Demond “1000% locked in and will never flip to Bama” Demas ya stupid sip

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Anyone know if the percentiles are relative to the player's position? Or all tested?

haha I wondered that for a moment. If 50th percentile was 5.06 for high school OL then they would need to open a supermutant-NFL league to put these kids in after college.

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Think it was deciding between prioritizing Ehlinger and Shawn Robinson 

Nah, we prioritized Robinson and TCU won that recruitment - hence the infamous "Texas misses out" tweet by the Baylor mod. Then it was whether we'd offer Sam or Moscorro.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Nah, we prioritized Robinson and TCU won that recruitment - hence the infamous "Texas struck out" tweet by the Baylor mod. Then it was whether we'd offer Sam or Moscorro.

I remember people mentioning moscorro, but I don't remember him being a guy we'd seriously take over Ehlinger. But I also wasn't here 

IT on Stone

PRESTON STONE

At 6-foot-2, 170-pounds, the righty with a fastball and touch on most of the passing tree chart throws.

The 40+ offers thing before 16th birthday still cracks me up.

“My family has been great throughout the whole process and the administrative staff at Parish (Episcopal) has been a huge help,” Stone said. “It has made the recruiting process much easier to have a great support group.”

Stone doesn't have any visits or camps scheduled, except seeing Texas again soon.

“I’m sure I’ll go down for a practice this spring I just have to talk with my parents to figure out when,” Stone said.

What is the four-star signal-caller looking for in a program?

“For school,” Stone explains, “I really want to find a place with the best culture so it’s a group of guys who play for the ones around them. I definitely want to find a place with the best combination of football and academics. With finding the best culture comes playing with guys that you know are going to get after it every morning and every practice. Those are the kind of guys I want to play with.”

He sounds like a quarterback to me. The craziest thing still is he’s still got two more years of high school ball. The not-so-crazy thing is UT is the team to beat.

Ja'Tavion Sanders via 247 :: 

Ja’Tavion Sanders has officially arrived on the recruiting scene.

The fast-rising 2021 defensive end out of Denton Ryan has racked up several major offers this offseason and established himself as one of the most sought after underclassmen in the country.

“It’s been crazy,” Sanders said. “My mom is so proud of me. SMU and Texas are the schools that I have visited. I’m interested in Oklahoma, TCU and Oklahoma State.”

Sanders notched an offer from Texas during his unofficial visit for junior day last month. The way the Longhorns presented the scholarship was impactful for Sanders.

“Coach (Tom) Herman offered me himself,” Sanders said. “I was very proud of that. Coach Herman said overall he likes me. He likes my body type and said I’m a great young man and have good grades. That’s what he’s looking for.”

While it’s still early in his recruiting process, Sanders said Texas is very high on his mind.

“Texas is definitely in consideration,” Sanders said. “The coaches are great, especially Coach Herman. What he’s done for this program over the past year is great. All my family is diehard Longhorns fans.”

Sanders would like to visit Texas again this offseason.

At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, Sanders is not ranked at this time. 

247 recruiting notes

—Let’s go to the 2021 offensive line group. The Katy Taylor duo of Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster are both planning to return to Austin soon for a spring practice. They’ve also got upcoming visits planned to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Stanford. It’s clear that both players plan on taking their time and doing thorough research. There’s not much to see at this time with either, but if I had to guess I’d say that Foster sounds a little higher on the Longhorns than Conner right now.

— Elite 2021 Bellaire Episcopal offensive lineman Donovan Jackson is also taking his time. Jackson, Foster and Conner are all very smart kids, and they are also close with one another. That said, I don’t’ get the feeling there is any type of package deal going on here. Jackson said that he’s maintaining a very good relationship with Herb Hand, but he wants to see as many of his top programs as possible. Jackson will visit Ohio State for its spring game, and the Buckeyes are a bigger threat than most realize. Jackson’s family is from Ohio, and he is the only Texas-born member. Jackson said his mom actually carries buckeyes in her purse regularly.

— The Longhorns hosted a number of spring visitors last week for practices. Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer were on campus with their father Blake. I was told the group had a great visit, and they are very familiar with what Texas brings to the table. They ended the week with a visit to Michigan, where James picked up a Wolverine offer. Texas will evaluate James during the spring, but I don’t expect either to shut it down any time soon.

— During my time in Georgia, I stopped by Grayson (GA) to spend some time with Watson and catch up with 2021 offered targets Phil Mafah and Noah Collins. I actually put in a Crystal Ball pick for Collins to land at LSU, but he told me the next visit he wants to make is ‘for sure to Texas.’ Mafah is intrigued by the Texas program and has been talking a lot to Watson. But I got the sense that he wants to stay closer to home — at least at this point in his process.

