Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Bobby Burton: Thursday

I continue to be impressed by the work of the Texas football personnel staff. With the announced addition yesterday of former Michigan receiver Tarik Black and the possible addition later today of high school defensive back and former Baylor signee Jahdae Barron, the Horns' football personnel group will have used the off-season to improve the team yet again.

Last year, the Horns added three players in the off-season in offensive linemen Parker Braun and Willie Tyler and linebacker Juwan Mitchell. Braun and Mitchell became starters while Tyler could be a key back-up as early as this season. The year before that, the Horns added starters Calvin Anderson and Tre Watson in the off-season.

Adding players in the off-season is not just dumb luck. It's clearly a trend and a concerted effort. For that, I commend the personnel staff. It's easy to focus solely on recruiting four-year or Juco players who all have a definitive timeline in which they make their decisions. It's not so easy finding players and recruiting ones that aren't on that same timeline.

But whether it's the actual recruitment, or even the identification of the players, the Horns have a little something going here. Hats off to Tom Herman for creating a deeper personnel group than Texas has ever had. Because without them, I don't think these recruitments happen and the players certainly don't end up donning the Burnt Orange.

Here's a question to ponder. Would you rather Texas play football this fall with no - or very limited - fans in the stands? Or wait until the spring when more fans might be able to attend? For me, so long as it's deemed safe for the players, I'd prefer to see them play in the fall rather than waiting until the spring. Perhaps that's a question Chip Brown can ask Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte when he joins us for our Social Distancing live chat.

Edited by satyanash

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Thursday

Hide contents

I continue to be impressed by the work of the Texas football personnel staff. With the announced addition yesterday of former Michigan receiver Tarik Black and the possible addition later today of high school defensive back and former Baylor signee Jahdae Barron, the Horns' football personnel group will have used the off-season to improve the team yet again.

Last year, the Horns added three players in the off-season in offensive linemen Parker Braun and Willie Tyler and linebacker Juwan Mitchell. Braun and Mitchell became starters while Tyler could be a key back-up as early as this season. The year before that, the Horns added starters Calvin Anderson and Tre Watson in the off-season.

Adding players in the off-season is not just dumb luck. It's clearly a trend and a concerted effort. For that, I commend the personnel staff. It's easy to focus solely on recruiting four-year or Juco players who all have a definitive timeline in which they make their decisions. It's not so easy finding players and recruiting ones that aren't on that same timeline.

But whether it's the actual recruitment, or even the identification of the players, the Horns have a little something going here. Hats off to Tom Herman for creating a deeper personnel group than Texas has ever had. Because without them, I don't think these recruitments happen and the players certainly don't end up donning the Burnt Orange.

Here's a question to ponder. Would you rather Texas play football this fall with no - or very limited - fans in the stands? Or wait until the spring when more fans might be able to attend? For me, so long as it's deemed safe for the players, I'd prefer to see them play in the fall rather than waiting until the spring. Perhaps that's a question Chip Brown can ask Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte when he joins us for our Social Distancing live chat.

Which  brings up another question to ponder.  Would we rather have Chip Brown social distance from the program in the fall or permanently?  I'd prefer permanently but maybe you can ask Chris Del Conti when he joins for the Social Distancing live chat.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Seems like a kid can get on campus for a game and flip if we want IMO.

Honestly seems like the classic "why the fuck are you sticking to this random commitment date" kind of situation. Wait out the pandemic, visit and see if your dream school lives up to expectation, and if not, commit to ASU.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Which  brings up another question to ponder.  Would we rather have Chip Brown social distance from the program in the fall or permanently?  I'd prefer permanently but maybe you can ask Chris Del Conti when he joins for the Social Distancing live chat.  

FU_CHIP_BROWN.jpg

• Like 6

Looks like Brooks is about to commit. Nick Harris with the CB, Joe Cook with the allusion on the IT boards.

I definitely want Williams, and if it's really about "relationships", I'm sure the dream school wins out before NSD

Harmon/Mukuba/Coffey/Ish may be working on a Flex DB commitment video together per Super K's deleted tweet that said something like he was "flexing his package video muscles" and it's not something they often see. . Didn't get a screen shot, but it's gone now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Looks like Brooks is about to commit. Nick Harris with the CB, Joe Cook with the allusion on the IT boards.

I definitely want Williams, and if it's really about "relationships", I'm sure the dream school wins out before NSD

Harmon/Mukuba/Coffey/Ish may be working on a Flex DB commitment video together per Super K's deleted tweet that said something like he was "flexing his package video muscles" and it's not something they often see. . Didn't get a screen shot, but it's gone now. 

Would be fun to wrap up our DB recruiting in one day.

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Those four plus Bowman would be a pretty solid DB class, especially after adding Barron to the previous class 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Those four plus Bowman would be a pretty solid DB class, especially after adding Barron to the previous class 

I really like Mukuba.  Clemson wants him and they are better than anyone right now when it comes to picking players that are talent and culture fits.  II is the best CB in the state and one of the best in the country.  He has every big name program after him.  That would be a huge get.  Bowman is honey badger 2.0.  I think he’s a more talented D’shawn Jaimison and I’m a huge Jaimison fan.  You’ve got a guy that can play WR, nickel, CB, and will be a day one starter on special teams and in the return game.  Coffey and Harmon I don’t know much about.  I want Harmon just for the aggy tears.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The fraudulent cocksucker who publishes false information and damages the football team? The answer is 100% - permanently.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Honestly seems like the classic "why the fuck are you sticking to this random commitment date" kind of situation. Wait out the pandemic, visit and see if your dream school lives up to expectation, and if not, commit to ASU.

i mean, it's ASU not LSU. no reason to "save" a spot at this point like Jojo

32 minutes ago, satyanash said:

this is shaping up to be a brutal loss. And of course, it's another DFW recruitment.

i mean, yes it would suck.

but is it really "brutal" to lose the #855 composite player in the Country/#118 in Texas (#116 in TX per 247 alone)?

edit: didn't see who posted it, my bad. 

Sorry The Hangover GIF

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

this is shaping up to be a brutal loss. And of course, it's another DFW recruitment.

Good grief. As someone who is fine with a realistic recruiting board that isn’t just a bunch of sunshine pumping, this is a ridiculous comment.

He’s a three star talent that would be nice to get, but it’s not that big of a deal. Here’s a little math for you to remember. With 25 slots and over 125 offers sent out, a fan will be disappointed four times as much as they will be happy, or in your case, 100% of the time you’ll be unhappy. 

Updated ESPN 2021 TX Rankings. Shedeur Sanders is a weird way to spell Terrance Cooks

2) Tommy Brockermeyer
18) Savion Byrd
40) Tunmise Adeleye
41) Shedeur Sanders
42) Camar Wheaton
49) Ja'Tavion Sanders
56) Sawyer Robertson
62) Garrett Nussmeier
70) JoJo Earle
75) Landon Jackson
76) Billy Bowman
81) Jaeden Roberts