Texas Tech to name new corch

Pam Cummings

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is like hiring Traylor for Tech. He's loved in Texas high schools, he's won at that level, and he's witnessed quality development at the college level. For comparison's sake, Texas has a proven loser who has never won a fucking thing on his own and is the only coach in the last 3 decades to be fired from a P5 program in the middle of the season for going on regular benders involving booze, cocaine, and coed pussy (while married). 

So, yeah, McGuire will have a better team in 2023 than Sarkisian, while Sarkisian's buddies in the media will be calling Texas a cesspool while defending him as he tumbles towards another 6-7 season, the 3rd in a string of 4 5-7/7-6 seasons before he's fired and goes back to being an analyst for a while under a near octogenarian Saban.

Or he'll succeed.

One thing is certain, we're going to get at least three seasons to find out.

Just goes to show there are 3 maybe 4 guaranteed hires in college football. Tech isn't getting one if those. Tcu isn't getting one of those. Baylor isn't getting one of those when aranda goes to lsu. 

Everyone else is shit throwing shit against a wall and hoping. Sometimes you get the first 10 years of mack. Sometimes you get everything else. 

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Lmao

You've established yourself as a staunch supporter and defender of Sarkisian on this board. It should be fun watching it all work out. 

24 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why the fuck did they fire Wells midseason just to hire Mcguire?

Tech wanted to go in first on Traylor, and they did. TCU told his agent to hold off on making any decisions until after the season. Agent said "things are moving faster than that" and TCU fired Patterson when he confirmed he wouldn't Orgeron things and declare an end of year retirement. Then the University of Texas System Board of Regents gave Traylor an aggressive offer to sit tight for a year, maybe 3 years, before picking another opportunity. It worked for him and got UTSA another few years to prosper. Put the rest of the puzzle pieces together however you'd like to make sense of it.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Haha 1

I’m at the point now where I actually want Sark to get fired in a boozed fueled blaze of glory. Sure our admin will take some heat but I bet we have contract language to protect us from buying him out and everyone will understand we had no choice.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You've established yourself as a staunch supporter and defender of Sarkisian on this board. It should be fun watching it all work out. 

Tech wanted to go in first on Traylor, and they did. TCU told his agent to hold off on making any decisions until after the season. Agent said "things are moving faster than that" and TCU fired Patterson when he confirmed he wouldn't Orgeron things and declare an end of year retirement. Then the University of Texas System Board of Regents gave Traylor an aggressive offer to sit tight for a year, maybe 3 years, before picking another opportunity. It worked for him and got UTSA another few years to prosper. Put the rest of the puzzle pieces together however you'd like to make sense of it.

1. He could still go to TCU, buyout be damned.

2. HE's waiting for our job or aggy's.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m at the point now where I actually want Sark to get fired in a boozed fueled blaze of glory. Sure our admin will take some heat but I bet we have contract language to protect us from buying him out and everyone will understand we had no choice.  

Be careful what you ask for…he was fired at USC for that and wound up suing the school for wrongful termination, because protected class. I don’t remember the outcome (settlement or what), but yeah he’s a piece of crap

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So, yeah, McGuire will have a better team in 2023 than Sarkisian, while Sarkisian's buddies in the media will be calling Texas a cesspool while defending him as he tumbles towards another 6-7 season, the 3rd in a string of 4 5-7/7-6 seasons before he's fired and goes back to being an analyst for a while under a near octogenarian Saban.

Better record? Possibly, maybe even probably, as by then they will be in group of 5 conference and Texas will be in the SEC. Like comparing apples ans oranges. 

But actually be a better team? Id be surprised. 

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Better record? Possibly, maybe even probably, as by then they will be in group of 5 conference and Texas will be in the SEC. Like comparing apples ans oranges. 

But actually be a better team? Id be surprised. 

No, I know they'll be in different conferences, but yeah, Tech would beat Texas on a neutral field in 2023. We've got an outright imbecile running things right now.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Be careful what you ask for…he was fired at USC for that and wound up suing the school for wrongful termination, because protected class. I don’t remember the outcome (settlement or what), but yeah he’s a piece of crap

I understand anyone who feels wronged can sue anyone for any reason. It’s my understanding that Texas has language in his contract to protect itself in the event he goes full Charlie Sheen again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, USC_TMB said:

Not protected class, exactly, but ADA.

He lost.  Under the ADA, a firing institution must provide accommodations for the sick or disabled, to include a stint in rehab and related for alcoholics.  However, if the alcoholic is already letting it interfere with job performance in a more than theoretical way, then no accommodation necessary. 

ADA protects addicts so long as they don't actively fuck up on the job because of the impairment.  It's thin protection, but it keeps them from shitcanning if you self-report and ask for help before fucking up.  Possibly even if you fail a drug test and ask for help.

Edited by TwiceHorn

For the last 8ish years, I’ve kind of wondered why tech doesn’t hire one of those triple option dudes from army or whatever. Yeah the spread is their identity and all, but everyone has caught and surpassed them with the spread. Why not run the triple option and see if you can squeeze out some 8-4 type seasons with an upset or 2. Playing a style no one runs anymore with players who’ve never had to defend it would be a pain in the ass for every team on their schedule.
A bigger pain in the ass would be recruiting decent players to run the triple option. Even far west Texas hs teams more or less run the same type spread offense as the rest of the state

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I have no idea whether or not he'll succeed in Austin but after all the bashing in this thread, I'm pretty sure the sim has him lined up next for UT. 

They played in Austin this year so chances are he never coaches a game in Austin while at tech

7 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

"Steve Sarkisian loses $30 million lawsuit against USC over firing" 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2018/07/09/sarkisian-loses-30m-lawsuit-against-usc-over-firing/36743927/

10 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why the fuck did they fire Wells midseason just to hire Mcguire?

Because he’s already out recruited Wells and he’s not even made it to Lubbock:

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1457824131819442181?s=12

https://twitter.com/benjamingolan/status/1457839856357359627?s=21

https://twitter.com/carsontdean/status/1457854943520493574?s=21

https://twitter.com/matt_harris13/status/1457872761418813443?s=21

2 hours ago, ousux said:
14 hours ago, Fletch said:
For the last 8ish years, I’ve kind of wondered why tech doesn’t hire one of those triple option dudes from army or whatever. Yeah the spread is their identity and all, but everyone has caught and surpassed them with the spread. Why not run the triple option and see if you can squeeze out some 8-4 type seasons with an upset or 2. Playing a style no one runs anymore with players who’ve never had to defend it would be a pain in the ass for every team on their schedule.

A bigger pain in the ass would be recruiting decent players to run the triple option. Even far west Texas hs teams more or less run the same type spread offense as the rest of the state

Not really. They’d get the same level of recruits as they are now and they’d be running an offense no current football player has seen in their lives. Or do you suggest they keep running the spread and going 5-7 every year? Good lord dude, you can find an ocean of 3 stars that are “dual threat quarterbacks” with solid running backs and an o like who’s only job is to fucking block the dude in front of him and let the qb make the reads and make plays himself or with his fullback or his small handful of scat and power backs.

Recruiting against Texas, ou, okie lite,  aggy, lsu, Arkansas, tcu, smu, baylor and cougar high is difficult to say the least for a shithole, but there are plenty of dudes in the southwest who can easily be coached up into that system 

On 11/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, Moby Ric said:

I have no idea about this new guy.  But he can't be worse than Wells.

Did wells ever lose the coin flip so bad he kicked off both halves?

Edited by B00M
No? It can be worse