IT on Conner, Foster, and Brandon Campbell:

By: Eric Nahlin 

If it feels like we've been talking about Katy Taylor duo Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster for a long time it's because we have. Amazingly, they're still in their sophomore year of high school.

I started off joking with Conner about how unassuming he is standing around waiting for his reps. He often looks like he's thinking about outer space and with the future aerospace engineer that might actually be true. When his name is called, however, he's all athlete. I believe he was measured at 6-foot-6, 317 pounds. He's down a little weight from the season and carrying it well. I think he's due for a very big junior year based on the quickness he's showing. He's always been blessed with good feet as a player who outgrew tight end sometime around the 8th grade.

Foster is similar in that he's an intelligent, giant kid with quickness that belies his monstrous build. That build is as much strongman as football player with his broad shoulders and muscled up back. The guy was born to play football. Or was it to throw shot and discus? Yes to both. We know he has the power but as he gets used to his body he's also getting quicker. That's a scary thought. At 6-foot-5, 319 pounds he ran a 5.06 40 yard dash. It requires overall body quickness to get up and moving that quickly. That's the same explosiveness that makes him a two-sport star.

I caught up with the affable duo after Sunday's Houston Opening where each were named top-five performers and made a case for OL MVP (won by fellow 2021 star Donovan Jackson). 

Inside Texas: This question goes to each of you: what visits do you have upcoming?

Hayden Conner: I've got Stanford coming up and I'm looking to go up to A&M soon. 

IT: Do you have dates on either?

HC: Stanford's in April. [gestures to Bryce] Do you know when Stanford is?

Bryce Foster: It's the first weekend in April.

IT: You guys are going out there together?

BF: Yes, we're going out there together.

IT: What about you, what do you have upcoming? 

BF: Just like he said, I'm going to Stanford and A&M. I'm going to try and get up to UT soon as well.

IT: Is the A&M trip for the spring game? 

HC: No, I just want to go meet Coach Henson in person and get to know the engineering department.

IT: Are you guys going to any spring games?

BF: I think I'm going to the OU spring game.

IT: That's going to be a wild day with OU, A&M, and UT's spring game all on the same day. When was the last time you were at Texas, Hayden?

HC: It was probably when they were practicing for their bowl game. It was a while ago.

IT: Do you have plans to get back up there?

HC: I'm going to try to.

IT: Do you still talk to them often?

HC: Yes sir.

IT: Are you still talking to Coach Hand often, Bryce?

BF: Yeah, I just got off the phone a few days ago with Coach Hand. I was seeing if I could go to a practice Friday but it was early in the morning and I wasn't able to get there. They said they're off this week for spring break and then next week they're starting up practice again so I'm going to try and get up there then.

IT: Last time we talked you said you had a good relationship with Hand, is that still the case? And what about you Hayden, do you have a good relationship?

BF: Yes sir.

HC: Yes sir.

IT: Bryce you've been occupied with track and field. You threw 184 in the discus?

BF: 187.2 in the discus and then, uh, my shot's kind of in a slump right now sitting at 58.

IT: You should get Hayden to help you on the trajectory of your shot.

BF: I can just have him stand in front of me.

IT: Now it's starting to sound like Braveheart when Hamish is throwing rocks at William. Always good catching up with you guys. I appreciate it.

The Katy Taylor 2021 duo of prospects is actually a trio. How would you like to be running back Brandon Campbell with Foster and Conner up front?

Campbell, a 5-foot-10, 190 pound all-purpose back had the second highest SPARQ rating on the day, only bested by five-star 2020 running back Zach Evans.

The rating was accumulated by a 4.58 40 yard dash, a 36.4 inch vertical jump, a 4.07 shuttle, and a whopping 41.5 foot powerball throw.

Those are quite the numbers across the board for a sophomore. In talking with him and his father, the picture became clearer.

Brandon's father, Kevin, is a former basketball player who is now a physical therapist. He understands how the body is supposed to operate and has always focused on his son's hips and core. "That powerball toss, that's all core. Athletes are used to involving their legs in everything but take the legs away and now how strong are you?" 

Campbell is much more than just an athlete. Last season he ran for 676 yards on 131 attempts while adding 13 receptions for 198 yards. His ability as a receiver is going to be a differentiator for him. He has natural hands and time spent with skills trainer Margin Hooks will help him with the nuance of the position.

U of H and Dana Holgorsen have taken notice and it's easy to see Campbell in that offense, but my guess is he'll be a highly coveted P5 player. 

Texas has noticed as well and Campbell visited for the USC game last September.