2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Starting to get excited about having the 2 most athletic guys in the lineup batting 7th and 8th. I think I prefer Siri in CF over McCormick. If those 2 guys steal 40+ bases combined, Maldonado might drive in 50 runs.

Word.  That Pena/Siri combo is similar to the old rebuilding lineups.  Not much was expected but there was upside there and they were exciting to watch.

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Word.  That Pena/Siri combo is similar to the old rebuilding lineups.  Not much was expected but there was upside there and they were exciting to watch.

Yeah, I think they are going to see a lot of FBs, because once you get through the top 6, you are going to want to preserve pitches.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah I hope Siri doesn't play much.  I don't see whatever some of you guys are seeing.  I also think in general I'd rather be sure of turning the lineup over than get runners thrown out ahead of Machete.

He’s very athletic and has the loud tools but struck out in 1/3 of his PAs in AA and AAA and his MLB cup of coffee. He turns 27 this season, so this is probably about who he’s going to be. I’ve also heard he’s a bit of a knucklehead (late to meetings, etc.). Not a bad bench guy because he’s got the power and speed, but he’ll have a really hard time playing every day with that K% (unless he starts walking a lot more, which is pretty doubtful). 

Yeah, the big thing to me is that he's going to strike out 35% of the time.  Those are Chris Carter numbers but he's not going to walk nearly as much as Carter.  I mean there's a reason he was almost 26 before finally getting a cup of coffee last year.

damn that’s a great article about yuli and the Astros Cuban pipeline. If crane doesn’t sign Yuli  to a lifetime contract, that’s just flat out dumb 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Yuli-Gurriel-serves-as-hero-inspiration-for-17053153.php?fbclid=IwAR1AwvCGXevjKai5nion4n8_T1dyeLWc3JsHI4zTAc0QYiS4m28ZRzUrheM

Edited by tx 3 putt

Could I interest you in a flyer on Upton?

angels just cut him. 218 BA with 17 HR and 60 rbi. I think I’d prefer that to Siri  stopgap until Meyers gets back?  Better than Goodrum (If Peña breaks camp as starting SS). 
he’s probably washed, but that might be a guy that You could look at for a couple months for League minimum and see if you caught lightning in a bottle. 

I see all of this talk here about Siri, Meyers and potential acquisitions but nothing but crickets about Chas. He’s solid, though not spectacular. His numbers last year are identical to Meyers. Siri is too spectacular in a Gomez kind of way. McCormick will get more playing time than both, maybe combined. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Could I interest you in a flyer on Upton?

angels just cut him. 218 BA with 17 HR and 60 rbi. I think I’d prefer that to Siri  stopgap until Meyers gets back?  Better than Goodrum (If Peña breaks camp as starting SS). 
he’s probably washed, but that might be a guy that You could look at for a couple months for League minimum and see if you caught lightning in a bottle. 

Well, he’s 34 and hasn’t been even an average offensive player in any of the last 3 seasons. He’s projected to be about as productive offensively as Chas and figures to be worse defensively. I always liked Upton but he has faded quickly the last few seasons. 

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Well, he’s 34 and hasn’t been even an average offensive player in any of the last 3 seasons. He’s projected to be about as productive offensively as Chas and figures to be worse defensively. I always liked Upton but he has faded quickly the last few seasons. 

All true. My counterpoint- is he possibly better than Siri as a part time guy- 4th OF until Meyers gets back?  
I’m not pounding the table or anything for him, but might investigate. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I see all of this talk here about Siri, Meyers and potential acquisitions but nothing but crickets about Chas. He’s solid, though not spectacular. His numbers last year are identical to Meyers. Siri is too spectacular in a Gomez kind of way. McCormick will get more playing time than both, maybe combined. 

Dusty hates him. No idea why. The FO doesn’t seem interested in telling him who to play and when, so he just doesn’t seem likely to get as much PT as he probably ought to. 
in my mind when Meyers back he should be a platoon partner to Bradley and a late innings replacement for him. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

58 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Upton is garbage but would be cheap as fuck since Angels still gonna pay him a shit ton.

No thanks. .232/.332/.443   2.1 WAR over last 4 years in which he only played in 340 games. And he sucks in the field. My favorite Upton moment:

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Between Cashman’s outrage, Beltran’s deflection and Judge’s hypocrisy, the Yankees look more stupid than usual. 
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33662894/new-york-yankees-aaron-judge-says-team-new-broadcaster-carlos-beltran-need-address-role-sign-stealing-scandal

What is it- every accusation is a confession?  

YES: We hired one of the 2017 Astros.

Judge: Those Astros cheated and don't deserve to be called World Series champions!

YES: The one is Carlos Beltran.

Judge: Oh shit. That one "helped us" before 2017.

YES: Don't worry. We won't ask about 2014 - 2016.

Judge: Thank God. The things we've got to do this year are more important than anything that happened in the past.